GenX: Converting G2 to G1

Could somebody please provide a quick rundown on how to convert a G2 base figure to a G1 clone using GenX Generations?  No morph injections, no poses, just the figure? 

I have both GenX and the update for G2 support, but I'm having trouble figuring out the manual.

Thanks.

Comments

• Thanks for the link, but that thread appears to be devoted to converting G2 to G1 without using GenX Generations.

Presumably somebody out there has used GenX Generations to convert V6 or M6 or Mei Lin to Genesis.  If so, please tell me how. 

(Or even how to simply transfer a G2 head morph onto G1 using GenX. I could always approximate the body by spinning dials.)

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,990

Sorry, I just started reading over the links but didn't fully read them. As I said, GoogleFuu.

Well, there is a really good tutorial in German language, ( http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/688993/#Comment_688993 ) but I'm not sure that's useful to you.

Here's some basic tutorial, G1 to G2: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/48881/

Here's a translation of the German post regarding transfer of G2 to G1, but I recommend that you go for the basic tutorial mentioned above first:

To transfer the character, select the values as shown in the image:

Genesis 2 Female was selected by clicking on Source.

Mode: Create Single Morph -> creates a single morph
    Shape: Genesis 2 Female
    Target: Genesis -> selects the target, in this case, G1

Use the button Select to chose the entry Get Values from Figure in Scene . It will select the values of each morph of G2F in the recent morphlist of G2F and transfer them to GenX2.

After the values are transferred, clict Select again and chose the option Transfer: On for All Non-Zero Values for all required morphs.

Click on the button Transfer to start conversion.

A window pops up where you have to enter the name of the morph. The field Identifier should remain empty.

GenX2 doesn't make a suggestion in the field Icon in this example. Through the button File you can add the path to the respective image.

Click on the button Accept to complete conversion.

If you reload G1, you can see the new shape in Shaping , the Clone Shape Genesis 2 Female for Genesis1 at
    Genesis -> Actor -> Generation X -> **People**
    and Imogen_V6 at Genesis -> Actor -> Generation X -> Genesis 2 Female

• Thanks for all your help so far.

If I wanted to convert a specific G2 character (Michael, Vicky, Mei Lin, Darius, et al) to G1 would I do anything different from the above?

• I ask because there's no option to load a specifc G2 character.  The only G2 options in the Load Figure button are the generic Genesis 2 Male and Genesis 2 Female.  I can't tell it to load Michael 6 or Victoria 6, so I don't know if it's pointing at a specific character or simply at the G2 base figures. 

Additionally, the values of the G2 figure in question (to the right of the Load Figure/Apply Pose buttons) remain static, whether I choose, say, the Base G2 Female, or something specific like Mei Lin 6. 

Lastly, when I select Get Values From Figure In Scene, the GenX window doesn't appear to update. How do I know the "changes" I'm making have taken effect?

• MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited March 2016

If you would like to transfer full character morphs like Victoria 6, Michael 6, Mei Lin 6 and so on. It is even easier than transfer a customized character like the described Imogen for V6 character.

Choose your Base Figure Genesis2 Female or Genesis2 Male via the Source button. The GenX-Tab will show all full character morphs if you expand the (region) Actor section.

Now on the left side check all the morphs you would like to transfer and make the following adjustments in the GenX-Tab:

Mode: Selected Morphs
    Shape: Genesis 2 Male ( or Genesis2 Female - it is always the same as your Source)
    Target: Genesis

Click on Transfer.

Reload the Genesis1 figure and the transfered morphs should be in the same section BeeMKay told you in the post above.

If you would like to transfer just a simple Head Morph, click on Reset, choose your base figure via the source button and expand the region (Head) section. There you will see all the head morphs you have. Same applys to all other body regions, expand the required body region (hand, feet, legs) and check everything you would like to transfer.

Post edited by MN-150374 on
  • Ah, thanks!  I didn't notice that Region/Actor tab before.  So if I'm converting Mei Lin straight-up with no special poses or morphs or whatever, then the only things I need selected in the expanded Region/Actor screen are Mei Lin 6, Mei Lin 6 Body, and Mei Lin 6 Head.  Correct?

edited March 2016

Yes, thats correct! As sidenote, if you are not pleased with a transfer result, just go to the GenX tab and switch over from Transfer to Morphs. There you will see all your transfered morphs and there is the possibility to delete.

Don´t be afraid about experimenting. There you have always a second chance. :-)

• Obviously I'm missing a step here, because it's not working.  I've tried converting Mei Lin twice. Each time afterwards, I've cleared the sceen, then loaded the G1 figure.  My new "morph" appears under shaping with the appropriate name and icon.  But when I select the morph and increase value to 1, all that happens is that my G1 shape gets shorter.  (Mei Lin is petite in stature.)

edited March 2016

You have to dial in the Genesis2 Female Clone Shape also. Take a look in your Shaping Tab at: Genesis -> Actor -> Generation X -> **People**

The other thing that comes to mind, if you split up your Library somehow GenX2 will not work properly. That means the Genesis and Genesis2 Figures have to be in the same Library.

Take a look at the following path at your Hardrive: DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\data\DAZ 3D\

There should be a folder Genesis and a folder Genesis2 in there. Otherwise you will get not the desired transfer results.

If thats not helpful, you may post the issue in the official GenX2 Discussion: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24079/genx2-and-genesis-2-addon-released-upgrade-ends-soon-commercial/p1

GenX2-People.jpg
    521 x 489 - 71K
  • My G2F tab is there.  Setting it to 1 makes my Genesis a female, but the Mei Lin slider only makes her smaller.  It does not transfer Mei Lin's physical features.

If you'll be patient with me, here are captures of my workflow step by step. Somewhere here I appear to keep messing up.

Image 1: Mei Lin is already in scene, selected, with GenX launched.  Here, data has been received from Mei Lin figure by clicking source. Under morphs, as you can hopefully see, Mei Lin morphs are available and checked/ticked on left hand side. No other morphs are checked with left hand checks. There are right column checks on some of the non Mei Lin morphs, but that's GenX's doing, not mine.  Next:

Image 2: Get Value From Scene Selected

Image 3: Transfer: On For All Non Zero Values

Image 4: Transfer button is clicked when I get this warning message: "Some selected morphs have a zero value and will be ignored. Continue anyway?"  I click yes.

Image 5: Morph is named and icon selected.

Image 6: Scene closed.  New scene launched with Genesis figure selected.

Image 7: G2F and Mei Lin morph icons pop up and set to 1.0.  G figure becomes female (and smaller) but clearly has not taken on Mei Lin's visage.

mei-prob03.jpg
    1108 x 1037 - 223K
    mei-prob05.jpg
    1102 x 1033 - 240K
    mei-prob06.jpg
    1088 x 1033 - 231K
    mei-prob08.jpg
    1072 x 1037 - 231K
    mei-prob09.jpg
    1092 x 1039 - 227K
    mei-prob10.jpg
    1153 x 859 - 169K
    mei-prob11.jpg
    1183 x 850 - 172K
    edited March 2016

By going through the screenshots, I see what the problem is. You are still mixing the two different methods of conversion.

Now try this, just start with an empty scene. Don´t load Genesis2 Female/Mei Lin6 in the scene. Go to the GenX2-Tab and follow these steps:

1. Choose Genesis2 Female via the Source Button

2. Check Mei Lin 6 and Mei Lin 6 Body in the Region Actor Section

3. Change Mode to Selected Morphs ( Create Single Morph is causing the problem in your workflow!).

4. Go to the bottom of the GenX2-Tab and change the option Ignore Conditional Morphs to Transfer Conditional Morphs

5. Click on the Transfer Button

And thats it, now load the Genesis figure and you should have both Morphs you selected, Mei Lin 6 and Mei Lin 6 Body.

In case of Mei Lin 6 you don´t need a figure in the scene nor do you need the values from figure in scene. And there will be no longer a dialouge to give the single transfered morph a name.

edited March 2016

Just to explain the other way of transfering a customized character based on a variety of morphs.

Start with an empty scene. This time load Genesis2 Female in your scene. Dial In the Mei Lin 6 at Value 1 and Dial in the Bodybuilder Morph at 0.5. Now you have a pretty muscular version of Mei Lin. Basicly you created your own customized character that is not available in the DAZ Shop or somewhere else. It is not Default Mei Lin 6 nor is it the Default Female Bodybuilder, but it is based on both.

Go to the GenX2-Tab and follow these steps:

1. Choose Genesis2 Female via the Source Button

2. Change the Mode to Create Single Morph

3. Go to the Select Button and choose the Option Get Values from Figure in Scene

4. Again via the Select Button choose Transfer: On For All Non Zero Values

5. Click on the Transfer Button

6. If the Dialouge pops up enter the Name MeiLinMuscular and click on Accept

Now if you reload Genesis, you will find a new slider called MeiLinMuscular. If you dial in that one, you will clearly see the difference. The Mei Lin 6 Shape (Value 1) and the Bodybuilder Shape (Value 0.5)  have been welded together in one Single Morph. ;-)

With that method you don´t need to select anything in the Region Actor Section. Because only those morphs will be recognized with Non Zero Value. The Zero Morph Warning Message should not be there this time.

• Yay!  We have lift-off! wink

Finally I can morph Mei Lin (and other G2) to G1.  You have my thanks!

Fine! I am glad my explanation was helpful.

• A followup:

Last night I downloaded and installed the GenX add-on for G3 (via DIM) but when I run GenX I don't get the option to transfer morphs to G3, only G1 and G2 as before. Did I miss a step somewhere in the installation/upgrade process?

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

You need to ensure that you have both the latest versions of the addons and the last released version of GenX2. Try re-downloading GenX2 from your product library here at DAZ3D and re-installing it over your existing version (with DAZ Studio closed, of course). Start up DAZ Studio, open the GenX window and see if the Genesis 3 figures are showing up now.

edited June 2019

I agree with SixDs!

Take a look at the GenX2 Discussion . The Basic GenX2 Software should be Version 2.1.0. or above.

You may also take a look at the GenX Tutorial list in Novicas Art Studio Thread.

• zombiewhackerzombiewhacker Posts: 671
    edited July 2019

Yep, that was the issue. Once I updated the original GenX/add-ons, that solved my problem, thanks

One strange thing, though: when transferring a Genesis female to G3F (using the steps MN-150374 outlined above), the head transfers almost perfectly but the breasts are ridiculously large (my original Genesis female had normal sized breasts). I'm able to resolve this by resizing them in G3F, but is this a known issue in GenX? (I should note the G1F is a mix of separate morphs and not a base/core character.)

Post edited by zombiewhacker on