BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ►►►Early Summer Edition◄◄◄ Theme is ­▄▀▄▀▄ STREAMS ▄▀▄▀▄

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,156
    edited June 2014

@Lord Ganthor - great render. Professionals doing 3D CG for the movie industry tell us that a scene is finished when the deadline arrives - meaning there is always something to tweak.

Post edited by Horo on
  • GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi folks;

First off, some really wonderful renders showing up in this challenge so far. The first week or so of this challenge I beat my head against the wall as I was not having much luck on a concept and the one that I did have kept crashing. But finally came up with the following and have spent the last week playing with it and rendering different versions. ( Has been a bit of a challenge as 4 grandkids moved into the house across the street from us in the last couple of weeks and they all want Grandpa to show them how to create pictures with Bryce so my work on this project has been between our visits - Kids are really intrigued by Bryce and some other programs I use for artwork )

I call this "Streams of Springtime" Rendered in Bryce, the foreground terrain I originally created as an elevation map in PSP. The animals and trees were various DAZ Studio models from over the years that I imported into Bryce. Some minor post touchup such as bad pixels done with PSP 9. Original renders saved as rather large TIF files and reduced size jpg conversion posted here.

Have a great week folks and I look forward to seeing more fabulous renders from our Bryce family here for this current challenge.

Bruce

Streams_of_Springtime_5.jpg
    1703 x 1135 - 540K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,032
    edited December 1969

More Beautiful addition to this thread.

Horo said:
    @yellow Pen - that's a very violent stream.

@Pam - very nicely done. I didn't realise what mermaid010 did and complained about the missing water: streaming light, why didn't that occur to me?

Lol for a moment, I thought I was off the topic. Actually Horo I too would like to see some water. I tried different things to make a small stream and then settled for just the streaming light.

Chohole – thanks for the tips. You mentioned you used the material from Bryce 5. Does this mean that some materials from Bryce 5 are not found in Bryce 7?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I am not certain actually, as I sort of made a booboo and installed Bryce 5 and Bryce 7 in the same folder originally, so the mat libraries got sort of confused, and Bryce 5 wouldn't work any more, so I had to sort it all out and reinstall bryce 5 and Bryce 7 into separate folders. I have them on my D drive, not my C, you see. so backing up the content to a temp folder and putting it back into 7 I have some duplications, and I am not certain which came from the 7 pro content.

• Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Lord Ganthor...love it. Can understand your frustration in when to continue or end a work. Just a suggestion, and I know you didn't ask for any, but how would skewing the camera down a little and get a reflection of the 'Fairy?' in the water - might add to the scene, as Byrce does great reflections.

Jay

That's a great suggestion, and I did try that...but it just looked sort of funny to me somehow. My guess it was because I was so used to seeing it at the other angle that I just couldn't make the jump! However, I may try to go back and give it another shot just to see how it would look anyway. If I get something worthwhile, I'll post it!

Thanks to everyone else for the kind words.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Bruce: Beautiful scene you got there. And isn't that what grandpas are for?

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,032
    edited December 1969

Chohole-last night I did a random check on the materials in Bryce 5.5 and found that there are in Bryce 7 except some are in different categories. I still have Bryce 5.5 on my old pc but did not install it on my laptop. It’s good to know that the materials are there.

Bruce - lovely scene.

• dana365dana365 Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

I wrote this and posted but the forum machine lost it so , I am reposting, if it shows back up again this is why there will be two.

Horo:
    thank you, I like the trees in "Small River", the angle ones really make it, and the light and shadow play is just great.

Yellow Pen:
    really like the sharp choppy water of "Wild river", it is something that has eluded me for some time.

timothybateman:
    really nice use of water and your positioning of foliage is great, oh and welcome to the forum, there is many helpful and talented people here, very inspirational as I am sure you have already experienced.

chohole:
    love that stained glass and light streams, must have taken a lot of time to get everything where you needed it, just beautiful. thanks for sharing how you got the effect and look. one question, how, or where do you apply a filter to a texture, do they work like Photoshop filters, as a plugin?

Lord Ganthor:
    I hope you keep working "Waterfall_Stream" but I it looks very complete to me, I really like the water coming down the rocks, and the tree is also very cool.

Bruce:
    the white water in“Streams of Springtime” is really working, may be you could share a tip or two on how you got it to work, I always struggle with white water. I know you have some very creative approaches to these things, like when you used trees or bushes for water splashes in the alien water thief image (sorry I cant remember what is was called).

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Dana it is a jpg texture, so I applied the filter in Photoshop, then reapplied the edited texture to the glass.

edited December 1969

Chohole:
    oh, that totally makes sense ,ok, thank you for the quick reply,

edited December 1969

@Bruce . that's a nice "streamy" landscape.

dana365 said:
    I wrote this and posted but the forum machine lost it so , I am reposting, if it shows back up again this is why there will be two

Thank you. And yes, I know what you mean. I have long ago resorted to write my comments in a text tool and when done, copy and paste it into this balky forum software.
    edited December 1969

Horo:
    yep, I will be doing the same from now on, a real time saver.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Bruce . that's a nice "streamy" landscape.

dana365 said:
    I wrote this and posted but the forum machine lost it so , I am reposting, if it shows back up again this is why there will be two

Thank you. And yes, I know what you mean. I have long ago resorted to write my comments in a text tool and when done, copy and paste it into this balky forum software.
    I do the same with anything other than a short comment, such as this one.
    edited June 2014

Hi folks;

Thanks for the kind comments on my latest project - Can't compete with some of the other landscapes I see here that often look photo realistic, but did want to try at least one entry into this challenge.

@Dana - As to the "white water" effects, you kind of answered your own question. Again I used Bryce Trees for the splashing water. It starts with taking a tree and lowering the Y coordinates (Scale wise) to the point the top and bottom of the tree is almost flat. Then I assign water textures (my own real noisy texture ) to the leafs and branches of the tree. Frequently I also play around with the scale and amount of leafs in the tree lab as well as if the leafs are too big, it spoils the effect of being water. Then lots of trial and error goes into placement and stretching of the X and Z coordinates to get the overall size I want and then I rotate the tree into position just sticking up out of the primary water plane. The key is to just barely having the tree sticking up out of the regular water plane.

I also save time by often making one tree like this and duplicating it and adjusting each duplicate into the correct placement. Like I said, it is frequently lots of trial and error but usually works out fairly well. I also used several trees to create the waterfalls in the background.

Hope everyone enjoying their start of Summer so far ( Bugs here are really bad right now - Can't remember the last time mosquitoes were as bad as they have been for the past week or so ) Keep on creating my friends and have a good one !!

Bruce

PS: I mentioned that my grandkids have been spending lots of one on one time with me recently playing with Bryce and creating some of their own artwork with a little help from Grandpa - One theme that several have played with is dragons and in the course of doing this, I learned that the Bryce trees can also be used as a base model for fire as well as water effects - Just wanted to pass this along.. The following is a WIP that one of my grandson's and I have been playing with.

NOT AN ENTRY FOR THIS CHALLENGE ( Sample of using a few trees for fire effects - Still needs work )

Mason_Mtn_Test_Image.jpg
    530 x 353 - 45K
    Post edited by Goshtac on
    edited December 1969

@Bruce - you've mentioned using trees for water splashes some time ago already but I forgot all about it. It's really a cool idea and the fire effect is a great bonus. I've got to play around with this idea of yours one day to get a feel.

• STKyddSTKydd Posts: 59
    edited December 1969

WOW !
    Great renders everyone.
    Really like Horo's (balloons ),jamahoney,timothy's
    Hope I can get mine done in time

• fictionalbookshelffictionalbookshelf Posts: 837
    edited December 1969

I finally got my pc back up and running properly and I'm still reinstalling all my Bryce content but I did manage to start this WIP for the contest. When it gets finished it will be entry #1 from me. Please don't laugh at it. I still have a lot to learn.

Wip_1.png
    640 x 480 - 553K
  • magicweavermagicweaver Posts: 244
    edited December 1969

Fict? laugh at you...dear god woman dont be daft thats beautiful!

edited December 1969

Now I'm blushing.

edited December 1969

fictionalromance:
    that's wonderful, great trees and I really like the individual planks.

edited December 1969

dana365 said:
    fictionalromance:
    that's wonderful, great trees and I really like the individual planks.

Thank you.

edited December 1969

Okay so I believe I have the final draft/ 1st entry done but I don't have a title (sorry)

Entry_#1_Final.png
    640 x 480 - 520K
    edited December 1969

@fictionalromance - great scene, the darker sky really brings out the mood.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

Please don't laugh at it. I still have a lot to learn.

nice looking scene :) ....and i don't think anyone here would laugh at you!

edited December 1969

@fictionalromance:

Beautiful scene there. I concur that the second render with darker sky makes for a more interesting mood. Nicely done!

Bruce

• JStryderJStryder Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Some nice entries here! This is not really up to snuff, just a little vignette with various DAZ characters, 3 Genesis, 2 Lorez characters and 3DU's Dodo. The everlasting water faucet is modeled based on an exhibit that used to be in front of "Ripley's Believe It or Not" museum in San Francisco. It was accompanied by a sign that read "The Solution To California's Water Crisis" or some such thing (there is always a "water crisis" in California) for many years. The exhibit may have been removed a while ago; don't remember seeing it recently. Cafe is from free sample scenes, JeanPierre's "Cafe." I would have liked to do more with this scene, but Bryce ran out of memory, causing me to run out of time and patience. Lots of odd things start happening when Bryce has just barely enough memory. It would be so much better as 64 bit software, sigh.

A convenient way to decimate the Genesis figures would be nice. There is one in the Daz store, but it costs $$. I've heard Meshlab can do this, does anyone know whether the texturing can be preserved using Meshlab? Losing all the texturing would >not< be convenient.

Used the 3D dome light for fill in the foreground. Premium render took many hours, I guess more than 12. Ciao!

Faucet.jpg
    1200 x 820 - 746K
  • STKyddSTKydd Posts: 59
    edited December 1969

@ fictionalromance , That looks great, textures on the bridge came out very nice

@ jstryder, I really like that image, one of the things I do when loading daz people into Bryce is select one object then hide everything else, then import another object and unhide everything, seems to me I can get more in there that way without it crashing, but once overloaded you cannot save the scene just the render.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

+1 I have to agree. No reason to laugh at that WIP render, and I have to agree about the dark sky in the final render really helping to set the mood. Very nicely done. :coolsmile:
  • JStryderJStryder Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

STKydd said:
    @ fictionalromance , That looks great, textures on the bridge came out very nice

@ jstryder, I really like that image, one of the things I do when loading daz people into Bryce is select one object then hide everything else, then import another object and unhide everything, seems to me I can get more in there that way without it crashing, but once overloaded you cannot save the scene just the render.

@STKydd, thanks for the tip! Will try next time.

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @fictionalromance - great scene, the darker sky really brings out the mood.

I agree the darker sky give it more atmosphere !!!
    It's a great render so far :)