Forwards/Backwards Compatability of Genesis, M4/V4, and M5/V5 Clothing?

GhoulsbyGhoulsby Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi everyone. I just started playing around with Daz 3D and love it!

I already purchased the V5 starter bundle. I wanted to purchase some other clothing and stuff, but I'm confused what works with what.

For instance, the clothing from my Genesis bundle seems to work with V5, does that mean any clothing in the store labeled for Genesis will also work?

Secondly, will clothing and such for V4 work with V5? If it doesn't will it automatically grant me the V4 model so I can use the clothes I purchased, or will I have to purchase V4 separately?

Thanks for the help! I'm sure if you've been here since 2009 this doesn't seem that confusing, but for a first time user it is!

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Think of Genesis as a base figure....anything made for Genesis should work for Morphs like V5 and M5 etc.

V4 clothes will after a fashion fit Genesis via the AutoFit Tool. But my opinion if you are new to all this then stick with genesis made items. I and others have trouble with Capes, Shoes, long one peice dresses etc when using Autofit. Take this image http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2765/P120/#153850 Genesis with M4 clothing.

And you wouldl have to Purchase V4

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited November 2012

HI :)

does that mean any clothing in the store labeled for Genesis will also work?

Yes,. V5 and M5 are both figure shapes for the base Genesis figure,. so, clothing "for genesis" will fit all character variations of the base genesis figure whether that's V5 or the Troll.

Will clothing and such for V4 work with V5?

Yes,. Daz Studio, and Carrara use an auto-fit feature, which can allow clothing built for older figures to work and "Fit to" the different shapes of genesis.

I think you also need the "iconic shapes for V4/M4/F4/A4/G4 to get the full range of generation 4 clothing Auto-fitted to genesis.
    there's also Iconic shapes for generation 3 Figures which add the same ability to auto-fit their clothing to genesis.

The Iconic shapes for genesis allows you to change genesis into V4, M4, Freak4, Aiko4, Hiro4 etc, , just as easily as you can currently change genesis into V5 or M5.

Hope it helps :)

Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

Ghoulsby said:

For instance, the clothing from my Genesis bundle seems to work with V5, does that mean any clothing in the store labeled for Genesis will also work?

Any clothing for Genesis should work with V5 or any other Genesis based character.

Secondly, will clothing and such for V4 work with V5? If it doesn't will it automatically grant me the V4 model so I can use the clothes I purchased, or will I have to purchase V4 separately?

You can try to auto fit V4 clothing to V5, it sometimes works well, and sometimes does not work so great.

Auto fit works well for tight fitting clothing. Auto fit does not work well for shoes and long loose fitting dresses or skirts.

I have the V4 shape for Genesis too, and I usually auto fit to that when trying to use V4 clothing.

Things like tight blouses, pants, shorts, tight mini-skirts, bikinis seem to work with auto fit..

Full skirts or dresses have problems that sometimes can be handled, although I have not had much luck.

I have never gotten high heel shoes to work.

I think you have to purchase V4 separately.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

One last money saving tip: Autofit for V4 and M4 is built into DS4.5 you do not need any extra files to use items for V4 or M4. As said Some will work well and Some will not. Texture Sets for V4 and M4 are also built in. If you find a Skin texture for V4 or M4 you can use them on Genesis without buying other items as well.