CARRARA 8.5

CARRARA 8.5 PRO!...................WHERE IS IT??????

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited September 2012

didn't you hear last week's announcement Richard?

Post edited by Headwax on
  • edited December 1969

NO aint heard! been very busy.. WHATS the news?

• edited December 1969

SO tell me WHATS the news about CARRARA 8.5? 8.6? 9?

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This is what I've read about it.

• edited December 1969

ManStan said:

AND????????

• edited December 1969

AHHH never mind I just got up. I get it

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:

Oh that is so perfect, you made my night... laughing, but then thinking about it.. sad too

edited September 2012

Heh yes Manley you made me laugh too. :)
    Obviously they only sent the announcement to special people.
    I wasn't one of them either...

Did you hear the one about the Carrara user who got up one morning to find an email from Daz to say the manual was ready?

Heh, that one had me screaming with laughter as well... ;)

Post edited by Headwax on
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited September 2012

We are working on the final bugs to have the 8.5 build ready to release. We have one major bug that needs to be fixed, tested then we should be ready to roll out. Not sure the time frame, but it is looking good.

He said they had one more bug to fix...

ONE MORE BUG TO FIX!

:lol: :cheese: :ahhh:

Post edited by wetcircuit on
    edited December 1969

Stop it Holly, you're killing me :)

edited December 1969

I read that as the typical DAZ.

Marketing "How much longer on C8.5"?
    Dev "We have one more show stopper bug and...."
    Marketing "good, just one more bug to fix and we release it".
    Dev " no, I said we have one more show stopper bug to fix, we still have 3 pages of bugs to address".
    Marketing "right, we have one more bug to fix before release".

• RealtimeRealtime Posts: 95
    edited December 1969

While I know that there are lingering issues and bugs to fix, I think that it would be cool to know a bit about future implementation and development plans for Carrara. My company, like most, have an end game or vision of what the software will be and then work toward that end goal or feature-set. My company informs us of planned implementation of features. Nothing set in stone. But it communicates vision.

Carrara was the first 3d software that I dove into and it has always been my go to for projects - I just like Carrara.

My hope is that the development vision for Carrara goes beyond "making it play friendly with Daz Studio".
    (which seems to be the brunt of the development for the last two years).

at risk of sounding preachy - the Bible makes a great observation with:
    "without a vision, the people perish".
    I think that may also apply to just about anything - including software development.

A good example of systematic implementation is modo -

Any thoughts?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,821
    edited December 1969

dangerous question on this forum
    where is Joe anyway %-P

• Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

Realtime, I've asked the same question. Carrara has the potential to be an amazing program (probably the ultimate program for hobbyists), but DAZ just doesn't seem that interested in Carrara. I really don't understand them. They spend some time and money on it to update it, but they don't seem willing to really put the resources into it to really exploit its potential. It's very frustrating as a dedicated user.

Who knows? Maybe DAZ will surprise us all with C9 and make it something really awesome. An upgraded render engine (or at least a way to use Lux), new particle system, ability to "clothify" content clothing...just to give some suggestions.

• edited December 1969

I wish DAZ would either make carrara a bad azz program or sell it off! SHEET I ll take it..

Take out that awful vertex molder replace it with HEX. Make some great particle emitters. Maybe a new render engine and we could kiss Maya good by

edited December 1969

This has been an on going thing with DAZ, I often wonder why DAZ bought it in the first place. DAZ has done little as far as adding new features since the last of the old carrara devs left. It seems all DAZ can do with carrara is make it more like studio. And if I wanted to be using studio I would be.

Dynamic hair was the last major new feature added to carrara, DAZ bugged that out with the next build and has not been able to fix it.
    I don't see genesis as a new feature, it is just being ported over from studio. I don't see CMS as a new feature, I see it as a PITA ported over, once again, from studio. Bullet physics isn't DAZ's, it's a feature ported in from another developer.

As far as I can tell DAZ is just turning carrara in to another flavor of studio.

• Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

I've really come to love Carrara for rendering. I'll use DS for building people and characters but I prefer bringing them in to Carrara to render. It's super fast and much more mature and robust than DS.

I think of DS as DAZ's gateway drug to Carrara.
    ;-)

• RealtimeRealtime Posts: 95
    edited September 2012

I wish DAZ would either make carrara a bad azz program or sell it off! SHEET I ll take it..

Take out that awful vertex molder replace it with HEX. Make some great particle emitters. Maybe a new render engine and we could kiss Maya good by

I've often thought that Carrara has the most potential of any offering on the market. It has the potential to be great.
    Imagine if...
    the modeling from Hexagon (revisited)
    the landscaping from Bryce (revisited)
    custom asset creation and modification from daz studio were all brought into Carrara! wow!

So much redundancy in the current product line with Daz - so much effort trying to get stuff in and out.

One house to rule them all - Carrara 10
    Why not have it all of it under the same roof?
    Each module, i.e., modeling, landscaping, would be available and unlocked with purchased serial number...

And yes - it would be unapologetically geared toward the hobbyist -

it would be awesome if Daz personel weighed into the conversation - and justify why this is not a good idea...just sayin...
    It just seems so obvious to me!

Post edited by Realtime on
  • edited December 1969

Like I said, I bet if DAZ would sell off CARRARA that the people that bought it would make it a stellar program almost immediately AND the upgrades would be fast coming.

I have used Carrarara so to speak when it was RAY dream and when I found out that ray dream was gunna be sold to DAZ I knew they would just let it die of old age and treat it like the crazy uncle living in the basement...

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

treat it like the crazy uncle living in the basement...

Have you been talking to my niece?

edited December 1969

I was conscripted when DAZ bought carrara. I had tried studio way back when it was 1.2 I believe and at the time was working with Terragen. Studio didn't interest me because I wanted to do more the play dress up with digital dollies.

When I had the money to get something that wasn't freeware it came down to C4D to carrara. Some times I regret having chosen carrara. Mostly because of not only what DAZ has done to it, but what DAZ hasn't done to it. If DAZ really wants Carrara to compete with other high end CG hobby apps, or small CG shop apps, it needs to be contemporary,. But DAZ is spending so much developer tim trying to shoe horn studio in to carrara that it can't catch up, let alone keep up with the competition. DAZ has spent over a year of development trying to get genesis in to carrara, and fairly well neglected the rest of it.

Yes, we got the new light icons, I like them, they are nice, big help in setting lighting most of the time. But lighting and lighting effects haven't improved any.

Yes we got an interface reconfiguration, which I think was a big mistake. Carrara's interface was always quite fluid form me. Now it has gone all submenuy which is one of the things I hate about studio. The tools I use most are usually burred in some submenu.

The more studioy DAZ makes carrara, the less I like it.

• edited December 1969

MANNSTAN! I know how you feel. I have had to do the same thing when my money was tight! I got Carrara/ ray dream because thats what was on the computer when I worked in Marble Falls Texas. When it got sold to daz I almost went and got Lightwave but I kept saving my money for the $1300 back then, but never got it.

About he same time I was using adobe aftereffects 4 I think BUT had enough money to buy the SUITE of Final Cut Pro, motion and all that or get a Adobe suite.. I got the apple suite, PAID for it for many years while salivating over the ADOBE stuff!

I have never liked the apple sweet stuff and plug ins were problematic at best.

THIS time I came into some MONEY and got the adobe MASTER SUITE! YYYYYYUMMMMO! Back to after effects God bless adobe! I have already made some vey cool stuff and am waiting for PARTICLE ILLUSION to support CS6 so I can get away from carraras sad PEs.

I am too old to start over with like MAYA. or such so gunna deal with carrara and its PEOPLE!

I just dont know about carraras render engine I cant put my finger on it! Its just shy of truly realistic, and the character no matter how well done and advanced carrara has a plastic feel/look is the only way I can explain it.

YES I under stand carrara is NOT a so called EXPERT program more of a hobbiest BUT it COULD be there.