How do I lay a road?

tdrdtdrd Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I am trying to lay arough gravel/tadecayed tarmac road in my scene.
I have tried building the surface in the texture editor but it's too bumpy when moving from one shade to the other.

I tried the Create Paths option but hey did I get in a knot over that one!!!!!
Besides a path not showing once I got the snake tamed, nothing showed up - furthermore once I had saved it and reopened it next day it kept crashing.

All my scene has are two terrain planes, and two cottage objects - plus one snake path which is there somewhere but I cannot find it - yet the scene crashes on load and I cannot get any further.

I loaded up the LAA tool and initiated the link to Bryce and started Bryce again but still no success.
I've had to abandon that file and start again... What could be the cause I wonder?!

I am at the same point now with no snake path and the machine has suddenly gone very slow, so maybe it's the cottages taking up the space! Maybe I'll have to place a block in the location of the building and pop the cottages in their place last thing!

Terry

Comments

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Terry: See if this tutorial of David's won't help you.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

tdrd said:
    I am trying to lay arough gravel/tadecayed tarmac road in my scene.
    I have tried building the surface in the texture editor but it's too bumpy when moving from one shade to the other.

I tried the Create Paths option but hey did I get in a knot over that one!!!!!
    Besides a path not showing once I got the snake tamed, nothing showed up - furthermore once I had saved it and reopened it next day it kept crashing.

All my scene has are two terrain planes, and two cottage objects - plus one snake path which is there somewhere but I cannot find it - yet the scene crashes on load and I cannot get any further.

I loaded up the LAA tool and initiated the link to Bryce and started Bryce again but still no success.
    I've had to abandon that file and start again... What could be the cause I wonder?!

I am at the same point now with no snake path and the machine has suddenly gone very slow, so maybe it's the cottages taking up the space! Maybe I'll have to place a block in the location of the building and pop the cottages in their place last thing!

Terry

I think, if we're on the same page, the path thing you were looking at was for animation and as such is not a literal path you see but rather an invisible path for something to follow in an animation.

On the Tutorial site David and Horo own that you've been refered to many times there is a tutorial for adding roads to a landscape. Alternatively you can buy the mentoring DVD as it also contains the how to's for that and alot of other things you've asked about over the past few weeks. I know like me your money situation is very tight but if you can scare up enough money right now, I mean today or a best this weekend, is the time to buy it since it's back at 50% off for the closing of the big sale Daz has been running all month.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2012

Only trouble with that idea Mark is that Terry is over this side of the pond, so as well as international shipping charges he is looking at 2 weeks before it would arrive.

It is a damn fine DVD though, cheap at twice the price, leave alone the half price, which it is at the moment

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Only trouble with that idea Mark is that Terry is over this side of the pond, so as well as international shipping charges he is looking at 2 weeks before it would arrive.

It is a damn fine DVD though, cheap at twice the price, leave alone the half price, which it is at the moment

Yeah I picked up on that but just thought I'd put the bee in the bonnett since pretty much every problem Terry has had and needed help with is covered on that DVD. I don't get the impression this project is commercial and therefore on a timetable. It seems more like a labor of love that could be put on hold a week or two if need be. Plus if Terry's money is tight best to buy the DVD while it's on sale now otherwise it could be a year or more before he could see another such sale.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,056
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

This is an exceedingly kind comment! It really moved me.Thank you very much.

• greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

Just a thought but you could try http://www.shapemagic.com/roadmaker/ :)

• tdrdtdrd Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you for your comments.

I know people have made comments and links to tutorials and I HAVE looked at some of them. I really have appreciated all the help from everyone in the group and I really apologise if some of the wuestions I ask seem pretty basic to the likes of more experienced Brycers.

I have bought the book Bryce5 as recommended by people about two weeks ago and when purchased I saw on the Amazon website that it was 2-3 days delivery...
    I received an email afterwards saying it could take anywhere up to 3rd october before it arrices... I think they've strapped it to a snail!

I do take on board all the advicce given and apologise if my posts are becoming tedious to some people out there... I really am humbled by the assistance given so far and I hope the rate I have learnt to make a complicated house is an inspiration for other newbies to pick Bryce up and have a go.

I do try everything in my grey cells - and after a lot of research - before I post a question on the group. I do not think "I'll post this question" on the first inkling of a problem - please don't think I do.

I would sincerely hope that in the future I will be able to make a contribution to assisting others who have had my problems...
    I will not purchase anything outside of the UK no matter how good it is due to problems receiving foreign parcels 20 years ago.

If the content of the DVD was able to be purchased online and downloadable then I would consider it, but otherwise Sorry... No.

I hope this clears up any feelings people have about my many posts - all of which I thought reasonable at the time.

... and thanks again everyone for your help.

Terry

edited December 1969

@Terry: I personally, while still green as Spring grass, do not mind seeing questions asked, and helping when I can. I learn as much from the question as I do from the answer. It also helps me to realize I'm learning more than I consciously realize.

And as to the tone(?) of some of your posts? Guess we now know how a child feels when they can't walk the first time. I bang my head several times a day when working with Bryce, or Blender, or Gimp, and now Hexagon. I've watched tutorials until my eyes cross and still feel lost most of the time. But I continue on, albeit slowly. So much to learn, so far behind.

Never stop asking questions, it's the only way to learn. It may get you disdain from some but that's their loss at not realizing how much they too can enjoy something they may have had a small hand in. Others will admire your "stick with it" attitude and be all the more willing to help. Knowledge only comes through asking questions.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,056
    edited December 1969

Fact is, we're here to help.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yes I only got to the stage that I am at now by asking questions and working with the info people were giving me.

I often wonder how far I would have got had the internet not come along. Forums in the main are more helpful at explaining things than any books or manuals.

You are doing really well so far, so keep it up. We all have faith in you.

edited December 1969

tdrd said:

I know people have made comments and links to tutorials and I HAVE looked at some of them. I really have appreciated all the help from everyone in the group and I really apologise if some of the wuestions I ask seem pretty basic to the likes of more experienced Brycers.

I have bought the book Bryce5 as recommended by people about two weeks ago and when purchased I saw on the Amazon website that it was 2-3 days delivery...
    I received an email afterwards saying it could take anywhere up to 3rd october before it arrices... I think they've strapped it to a snail!

I do take on board all the advicce given and apologise if my posts are becoming tedious to some people out there... I really am humbled by the assistance given so far and I hope the rate I have learnt to make a complicated house is an inspiration for other newbies to pick Bryce up and have a go.

I do try everything in my grey cells - and after a lot of research - before I post a question on the group. I do not think "I'll post this question" on the first inkling of a problem - please don't think I do.

I would sincerely hope that in the future I will be able to make a contribution to assisting others who have had my problems...
    I will not purchase anything outside of the UK no matter how good it is due to problems receiving foreign parcels 20 years ago.

If the content of the DVD was able to be purchased online and downloadable then I would consider it, but otherwise Sorry... No.

I hope this clears up any feelings people have about my many posts - all of which I thought reasonable at the time.

Terry

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying what I'm saying to imply anything about your questions just pointing out that the info you seek is at that tutorial site David and Horo have and it's also available on their DVD. The bad thing about help on a forum is it's only available when others are in the forum. If they are not then you have to wait. The tutorial site and the DVD in my opinion are more about being help available for whenever a person needs it regardless of who is online and who isn't. I also suggest them because they're very comprehensive and cover virtually everything you've needed help with.

edited December 1969

Ok - an update...

I've tried Dave Brinnens technique for laying a road but that's really too much for what I want.
    I've done a scene which cuts away the area for the road and then overlays another terrain object for the road.

I've spent 3 days on this and I am appalled at my success with this one.
    I see people have laid nice gravel tracks on other renders but I can get nowhere near at all.
    Please don't laugh at my results shown below - abysmal....

RoadAttempt1.jpg
    2000 x 1029 - 658K
    edited December 1969

tdrd said:
    Ok - an update...

I've tried Dave Brinnens technique for laying a road but that's really too much for what I want.
    I've done a scene which cuts away the area for the road and then overlays another terrain object for the road.

I've spent 3 days on this and I am appalled at my success with this one.
    I see people have laid nice gravel tracks on other renders but I can get nowhere near at all.
    Please don't laugh at my results shown below - abysmal....

Actually your results aren't that bad given how new you still are to all this. Keep in mind when you look at these impressive images from other in virtually every case it took those people months or more likely years to get to that point. Another thing too is that it is not uncommon for someone to work on a single scene for very long periods of time, doing a bit here and there, setting it aside for a bit, coming back and doing more, until eventually it's completed.

Also consider that the concept of your drawing is a bit more complex then what most beginners do. It's not just a simple landscape with just a few terrains and a ground or water plane. I'm actually impressed by what you've accomplished so far for someone only a month or so into learning Bryce.

edited December 1969

@Terry: If you'll go into the Terrain Editor (TE) you can knock down the edges by the road with a brush set to black. It acts like an eraser and will take off, or mill down, the edges. Play with a terrain similar to the one you're using until you get the results you're after and the feel for it.

edited December 1969

How do I make the road texture finer?

I have the right texture but the grain is too large and I want to scale it down.

I have tries the transformation tool but whether I use -10, +10, -500 or +500 it makes not a jot of difference.

Thanks

Terry

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Is there a tiling option?

I haven't played around enough in the various areas to know...I've just loaded some premade scenes to render, as a test because until recently Bryce + Linux + Wine = Do Not Work. Finally with Wine 1.5.9 Bryce is mostly to all the way working.

• RangerJimKRangerJimK Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

tdrd said:

Terry

I second Terry's remarks - particularly the one about a downloadable version(s) of that DVD... and the others as well. I''m also a beginner (transitioning from traditional - 2D on paper/canvas/etwas - art to 3D computer art. I have everything from Bryce and the other DAZ Suite of programs up to Blender, but at the present, I'm sticking to Bryce 7 Pro and Poser 6 (don't think I can run anything newer... on my PPC Mac).

I also thank y'all very much!.

Korosho!

Jim

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

I haven't played around enough in the various areas to know...I've just loaded some premade scenes to render, as a test because until recently Bryce + Linux + Wine = Do Not Work. Finally with Wine 1.5.9 Bryce is mostly to all the way working.

Eh?

While Mac 10.X does have Linux under the hood, I dinna want to try to learn a new language at this late date! And that brings me to the Real Question....

Please Sir ( or Ma'am, as the case may be), just what is "Wine 1.5.9"?!?

Jim

• greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

Wine is a windows emulator under linux. Just google wine linux and you should be able to find it without any problems.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Eh?

While Mac 10.X does have Linux under the hood, I dinna want to try to learn a new language at this late date! And that brings me to the Real Question....

Please Sir ( or Ma'am, as the case may be), just what is "Wine 1.5.9"?!?

Jim
    [/quote

Pity... Here I was thinking that it was a code name for some variety of real wine. :(