AUGUST New Users Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    I really like that one bluemoon. I don't personally see much room for improvement

Thank you Frank0314 and thank you to Jaderail, I used your tutorial on light gels in an earlier thread. I would put a link to it if I knew how to.

• TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited August 2012

Ilena52 said:
    I hope result to sasje advice is good and here is the final render without any additional work in CS5.

Perhaps just a bit of a crop? Like this somewhat. Remove large part of the bare hill, and leave the best.

Personally I would go into the materials settings on the left knee stocking fabric and adjust the reflection properties to tone down that specular reflect.. it gives a tiny impression of skin poking through.

Default settings for reflection type is often "plastic" which can give a very hard specular "bump" on small areas, often folds. Sometimes just setting to matte on will remove this... and if you screw up the settings the fix is "load a new stocking" so pretty reversable.

I like where you went with this.

settin.jpg
    458 x 290 - 34K
    DAZ.jpg
    677 x 495 - 105K
    Post edited by Teofa on
  • ExtremeAlphaExtremeAlpha Posts: 82
    edited December 1969

Protecting his fallen rider

This is my second attempt at DOF. It is a work in progress. The angle is off. This time no Photoshop. All rendering is in DAZ Studio. It still needs tweaking. Any and all input is welcomed.

Protecting_his_fallen_rider_4.png
    1352 x 956 - 2M
    edited August 2012

TonyCoe.. your farthest wall is still in focus.

Here is what I did to understand better. From camera view in tab, set up your camera. Then.. go to Perspective view. Pan this to see your scene area from a 90 degree vantage.

from there, open your cam and lighting pane and choose your camera. You should see a wire frame that shows you how your adjustments are working.

(none of this kicked in for me till I realized I was doing the same thing I did with my old Spotmatic F in the 70s, by other means)

camcontro2l.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 302K
    Post edited by Teofa on
    edited August 2012

TonyCoe, I did an example from my stock tut scene so it is the same environment. First image shows my DOF adjustment. Second shows how it looks in render from camera view. Notice how only the central chars are in sharp focus and the farthest cathedral walls have lost definition.

It isn't really "blurring", but a progressive loss of sharpness away from the focal point as a mimic of what our peripheral vision does when we focus on something with our eyes.

dof_example.jpg
    842 x 595 - 80K
    dof_adjust.jpg
    1000 x 518 - 208K
    Post edited by Teofa on
    edited August 2012

TonyCoe said:
    This is my first attempt with DOF rendering. I must admit that I used Photoshop and added two alpha channel layers using the lens blur filter and another layer using motion blur filter to get the final effect. The bottom image is the untouched render.

this could be a fun image.. change the camera view a bit, put a very tight focus on the drivers face, equip him with a silly grin 'expression", gripped knuckles, etc re the joys of driving. Change the effect of the image to show the 'act" of driving rather than the illusion of movement.

just a thought

Post edited by Teofa on
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:
    I hope result to sasje advice is good and here is the final render without any additional work in CS5.

Yes this is better, Good work :-)
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Nice work Standfast.

Here's a slightly re-worked version of my ATAT scene from earlier in the thread. I added grass, and changed the angle of the sunlight. No postwork except to convert to .jpg

ATAT-Attack-DOF03.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 677K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,385
    edited December 1969

Nicely done

• IlenaIlena Posts: 280
    edited December 1969

I'll try to follow up evil producers tip. As Jaderrain said more info is needed. When it comes to light and shadow there are always dreamlight videos that can help to get the general sense of it. but more in depth approach...Also I've made another image with the same concept but changed the clothes and the light to see if would look different. Also there is one with changed outfit and with postwork done in photoshop.

Maybe_sent_for_challenge.jpg
    796 x 500 - 437K
    Another_version.jpg
    890 x 500 - 419K
    edited August 2012

Ilena52 said:
    I'll try to follow up evil producers tip. As Jaderrain said more info is needed. When it comes to light and shadow there are always dreamlight videos that can help to get the general sense of it. but more in depth approach...Also I've made another image with the same concept but changed the clothes and the light to see if would look different. Also there is one with changed outfit and with postwork done in photoshop.

I think the main light you used in the first image you posted was fine. I was trying to suggest a way to lighten the harsh shadows without making them look flat. A nice trick, is to look at the direction that your main light is pointing. Place another light opposite your main light, so that the model that's supposed to receive the bounced light is between the main light and the second light. Aim the second light back towards the main light. In the case of your image, the bounce light should be between the woman and the embankment. I would make the light a grey/green color with an intensity of 20% to start with. Don't use soft shadows oin the bounced light for now.

Edited to add that this takes practice and the main focus of this contest is the DOF. If you find it difficult to get the lighting for this image, don't sweat it. The point is to have fun.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • IlenaIlena Posts: 280
    edited December 1969

Okay, it's good to know the point of this contest ( which is DOF ) has been achieved. :)

edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:
    Okay, it's good to know the point of this contest ( which is DOF ) has been achieved. :)

...And to have fun! :-)

edited December 1969

Could I have permission to switch my 2nd entry? the scene is the same but I found new boots and did a camo pattern thing on her pants.

If not, I understand.

edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:

Yay, you entered. :)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

standfast said:
    Could I have permission to switch my 2nd entry? the scene is the same but I found new boots and did a camo pattern thing on her pants.

If not, I understand.

Let me get with the rest of the Team on this one Standfast. I'm just running the contest, the rules are pretty standard from month to month. I'm sure it will be fine I just wish to make sure.
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

standfast said:

If not, I understand.

I see no reason why not. simply remove the older image and post the newer one.
    edited December 1969

Well there you go Standfast. I dont Argue with the nice lady with the big stick. %-P

edited December 1969

Ok, thanks. Now though, I need to mess with a new project, cause If I keep fussing with this image Ill eventually ruin it :)

She_Has_My_Back.jpg
    530 x 716 - 232K
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

This really came out nice steadfast. I like the lighting, the shadows, the DOF. All looks really good. ;-)

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Well, I just finished reading through this thread again and realized that there were some things I either missed or misinterpreted the first time around! I'll make another attempt at mine tonight if I have time. Everyone else is doing a great job! Keep 'em coming! :-)

edited December 1969

What do you think you have missed if I may ask?

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Well, for starters I completely missed the link to this page: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/camera/camera_dof

And while I didn't miss these posts, viewing them in succession gives a fuller context that helps me make sense of them:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5084/#64218
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5084/P45/#65858 (and the post immediately after it, too)
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5084/P60/#66500

That sequence of posts helped me understand the difference between the forward DOF plane and the point of sharpness (I already knew about that, but now I see that somehow I did it wrong anyway).

And this was something else I thought I understood at the time, but understand better now:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5084/P15/#64402

And then there was evilproducer's lighting tips, which I intentionally passed on at first, since I could tell that it was more complex than my brain was capable of handling at that point in time. ;-P Good stuff, though: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5084/P135/#72823

Thanks again, everyone, for all these tips and tricks! It's a lot to absorb, but judging from the entries that have been posted so far, the results speak for themselves! :)

edited August 2012

Well, I'll not argue with that. Have fun, and this is a teaching contest. I'm sure we all feel better knowing it is getting put to use.

P.S. I will add the Back light/Bounce Light Tip for DS soon. I'm just slow at doing Tut's. It's not much different at all.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Here's one I've been playing around with. Don't know if it'll go anywhere or not...

South-pacific.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
  • clarke_af31e2e15dclarke_af31e2e15d Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    This thread is intented for you to show your work as you go, and for you to get feedback and advice from others. Feel free to post your work and ask for advice and tips as you go. Feel free to ask for advice on anything, not just DOF.

Hello...my first post, and first render. In the spirit of the above, I'm not posting a submission to the contest, as this image has nothing to do with DOF, but I'd love some feedback on where to go from here.

To my eyes, all the best Daz images have really good lighting, so I'm trying to learn that first. This image is a "study" in classic three-point lighting. The pose seems a little wonky to me (a little too much shoulder), but overall I'm impressed that results like these can be had so (relatively) easily. I was planning on rewarding myself with Reality 2.2 once I learned a bit about lighting, but now I don't know...I really like the look of "photorealistic painting" this image has.

I'd appreciate any feedback you have, in particular:

- is this good lighting? Any improvements you can suggest?
    - a lot of Daz people talking about fixing things in "post", is there anything here that you would fix? I know Photoshop well, but I can't draw.
    - Seems to me the next step would be to put a model into an environment and work on lighting that. Anything else you'd suggest working on?

Thanks for looking, seems like a really nice community you have here!

firstRender.jpg
    698 x 818 - 81K
    edited August 2012

clarke said:
    Jaderail said:
    This thread is intented for you to show your work as you go, and for you to get feedback and advice from others. Feel free to post your work and ask for advice and tips as you go. Feel free to ask for advice on anything, not just DOF.

Hello...my first post, and first render. In the spirit of the above, I'm not posting a submission to the contest, as this image has nothing to do with DOF, but I'd love some feedback on where to go from here.

To my eyes, all the best Daz images have really good lighting, so I'm trying to learn that first. This image is a "study" in classic three-point lighting. The pose seems a little wonky to me (a little too much shoulder), but overall I'm impressed that results like these can be had so (relatively) easily. I was planning on rewarding myself with Reality 2.2 once I learned a bit about lighting, but now I don't know...I really like the look of "photorealistic painting" this image has.

I'd appreciate any feedback you have, in particular:

- is this good lighting? Any improvements you can suggest?
    - a lot of Daz people talking about fixing things in "post", is there anything here that you would fix? I know Photoshop well, but I can't draw.
    - Seems to me the next step would be to put a model into an environment and work on lighting that. Anything else you'd suggest working on?

Thanks for looking, seems like a really nice community you have here!

Put in in an environment, work on DoF with your portrait against that environment, and enter :). I am a very new user and it is a wonderful learning experience.

first thing I see on your portrait is not so much the shoulder.. but lack of shadow under the hair on her left cheek/ neck. I don't know a fix except fiddling a bit with the light on that side, or perhaps running a fill light with low intensity on her right and maybe boost the shadow on it a bit. Like I said, I am very new.

Post edited by Teofa on
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    This really came out nice steadfast. I like the lighting, the shadows, the DOF. All looks really good. ;-)

wow, thank you :)

• clarke_af31e2e15dclarke_af31e2e15d Posts: 21
    edited August 2012

standfast said:
    first thing I see on your portrait is not so much the shoulder.. but lack of shadow under the hair on her left cheek/ neck.

Y'know, I bet you that I left shadows off on the main light. Thanks! And I agree with Miss B...new or not, your image above looks fantastic.
    Post edited by clarke_af31e2e15d on
    edited December 1969

@clarke: I like that render lots for what it is just the way it is. Now as far as lighting tips go you might wish to go through the June Contest. It was about Lights mostly. Real good tips in it. Here is a link June Contest - Lighting. And as said before put this into an Enviroment and test out DOF. You have a great place to start from.