Object selection question

eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

When I made that pic, one camera two spheres with the camera inside the spheres I noticed it is unusually difficult to select the camera once a sphere is selected.

Is there a trick (which I didnt find out yet) to select single objects even though covered by other objects?

Comments

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited October 2012

Move the cursor over the collection of items, press the Ctrl key (Windows) and click. A menu appears with all the objects positioned behind the cursor. Select from the list as needed.

There is also a selection tab at the bottom of the work window, which includes a "selection options" arrow. Clicking this will bring up a menu including the camera (for when you can't even see it).

Post edited by Peter Fulford on
  • Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

If you like Bryce, buying the book "Real World Bryce 4" by Susan Kitchens will help you greatly with all the basics plus a lot more besides. Although it only covers Bryce version 4, it is very informative. Better than the manual.

Cheap copies are usually available on Amazon.

Obviously you'll get lots of help on the forum too. :-)

• eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks a lot for the nice tips.
    I will try it out immediately.

That CTRL button works like a charm. :)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,124
    edited December 1969

If there's not a lot in the scene, select any object, then toggle to the next using the TAB key.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited October 2012

Yes, PJF’s suggestion in using the CTRL button is your best option, however, some times when an object has many parts, and has become ungrouped earlier on in your project, it can be quite tricky to re-group all the parts again – particularly if they are buried within other object meshes.

In such instances, I find that using the Shift button in lieu with the CTRL works best. The steps would go like this: first, hover your cursor over the object part you want (as PJF says) using the CTRL; second, now click again on another part related to the same object where the list again shows up, however, this time hold down the Shift button and choose the part from the list presented. You’ll see that both parts are now grouped when the Shift is used, and you can continue to do this (that is CTRL, Shift, CTRL, Shift...etc.,) over and over again with all the other parts of the initial object group.

Cheers
    Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for all suggestions.

I have just started using Bryce., not making anything complicated, yet, started making two spheres with some fancy texture to them (like that: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9728/) with the camera inside the spheres and suddenly I could not select the camera any more to change the focal length.

edited December 1969

Perhaps this picture helps.

camera.jpg
    740 x 711 - 96K
    edited December 1969

Thanks HORO,

it helps if you just need to select a camera.

I think the CRTL / CTRL-SHIFT option works best for me.

I personally feel that a small window containing all scene elements might do an even better job for me.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Perhaps this picture helps.

OMGosh, that was exactly what I needed to know about cameras in Bryce! Thank you!

edited December 1969

Odaa said:
    OMGosh, that was exactly what I needed to know about cameras in Bryce! Thank you!

You're welcome. We use those buttons all the time and forget how long it took to find them when we started.
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    We use those buttons all the time and forget how long it took to find them when we started.

Yes, Horo, there are a lot of things difficult to find out how it works.

Like Boolean operations. Actually its quite easy but I believe most other programs do it differently.
    Or those textures. The deep texture editor seems to be very nice but its difficult to understand and I would really need a tutorial for that.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    We use those buttons all the time and forget how long it took to find them when we started.

Yes, Horo, there are a lot of things difficult to find out how it works.

Like Boolean operations. Actually its quite easy but I believe most other programs do it differently.
    Or those textures. The deep texture editor seems to be very nice but its difficult to understand and I would really need a tutorial for that.

FWIW, I've found the Bryce Product Bryce Master Series - The Great Hall http://www.daz3d.com/shop/bryce-masters-series-great-hall to be very good at teaching Boolean operations as it walks you thru how to build the scene described by the product from Booleans. What I liked most was that the author described things such that it was very easy to understand and follow, at least for me.

As for the DTE there are a number of tutorials here for that as well as many other things

http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials.html

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

The Bryce manual also has information about the DTE. I've got a PDF about the DTE, but I can't remember where I got it. Something tells me it was from Horo or David.

edited December 1969

As for the DTE there are a number of tutorials here for that as well as many other things

http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials.html

I've got a PDF about the DTE, but I can't remember where I got it. Something tells me it was from Horo or David.

There are a couple of tutorials in my website (see sig). Go to Raytracing > Tutorials

I've also set up a container for Bryce relevant documents recently. The DTE document GussNemo refers to, can be found there. The direct link would be http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/DTE.pdf and it is a 84 page PDF which comes at 23 MB.

And do have a look at that link LordHardDriven mentiones.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the links and the PDF.
    I know the bryce-tutorials link. David B has promoted it in some of his youtube videos. There are loads and loads of videos. You dont know where to start first watching or reading.

Just downloaded Horo's link. It looks very concise (merci vielmal) and its a lot to read but a bit of science is good for the brain.