can you use tga files in poser?

iDiruiDiru Posts: 696
edited December 1969 in The Commons

So I just got this thing that was listed under daz/poser on a site but all the files are TGA files. There's no readme or anything in the download so I don't know what to do exactly. I tried opening the tga with photoshop and it doesn't even show up so yeahhh what is this

Comments

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited October 2012

iDiru said:
    So I just got this thing that was listed under daz/poser on a site but all the files are TGA files. There's no readme or anything in the download so I don't know what to do exactly.

Edit: See posts below mine. Here's a thread for times you would convert them jpg.
    Details: http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?23128-Targa-files-in-Poser-6-SR3

TGA (Targa) is a format that can be opened by almost everything that uses images.

I tried opening the tga with photoshop and it doesn't even show up so yeahhh what is this

That can't be right.

File>Open should give you TGA as a choice, and it'll show up with All Files.

Here's an extra plugin, from Adobe, that you probably won't find useful. :) http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1544

Stuff you don't care about:
    It's near-universal for almost every reason you could think of:
    It's lossless, so it's used for preserving quality (master copies, archiving), and for taking an image from one app to another.
    It can carry an alpha channel, for transparency, if needed. It's weakness is the lightweight compression.
    It's very old, it's easy for software to read (so it loads fast, which really mattered in olden times's whimpy machines), its quite useful, there's no patent fee - doesn't add to the cost of an app, it's a breeze to design software for it, it's absolutely standardized, and it was developed for a big-spender industry. Lastly, so many kinds of pros have so many TGA files in their archives.
    Its history explains everything else that you don't care about, heh, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truevision_TGA

Post edited by T Jaiman on
  • MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

Poser can use TGA files. How are you applying the image?

Image1.jpg
    430 x 236 - 12K
  • KageRyuKageRyu Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have used TGA files in Poser quite a bit, and it used to be (and still is for production) one of my preferred formats.

TGA is the file extension for Targa images, originally created with Targa graphics and production cards on high end workstations (specialized hardware that allowed work in true 32 bit color as opposed to the more common 24 bit + 8 bit that gets called 32 bit). TGA images can be in 24 bit, 32 bit, and may or may not have an additional alpha channel with them (not a lot of software can use or make use of the TGA alpha channels, and it does not show up in the version of Photoshop I have). TGA files may be compressed or uncompressed format, but the uncompressed format was the more popular among print and production artists and graphics studios.

• iDiruiDiru Posts: 696
    edited December 1969

Medzin said:
    Poser can use TGA files. How are you applying the image?

I'm usually used to applying textures from the library but they do not show up in the library so I'm not sure how to apply it.
    The TGA apparently has a bump map and a specularity map as well.
    Where exactly is that menu found?
  • MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited October 2012

I just included screen shot from material room to make sure I could apply TGA file.

You don't actually apply textures as such from a library. You can use a MAT pose (pz2) or Material Library (mc6). These apply various properties to a Poser surface. Not all such items apply a texture map (e.g., procedural shaders) but they can if included.

So, what is this mystery object and where did you find it?

Post edited by Medzin on