Damn DAZ All to Heck and Back!

kmw_5213kmw_5213 Posts: 74
edited December 1969 in The Commons

[I'm furiously shaking my fist at DAZ as we speak here...]

Now that DAZ has appeared to given Poser users easy access to Genesis I now find myself perusing their newest model with a curious eye.

Unfortunately, I've been forced to use Poser 8 for at least a year. My copy of 2012 was stolen and Smith Micro hasn't been very friendly about replacing it so I was forced to download something I'd won in a contest. I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon as the cost would be substantial, but I do intend to upgrade at some point and as I am DAZ-centric I'll want to be able to use Genesis if it's going to be easy so I might as well grab a few things while they're on sale.

I have a few queries tho:

What's the difference between the 'Genesis Essentials' and what's in the bundles? I know the essentials features some kind of Genesis starter bits, but will the version that comes with say Michael 5 or Victoria 5 still need to be installed?

I see in the documentation how to convert content like materials and such from Studio. Does this apply to all content or just specific? I was under the impression that Poser users didn't need to install Studio to use DSON.

Right now I've got both the Michael 5 and Victoria 5 Pro Suites in my cart. Trying to decide if I really need them both now since I can't use them but I'd really like to take advantage of the current sales. But it probably just makes as much sense to wait for the next sale ... especially since I can't use them until I can put 2012 back on my machine.

Oh, one last question: Who's on first?

kmw

Comments

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Genesis itself has 'Basic Male' and 'Basic Female' shapes. Those can get you started. V5 and M5 add additional morphs, plus new UV mapping templates. If you want to use character products that are based on their more refined UV mappings, you must have the V5 and M5 base packages at a minimum to have the UV definitions. The Pro packages of V5 and M5 are also the only way to get the male and female genitals geo-grafts. S5 is the same deal as V5 and M5 -- addtional morphs and a new UV template. Base Genesis can use V4, M4 and K4 UVs 'out of the box'.

I would also highly recommend that Genesis Evolution Morphs bundle, which gets you the extra head and body morph packages. These allow you to do your own fine tuning to Genesis shapes. I also find the Creature Creator Morphs for Genesis bundle useful as well, although not nearly as important as the Evolution morphs.

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited October 2012

Yeah, the main reason to get the Pro bundles, for the '5s, are their geografted toast and toastess.

There's a ton of morphs->shapes on ShareCG, remind me and I'll look some up.
    DieTryings-182-V4-Morphs-for-Genesis for starters.

You can also import almost-all of your Gen3 and Gen4 characters and morphs, with the GenX utility.
    (But you'll need DS4, unless he makes a Poser version.).

If you are a PC Member, don't overlook the Buy It All Bonus.

So far, it ain't bad (but it's likely to get tougher). You'd get the V5 Pro bundle, or M5 Pro bundle, (or S5 Pro bundle, I think, my page cuts it off). But you can't collect until the bundle items are past the 30-day return windows. Here's the thread, in the Members Only forum.

If you're not on PC, and you have a little spending money, even half of October would be worth a monthly membership.
    !!HOLY CRAP!! - PC Club saved me TONS of $$$!!!!

kmw_ said:

I see in the documentation how to convert content like materials and such from Studio. Does this apply to all content or just specific? I was under the impression that Poser users didn't need to install Studio to use DSON.

Hey, it's free. But, yeah, install if you're impatient to convert the rest of the Genesis content.
    (And since 2012 is a ways off for you that sounds weird, there's no need to convert).

Oh, one last question: Who's on first?

The Who. I think Aerosmith comes on second.
    Post edited by T Jaiman on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732
    edited October 2012

kmw_ said:
    [I'm furiously shaking my fist at DAZ as we speak here...]
    Unfortunately, I've been forced to use Poser 8 for at least a year. My copy of 2012 was stolen and Smith Micro hasn't been very friendly about replacing it so I was forced to download something I'd won in a contest.

Is that legal actually? Even Microsoft will give you a new copy of a DVD if you pay for handling and postage, as long as you have a licence for the program. And if you buy a download version of Poser, you can have the download reset for a few $ at CP (I assume it's a DVD since you haven't done that).

Otherwise, if I were you I'd a buy a new DVD, make a copy of it, and then use their 30 day return policy. Or borrow a DVD from someone else, which is common practice. You're not stealing anything from anyone, either way.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • hamstergirl4444hamstergirl4444 Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

I understand your feelings - I only have Poser 7 & 8, and can't get them to run on my current machine, so I've been Poser-less since February =/ (good thing I only like using Studio lol). Genesis and I met in February, when Daz made DS4Pro free....and I would echo cwichura's suggestions. My first purchase was the Genesis Starter Bundle - which has the Evolution Morphs, the Troll, a hair, dress, etc. - it's on sale for $16 & change. I figured that gave me enough to play with, in order to make up my mind on how much into Genny I was going to get. Add in the Creature Morphs, along with what you already have the M&V 5, and you should be good to go.

If you use DS at all, GenX is indispensable - assuming you "create" your character in Studio first, save it, and then load into Poser...not sure how that works, or if it can even be done. I'm a complete simpleton with programs like that, but it's given me Alice and GND4 into Genesis :) Unfortunately, all this tech makes my head ache, heh heh, but I think you'll be happy :)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

1) You need to install the Genesis Starter Essentials (both the Core and the Poser Companion Files) -- that's the base for Genesis, and is not included in the M5 and V5 bundles.

2) You don't need DS to use the products that have been converted to DSON. You would only need it to convert products that haven't been converted yet.

3) The current sale prices are quite good -- over 50% off, and if you're a PC member you get a 40% PC discount for the PC Anniversary instead of 30%. But you've been around long enough to know that there's always another sale.

4) Yes, Who is on first.

• kmw_5213kmw_5213 Posts: 74
    edited October 2012

Taozen said:
    Is that legal actually? Even Microsoft will give you a new copy of a DVD if you pay for handling and postage, as long as you have a licence for the program. And if you buy a download version of Poser, you can have the download reset for a few $ at CP (I assume it's a DVD since you haven't done that).

It's optional and a completely independent decision. e-on gave me a downloadable version within 24 hours after I contacted them.

As anyone will tell you, Smith Micro is hard to even contact, let alone get an answer from.

Otherwise, if I were you I'd a buy a new DVD, make a copy of it, and then use their 30 day return policy. Or borrow a DVD from someone else, which is common practice. You're not stealing anything from anyone, either way.

Hadn't given it a lot of thought, but I suppose you're right. Long as I use my own license... Unfortunately, that's with my copy of 2012. :(

kmw

Post edited by kmw_5213 on