Ambient occlusion for daz studio 4.5?

MelbardsMelbards Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hello,

I just downloaded daz studio 4.5 pro and am wondering does the daz studio rendering engine (3d delight) offer ambient occlusion? I can't seem to find the option for it in render or light settings...

Cheers,

Comments

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited September 2012

Check this recent thread Question about ambient occlusion

Hope that helps!

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on
  • ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Hi Melbards, welcome!
    DAZ Studio has at least three ways of doing AO, the simplest being using UberEnvironment which you can find in DAZ Studio Formats->My Library->Light Presets->omnifreaker->UberEnvironment2. Double click on the !UberEnvironment2 Base (first icon) and then on any of the available image maps (or none if you want a pure-AO look).
    A second way is by using Shader Mixer, which is a bit more involved. Open SM, and go to Functions->Lighting->Shadows and drag or double click on Ambient Occlusion which will spawn the AO brick in the middle of the screen. Drag its C connector to Diffuse Strength, make sure a surface you want it applied to is selected and press Apply.
    A third way is with the AO point-cloud script in the render settings/Advanced, select "Scripted 3Delight" as Render Engine, then the "Point Based Occlusion" script.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

pwSurface2 is an option as well. It is a surface shader and will allow you to control the AO per surface.

You can check out the online guide to check out its different functions here - http://www.poseworks.com/shaders/pwsurface2/

pwSurface2 can be purchased from the DAZ3D Store here - http://www.daz3d.com/shop/pwsurface-2

And I have 30 free presets for pwS2 - http://www.mediafire.com/?vc2l6wuibcd616f

• stormqqstormqq Posts: 76
    ReDave said:

Hi Melbards, welcome!
    DAZ Studio has at least three ways of doing AO, the simplest being using UberEnvironment which you can find in DAZ Studio Formats->My Library->Light Presets->omnifreaker->UberEnvironment2. Double click on the !UberEnvironment2 Base (first icon) and then on any of the available image maps (or none if you want a pure-AO look).
    A second way is by using Shader Mixer, which is a bit more involved. Open SM, and go to Functions->Lighting->Shadows and drag or double click on Ambient Occlusion which will spawn the AO brick in the middle of the screen. Drag its C connector to Diffuse Strength, make sure a surface you want it applied to is selected and press Apply.
    A third way is with the AO point-cloud script in the render settings/Advanced, select "Scripted 3Delight" as Render Engine, then the "Point Based Occlusion" script.

can you explain this part properly please?

"make sure a surface you want it applied to is selected and press Apply."

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    stormqq said:
    ReDave said:

Hi Melbards, welcome!

can you explain this part properly please?

"make sure a surface you want it applied to is selected and press Apply."

Shaders can be applied to any surface, so you need to select the item in the Scene pane or Viewport, and also select the surfaces you want to apply the shader to in the Surfaces pane.