Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,207
    edited September 2015

David - I gave your settings a try. It appears that specular halo for the porcelain is lower than default, I reduced it to 140.

Porcelain

Slepalex - yes, we do remember the "ambience is evil" chant. I very seldom use it. It does have its uses, however, mainly for glowing things like fire, or a smart phone display - or to approximate effects Bryce cannot do yet, as David suggests. As for the porcelain, it depends how thick it is. It's an effect of shining through and that happens only if it is quite thin. From my point of view, your still life is perfect.

porcelain.jpg
    800 x 500 - 28K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited September 2015
    Horo said:

David - I gave your settings a try. It appears that specular halo for the porcelain is lower than default, I reduced it to 140.

Yes sorry, I forgot to mention that setting.  But you figured it out.  As you say it is dependant on how thick/think you expect the material to be.  The stuff I googled was mostly the thinnest variety it seems.

Spec_halo1.jpg
    668 x 530 - 128K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • Это вторая версия моей натюрморта. Я надеюсь, что фарфор стал намного "легче"? :-)

Horo said:

Slepalex - yes, we do remember the "ambience is evil" chant. I very seldom use it. It does have its uses, however, mainly for glowing things like fire, or a smart phone display - or to approximate effects Bryce cannot do yet, as David suggests. As for the porcelain, it depends how thick it is. It's an effect of shining through and that happens only if it is quite thin. From my point of view, your still life is perfect.

Horo, I understand that in this way you can visualize high quality porcelain and other materials. Make Normal Still Life with 20 objects with shadows and penumbra with 3 or 4 light sources in Bryce. I have not seen such still-lifes!

Мне нравятся оба варианта. :)

• launoklaunok Posts: 792

Just a simple render of a Ventriloquest doll I made today.  I got the head (freebie) online and the body/clothing part (no head) at Google Sketchup Warehouse and tried in Bryce to add the two objects together.  Unfortunately the body part only the legs and hands can be moved away from the torso.  The arms are fixed to the body and can't be moved unless I try it in Hexagon. But I only tried a sit position today for starters.  The head is fixed and currently I can't do facial morphs, etc.

The character is Genesis 1 which I have posed beforehand in Daz Studio more or less for a position to hold the puppet but not great pose!

Laura

GENESIS 1 WITH VENTRILOQUEST DOLL 1.JPG
    1356 x 765 - 169K
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,780
    edited September 2015

@mermaid010: No need to feel a bit less than very intelligent; everybody has these kinds of moments. At least, I know I often have them!

@vivien: Thanks.

@Slepalex: Very good still life again. I think your second porcelain is indeed a bit better, although I thought the first one was very good too. The only thing that is not up to the same quality, I feel, is the curtain, which does not look very realistic to me.

@David Brinnen: I'm not so sure your porcelain works better than the (second) one made by Slepalex. But it is very good to keep experimenting, because we all learn so much from your work!

I experimented a bit more with volumetric texture on a terrain. It is on the second terrain, which is the same as the (greenish) first one, but a bit higher resolution, more noice and some additional erosion. I also used a volumetric terrain on a second set of leaves for the tree. I did not aim for a highly unrealistic effect, but I got it anyway. Nevertheless, I somehow like it. (those who have seen my paintings at DeviantArt will understand that high realism is not really my thing anyway). Anyway, it is a very colourfull terrain, I think!

mountaintexture1.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 1017K
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • Hansmar, well my view is that the artist has the final call on if his vision is achieved.  And I don't question that Alexy has not achieved the aim.  It is the small experiments that interest me, since I don't have the patence to build such complex scenes.  And I think you know this as you are also experimenting with something interesting, volumes and terrains do not really play well together, but there is always a chance that you might uncover some way to make it work for you.  The results so far are more interesting than they are pretty though that does not mean you should be discouraged.

Launok, well done, yes it can be a bit of a pain moving things from one piece of software to another, recently working on a scene which brought terrains and spheres from Bryce, models from DS, models made in Wings3D, all into Modo and exporting to UV layout for mapping, then back to Modo for assembly and adjustments, while using Bryce, PixPlant and Genetica to make some textures, then all shuffled over to Octane for final rendering, I eventually feel by the time all this is managed it is like more work than it really is because every time software is switched, controls and shortcuts change.  Probably explains why for fun I tend to focus on doing everything in Bryce and only with a few elements.

Hansmar, well my view is that the artist has the final call on if his vision is achieved.  And I don't question that Alexy has not achieved the aim.  It is the small experiments that interest me, since I don't have the patence to build such complex scenes.  And I think you know this as you are also experimenting with something interesting, volumes and terrains do not really play well together, but there is always a chance that you might uncover some way to make it work for you.  The results so far are more interesting than they are pretty though that does not mean you should be discouraged.

I fully agree. Exprimenting is fun and perhaps it leads to something useful. If not, no problem, it is worth trying anyway.

launok - nice try. It's not always easy to get models from the Internet working. There are some in good quality and some in not so good quality.

Hansmar - tree and terrain came out nice.

edited September 2015

Launok, well done, yes it can be a bit of a pain moving things from one piece of software to another, recently working on a scene which brought terrains and spheres from Bryce, models from DS, models made in Wings3D, all into Modo and exporting to UV layout for mapping, then back to Modo for assembly and adjustments, while using Bryce, PixPlant and Genetica to make some textures, then all shuffled over to Octane for final rendering, I eventually feel by the time all this is managed it is like more work than it really is because every time software is switched, controls and shortcuts change.  Probably explains why for fun I tend to focus on doing everything in Bryce and only with a few elements.

Wow, David, that seems a great deal of work the way you did it and with my bad luck at times Bryce seems to crash as was the case with the model shown here.  Again a character from Sketchup Warehouse.  The "Ben" character I've initially tried for the ventriloquest puppet but struggled quite in Daz Studio with body, especially the fingers as every part of the body are separate shapes and confused me as body parts only appear in the Daz scene as 'shape' and not which part, i.e. hand, eye, etc.  I have too little experience with this kind of thing and needs to practice much more on changing and morphs on existing models.  Although I have asked at Daz Studio forum for help I am still waiting for a reply. Or I must try making my own figure from scratch in Hexagon, etc. but am looking at videos on learning. :)

Laura

BEN 1.JPG
    1360 x 768 - 161K
    BEN 2.JPG
    1360 x 768 - 183K
    BEN 3.JPG
    1360 x 768 - 113K
    BEN TRY.PNG
    1360 x 768 - 271K
    Post edited by launok on
  • launok said:

Wow, David, that seems a great deal of work the way you did it and with my bad luck at times Bryce seems to crash as was the case with the model shown here.  Again a character from Sketchup Warehouse.  The "Ben" character I've initially tried for the ventriloquest puppet but struggled quite in Daz Studio with body, especially the fingers as every part of the body are separate shapes and confused me as body parts only appear in the Daz scene as 'shape' and not which part, i.e. hand, eye, etc.  I have too little experience with this kind of thing and needs to practice much more on changing and morphs on existing models.  Although I have asked at Daz Studio forum for help I am still waiting for a reply. Or I must try making my own figure from scratch in Hexagon, etc. but am looking at videos on learning. :)

Laura

The bridge for me from DS to Bryce is not always the most trust worthy, often I exporting as .obj the safer approach and then importing into Bryce.  The bridge in the other direction seems even more tempremental.

edited September 2015
    launok said:

The bridge for me from DS to Bryce is not always the most trust worthy, often I exporting as .obj the safer approach and then importing into Bryce.  The bridge in the other direction seems even more tempremental.

David, I have noticed this too when using the bridge especially on textures, some work, others not.  And I have also noticed when you have added a Daz Studio shader, i.e. furs, velvets, etc. it doesn't show up in Bryce.  Could it be the fact that when using shaders in DS itself, one can only see the effect only when rendering in Daz?  This is such a pity as I have tons of shaders for DS which obviously won't show up in Bryce as I understand it.  I use Bryce mainly for renders and DS only for preparing the characters to add clothing, morphs, poses, props, etc. I have never made a scene in DS.

A funny thing also happended at first, with the first render of the ventriloquest doll above.  Genesis and the doll on his lap and the one sitting worked perfectly.  But when I have added the 3rd doll standing the body part textures were perfect, but the head had no textures thus only grey!!  I only got it to work eventually when I have added another extra head of the doll to the scene by itself.  Off course this extra head also turned grey!  But at the same time when the  extra grey head appeared in the scene, the doll standing's head got suddenly back the original textures!  I have then deleted the extra grey head from the scene and standing doll kept the textures as should!  Luckilly the head didn't turned grey again as before.  Is this normal behaviour?  I can also remember some years back when I have a few Victoria characters in the same scene who originally all had their own hair styles in DS, suddenly some (not all) of the characters lost their hair completely when importing into Bryce scene.  Too many characters and textures together? Could this cause such problems?

Post edited by launok on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,083

David- the porcelain mat looks cool.

Slepalex – the 2nd render is also beautiful

Horo- nice results with the porcelain.

Launok – nice render

Hansmar – I like your render, looks like a painting except for the sky.

Two landscapes using Horo’s GascloudsA1 and GasClouds+FlamesA1 Hdris

exotic03.jpg
    600 x 600 - 44K
    exotic11.jpg
    1105 x 850 - 92K
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 852
    edited September 2015

@All: Wonderful pictures here.

A yoga position. The buddha is from www.artist-3d.com, the artist is not mentioned. 

I wonder if it is possible to get darker shadows of the woman at the wall? Any ideas are highly appreciated.

yogapose.jpg
    800 x 800 - 43K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • vivienvivien Posts: 184

Slepalex - Beautiful still life.   Texture and lighting are just perfect, specially the 2nd one

David - Another brilliant sky scene..... And I like the porcelain sphere

Horo - Your porcelain looks really  good..... Very convincing  It's interesting to see three masters like yourself, David and Slepalex try to unlock the makings of the perfect porcelain texture..... And because I don't understand much about ambience and lighting and so on.... I'll wait for the tutorial

Launok - Great project you have going there.... Would love to see the finished product.

Hansmar - Good to see you continuing with your experiment

mermaid - Beautiful looking scenes..... I really like the 2nd one.

Electro-Elvis -  If it was me, I wouldn't change the shadow, I don't think the candles would make enough light for a darker shadow..... I think it's great just like this.

Electro-Elvis - I agree with Vivien the render is awesome, you don't need darker shadows.

Vivien - Thanks

Mermaid - thank you. Two great renders from you, the second one is outstanding.

Electro-Elvis - beautiful peaceful scene. I don't know what's wrong with the shadow on the wall behind the lady, it looks natural to me.

Vivien - thank you. Well, I took David's screenshots as my tutorial and all I did was copy what he's already done, even using the same HDRI.

Horo- Thanks

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited September 2015

More and more great renders from everyone... Yay... Love looking even if I haven't been posting much recently. I'm mostly been working on this season's Peter The Polar Bear stuff which this year includes wrapping paper and freezer magnets... Pictures to follow soon.

This is really just my excuse to show my series of Super Moon Lunar Eclipse photos from the other night.

Though I really am having some prints done to be framed like this now as a few people have asked for them.

jpg
    jpg
    Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    1056 x 542 - 151K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited October 2015

Dave - you were more lucky than I. We had an overcast night.

Twice an Icosahedron. The pink one has the HDRI in it. It is partly transparent and a bit reflective. Specularity was boosted with a PHT.

The silvery one is completely black with a bit of reflection. The specular is from the HDRI, PHT boosted and the blue lines from specular by the sun.

Pink Iscosahedron

Silver Icosahedron

PinkIcosahedron.jpg
    800 x 800 - 118K
    SilverIcosahedron.jpg
    800 x 800 - 57K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

We had a beautiful moon, and a lovely view from up here,  but I went to bed at 1:00am and so missed the colourful part.

Dave- beautiful images, I missed it too.

Horo - beautiful stills

edited October 2015

Mermaid - thank you.

Here's a sunset scene. Though it is very simple with just 10 items in total, it kept me busy for more than a day.

Foehn Mood

FoehnMood.jpg
    800 x 500 - 80K
    Post edited by Horo on

Horo – Lovely sunset.

This kept me busy too, my attempt at making a stormy sea. It’s fiddly to setup and after many attempts I like this result.

w16.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 90K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,058

My latest play. DAZ Studio figures and one of my own pictures for the background.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,058

Horo

Nice sunset.

mermaid010

The rough sea has worked out well.

@Horo: Wow, amazing. Really strong seascape with fantastic colours.

@mermaid010: The stormy sea looks very good! You might have ensured a little more light on the very dark shadowy parts of the rocks, though.

@Fishtales: Nice scene. The render is a bit dark though.

I went for another quicky abstract. Just some primitives, a strange landscape and a HDRI background. The reflections are quite suggestive things to see, I think. I call it 'Eruption'

eruption.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 448K
    edited October 2015

edited October 2015

Oh man, now there are two! Sorry for that. I just don't know what happened. And why do I not see an option 'delete' under the options? (At first it had the text too, but I deleted that via 'Edit')

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    launok said:

David, I have noticed this too when using the bridge especially on textures, some work, others not.  And I have also noticed when you have added a Daz Studio shader, i.e. furs, velvets, etc. it doesn't show up in Bryce.  Could it be the fact that when using shaders in DS itself, one can only see the effect only when rendering in Daz?  ...

Correct. DS procedural shaders do not work in Bryce, nor do Bryce procedural shaders work in DS, as each piece of software was designed in a completely different and incompatible manner, originally by completely different companies and development teams.  If an object has an image file mapped to it's surface, that can be shared between the two applications.  Bryce can also attempt to bake an image onto an object like a terrain when exporting it, although it won't be identical to what you se in Bryce.  Basic colors go from DS to Bryce also, although some things don't work for example you might have to mess around with the transparency settings after transferring, maybe other stuff I forget offhand.

launok said:

...A funny thing also happended at first, with the first render of the ventriloquest doll above.  Genesis and the doll on his lap and the one sitting worked perfectly.  But when I have added the 3rd doll standing the body part textures were perfect, but the head had no textures thus only grey!!  I only got it to work eventually when I have added another extra head of the doll to the scene by itself.  Off course this extra head also turned grey!  But at the same time when the  extra grey head appeared in the scene, the doll standing's head got suddenly back the original textures!  I have then deleted the extra grey head from the scene and standing doll kept the textures as should!  Luckilly the head didn't turned grey again as before.  Is this normal behaviour? I can also remember some years back when I have a few Victoria characters in the same scene who originally all had their own hair styles in DS, suddenly some (not all) of the characters lost their hair completely when importing into Bryce scene.  Too many characters and textures together? Could this cause such problems?

Definitely not normal.  I don't know what would have caused this offhand.  One thing to consider is Bryce's limited memory.  If you exceed that, Bad Things(tm) can happen, although I have no idea if this is one of those things or not. If you hare having trouble with the bridge and you suspect this is the cause, a nice quick test is to try restarting Bryce then sending only a single object into an emtpy scene to see if it works when more memory is available (ie, the rest of your scene isn't or wasn't in memory).  Think of it like Bryce is a glass, the bridge from DS is pouring water into the glass.  If you pour 3/4 of glass of water from the pitcher into the cup, if it's empty it will work fine.  If you already have half a glass full and you do this, it won't fit and water will get all over the table and make a mess.  You need to know how full your Bryce cup is, and how much you are going to add to it. :-)  It could just be a bug somewhere too.  And perhaps it could be as simple as accidentally changing a setting... I often mis-mouse something, or apply a material to the wrong item because things are close together or similarly named, and while I no longer recall the details there was some case (maybe when multiple items are grouped?) where you can select a material, make no changes and go back out of the material lab, but that will change one of the materials.  maybe it swapped the material between the group and one or more items in the group?  can't remember, but I know I've done it to myself a number of times and had to undo if I noticed right away, re-apply a material if it was too late to undo, or revert to an older saved version or something.

For the characters loosing their hair, remember you can parent items (like hair) to a figure, or you can keep them unparented and fit them to a figure, and you can put the hair and the figure in a group, but these various methods of attaching one item to another don't all translate from DS to Bryce.  I can't double-check at the moment, but I'm thinking perhaps if you send a figure to Bryce, it also sends any parented items, but not the fit-to items that are unparented, and I think groups and instances simply don't work at all?  If that is correct, then perhaps you simply need to parent the hair before sending the figure, or send the hair as a second item later or something.

This discussion has been closed.