Poser and DAZ support

Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I hate being that guy, but I used to spend a fairly large amount of time lurking on the big posts about Genesis and Poser, and general interoperability between the two companies. But with all the forum changes I think the posts were lost, so, as much as I hate being that guy.. I'm going to be.

What's the story with Genesis in Poser? I know it was a long way off (if ever) and there are a couple slightly clunky ways to import from DAZ Studio, but I've been out of the game for a month or two.

Please tell me that the Poser and DAZ coders are currently locked in a cubicle with a lot of alcohol and are cranking out a working Poser Gensis! http://xkcd.com/323/

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited May 2012

there was a very recent post in the old forum that said that Smith Micro was not pursuing "full" genesis compatibility at this time for a variety of reasons. Daz said they are not making V5/M5 for poser. will see if i can find link

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=189930

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

Thanks! I didn't think we could still access the old forum posts!

edited December 1969

Looks like I'm gunna have to start learning DAZ Studio... ughh

edited December 1969

You might end up liking it. There have been many people that didn't really want to switch over from poser to daz for anything but were compelled to try genesis. A few of them ended decided to add daz studio to the arsenal along with poser so they could leverage what they ended up liking in daz, but not necessarily replacing poser.

You might end up in the same boat. I wish there was documentation, but the forums taught me a lot so i would take advantage of that. Good luck

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

I hated DAZ Studio in it's early versions... The latest version, however, I love. The layout was always pretty good. It was slick and customizeable. But I had problems with figures. It's mostly Genesis that has me in D|S, but I have to say I do enjoy the software. I wish it had better animation tools incorporated, but one can't have everything.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,591
    edited December 1969

You might end up liking it. There have been many people that didn't really want to switch over from poser to daz for anything but were compelled to try genesis. A few of them ended decided to add daz studio to the arsenal along with poser so they could leverage what they ended up liking in daz, but not necessarily replacing poser.

You might end up in the same boat. I wish there was documentation, but the forums taught me a lot so i would take advantage of that. Good luck

yep, that is me. Long time poser user. started using DS3 to use reality/Luxrender and now i use DS4 pro most of the time. Works great with poser content and i am able to import all my old poser saved scenes. No reason you can't use both. I like the library palette much better than the one in poser 2012, faster and easy to find things. genesis, has some great features and is a big time saver, even using V4 content. If i ever get some great heels that are made for genesis, I will probably stop using V4 altogether since i have all my V4 characters transferred over to genesis now.

• EleleElele Posts: 1,097
    edited May 2012

If you still want to render Genesis in Poser, atm i think the method with the least amount of Studio involved & without quality loss would be:

-Load Genesis in poser with cr2 exporter
    -Pose/morph genesis and save the pose & morphs in a format that studio can read
    -open studio, load genesis and apply the pose& morph files (& maybe some autofitted clothes too :cheese: )
    -export from studio as obj (with welded groups)
    -import the obj into poser

I haven't actually tried it though :red:, so i'm not sure it will work but it might be worth a shot :lol:

PS:Sorry bout all the smilies, wanted to try'm out :wow:

Post edited by Elele on
    edited December 1969

The only reason I'm attached to poser is that I have all these morphs and poses that work in Poser but require a lot of work to look good.

edited December 1969

The only reason I'm attached to poser is that I have all these morphs and poses that work in Poser but require a lot of work to look good.

Do you want to use these morphs and poses with Genesis or just on the figure they were made for? I'm not really sure I understand correctly :red:

edited December 1969

Well I guess it's mostly poses, since they were all made for v4m4/a4/h4. I had thought that DAZ had made those poses work for genesis, but it seems to really dick up the feet and hands pretty badly.

edited December 1969

I know there is a fix for the hands and feet, unfortunately i don't know where it is now with the new site... Maybe someone else will be so kind as to offer a link :)
    Genesis has some extra bones compared to gen4 figures though, so there might still be some tweeking envolved after...

edited December 1969

Most of them were freebies anyway, I'll just go lurk on mostdigitalcreations some more later >.>

Anyone happen to know any places to get freebie pose packs? It gets tedious installing poses 1 at a time.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

thanks for that, i've been fixing these manually

• rhattrhatt Posts: 2
    edited December 1969
  • creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Elele said:
    If you still want to render Genesis in Poser, atm i think the method with the least amount of Studio involved & without quality loss would be:

-Pose/morph genesis and save the pose & morphs in a format that studio can read

I haven't actually tried it though :red:, so i'm not sure it will work but it might be worth a shot :lol:

PS:Sorry bout all the smilies, wanted to try'm out :wow:

why would you pose in poser? if you can pose the figure 100 times faster in dazstudio? :cheese:
    you do not have powerpose in poser.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,049
    edited December 1969

Let's not turn this into an app war - people are going to have their preferred application in which they can work more efficiently, and it isn't going to be the same application for everyone.

edited December 1969

Let's not turn this into an app war - people are going to have their preferred application in which they can work more efficiently, and it isn't going to be the same application for everyone.

But, Richard! Drama is SOOOO much FUN! :P

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,049
    edited December 1969

Hmmmph

• WheatpennyWheatpenny Posts: 31
    edited April 2013

I never got into Daz Studio until Daz decided to give DS4 away for free.

Post edited by Wheatpenny on
  • pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,540
    edited December 1969

Personally, I neither want nor need Genesis.

I need a new generation figure that works in the program I prefer & clothing to support that figure.

Not really that much to ask.

edited December 1969

You're on the wrong forum, pwiecek. Try: https://support.smithmicro.com/

• edited December 1969

Meh - I've given up hoping that Genesis will ever work in Poser. I'll just have to make do with the characters and clothes that I have now and only buy the architecture/vehicle/landscape stuff. DAZ does get a lot less of my money than they used to, but that's the way it goes. I tried Studio and hated it, so that's that. I'm just very sad at how this all turned out.

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    You're on the wrong forum, pwiecek. Try: https://support.smithmicro.com/

No, that's not the point. I have never counted on Smith Micro for content. Daz got to the point they are at by providing poser content and they have abandoned that.

Except for spaceships. There are plenty of cool spaceships.

edited December 1969

So, you're demanding for a special new figure that is Poser compliant from DAZ?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,410
    edited December 1969

If they do a new figure for Poser users then the complaint would still be there cause not enough PA's are doing content. They won't be able to use the regular genesis content because of the current issues with Genesis in Poser.

• SwanSwan Posts: 134
    edited December 1969

I converted from Poser to DAZ 4 and, frankly, I've never looked back. I find DAZ far easier to use. While the rendering between Poser and DAZ can be questioned as to which is better, there is no comparison when using DAZ, Reality 2.0, and Luxrender. I haven't bothered to see if there's a bridge from Poser to Lux. No need to do so, especially with the improvements Genesis brought.

edited June 2012

Frank0314 said:
    If they do a new figure for Poser users then the complaint would still be there cause not enough PA's are doing content. They won't be able to use the regular genesis content because of the current issues with Genesis in Poser.

MMMM No.

There is plenty being made for Victoria 4. If there were a Victoria 5 for poser, the PA's would create for it. I'd go so far as to say that it would be DS4 that was lacking content in that case. Except that anything made for poser is allegedly useable in DS.

Post edited by pwiecek on