BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ►►►Late Summer Edition◄◄◄ Theme is ­ἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶ TREES ἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶ

Comments

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

Another great set of challenge images!

Finally got around to starting this challenge last night and just as a starting point I created an Abaro tree with all the limbs at the top. Loaded it into B7.1 added a high quality, solid color volumetric sphere around it, added a B4 sky preset and let it render overnight. I liked the result so much I'm making it my first entry.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the entries!

Best;
    Dan

tree_v_1.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 215K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Interesting effect.

And I just noticed the deadline isn't until the end of August... for some reason I thought the contest had already ended. Maybe I can still get something entered after all.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2014

Yes I changed it so that the challenges are lasting 6 weeks or so, with a gap between to get the new theme set up. Seems to go better that way.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dan: That's a neat image.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

@Dan - that's a very cool idea and really nicely done.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Dan...hauntingly nice...all that's short is Count Dracula's castle in the background ;)

Jay

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045
    edited December 1969

A bit of experimenting and trying out group instances for the trees.

Tree Houses

"Coming in for some Elfin tea?"

" I would prefer some Elfin wine."

tree-houses-001.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 365K
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,112
    edited December 1969

Great renders everyone !

This is my first one called : Crystalline Tree upside down.
    It's just a Bryce tree, tweaked a bit.

Crystalline_tree_upside_downn.jpg
    1754 x 658 - 192K
  • Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

Never having been able to leave well enough alone, I went back and fiddled around with my 2nd entry. I added a few things, namely a figure, and played with some light gels. I don't know if I hurt it or helped it, but I'm pretty much done with it now.

Trees_in_the_Forest_002.jpg
    934 x 450 - 416K
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I like it!! I think adding the figure adds some depth to the "story" you're trying to tell. I really like the way the shadows from the trees fall on the character. Nicely done.

edited December 1969

Managed to finish my second entry.
    Title : After the rain

After_the_rain.jpg
    987 x 493 - 136K
    edited December 1969

@Sandy - nice render with the tree houses.

@adbc - ah Bryce trees can be so nicely (ab)used. I like your Crystaline Tree very much. After the rain is a nice render. Trees and mountains look great, the rain doesn't convince me - but then, rain isn't the easiest to get looking good (not even when photographed).

@Lord Ganthor - very nice scene the way it turned out. I completely agree with Miss B that the shadow falling on the lady looks very good. It makes everything even more convincing.

edited December 1969

@horo : thanks for your comment.

After the rain : I agree there is something about that water and I don't know how to correct it.
    I wanted the effect from after the rain, the mountain looking somehow moist, the sky just clearing up, that kind of thing and of course trees.

Don't know how much time I still have but I'll try.

• Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 918
    edited December 1969

hello together,

I made my last entry for this challenge:

Caribbean dream.

Horrible Rendertime: 31 hours.

I used the golden Lighting HDRI for this, and the Palm trees in the foreground are Xfrog Trees. Rendered with Premium, soft shadows.

Caribbean_dream.jpg
    1400 x 787 - 730K
    edited December 1969

@Sandy: Interesting scene. Either huge trees or small people living in those houses.

@adbc: First image is neat looking. Love the airy feeling of the second image. My confusion with the water is whether I'm looking at a lake/pond or puddles. Love the foliage and mountains, but it should be made clearer just what type of body of water you're after.

@Lord Ganthor: Nice results with that scene. Many scenes like that stand alone without a figure, but that figure, in that location, helps create the scene.

@yellow Pen: Sky really works with the palms. Nice water also.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Sandy: Interesting scene. Either huge trees or small people living in those houses.

Yes, the perspective isn't right :roll:

It was an experiment to see if the building would fit in the tree and how it would look then I copied and pasted four more. Then I selected them, instanced them, grouped them, and painted a small forest around the original five :-) The figures I put in for foreground interest but didn't work too well :-)

An interesting thing I found, probably known to long term users, is that if you then select the whole scene, minus the camera, and then try and turn it on the 'Y' axis the originals and ground plane stay in place but the other groups and each object turn on their 'Y' axis.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

wow! some amazing renders posted recently :) ...really great work to all who have posted :)

edited December 1969

@yellow Pen - very nice palm tree scene.

edited December 1969

@GussNemo : thank you for your comment.
    Well, it's supposed to be a lake.
    What's wrong are, to me, those vertical lines in the water.
    Tried to correct that but so far I didn't succeed.

edited December 1969

Hi,
    Did get rid of those lines, and this is the result.
    Title : After the rain.

After_the_rainfinal.jpg
    987 x 493 - 135K
    edited December 1969

@adbc - definitely an improvement. The water was a bit problematic and looks fine now.

edited August 2014

Adbc...nope...prefer the first render...visually more effective (even with the lines), as the second one looks like things (fronds, plants) are floating (pun intended) in a wrong way. Given that, this situation/view is quite hard to achieve.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

@adbc, I also think eliminating the lines is also a big improvement, however I do agree with Jamahoney that it does seem as though the flower should have a reflection. I'm not sure if we just can't see it because of the angle or light color or what. (the waterlily leaves would be resting on the water surface and I would not expect them have a reflection of course.)

edited December 1969

@adbc: Comparing the water in both images, I'll go with the first image even though the water in that image is different. Without knowing how you created that water, I would have chosen one of the preset waters and either used the transformation tools or DTE to change the surface look. I would also have played around with transparency, reflection, and refraction until I got the results I was after. But that's just me. Regardless, it's still a nice scene.

edited December 1969

Now, I'm totally confused !

@horo : It does look good but not good enough, if I compare both : the first one looks more realistic to me
    @Jamahoney : you're probably right
    @Sean Riesh : I agree with your point of view
    @GussNemo : now, it becomes complicated....
    I did play with transparency, reflection and refraction but it made it worse, the DTE, hmm... yep I should really have a look at some tutorials about that to fully understand how it works.

Now I have to choose which one to enter the challenge with, let's go for the first version of it.

Thanks for your comments.

• ANenaStudiosANenaStudios Posts: 29
    edited December 1969

Hello I yall are well. Please see my first submission, I hope you like it. I call it "Beautiful Tree"

A'Nena

Beautiful_Tree.gif
    768 x 512 - 1M
    edited December 1969

@adbc: I've been there more than once messing with something and making it worse. While I don't know all the ins and outs of the DTE, I've discovered I don't need to in order to tweak something. Take you water and apply it to a new plane/terrain/or whatever you applied it to in your scene--use just the water. Then go into the DTE and start playing around with settings, filters, etc. until you have something you like. This is what I've done on more than one occasion and have come up with some nice looking material.

@zuridy: First, welcome to the Bryce forum. That's a nice looking scene, love the color you used for the sky.

• Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 918
    edited December 1969

thanks GussNemo and Horo, for your nice Comments :-)

edited December 1969

@GussNemo :
    I did what you suggested, it became worse before it was "acceptable".
    The reflection of the background mountains is still showing some lines but it looks more natural (to me)

This is my third, definitely last attempt (very long render)
    Still : After the rain. (The weather must have changed in the meantime !)

After_the_rain.jpg
    987 x 493 - 133K
    edited December 1969

Adbc....looks like you've 'nailed' it...very convincing.

Jay