Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,058

c-ram

Great render, you will have a hard time improving on that.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859

@ c-ram - very nice render, congrats smiley

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,207

Tim - thank you.

c-ram - another absolutely incredible render of yours. 

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited September 2015

There was me thinking that the forum had been unusually quiet, but it turns out that for whatever reason, it had just decided to stop sending me emails on topic updates.  Who knows why?  Well probably something broke.  Or I broke something.  For all their adherance to logic computers can be a bit random.

So anyway, you might not be surprised to learn I'm still faffing around with sea.  This time I've "borrowed" and modified one of Horo's scenes and combined it with some of my own effects.  So the aim here was to re-create the effect of sunshine and rain.  A hypertexture is used to boost the rain response over the top to make the streaks more distinct in the sunlight.

I also would like to pause to admire C-ram's artworks, and if you've not seen it already, go back a page and take a look.

Ex_rain+sea1.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 550K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,083

Vivien – thanks

Horo – awesome render, especially love the lighting

C-ram – another outstanding render, love it.

David – wow, you have sun rays and rain, the water is just awesome, beautiful render.

edited September 2015

Thank you Mermaid!  Here's a sunset sky based on Vivien's images of the burning sky poster a couple of pages ago.

Orange_cloud1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 312K

David- love the clouds.

A render using your Road on a Terrain tutorial http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials/roads-on-a-terrain.html  and the Simplon Hdri as a backdrop.

The tricky part was trying to get the terrain material to match the backdrop which I only succeeded partially. The road is not very convincing but it was a nice workout playing in the DTE.

roadonterrain-simplon.jpg
    600 x 600 - 31K
  • c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    @Fishtales, Tim82, Horo, David and Mermaid : thank you all for your great comments, it's important to me to share with you my work here in this forum like you share your nice renders too. David : your sea scene with the sun and the rain is fantastic. Mermaid : nice road on the terrain.
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Here's a sunset sky based on Vivien's images of the burning sky poster a couple of pages ago.

Really nice sunset there!

edited September 2015

Thank you for the kind comments on the sunset.  I've tinkered with it some more.

Well done Mermaid on getting that road on the terrain, that's a really tricky/fiddly thing to setup, advacned DTE stuff!

Ex_bonus1.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 422K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

David,  I love what you are doing.   Saw this photo today, 2nd photo in the series, and wondered if you could suggest a way of doing a sky like that.

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited September 2015

What a great sunset image David - reminds me of sunsets in Jamica.  Well done!

Post edited by Dan Whiteside on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,780
    edited September 2015

@mermaid010: Nice fruit selection you made. Grapes and plums look very good. The texture of the others is a bit 'flat'. But keep going and your fruits will be as beautiful as those of Slepalex (may take a while, though :)) I think the road on terrain really looks good.

@Horo: Very nice mountain view. Colours in the foreground are wonderful.

@c-ram: Wonderful! Really realistic look. Must have been a lot of work!

@David Brinnen: Fantastic rain-sun-sea render! The first sunset clouds look rather blurry to me. The second one (with sea) is very nice; a bit threatening looking.

I had another go at my 'moors terrain' (with a volumetric texture on one of the two terrains). I added a lot of  (special) trees and a number of smaller plants (made from premades in Plant Studio) via instancing. Rocks are from Estevez and sky is made via David's one-texture technique. The bird is from the set I mentioned several times before. The rabbits (daring animals, to be so close to this bird of prey!) are from http://www.lynescreations.com/.

field5.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 934K
    Post edited by Hansmar on

C-ram - Thanks

David - Thanks. The Sunset with the sea is awesome.

Hansmar - Thanks, I like your "Moors" renders. How do you apply a volumetric texture to a terrain? I have been trying to do so from the time you posted the 1st Moor render.

David - backlit rain looks great. Nice cloud renders, the second is excellent.

Mermaid - that road came out quite nice. The terrain matches the backdrop excellently.

Hansmar - nice moor terrain render, good use of Angel's rocks.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,058
    edited September 2015

David

I knew your image reminded me of something.

Crail, Fife, Scotland March 2005 smiley

clouds_05_mar_crail_001_V02.jpg
    792 x 594 - 413K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
    edited September 2015

Here's another one, from end of October 2000, just out of the window.

Oct2000

Oct2000.jpg
    800 x 517 - 53K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,780

@mermaid010: My thanks. A terrain is like any other object, I guess, but it probably has to be solid for use of volumetrics. Then you just play and do a lot of trial and error until you have got what you want. I attach the pictures of my settings. Mind you there are two terrains. Only the higher one (also higher resolution and somewhat more general and height noise) has volumetrics. The other is simple surface.

@Horo: Thanks. That sky is exactly like David's render! Well done to make such a photo after the fact wink

@Fishtales: Fantastic sky! That would be a nice one to remake in Bryce!

Volumetric terrain1.JPG
    680 x 578 - 54K
    Voumetric terrain 2.JPG
    949 x 534 - 62K
  • vivienvivien Posts: 184

Horo - Love the colors of the three terrains and the nebula sky. Very nice render

c-ram - Absolutely beautiful renders.... So life like it is hard to tell it is not a photo

David - Great work on the rain and sun render. I like the way the rain seems to impact on the water. As for the bushfire clouds.... As soon as I saw it, it sent a shiver up my spine.... You managed to duplicate the thickness and the color fabulously.  And love the sunset clouds on the third image.

Mermaid - Very good work on the road. Must watch the tutorial.

Hansmar -  The moors are looking very nice. Specially with the addition of the rocks

Fishtales and Horo....  Great looking skies.

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited September 2015

C-RAM, another magnificent scenery from you!
    David Brinnen, very inspired by your experiments with water and clouds!

Here's another still life.

One of the objectives was to portray realistic white porcelain. In order to be visible glare and reflections, I made the color of porcelain, about 85% white, that with appropriate lighting had a positive effect.

Vase with fruit.

Bryce 7 Pro. Render Normal AA.
    Lighting: Dome Light and Spotlight with soft shadows.
    Modeling: Bryce, Wings. All textures are procedural.

Ваза с фруктами.jpg
    858 x 1050 - 279K
    Post edited by Slepalex on

Horo - Thanks

Hansmar - Thanks, I feel so stupid now - David mentions in all his tutorials with terrains to make them "solid". Something I will not forget now. blush Thanks for the screenshots.

Vivien - Thanks

Slepalex - Wow breathtaking,  absolutely beautiful.

• Chohole said:

David,  I love what you are doing.   Saw this photo today, 2nd photo in the series, and wondered if you could suggest a way of doing a sky like that.

Well, I've had a go at replicating this too, but it was not so easy.  As you didn't include the image I've supplied it here along with my attempt at the sky.

Thanks for all those the kind remarks about my sky.

Alexy has done a great job with all those fruit skins, the porcelain to me looks a little "heavy" I think I would try to use refractive reflection and maybe some small amount of ambience to give the illusion that some light was getting through the material.

Hansmar, an interesting scene, the rocks and the trees in the background have darker shadows that the ground and the foreground lack which seems a tad incongrouous.

Image1.jpg
    800 x 450 - 159K
    Choholes_sky1.jpg
    800 x 450 - 178K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Hey, that's pretty good, I shall have to have a go, if I ever get the time.  A moderators work is never done it seems nowadays.

edited September 2015

Decided to have a go at porcelain.  There's the render, the render option, the HDRI used and how it is setup, the light source (obscure) which is called "Background", how it is setup and what its material is, then the sun setup and finally the materail setup for the porcelain itself (global ambient is set to the default).

Porcelain.jpg
    600 x 600 - 113K
    Image8.jpg
    705 x 413 - 129K
    Image6.jpg
    654 x 616 - 181K
    Image3.jpg
    748 x 516 - 209K
    Image4.jpg
    728 x 564 - 150K
    Image5.jpg
    669 x 525 - 130K
    Image7.jpg
    656 x 568 - 172K
    Image2.jpg
    692 x 550 - 131K
  • Chohole said:

Alexy has done a great job with all those fruit skins, the porcelain to me looks a little "heavy" I think I would try to use refractive reflection and maybe some small amount of ambience to give the illusion that some light was getting through the material.

David, thank you for the constructive proposal. I got rid of a few years on the advice of Rashad "ambience" in materials. Now, I did Diffuse = 95% white and Ambience = 5% white. Also I increased the Sphere Dome Light twice and place it behind the camera. Previously, he was a little to the left. This source simulates the scattered light from the window.
    After rendering I'll post the result here.

• Slepalex said:
    Chohole said:

David, thank you for the constructive proposal. I got rid of a few years on the advice of Rashad "ambience" in materials. Now, I did Diffuse = 95% white and Ambience = 5% white. Also I increased the Sphere Dome Light twice and place it behind the camera. Previously, he was a little to the left. This source simulates the scattered light from the window.

The original role of Ambience was to compensate for light arriving from the environment.  Given faster computers and more complex lighting arrangments Ambience for this reason is no longer needed.  In the case of porcelain, what I hoped to achieve was the illusion of light that had scattered within the surface of the material and then found its way back out again, as a subsitute for SSS which occurs somewhat in dense material in a way that resembles marble.

I look forwards to seeing the result of your new setup.

• Decided to have a go at porcelain.  There's the render, the render option, the HDRI used and how it is setup, the light source (obscure) which is called "Background", how it is setup and what its material is, then the sun setup and finally the materail setup for the porcelain itself (global ambient is set to the default).

David, I tried this method many times for your lessons. It is good for a single object. But how to do it in a still life with a variety of objects? How to apply HDRI closed space (room)? In addition, the use of TA requires a lot of time to render. In addition, the existing lighting in the case of TA should be completely redone.
    The screenshots have a view of the scene from the top and director's view. This low poly room I did in Wings specifically for reflection. It is 1,000 times "lighter" than the HDRI map. My file "weighs" only 4.64 MB.  In the scene there are 4 of the light source. Two Spotlight with 100% soft shadows, one Square Dome Light (Illusion GI) and one Sphere Dome Light (imitation of the scattered light from the window). The sun is turned off. This is a classic lighting scheme for the still life. How to achieve this lighting TA and HDRI? This is no easy task!

Буфер обмена01.jpg
    657 x 610 - 62K
    Буфер обмена02.jpg
    700 x 602 - 30K
  • Slepalex said:

Decided to have a go at porcelain.  There's the render, the render option, the HDRI used and how it is setup, the light source (obscure) which is called "Background", how it is setup and what its material is, then the sun setup and finally the materail setup for the porcelain itself (global ambient is set to the default).

David, I tried this method many times for your lessons. It is good for a single object. But how to do it in a still life with a variety of objects? How to apply HDRI closed space (room)? In addition, the use of TA requires a lot of time to render. In addition, the existing lighting in the case of TA should be completely redone.
    The screenshots have a view of the scene from the top and director's view. This low poly room I did in Wings specifically for reflection. It is 1,000 times "lighter" than the HDRI map. My file "weighs" only 4.64 MB.  In the scene there are 4 of the light source. Two Spotlight with 100% soft shadows, one Square Dome Light (Illusion GI) and one Sphere Dome Light (imitation of the scattered light from the window). The sun is turned off. This is a classic lighting scheme for the still life. How to achieve this lighting TA and HDRI? This is no easy task!

Yes.  As far as lighting is concerned the HDRI is not really necessary.  A gel light or light "sheet" gel light would provide that.  But for reflections the HDRI adds a lot of realism because under most circumstances it is difficult to generate a bright enough object to represent a light source in a reflection.  This could be overcome with a hypertexture driven "light" - but it is not really an emmitting light, just something to provide a reflection of something that is supposed to be emitting light over 100 brightness in the scene.  And then a light source placed near that "light" to explain the brightness.  For example, a hypertexture driven sphere could be placed outside your model to provide bright hilights of the windows on reflective surfaces.  Or a Bryce sky made low res HDRI could be used and added to the existing Bryce sky to obtain a similar effect.  That helps with the reflection issue.  For internal lighting either dome lighting or TA is good for generating lighting ambience.  But direct lighting does not play so well with the transparency trick used to create the grazing angle refletion of the material which was, asside from the effect of scattering, one of the main things I was aiming for.  The method as you say though, might not be scaleable to more complex scenes that simple objects.

• Slepalex said:
    Chohole said:

In principle, the existing lighting could make Diffuse 100% white. The objective was that the material was not overexposed, that "to read" glare and reflections on the material.

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited September 2015

This is the second version of my still life. I hope that porcelain has become much "lighter"? :-)

Ваза с фруктами2.jpg
    768 x 960 - 254K
    Post edited by Slepalex on
This discussion has been closed.