Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,027
    edited December 1969

As usual this thread has great, very inspiring work and there is so much to view since my last visit.

I’m fascinated by David’s lightening tutorials, and I’m trying to do"Bryce 5 minute lighting project - how to set up “obscure” lighting - a tutorial by David Brinnen" but I’m having problems to get the nice camera view you guys got- the cool zoomed in view. Can someone help me with numerical settings for the camera. David, Horo or TheSavage. My document setting is 600x600 Thanks

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,152
    edited December 1969

Difficult if we don't see your scene. I use the Perspective camera, not the Directors. For a still life, do not use larger FOV than 60° at scale 100% (which gives a camera angle of 40° which corresponds roughly to a 50 mm lens on a photo camera). Either move the camera, like David does in his videos, with the controls on the main GUI or enter the values in the camera dialog. I usually work as David does and then fine align in the camera dialog.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

GG...yeah, would definitely go for the bottom one, and also I think Savage’s lighter rendition of it has added even more to dynamics of the ‘rustling’ (you owe him a pint, or a ‘tinnie’ ;)). Reminds me of one of NC Wyeth’s paintings Blue Lock – The Queen. Would a yeeeehaaaaa be inappropriate? :)

Dan...nice one! The trees for me are a bit too distracting, but love the columns. Promised myself a while back to this negative terrain stuff, so off now to try it out.

Savage...very nice work...hope the check is a good as the renders? ;)

David...what can I say? Bet it’s one of those Solar Showers – it’s lucky the lights were positioned at just the right (ahem) locations :) As to Al Murray...haven’t seen him in years, and wow, he’s ‘thinned’ down since his TV show - with his pub bar and blown-up plastic world ;)

Jay

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

volumetric cloud tutorial.. first try

clouds-volume.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 879K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I had an idea yesterday (it's always a bit scary when that happens!!).

So today, I knocked these together for my plan... which I may get around to doing over the weekend.

Bryce-Icons.jpg
    800 x 620 - 207K
    Bryce-Controls.jpg
    537 x 620 - 79K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited November 2012

A couple of days ago those in Australia and surrounds experienced a total eclipse. Just to see if such an image of one was reproducible in Bryce, the comparison to the Wikipedia image of a real 1999 eclipse, it’s quite possible to get it, well, somewhat close. Small, one hour project.

Spheres and mats for Bailey Bead effect (pink stuff), atmospherics and stars. Single disk for Moon occulting effect. One radial light behind all.

Savage...very cool 3D effect to Brycee stuff.

Jay

eclipse-bryce.jpg
    934 x 434 - 134K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • canyonmanterrycanyonmanterry Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Wow wonderfull stuff everyone. I been out awile rebuilding a new PC. @savage what with the tape?? nice work! @dali when will I get to that level. Held off working in vue due to my computer can,t handle it well. But Bryce is to me much easier to use and to create with. This scene I put in is rather simple. and I kinda wanted a surreal look. A bryce sunset and a clear glass ball. I got the Idea from a sunset challange on another thread.

A_Little_Sureal_(800x404).jpg
    800 x 404 - 219K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Off one day and had to back up three pages to catch up.

@GG: Your first image reminds me a very late afternoon, in the fall, with a very strong thunderstorm coming in. I've seen these type. But if your image is as Dave showed, I agree it's much better, but can't give a reason why what you create and what we see are different.

@David: Before I read Horo's post, I thought the upper right and lower left had a more real look to them. The bottom right looks unfinished, like there's more to add to the aqueduct. And what have you created, a new type of tanning bed? She does look like it's enjoyable.

@Dave: I think your tape models are great, as usual. And absolutely love your Bryce items images. Well done.

@Jay: The image using the negative primitives is very nice. Should a lighter color be used so the damages areas have a more weathered look? Or were you trying for a weathered look?

@canyon: Sailing off into the sunset, on another planet, looks really nice. I only wonder if the haze shouldn't be darker below the planet and lighter where the sun shines through. Still, I do like it.

• canyonmanterrycanyonmanterry Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@Guessnemo. I Agree I Forgot a wake and then rendered in super fine gave an improvement

A_Little_Sureal_(800x404)_(2).jpg
    800 x 404 - 179K
  • kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

@dave, awesome brycey stuff, prelude to a new interface perhaps. Anyway, spent about an hour finding my Spyder and have now calibrated both the monitors and yes they were signifantly out so I,m going to upload the images again to see if this has fixed the darkness problem.

Cheers
    GG

Bull-Roundup-3e.jpg
    1754 x 881 - 885K
    Bringing-Home-the-Bulls-a.jpg
    1754 x 881 - 890K
  • kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

So, viewed on the laptop both images are showing as they should but on the desktop pc they are still quite a bit darker but I expect this could be a monitor age thing.
    Anyway I am leaning toward the 1st image for my gallery, what do you folks think???

Cheers
    GG

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I agree I think the first, the dust kicked up looks more authentic, and I prefer the sky

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Jay, yeah - I thought it best to put the lights there - even though I don't think she's got any genitals anyway. The sight of a nippleless breast is if anything even more of an offence to the sensibilities than one that is anatomically correct. The Bryce eclipse is very good ! Although never having seen an eclipse I have to say they both look equally unreal.

Rareth - well done with the clouds! I would recommend not having such radical changes in intensity in the ambient channel. If you make the transition of colours more subtle they tend to look more natural I find.

Dave - doing interesting things - as per usual.

Canyonmanterry - turned out very well, I like the simple motif and the render was certainly improved with the additional sampling.

Kiwi_gg - the first one with the bluer clouds. The dust looks better and I like the balance of light better.

My contribution, is another obscure lighting image and a mention of a new tutorial which relates to such lighting...

Bryce 15 minute scene project - how to set up multiple glowing objects - by David Brinnen

Tori1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 219K
  • eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You are all making those wonderful designs while I am still fiddling around with cubes.

cube5b.JPG
    1022 x 766 - 135K
  • IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

Horo, interesting, interesting and interestingly quick!

IceScribe, the genesis figure render looks really good. The harsh lighting suits it very well. The second image I think maybe would benefit from a little more fill light. In the third, for some reason, the pots look almost as big as the houses in the background. Which in turn makes the mountains look rather like hillocks.

Sheesh, more fantastic renders! while I was repairing mine per David B's suggestion. First of all, I've had to change the subject of #3 from Mayan to Andean, for it to make sense. So I've added the felt hat. I did check some photos on line of the Alto Plano and the volcano/es are very conical with some sandy looking foothills. I removed the pots and cropped to get rid of non-essential space. I adjusted the main girl's stance and added some smaller figures near the buildings. The hat covers her eyes, but this is not a portrait, more of a "tourist snapshot". Hat credit is StudioArtvartarian hat freebies 'caberet' style. The hills and volcano are moved back and set to distance blur as is the ground plane. Not high art, but I hope it reads better.

AltoPlano.jpg
    738 x 562 - 61K
    edited December 1969

@GG: The image you chose depends on what you want to emphasize. While the dust in the first image is more visible, the cattle are more detailed in the second image. As is the cowboy, grass, and trees. That said, lighting is balanced better in the first image which gives a better image overall. Like others, I'd vote for the first image.

@David: That's another interesting tutorial. And a fun looking image. Nice job.

@canyon: Adding the ship wake does help make the image look better. Real nice.

@eireann: Nothing wrong with playing with cubes. Especially when they turn out like the ones you've been doing. I like the multiple shadows you've achieved in the latest image.

@Ice: That is a nice image, though I would use more color to delineate the foreground mountains, ground plane, wall around the buildings, and the building walls. And it would make the image pop, unless this is the affect you're after.

edited December 1969

@Dan - Great render. Good to see you're still brycing.

@TheSavage64 - the tapes look very real. I really like how the Bryce tools turned out.

@Jamahoney - corona looks quite good. It all depends whether they are photographed through an earth based telescope or a one on a spacecraft - and the wavelength used. I like the protuberances visible.

@IceScribe - when I saw the first image, without reading the comment - I placed it in the Andes. Looks very typical.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,027
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Difficult if we don't see your scene. I use the Perspective camera, not the Directors. For a still life, do not use larger FOV than 60° at scale 100% (which gives a camera angle of 40° which corresponds roughly to a 50 mm lens on a photo camera). Either move the camera, like David does in his videos, with the controls on the main GUI or enter the values in the camera dialog. I usually work as David does and then fine align in the camera dialog.

Thanks Horo. I am trying to follow David’s movements and keep rewinding the videos. I use the camera view when I am doing David’s tutorials. I think my problem is I trying to run before I can walk. I need to go back to the basics – I’m still having problems with the camera and placing objects, but the TA and lighting experiments is an intriguing subject, I get easily distracted and David is on the ball with a tutorial almost every day. Thanks David.

Here’s my image took 33 minutes to render at 64Rpp. To me it looks more like viewed from the top than the front. I used one of my abstract images which I exported as a hdri.

obsurelighting.jpg
    600 x 600 - 48K
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Of course, I got side tracked yesterday and haven't done what I planned to do (yet).

But as a result of my sidetracking, I did manage to produce a soft boiled egg.
    I was just playing with some stuff and it looked a bit eggy, then I got to thinking about Dan's recent negative terrain stuff and this is the result.

Soft-Boiled-Egg.jpg
    500 x 500 - 174K
  • Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010

A very nice motive.

edited December 1969

In to the cave.

IntoTheCave.jpg
    750 x 500 - 398K
    edited December 1969

Of course, I got side tracked yesterday and haven't done what I planned to do (yet).

I was just playing with some stuff and it looked a bit eggy, then I got to thinking about Dan's recent negative terrain stuff and this is the result.

The eggshell looks excellent. I wouldn't bite into the egg, though, for fearing a few teeth. :) Nice render nevertheless.

edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    In to the cave.

The setup of the scene is really good, reminds me of that sort of cave entrances I've visited. To make it look more real, we would expect some greenery and the sky perhaps a bit less pinkish. The artist is right in any case.

edited December 1969

@Horo

My inspiration for the image is the movie "Journey to the Center of the Earth (USA · 1959)". And this world is not real.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

The eggshell looks excellent. I wouldn't bite into the egg, though, for fearing a few teeth. :) Nice render nevertheless.

Have to agree there, not sure I could dip my toast soldiers in that one.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Hmn... the anisotropic reflection is misbehaving in the background. The obscure lighting however works nicely. I continue to curse my own incompetence with DAZ studio. The process of correcting the materials for the model may be a bit fiddly, but at least I can do that in Bryce and not have the bitter battle with the tricksy DS interface. Doubtless it makes perfect sense to those familiar with it...

Tori2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 300K
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    @Horo

My inspiration for the image is the movie "Journey to the Center of the Earth (USA · 1959)". And this world is not real.

That's ok, Roland. I went after my memory. There are other places I haven't visited and look different. And on alien worlds, of which I have visited none yet, places may look even less familiar. That movie - Jules Verne then - I've read the book.

edited December 1969

@David Brinnen - great render. I like the greenish light from the orange light sources.

I have been experimenting a bit with Obscure Light and Obscure Glow and I very much like what can be done with it. Not actually an artwork, but a simple thing that shows what can be done with a few mouse clicks. Thanks for figuring this out.

RGB.jpg
    800 x 800 - 86K
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: That is an interesting object, though not a lot of detail can be seen from that view. Perhaps if you rotated the object left or right, or repositioned the camera and zoomed in a bit? I'd like to see how intricate an object you have there.

@Dave: Perhaps it's the goat in me, but I'd have a go at your egg. I think it looks great. Now I'm hungry after talking about this.

@Roland: That's a nice job, especially the light rays.

@David: Like what you've done in that image. Though I can't recall ever seeing that type of Flamingo before.

@Horo: That is an interesting render. I looked at the position of the red light on the cube, and on the sphere and wondered if the sphere would indeed be able to reflect red light.. Or is there another source of red light not showing? When I have the mindset, I'll have to look closer to this Obscure Light and Glow. I've watched David's videos, but not studied them closely.

edited December 1969

I'm not sure what the problem with the egg is, though I guess it doesn't look 'soft' enough.
    With this in mind, I've added a runnier yolk using some metaballs, also taken some of the reflection and specularity off the egg white.
    Then I changed the egg cup material and added some soldiers to dip in. :cheese:

Boiled-Egg-Soldiers.jpg
    800 x 500 - 117K
This discussion has been closed.