Daz with Carrara software?

KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi, can use DAZ models, clothing etc.. in Carrara? Can you save Carrara models etc to be used in DAZ?
Thanks

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Poser and DAZ Studio content works inside Carrara, but not shaders of course, and even Genesis works in the 8.5 Beta I believe.

You can load any models created in Carrara into DAZ Studio, but Carrara rigging for human type models does not work in DS as far as I know.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Kimber sue :)

can use DAZ models, clothing etc.. in Carrara?

Yes :)

All Daz3D Models from the original Mike and Viki, through Versions 2, 3, and Victoria 4 and Michael 4, can all be used in Carrara.

You can add any Poser or Daz Studio "Runtime" folder, to your Carrara browser, and load content by clicking the thumbnail image , just as you would in Poser or Daz Studio.

Genesis is the only Daz mode that's different , and it will only work in the "beta" version of Carrara 8.5 .

Poser models also work in Carrara,. with the exception of the new Poser 9, and Poser2012 models which like genesis have a different type of weight mapping. so they don;t work well in Carrara.

Can you save Carrara models etc to be used in DAZ?

You can export a model you make in carrara as an OBJ, then rig it in DS or poser,..
    but you can't save a rigged fiogure as a CR2 or Daz figure, directly from carrara.

Carrara is an independent (full 3D application) , which means that you can model, rig, paint, texture, animate and render without using any other software.

Hope it helps :)
    edited December 1969

Hi Jimmy :)

Actually the shaders will load with the figure or Poser Mat file, but because the shaders were built to be used in Poser, or DS, which both have different shading engines, there needs to be some slight adjustments made to look better in Carrara.

Carrara also comes with some Preset High-res shaders for M4 / V4.

adjusted shaders can be saved to your own library..

:)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225
    edited December 1969

Another great fact is that those Daz and Poser products can be tweaked in Carrara to fit the characters your using (in Carrara). Being able to create my own morphs onto clothing objects for use with my animations in Carrara has truly spoiled me over the years. When it comes to using Daz/Renderosity type products, nothing is more powerful with options that Carrara. My opinion.

• KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

Hi, thanks for help, your reply have me very near getting Carrara. However I want to make sure this will do what I want before spending the money. What I would really like to do is making clothing. I have taken a ton of hexagon tutor and I can make a shirt for beginning to end for genesis. BUT Hexagon is always crashing and I'm trying to decide what modeling software to use. Most the ones I have looked at my head spin. I used corel products since version 3 came out in the 1990's so I get the node part of it.

My last question to make sure I have this correct. If I buy carrara, I can import my genesis model and shirt obj I have saved. Work on the shirt design and export the shirt as an obj.

I want to in time do clothing for the kids 4 model but I am not that good at rigging yet.
    Thanks for the help

edited October 2012

HI Kimber Sue :)

You're quite right to ask before you spend any money,... but you can download Carrara, (albeit Carrara 8, not the 8.5 beta) and play with it's modelling tools...

The Download is available on C-net ( www.download.com ) search for Carrara, or Daz3D
    the serial number should be part of the info / blurb.

To answer your question, can you work with Genesis and build clothing, and then export as obj,.. Yes. but .. Genesis only loads into Carrara 8.5 (currently still in beta)

If you're happy to work on a static model of genesis,. then you could export as obj from DS, and import that into any version of Carrara,

In Carrara 8, you can create a vertex object,. then model it directly onto the figure, (like a tailors mannequin) in the scene Assembly room. (see pic)
    but the vertex object you're modelling, is completely independent of the figure, so it can be exported as an OBJ, then imported into whatever software you want.

Hope it helps :)

direct_model.jpg
    1264 x 954 - 258K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
    edited December 1969

Perfect, I am download it now. Thanks

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

To rig your clothing so that it's conformingclothing you'll need to use D/S's rigging tools for Poser style rigging as far as I know.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225
    edited December 1969

Evil Producer (as always) is correct.
    To turn your new clothing obj into a conforming figure, you will want Daz Studio Pro (get it for free now!!!)
    Import your clothing and it can auto-rig your cloth. Daz has some great videos on the subject at YouTube.

I think that you'll enjoy the Carrara modelling room and all of its tools.
    Once You've rigged you item in DS, you can load it again into Carrara and add custom morphs.
    The modelling capabilities is what drew me into looking at Carrara. Using Carrara is what made it my most favorite program for all of my 3d artwork. I now render animations more than anything, but love to build and tweak stuff in the model room too.

edited December 1969

Evil Producer (as always) is correct.
    To turn your new clothing obj into a conforming figure, you will want Daz Studio Pro (get it for free now!!!)
    Import your clothing and it can auto-rig your cloth. Daz has some great videos on the subject at YouTube.

I think that you'll enjoy the Carrara modelling room and all of its tools.
    Once You've rigged you item in DS, you can load it again into Carrara and add custom morphs.
    The modelling capabilities is what drew me into looking at Carrara. Using Carrara is what made it my most favorite program for all of my 3d artwork. I now render animations more than anything, but love to build and tweak stuff in the model room too.

I have both Daz pro and Poser 2012. So far I do like Carrara because I worked with nodes in corel draw for some 15 years now and the control panel so far (when I can remember how to get in model mode) seems pretty common sense in relation to what I know for my years as a graphic designer. I found the custom morphs, not played with that yet but I like it add one type of feature. At this point I am not really interested in animation. I just want to find a modeling program that makes sense to me.

I thought the daz auto-rig was only for genesis. I tired to do it with K4 and it would not work unless I was doing it wrong. Really have not studied that part much yet. I wanted to find a modeling software before investing many more time and money. I own a very small business that is bleeding money as it is and while this 3d stuff become my passion, I still have to do my other graphic design work.

Thanks for all the help

• Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
    edited December 1969

In terms of rigging / making conforming clothing for eventual use in Carrara 8.5 Pro Beta:

1) Can that be done strictly in Carrara?

2) If not, can anyone provide a simple set of instructions (ordirect toward a tutorial) for doing so in DAZ 4.5 Pro (either with Figure Setup Tools or Content Creator stuff. I remember struggling with this over a year ago and not getting consistent results. I'll have to search the old forums now that they're available again, but I remember going in circles trying to get a piece of barding for a horse to conform in DAZ and then being shown a relatively easy solution inside of Carrara - need to track that down . . .

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

It's not "conforming" in the Poser or DAZ Studio sense, but you can take a model shirt (as an example) and select it and (usually) the base bone of the rig, such as the hip simultaneously and then go to the Animation Menu and select attach skeleton. The model that you're attaching should be lined up and fitted to your figure's model before this operation. Once attached, the model shirt (or whatever) will move and follow along the underlying figure. You will probably need to weight paint the attached object to fix collision artifacts and such. Wendy does this quite a bit.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Rigging an original figure in Daz Studio 4.5 is really effective, although more complex than in Carrara. As far as conforming clothing goes, you have the choice of legacy - the old FST or Tri-Ax for Genisis. You can convert Gen4 figures to Tri-Ax with one click.

Conforming clothing for Tri-Ax figures is very straight-forward - have the figure loaded, import the clothing .obj and with it selected, use the Transfer Utility, go through a couple of options and its done. Making conforming clothing for a shaped Genesis involves a couple more options, but pretty simple.

Documentation is sparse, incomplete and difficult to find - start here http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/start

Also quite a lot of official videos on YouTube.

• Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
    edited December 1969

Evilproducer and Roygee - thanks for the replies.