Carrara Genesis 3

Finally imported Genesis 3 character and started to play with it in Carrara...Carrara crashed.
Repeatedly.

Getting the sense that Carrara is getting sent to live on a farm.
Where it'll chase rabbits all day and play with all the other programs until they get tired.

Carrara will fall asleep cuddled together with all the other programs.
Dreaming about how much they're loved.

Has DAZ given up on Carrara? 

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Hi Cripeman

Genesis 3 doesn't work in carrara,. it uses a different bone weight system,. which carrara doesn't have,.  yet....

as far as anyone is aware,. the current state of play is that the developers are adding support for genesis,.

really great to see you here ,. hope all is good
    Andy

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited April 2016

Hi, Cripeman.  Thanks for all of your tutorials.

Genesis 3's figure system does not work in Carrara.  Here is the forum post from last November that leads us to believe that Daz has not completely abandoned Carrara. 

Make of it what you will. (for more context, see the link to the thread at bottom)

"Jon isn't in a position to make "promises" on behalf of the Software Dev team. Jon [and "Rawb"—also known as "other Rob"] are Web Dev guys. The technical side of Daz Connect (i.e. figuring out how it will work, and then making it work) is a joint effort between the Web Dev and Software Dev teams, at the behest of executive management. The policy side of Daz Connect (i.e. deciding whether it exists at all, and when/what it is applied to) is up to Marketing and executive management.

Is Genesis 3 support being worked on for Carrara? Yes, it is. Will I give you a date on when a build that has Genesis 3 support is going to be publicly available? Sorry, I will not—not yet anyway.

I will say that support for dual quaternion skinning (a prerequisite for Genesis 3 support, and quite useful in its own right) has been implemented and has been with the Private Build testers for several weeks now. Feedback on the feature(s) thus far has been positive. I will also say that earlier this month the Private Build testers were asked what they thought about releasing a build with the dual quaternion skinning support. The responses we got basically boiled down to it not being enough to make much of a difference in the current climate. We [reluctantly] agree, and so decided to hold the feature until Genesis 3 support could be implemented.

And on that note, recently the Private Build testers were given a build that provides their first look at Genesis 3 support. Initial reactions have been positive, however there are a few things that we knew were not working correctly before we gave them the build. We are looking for [and getting] feedback from that team to help us suss out where the other problems are.

As for the question of Daz Connect support in Carrara... It is still a bit too early to commit. I know that is probably not what you want to read/hear, but that is all I can really say about it right now. There are still some things to be ironed out, and dealing with those things in two very complex applications at the same time—particularly with a team that runs on the lean side anyway—would be very unwise. Daz Studio is the proving grounds for Daz Connect integration.

-Rob"

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/944221/#Comment_944221

Post edited by Diomede on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

the tutorial on motion paths was very helpful.  thank you smiley cheers

• cripemancripeman Posts: 63

Thanx y'all. 
    I don't get on here as much these days. Seems DS is the direction DAZ is going.

I "like" Daz Studio. It's clean...effecient...more than capable... but it's not Carrara...broken heart

I'll keep my fingers crossed on a fix ...but... I do understand eventualities ....

I've been well Andy, thanx for asking. 
    I'm in full recovery mode. Chugging along.

Hope you're doing good brother.

• cripemancripeman Posts: 63
    MistyMist said:

the tutorial on motion paths was very helpful.  thank you smiley cheers

Good to know Misty thanx.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    cripeman said:

Thanx y'all. 

I "like" Daz Studio. It's clean...effecient...more than capable... but it's not Carrara...broken heart

I'll keep my fingers crossed on a fix ...but... I do understand eventualities ....

Hey, that's really great news to hear Cripeman! I hadn't seen anything from you for awhile and was concerned for you.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219

cripeman said:

Fantastic news!!!

Yeah, Andy... I hope you're doing well too. Glad to see both of you here!!! Love ya, Brothers!!!

cripeman said:

Thanx y'all. 

I feel the same way. I'm really proud of them for turning D|S into such a formidable render studio/content creation system. It really is nice now.

but it's not Carrara...broken heart Nothing is... except for Carrara. 

I've had some fun with Genesis 2 Female in Carrara. The shape of the figure is fantastic. Quite realistic. The new Genesis 3 is even more realistic and has more bones, primarily in the face, making animated nuances a dream (I'm guessing. It doesn't work in Carrara, so I still shy away)

As always, I have faith that Daz 3D won't let us down. Daz 3D rocks, and they're going to prove it to us!

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Good to hear your doing well Cripeman :)

and I'm good, thanks ,. my eyes are getting older,.  but so far,. not the rest of me,.  :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    3DAGE said:

Good to hear your doing well Cripeman :)

and I'm good, thanks ,. my eyes are getting older,.  but so far,. not the rest of me,.  :)

Geez, I hear you about the eyes. I think I can deal with the odd ache and pain, or a little stiffness in the joints when I wake up in the morning, better than I can with the stiffening up of the eye ball parts.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    cripeman said:

Thanx y'all. 

Great to hear you are doing well. Just had to jump in and thank you for all your Carrara videos... they have been very helpful and well done... got me back into the Vertex room after being too long away from it. Carrara blows the doors off of DS. :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810

Well now we have GenX to bring G3M and F morphs over and I have gotten a reasonable workflow to transfer outfits over to G2M and Female and Genesis with additional bones, these new pro bundles like Kenji 7 looking slightly more tempting, only Skins, poses and HD morphs unuseable in Carrara on my Genesis2 and below.

The only stumbling block for me now is the still abysmal Australian dollar.

but once that improves if it does and there is another sale, might start to buy Genesis 3 stuff and wrestle it into Carrara friendly assets in DAZ studio, I am a sucker for new shiney .

it's not fairrrrr

iclone? and poser?  both has G3.

what about ussss??

and to top it all off, my last raisenette just rolled off my desk to a motley gray carpet never to be found again.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    Sad said:

Well now we have GenX to bring G3M and F morphs over and I have gotten a reasonable workflow to transfer outfits over to G2M and Female and Genesis with additional bones, these new pro bundles like Kenji 7 looking slightly more tempting, only Skins, poses and HD morphs unuseable in Carrara on my Genesis2 and below.

but once that improves if it does and there is another sale, might start to buy Genesis 3 stuff and wrestle it into Carrara friendly assets in DAZ studio, I am a sucker for new shiney .

I have Gen X2 but not the latest plugin that allows for Genesis3 support and to take shapes from Gen3 to put on Gen2 or Gen1 (Gen1 is my preference figure). 

I'm really struck by how excellent Kenji looks, first Gen3 character that really grabbed me.  How good is Gen X2 at taking shapes from Gen3 to Gen1, if you know?

Jonstark said:
    Sad said:

I have Gen X2 but not the latest plugin that allows for Genesis3 support and to take shapes from Gen3 to put on Gen2 or Gen1 (Gen1 is my preference figure). 

I'm really struck by how excellent Kenji looks, first Gen3 character that really grabbed me.  How good is Gen X2 at taking shapes from Gen3 to Gen1, if you know?

I replied in other thread before I saw this post, very good, no HD of course but George transfered over very well, now I just need to figure out how to use Mari noncommercial and Ptex for baking the skins to the other UV's

Sad said:
    Jonstark said:
    Sad said:

I replied in other thread before I saw this post, very good, no HD of course but George transfered over very well, now I just need to figure out how to use Mari noncommercial and Ptex for baking the skins to the other UV's

Sweet!  I'm sorry I asked the same question in two different posts, my mistake, but I'm happy to here the process seems to work well.  Think I'll pick up Kenji and give it a try  :)   Of course I still won't be able to use the textures I guess, but I really like the shape.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,798
    Sad said:

Wendy,

can you list the products needed to do it... with maybe the links to the items in the store kiss

would like to see what's involved as well as the cost... then maybe wishlist till a big sale comes along

for the clothing

well you need clones, you can make your own, there is a thread on it otherwise

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-female-for-genesis-2-female-s

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-male-for-genesis-2-male-s

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-clones-for-genesis-bundle

then using a reverse of this tutorial

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1043638/#Comment_1043638

you basically convert  the clothing to triax instead

then in transfer utility

select the clone of the G3M or F  with your earlier figure as the source

and pretty much do the same thing as outlined by Sickle but the other way

for the charcters

GenX2 with the addon you do the same as previous versions of GenX

I have not got a lot of Genesis 3 stuff yet myself but most I have has converted quite nicely, only a few bits like Wildenlander Sheath bit wonky deleting it outfit with geometry editor then making a prop or exporting an obj and editing that for a parented prop works better.

thanks wendy yes

Stezza said:
    Sad said:

Wendy,

can you list the products needed to do it... with maybe the links to the items in the store kiss

would like to see what's involved as well as the cost... then maybe wishlist till a big sale comes along

For taking Genesis3 clothes to turn them into  Genesis1 clothes, you need Sickleyield's Genesis 3 Clones for Genesis (link is for the bundle, but if needed you could buy either the Genesis3Female to Genesis1 clone or the Genesis3Male to Genesis1 clone):

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-clones-for-genesis-bundle ($32.95)

For taking Genesis2 clothes to turn them into Genesis2 clothes there are 2 products for the male and female versions (no bundle that I could find on this one):

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-male-for-genesis-2-male-s  (Genesis 3 Male for Genesis 2 Male, $14.95) 

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-female-for-genesis-2-female-s (Genesis 3 Female for Genesis 2 Female, $19.95)

For taking character morph shapes from any Genesis 3 character and putting it on a Genesis2 or Genesis1 figure, you'd need the Genesis Generation X2 tool/plugin:

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-generation-x2  ($37.95)

but that's just the base program to get shapes from Generation 4 figures and poser figures to Genesis1, by itself it doesn't cover Genesis2 or Genesis 3, so you'd need the plugin addons:

http://www.daz3d.com/genx2-addon-for-genesis-2 ($9.95)

and  http://www.daz3d.com/genx2-addon-for-genesis-3 ($14.95)

wondering if the g3m pro bits will crash carrara if loaded by itself?

is it weightmapped?

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I have tried some of the new G3 clothes and depending on who made them some will crash Carrara and some don't depending on who rigged it and using which skeleton.

Jonstark said:
    Stezza said:
    Sad said:

Wendy,

For taking Genesis3 clothes to turn them into  Genesis1 clothes, you need Sickleyield's Genesis 3 Clones for Genesis (link is for the bundle, but if needed you could buy either the Genesis3Female to Genesis1 clone or the Genesis3Male to Genesis1 clone):

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-clones-for-genesis-bundle ($32.95)

For taking Genesis2 clothes to turn them into Genesis2 clothes there are 2 products for the male and female versions (no bundle that I could find on this one):

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-male-for-genesis-2-male-s  (Genesis 3 Male for Genesis 2 Male, $14.95) 

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-female-for-genesis-2-female-s (Genesis 3 Female for Genesis 2 Female, $19.95)

For taking character morph shapes from any Genesis 3 character and putting it on a Genesis2 or Genesis1 figure, you'd need the Genesis Generation X2 tool/plugin:

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-generation-x2  ($37.95)

but that's just the base program to get shapes from Generation 4 figures and poser figures to Genesis1, by itself it doesn't cover Genesis2 or Genesis 3, so you'd need the plugin addons:

http://www.daz3d.com/genx2-addon-for-genesis-2 ($9.95)

and  http://www.daz3d.com/genx2-addon-for-genesis-3 ($14.95)

Thanks @jonstark

Daz may have to bundle it all up and discount it heavily to entice us... while we wait ( only been 3 years ) for the update to come. no

exporting g3m to cr2 with exp didnt work. ds4.6

lotta empty/semi empty files

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219

Right. CR2 can't support something advanced like Triax, and Genesis 3 is more advanced than that: Quaternion. 

The new technology was a brilliant move by Daz3d... it's a much better solution and easier to work with. Too bad Carrara couldn't have been developed right along side of all of this. DAZ Studio is amazing for posing Genesis, but Carrara takes it in the creative artists department 

the fbx method doesnt work?

guessing the weightmapping is lost?

• If you export with FBX 2012 format or something like that the weightmaps should be fine, at least any G3 exported to FBX imports to Lightwave without problems (LW does not support UDIM or any fanzy weight maps).

But of course there could be a problem in Carrara FBX import.

On the other hand the weight maps that come out from DS FBX export or not very nice, I think they are optimized for game export and do not deform very well, you will have to do some hands on to get it nicer.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited August 2016

If you export with FBX 2012 format or something like that the weightmaps should be fine, at least any G3 exported to FBX imports to Lightwave without problems (LW does not support UDIM or any fanzy weight maps).

But of course there could be a problem in Carrara FBX import.

On the other hand the weight maps that come out from DS FBX export or not very nice, I think they are optimized for game export and do not deform very well, you will have to do some hands on to get it nicer.

Which is the better FBX Exporter - DAZ Studio 4.9 or Poser Pro 2014 Game Developer?

I know I prefer the ease of exporting to FBX in Poser Pro 2014 and the naming scheme Poser Pro 2014 uses but technically Poser Pro 2014 looks better to my eye but I don't know if it's actually a technically better export than what DAZ Studio 4.9 is producing.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

what if, like, havent thought it through, but thinking of Men in Black movie with the Edgar suit, 
    converting g3m figure as a suit, 

well I am not doing very well at boycotting the buggers cheeky

Just added Tween Ryan pro bundle to my growing stable of Carrara unfriendlies as he was $26;45 due to my owning a few others in spite of my resolve

they keep flogging em cheap and they do work in iClone so .........grrrrrrr

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    Sad said:

well I am not doing very well at boycotting the buggers cheeky

Just added Tween Ryan pro bundle to my growing stable of Carrara unfriendlies as he was $26;45 due to my owning a few others in spite of my resolve

they keep flogging em cheap and they do work in iClone so .........grrrrrrr

You too, I also did the same thing although I dont have Iclone.