How is DAZ Studio doing with Windows 10 ?

How is DAZ Studio doing with Windows 10 ?

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,846

No problems here with DS, Carrara, Hexagon & Bryce all working fine yes

as well as PoserPro 2012 yes

but Poser 7 is a no go no

Windows 10 RTM

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,691

.what about Daz 2.3, Daz 3.1 PSPX4 as well as older versions of Adobe CS?

• RorrKonnRorrKonn Posts: 509

I'm a bit concerned about getting 10 also

there's a windows thing that lets u pick what OP the app originally ran on

I've used the around win98 C4D 9 basic for a long time now on vista,xp,64 bit 8.

Photoshop has very reasonable subscriptions now.

think it's a $1000 to get the latest C4D prime ,ouch.

but Houdini has a cool indie license ,so ,who knows.

I'll gamble n roll the dice.

• kyoto kid said:

Where do you download Daz 2.3, Daz 3.1 ?

I haven't seen them around !

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,847

Daz Studio 4.8 seems to work fine with Windows 10.

• HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,662
    edited March 2019

Post edited by HorusRa on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,907
    I hear good things about Dx 12 and graphics with Win10. Supposedly huge speed ups?

Being a Carrara user I don't know about those early DS versions..

PSPX4 if I remember had issues with Windows 8 so not sure.. X6 is fine

If the adobe CS is that !Free! version that is available then there could be issues with that..

PhotoShop Elements 13 is no issue, working fine.

Daz Instal Manager works fine yes

kyoto kid said:

edited July 2015
    kyoto kid said:

kyoto kid said:

...unfortunately they are no longer available.  I have backups of all the earlier versions starting with 1.8 as they still used the old Bitrock ,exes. Since I did not have Net service from home until a couple years ago I had to DL at a hotspot and then install after I got home.  Like most I made backups of all the installers should I need them later. I actually still run 3.1 64  bit and 2.3 to use plugins and shaders that were never updated for 4.0+ or that I couldn't afford to update after losing my full time job.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,283
    edited July 2015

I'm a packrat.  I've kept every official version of DAZ Studio ever issued and many of the Betas and most of the free plugins but I never use them.  I'm going to have the CDs cremated with me when I go. surprise  Who says you can't take it with you?

I'm particularly interested in Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 working in Windows10.  But I'm sure I'll keep enough older versions of Windows around that I'd be able to somehow use them.  However, working on Windows10 would be best.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • RorrKonnRorrKonn Posts: 509

I still use a tower ,no touch screen.my wacom has touch but I don't use the touch part a lot.
    I still use a mouse with Daz Studio.
    Can you use Daz Studio on a touch screen with out a mouse or key board ?

I saw win10 face recognition commercial.
    We don't half to use face recognition do we ?
    We can still use a password with win10 ,right ?

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    kyoto kid said:

If it helps any, I'm running DS3.1 and PSPX4 on Win 8.1. The Win10 advisor did not find any issues with my rig, which is only a year old, or with my apps. I just installed the LIE from a Bitrock installer with no probs. I think if you have everything running on 8.1 OK, Win10 should not be such a big deal. When installing some of the older programs on Win8.1, I found it helped to run the installer in compatibility mode AND administrator mode. Once installed, the app only needed compatibility mode.

edited July 2015

...I'm running Win7 Home. 

The WIn10 compatibility check said my rig was OK but that may not necessarily relate to software and some drivers.  I needed to switch the compatibility for my trackball driver to XP to get it to work as the model I have isn't available anymore and it is still the most comfortable one I've found for my arthritic wrists and hands.

Looks as if 10 is right out for me as neither the Home or Pro version allows one to completely turn off auto updating or reject updates (particularly useful when one doesn't use features or hardware updates are targeted for).  To get the Enterprivse version (the only one which will allow you full control over updating like all versions of 7 and 8.1 currently allow), you must be a company that is registered with MS's Software Assurance Programme.

Well, like i've been saying, it gives me 5 years to learn how to become an IT tech so I can set up and maintain Linux (and hopefully Daz will by then have full Linux support)

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,283

Anybody know if you get the Win10 download during the "free" period can you keep the download stored without installing it, then install it later, on the same computer, perhaps after the free period is over?

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342

I don't want MS installing something on my machine unless I know for sure everything works. I tried to remove some earlier stuff by unchecking it, but it installed anyway. I uninstalled, and it reinstalled without my say-so. Each time I went to shut down or restart, it was there again. I"d go to uncheck it from win update, and it would reappear. Zombies!

edited July 2015

...sounds like MS is becoming "Big Brother.." .

• Anybody know if you get the Win10 download during the "free" period can you keep the download stored without installing it, then install it later, on the same computer, perhaps after the free period is over?

Certainly the blurb says you canb download and isntall at your leisure. I'm not sure if you can avoid multiple downloads by copying the file between computers though, and I don't know how long you can wait. (I hope copying is possible, three 3GB downloads would make a siginificant dent in my monthly data allowance.)

Yes, the ISO will be available for download after the 29th.. so M$ have said.. 

I installed a clean copy of RTM ( converted the ESD file to an ISO then mounted it ) and used my Win8.1 key, no problems so I'd say the downloadable ISO will be the same ie.. use your current reg key to activate.

Anybody know if you get the Win10 download during the "free" period can you keep the download stored without installing it, then install it later, on the same computer, perhaps after the free period is over?

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    kyoto kid said:

Looks as if 10 is right out for me as neither the Home or Pro version allows one to completely turn off auto updating or reject updates (particularly useful when one doesn't use features or hardware updates are targeted for). 

I agree that this is a terrifying prospect. Want to be more terrified? Windows 10 will be implemented as a service so that the operating system will be changing all the time as modules are downloaded from "The Cloud" whenever Microsoft decide that they want to change something. This is, of course, the first step to paying a monthly subscripion fee for your Operating System, something M$ have wanted to do for years.

I have lost count of the number of times that a so-called "Security Update" has broken something, not to mention forced reboots in the middle of long-running renders because M$ decided that the update was so important that it had to be installed regardless of what I was doing. Imagine what it's going to be like when Microsoft decide to change entire application components at will - just because they know what's best ... just like they did with Windows 8!

edited July 2015
    Post edited by acanthis on

..precisely why I cancelled my reservation.  Too much  of a "big brother" approach for me.

kyoto kid said:

..precisely why I cancelled my reservation.  Too much  of a "big brother" approach for me.

I did exactly the same, but discovered that M$ have been secretly downloading the installer in the background so that on Ten Day they can do a "Tadaaa - here is Windows 10 For YOU!" (And thanks for unknowingly giving us permission to change whatever we like when we like).

Once I had tracked down and removed that awful piece of M$ Adware, GWX (also known as "Get Windows 10"), 3.5GB of space miraculously reappeared, confirming my suspicion that something recently had eaten up a sizeable chunk of hard disk.

Anyway, I'm not ruling 10 out completely, but it's not going to happen for me on Ten Day (29/07/2015) and not until I see what a mess M$ make of the upgrade routine.

btw Did you know that it is M$ policy to have home users "test" Windows 10 before it gets released to big business. No? Why else did you think it was free? smiley

edited July 2015

And here's another cracking good "feature" in Windows 10. Want to share your WiFi passwords with all your pals? No? Tough.

http://reviews.gizmodo.com/why-the-hell-is-windows-10-sharing-my-wi-fi-passwords-1719900675

Post edited by acanthis on
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

my understanding is you do not have an "upgrade at gunpoint" when Win OS X goes live but Microsoft does not always give straightforward answers, only what I found on various forums and blogs that I pray to great Atheismo have correct info

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/WhatsTheDealWithWindows10ForTheNonTechnicalFriend.aspx

acanthis said:

Good info. Thanks for the links. nVidia users check out the second link for sure. Troubles already.

My pc is 3 1/2 years old and I want to keep it around for 2 or more years if I can. But since this offer is only for a year, that kind of forces me to get a new one within that time period to take advantage. Kinda like Cash for Clunkers. laugh

What I"d like to know is why can't Windows figure out that your four processors are busy and hold off a restart until the entire thing is quiet? and/or have a little button you can press that says 'lightning in area so shut down NOW and install the damn updates on startup'.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,151

Just read a bit on line that states that you can schedule times when the updates will be installed...

In Windows 10, there are just two update options: check, download, install, and reboot automatically; and check, download, install automatically and then choose to reboot.

I imagine most folks will choose the latter.  I sure will.  It seems these two few options are just for the Home versions... the Enterprise and Pro versions offer more options.  Enterprise offers options similar to Windows 7/8/8.1

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,850
    edited July 2015
    kyoto kid said:
    Looks as if 10 is right out for me as neither the Home or Pro version allows one to completely turn off auto updating or reject updates (particularly useful when one doesn't use features or hardware updates are targeted for).  To get the Enterprivse version (the only one which will allow you full control over updating like all versions of 7 and 8.1 currently allow), you must be a company that is registered with MS's Software Assurance Programme.

Microsoft, as always lacking any foresight. I was reading an article several days ago about several ways to stop Windows' 10 auto updating. One of them included turning off the service.

I am sure that we will see, if it isn't available already, an applet to help with this. So much for Microsoft's douchebag behavior, it always gets owned.

Post edited by nDelphi on
  • nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,850
    edited July 2015

Delete!

Post edited by nDelphi on
    nDelphi said:
    kyoto kid said:

Microsoft, as always lacking any foresight. I was reading an article several days ago about several ways to stop Windows' 10 auto updating. One of them included turning off the service.

I am sure that we will see, if it isn't available already, an applet to help with this. So much for Microsoft's douchebag behavior, it always gets owned.

That only ensures you don't get security updates either.

RAMWolff said:

Just read a bit on line that states that you can schedule times when the updates will be installed...

In Windows 10, there are just two update options: check, download, install, and reboot automatically; and check, download, install automatically and then choose to reboot.

I imagine most folks will choose the latter.  I sure will.  It seems these two few options are just for the Home versions... the Enterprise and Pro versions offer more options.  Enterprise offers options similar to Windows 7/8/8.1

Well, I can live with that, I think. I believe the default for updating is the Slow Track (you get updates a few weeks after the Fast Trackers get them--so hopefully problems are identified and solved by the time the update reaches your machine) so maybe it will all work out. Thanks for the info.