Plant production.

ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
edited December 1969 in New Users

I was just wondering if there are any decent programs for generating plants with low poly count.

I know Bryce has a really neat fractal based plant generator but the objects are just too polygon intensive even at low resolutions. The project I'm working on is going to need low polygon counts that still look good. What do you people use to generate your plants. If worse comes to worst I could just model them by hand in Hex but I was really hoping there'd be something more automated to doing it.

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

I was just wondering if there are any decent programs for generating plants with low poly count.

I know Bryce has a really neat fractal based plant generator but the objects are just too polygon intensive even at low resolutions. The project I'm working on is going to need low polygon counts that still look good. What do you people use to generate your plants. If worse comes to worst I could just model them by hand in Hex but I was really hoping there'd be something more automated to doing it.

link to one -
    http://ngplant.sourceforge.net/

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

Looks good! Thanks!!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

What operating system?

Plant Studio is another freeware app, it's for Windows...

http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com/PlantStudio/

IvyGen is a vine/ivy generator and is usable on many platforms...

http://graphics.uni-konstanz.de/~luft/ivy_generator/

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You folks are wonderful, I have IvyGen but the others are must haves. Thanks much.

edited December 1969

Woohoo! The thread that just keeps giving. Thanks guys these programs are awesome.

*Not for any Windows 7 Users out there. Plantstudio's installer needs to be run in Windows 98 compatibility mode to install.

edited December 1969

Wow! You can get some really exotic effects with a Plant Studio generated plant by converting its geometry to Sub-D. The flowers in particular can become very interesting.

• StorytellerStoryteller Posts: 80
    edited December 1969

plant studio is pretty cool, nice companion to carrara, but it makes some big meshes :)

edited December 1969

Yeah, you can bring them down quite a bit though by deleting some of the less than necessary groups. Like the stems on the leaves and blossoms. And if you use only three faces on the stalk that helps to cut down on the number of polys too.

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Been playing with this for a couple of weeks now, and I do love it.

• cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

I used Onyx Tree years ago - It was the only place I could find a decent bonsai-type tree at the time. Not sure how good it is nowadays, and it's pretty pricey.. Don't own it, so I no longer use it :)