Strata Foto SE compatibility

laynemoorelaynemoore Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

If I create an object with Strata Foto 3D SE, can I export and use it in Daz3D or Carrara 8 Pro?

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Q: what formats of 3D Models can this program export ?

I mentions on the web site that you can export to Photoshop as a 3D layer, which "suggests to me" that it can export in OBJ format.
    OBJ will import into most 3D applications,.

• laynemoorelaynemoore Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It's cheating.. I know. Programs like that help the novice hit the ground running. My task is to transfer some physical models of spaceships for a movie we're working on. If it doesn't work, I'm out $35 bucks so not a big deal.

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 458
    edited December 1969

It's cheating.. I know. Programs like that help the novice hit the ground running. My task is to transfer some physical models of spaceships for a movie we're working on. If it doesn't work, I'm out $35 bucks so not a big deal.

As said above...

All you have to do is go into the export options and see if it exports in either .obj or even dxf or dwg and then you can convert...

I use Doga3 for my spaceship models(Google Doga3)
    I was actually featured for one full year on their website(Front Page)because I won a contest using Bryce and Doga...But I was able to import into Max and Maya and of course DS and trueSpace(FREE trueSpace 7.61)

edited December 1969

Congrats, it's always nice to be recognized for good work. Have you posted pics here? I'd like to take a peek.

Let me ask this - the idea of Strata Foto is very appealing for objects that would be difficult to accurately texture or model. I'm so new at this that it's very appealing. Do you know of any other programs available that assemble a 3D from photographs? My google searches have turned up null due to not knowing the terminology I'm trying to find.

• MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

Autodesk Image modeler is very nice

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=11390028&siteID=123112

you can also google several demos on youtube

edited December 1969

I am told by sales support that Strata Foto SE exports vrml and 3ds formats. Since I have Carrara 8 Pro, I'm wondering if I can import those models? I can't find a list of specific file formats imported into Carrara - does this animal exist?

edited December 1969

They also wrote back and said they did an update which includes Collada (.dae) format.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI laynemoore :)

In Carrara, you can load in 3DS,. or Collada

VRML is a web based (low polygon) 3d viewer,.
    I haven't seen any serious web sites use it since flash was developed and you could have streaming animation or video.

OBJ would be better and more universal,. since 3DS converts the model to Triangles, and Collada is an open format which means there are several variations of the Collada format.

You should be able to open either in Carrara, then you can either work on them to adjust the tri's to poly's or whatever you need. or just render as is

:)