Carrara Challenge #23: “Fire And Water” - WIP Thread

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited March 2016

Regarding NPR render engine... I've only used Photorealistic and will have to play with NPR another time.

Regarding the pic I deleted... I went looking for information as to where the background was gotten and who it was by etc... couldn't find anything and don't want to use anything I don't know from where it came etc. Besides I finished the postwork should I find out later.

So back to the Carrara drawing board... off to create a backdrop there. Any suggestions for stars? I've thought of exploding an object and aligning the pieces.

[EDIT - 3/26/2016]
    Got the stars working. Added a moon in Carrara so that it is now similar to the pic I deleted.

Post edited by wgdjohn on

Need help!  All I need now is to know how to add links to my earlier disscussion posts.  I now have a final render with all text required except any of my links here in the WIP of course.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,814
    edited March 2016

Mouse over the time under your avatar of the post you want and copy link..

then paste into your new post yes

copylink.jpg
    730 x 231 - 22K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited March 2016

Sorry, couple of thoughts

Stars - one option to do it yourself and one option for sale in Daz store

- could insert a plane and then texture using layer list.  Make base layer black.  Second layer use a bright color gradient in diffuse channel and glow channel.  Use the spots function for the opacity mask.  Adjust size and brightness of spots.  Render and save the image.  Repeat but just use black with no spots.  Start over.  Insert a plane.  In the color channel use a mixer.  Mix your first glowing spot render with the pure black and use the mixer to control how dense the star field is.  For example, could use the natural function cellular and choose size and brightness to make sure there are plenty of black spaces in the sky.  Insert the result as a map in your scene background.

- Dartanbeck has a starry sky product for sale.  http://www.daz3d.com/starry-sky-for-carrara

Adding links to WIP

- copy and paste the url from the forum page that your WIP is on.

- or to be more exact, find your WIP post and click the time under your avatar (such as 9:03 am or 10:39 pm).  The forum post will then have a more exact url for that comment at the top of your screen.  Copy that url and paste it to your entry post.

EDIT - do what Stezza said! smiley

Post edited by Diomede on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    edited March 2016

here some things from me, sorry I havent been commenting, have a few things on ... everything modelled in carrara, I had some clouds for the steam but they were a dead loss so I did the steam in post ;) 

yes some brat of a kid snipped the rubber gas pipe just before this image was taken...

Doc3.jpg
    1422 x 2000 - 233K
    Doc2.jpg
    1252 x 1576 - 952K
    Untitled-2.jpg
    2558 x 1394 - 276K
    Post edited by Headwax on

Thanks Stezza and diomede... I was done but have been experimenting with some additional effects... now to select the best rendered pic.

edited March 2016

Excellent, Headwax!  I love how the water looks like it is boiling.

I am very happy.  I can't believe that I didn't discover until now that the multipass for volume primitives included Carrara's dynamic hair.  Bet people had tried to tell me, but I just didn't undestand it.  I was actually trying to work around the way that the NPR handled the fire and then I noticed that the hair that I had used to make the broom and the scrub brush was also included,  It may be hard to see but it is definitely there.  I wish I had known this before my disasterous "Scotsman with celery" NPR render in which I had tried to use hair in NPR and as part of the top of the celery model.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/35096/carrara-challenge-number-6-movie-poster-phobia-voting/p1

Time is running out so I may end up with another klunker, but I am so happy for all of my future non-photoreal efforts.

happy npr 2b volume primitive pass included hair and fire.jpg
    979 x 732 - 44K
    happy npr 3b volume pass second fire and hair.jpg
    1003 x 739 - 47K
    happy npr 1b fire and hair for brushes.jpg
    427 x 647 - 72K
  • behold the army of atlantis

• the army of atlantis

army of atlantis1d.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 555K
    edited March 2016

This is my last render and scene set-up before I my final entry. It is close but there are a few(+) effects that were added for the entry.

[Edit]  I tossed my original design for the fireballs/trails and created all 7 from scatch in another scene designing each at 0,0,0 axis. Each fireball and fire trail are different, each has been rotated and twisted to appear different. Then making a copy moving it and designing the next one. After all were created I just simply angled the fireballs/trails one pair at a time to match each others angle.

FireStorm

FireStorm setup.png
    1600 x 867 - 236K
    Fire Storm On Nevendore_4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • for TOON users:

for each object you can overwrite the toon setings.

so you can get transparent objects in the render.

btw make the eyelashes invisible.

• starboardstarboard Posts: 452

Much has been resolved...Still have to do some work on the wake and to blur shadows..The wake now streams from the ship and trails behind.. I am not sure why it did not work before, but it does now.  Still more detail to complete.... When complete it will be a clip of 12 seconds.   More figures are  needed  to complete the crew... It is hard to get a good crew these days...They want more grog..less water.  The image is all done totally in Carrara with no post work in PS or AE.  The next item to solve is the particle generator for the bow spray..back to the books.

head wax said:
    here some things from me, sorry I havent been commenting, have a few things on ... everything modelled in carrara, I had some clouds for the steam but they were a dead loss so I did the steam in post ;) 

yes some brat of a kid snipped the rubber gas pipe just before this image was taken...

Looks great... Keep brats away from sharp objects

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    Being from Wisconsin, I love Brats. They're good on buns with onions and stone ground mustard. Also cheese. ;-)
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,814

edited March 2016

Here is my final assemble room and the composite from my NPR render and the multipass from a photoreal render.

assemble room.JPG
    1543 x 909 - 156K
    snow white bath 21 composite jpg f.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 778K
    edited March 2016

And here is my other entry.  Many of the elements are gathered from elements that I modeled for previous challenges.  The oar is new.  The boatman is the fur trapper that I modeled for a previous challenge.  The burning house is a cottage that I made for a previous challenge.  The trees are carrara trees with custom leaves that I modeled for a previous challenge.  The terrain is new, but it closely follows the method that I used for a previous challenge.

Wyoming Valley 1755.jpg
    1200 x 750 - 50K
  • stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited March 2016

It was do or die on the clouds and lightning. I ended up with 16 volumetric cloud primitives and 45 fire primitives. I used the fire primitives for the wave splashes and for the fires and volcanic dome eruption. Attached below  is the final setup and the unprocessed render.

setup.png
    1385 x 706 - 445K
    neptuneRaw.jpg
    1400 x 868 - 781K
    Post edited by stringtheory9 on
    Wow! That is a great use of the fire primitives, volumetric clouds and lighting!
  • Thanks evil! smiley

Wow! That is a great use of the fire primitives, volumetric clouds and lighting!

edited March 2016

Anyone else having trouble seeing Bytescapes' latest post to the entry thread?

Shows up now..  Might have been a problem on my end.  Looks excellent, Bytescape, by the way.

diomede said:

Like Schultz from Hogan's Heroes, "I see nothing!"

I'll look again. I had the weird, I'm not a robot captcha thingy, so maybe he did to?
  • stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited March 2016

Since this challenge is all about the fire primitive I'm adding this observation. When the fire primitive is behind clouds and Realistic Sky is anabled, the clouds in front of the fire primitive do not obcure as they should. I have attached an example with Realistic Sky and another with a Bi Gradient background.

Post edited by stringtheory9 on
  • bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807
    diomede said:

Shows up now..  Might have been a problem on my end.  Looks excellent, Bytescape, by the way.

Actually, the problem was on my end (a case of PEBCAK -- Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard). I think I've fixed it now. Thank you for your timely warning.

I've just realized that my image may not qualify: the contest rules say "Fire or Water", but the contest title is Fire and Water, and I only have fire primitives (no ocean). Oh well, it was fun to do anyway.

While I'm on the subject, here's my WIP image, which I previously posted in the other WIP thread -- which is apparently not the right one. If anyone wants to see more of how the image was made, I can post wireframes, close-ups or whatever.

FireAndWater07-01.jpg
    960 x 720 - 381K
    edited March 2016

Glad you got the entry sorted out, Bytescapes.  Looks great.  As for the rules for this challenge, the winner of the previous challenge is the temporary dictator.  The fowl hombre (Chickenman) will have to decide.  But here is my completely worthless opinion.  I think that we are supposed to use either the fire primitive or the ocean primitive, not necessarily both - which your image has.  And, fire and water are depicted somehow (but not necessarily with the primitives).  How one of the primtiives would be used is open, as seen by the always quirky Sockratease using the fire primitive for his ocean by changing the textures and similarly using the ocean for the torch and again changing the textures.  Once a fire or ocean primitive is used, how the other element is depicted is also flexible - as seen by my using a terrain model for my river after I used the fire primitive around the cabin.  So, is water depicted somehow in your image (not necessarily the ocean primitive)?  I think I see some steam, fog or clouds above the hills - which is water.  And I am not being devious - fowl hombre himself says on the first page of the WIP thread that things like ice for an Ice Age and clouds would satisfy the requirement.

That is just my opinion.  Chickenman will sort it all out.

Yes it could be Ice And I guess it could also be Clouds as they are also Water in a vapor form.

I can't see the example, but thanks for the explanation.

Since this challenge is all about the fire primitive I'm adding this observation. When the fire primitive is behind clouds and Realistic Sky is anabled, the clouds in front of the fire primitive do not obcure as they should. I have attached an example with Realistic Sky and another with a Bi Gradient background.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

thanks diomede and wgdjohn

stezza and evil, ill keep that in mind when you come round for dinner ;)

stringtheory, that's awesome

• diomede said:

I can't see the example, but thanks for the explanation.

That's strange. I deleted the attachment. I wonder if that's why you cant see the example.