Redacted

cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
edited December 2022 in The Commons

​Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited October 2012

dpc.exe - pc would be the poser file for non-mac.

a zip file with the IM prefix, like IM00000882_little-french-maids.zip, seems to include all the install files.

i haven't d/l the trx files, i'm guessing it's for the ds content manager service. poser doesn't seem to need it.

some of the files don't come with the readme's, meaning no file list. these dayz i install to a temp folder first so i can see what files are installing.

Post edited by Mistara on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,511
    edited December 1969

dpc.exe - pc would be the poser file for non-mac.

a zip file with the IM prefix, like IM00000882_little-french-maids.zip, seems to include all the install files.

i haven't d/l the trx files, i'm guessing it's for the ds content manager service. poser doesn't seem to need it.

some of the files don't come with the readme's, meaning no file list. these dayz i install to a temp folder first so i can see what files are installing.

trx is often, but not always Genesis content (trx stands for Triax Weight Mapping), but sometimes DS materials as named trx as well. Content manager files are named Metadata but newer installers has the metadata built in and not in a senarate installer, good as it feels like overhead to download 15MB installer to install a 2k file...

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

​Redacted

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited October 2012

cridgit said:

- No clear naming conventions for product names and files split into multiple parts (sometimes you get part 2, 5, 7 for 1, 2, 3).

I believe they're sequential, but including updates. So they might start out as 1, 2, 3, but as soon as one needs updating the new version will be renumbered and become 4, and so on.

Not really sure why we need a TRX for props or environments, however.

Could be as simple as someone not understanding the naming convention.

- Some DS files and some TRX files contain metadata. Unfortunately this seems to be the most inconsistent rule with around a 50/50 split. Sometimes the metadata is there and sometimes is isn't, so unless I install the separate metadata file, I need to install each product, then start Studio to check if the metadata has been installed. Very inconvenient.

The theory is: new releases include metadata in the main installer; older releases include metadata as a separate installer, unless they have been updated recently, in which case the metadata has been moved into the main installer; pre-DS 4 releases don't have metadata unless they've been updated. Metadata should only ever be in one installer, so if there's a separate metadata installer you do need it.

Post edited by DWG on
    edited May 2022

​Redacted

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    DWG said:

Metadata should only ever be in one installer, so if there's a separate metadata installer you do need it.

That's what I thought too, but I've been checking by installing only the main installer for products with separate metadata installers and half the time the metadata is installed too. The other half I need to use the separate metadata installer.

Which ones? I haven't found any products which had separate metadata installers which didn't also have the metadata in the main installer.

edited May 2022

​Redacted

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    cridgit said:
    DWG said:

Metadata should only ever be in one installer, so if there's a separate metadata installer you do need it.

That's what I thought too, but I've been checking by installing only the main installer for products with separate metadata installers and half the time the metadata is installed too. The other half I need to use the separate metadata installer.

Which ones? I haven't found any products which had separate metadata installers which didn't also have the metadata in the main installer.

I haven't kept a list Mike, but about a dozen or so over the past 2 months. From my installer archive, I'll go look up which metadata files I kept, which means they were needed at the time of installation. If the main installer works I chuck the metadata installer.

I'll post back when I've made the list - it'll be a search on a huge non-indexed NAS drive.

EDIT: what I have so far (about to go to bed so will update tmw)
    - Dream Home Yard & Pool
    - Carnival Picnic Tables
    - Sports Time for Genesis
    - Real Tanks & Containers

What version numbers? I just installed Carnival Picnic Tables and Real Tanks & Containers, both were version 1.1, and both had the metadata in the main installer.

edited May 2022

​Redacted

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    - DS is for DAZ content. When the DS is a lot smaller than the DPC it probably contains only .DAZ scenes and .DS material presets, and needs the DPC for objects and textures. When the DS is a similar size to the DPC it mostly contains all the required files and you don't need to install the DPC. I say mostly because there have been a couple of exceptions.

I think you neglected to mention that the only way to determine relative sizes is to completely download both files.

(Come on, DAZ! Every server on the entire internet except yours tells my browser how large the file is at the start of the transfer.)

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Whats really sad is on the download page the space taken up for the amount of downloads you have left when there is more than enough room to list the size of the file.