Look at my Hair: official thread [Commercial] RELEASED!

Comments

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

Just want to say.... if you are trying to save some memory, sometimes it is a good idea to use thicker hair and less of them! For that cat for example, you may want to do that.
    One thing I personally do for animals, I make a a shorter, thicker hair coat and then a longer, thinner, and a bit less dense outer coat. Many animals have hair like this in real life anyway. :) Sometimes it is faster than a million thin hair strands. ;)

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

Just want to say.... if you are trying to save some memory, sometimes it is a good idea to use thicker hair and less of them! For that cat for example, you may want to do that.
    One thing I personally do for animals, I make a a shorter, thicker hair coat and then a longer, thinner, and a bit less dense outer coat. Many animals have hair like this in real life anyway. :) Sometimes it is faster than a million thin hair strands. ;)

Agreed 100%!

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

It isn't just about rendering times, it is also about the look. Hair I created so far doesn't really look that good as on promos, regardless of what I try.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    It isn't just about rendering times, it is also about the look. Hair I created so far doesn't really look that good as on promos, regardless of what I try.

Hi Kattey,
    What do you feel that you are lacking in quality that exists in the images you are comparing against? LAMH has a lot of settings that can effect many different results. Is your hair too thin, or not styled the way you'd like, or ...

Could you give some examples of what you're getting vs what you'd like to get?

Kendall

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Question: do people use shadowmapped lights, raytraced lights or/and uberenvironment lights?

Shadow map is much more faster than Raytraced. I never used Uber Environment that much.
    What I'm using now, and I love it, is the Point-Based Occlusion from the Scripted 3Dlight (render settings) So I don't even have to use shadows or additional lights and it looks really nice. Slower than regular lights with shadow map, but faster than Uber Environment and without noise.

• clayphdclayphd Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    Kattey said:
    Question: do people use shadowmapped lights, raytraced lights or/and uberenvironment lights?

Shadow map is much more faster than Raytraced. I never used Uber Environment that much.
    What I'm using now, and I love it, is the Point-Based Occlusion from the Scripted 3Dlight (render settings) So I don't even have to use shadows or additional lights and it looks really nice. Slower than regular lights with shadow map, but faster than Uber Environment and without noise.

How do you use the Scripted 3Dlight? I tried to look for info on it but never found anything.

edited December 1969

First worry is rendertime. To use raytracing and/or uberenvironment takes at least 40 minutes to render a simple small portrait (hair take 10% of frame) with amount of hair suggested here (120K) which, with i7 CPU and 8G of RAM should be faster, judging from other people times. I should use shadowmaps to speed up the process but I would like not to.

Second worry is that hair looks just dull. It doesn't shine, it doesn't look like hair or fur, doesn't look like anything on promos, really. I didn't find manual helpful in that respect either, sorry.

edited December 1969

clayphd said:
    Hellboy said:
    Kattey said:

How do you use the Scripted 3Dlight? I tried to look for info on it but never found anything.
    I'd second that question. This is the first time I ever hear about scripted 3Dlight.

edited December 1969

Kattey said:

Kattey would you like email me a preset that you've done that doesn't render as you expected? Maybe I can take a look at it and try myself...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,822
    edited December 1969

using the figure set up tab I rigged the fur with the milcat bones but forgot the cat!

milcatfur.gif
    800 x 800 - 7M
    edited December 1969

using the figure set up tab I rigged the fur with the milcat bones but forgot the cat!

Oh well, that's a ghost cat! :)

edited December 1969

Kattey said:

Kattey would you like email me a preset that you've done that doesn't render as you expected? Maybe I can take a look at it and try myself...

Sure, hair preset or my rendering parameters or something else?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

ooh yes, make the fur white and it would be a really good ghost cat.

edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Kattey said:

Sure, hair preset or my rendering parameters or something else?

Just the .lmh zipped file would be fine: then I'd try to render it myself and see the results.
    My email is: info_at_alessandromastronardi.com (replace _at_ with @ ).
    Thanks

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

clayphd said:
    Hellboy said:
    Kattey said:

Render Settings - Render Engine- Scripted 3Delight - Point-Based Occlusion

Then you get some render setting you can play with. Personally I just go to the Point-Based section and select:
    Hit Sides: BOTH
    Clamp: On

BTW: Claud Shading Rate: less = better/slower

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

I use Raytraced shadows with shadow bias at 0.1 average render times around 10 minutes or less.

excuse the cross eyed expression, Vicky's a bit stressed due to the season.

redhairtest2.jpg
    1356 x 1017 - 306K
  • Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

Hiya Alessandro - I have a "timid" question. Will you be having any demo videos where you talk? Being totally new to the LAMH program, I'm having a dickens of a time trying to follow your mouse as well as the explanation text.

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    Hiya Alessandro - I have a "timid" question. Will you be having any demo videos where you talk? Being totally new to the LAMH program, I'm having a dickens of a time trying to follow your mouse as well as the explanation text.

Hi Mari-Anne, you mean that you prefer videos with voice or subtitles? :)

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    I use Raytraced shadows with shadow bias at 0.1 average render times around 10 minutes or less.

Nice model Rareth!

edited December 1969

Rareth said:

Nice model Rareth!

thank you, one of the tricks I discovered if using a 3 pt. light set, is turn the intensity down, I use 2 distant lights and 1 linear pt light, the main distant light is usually set at 80% the filler distant light is around 45-50% and the linear pt light for backlight or kicker is around 35%

raytraced shadows on, shadow biat 0.1 Render Shading rate was 2 for this one..

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:

Well, if I had my druthers, I'd prefer voice.

edited December 2012

Mari-Anne said:
    Mari-Anne said:

Ok, very good because I already started preparing voice tutorials. I wanted those ready for LAMH release but unfortunately I couldn't make it in time. I think I will be able to upload the first batch of tutorial videos within the 27th...

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
    edited December 1969

here is the same cross eyed vicky rendered with the scripted 3delight settings posted by Hellboy

redhairtest3.jpg
    1356 x 1017 - 319K
    edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    Mari-Anne said:

Ok, very good because I already started preparing voice tutorials. I wanted those ready for LAMH release but unfortunately I couldn't make it in time. I think I will be able to upload the first batch of tutorial videos within the 27th...

Sounds very promising - thank you! I'll stay tuned.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well I have only one thing to say about LAMH. Hot Dang I like this thing.

How about some tips for counts on the Different sized figures from you folks in the know.
    I have many critters to Fur up, Ranging from Human sized or a bit bigger to rabbits. Any thing to cut done on my tweaking as I go will be a BIG help. Thanks in advanced.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Well I have only one thing to say about LAMH. Hot Dang I like this thing.

How about some tips for counts on the Different sized figures from you folks in the know.
    I have many critters to Fur up, Ranging from Human sized or a bit bigger to rabbits. Any thing to cut done on my tweaking as I go will be a BIG help. Thanks in advanced.

I'd like to second that. Great idea, 'cause correct me if I'm wrong, I think we still have to specify the count even when we apply one of the presets from Alessandro's site??

edited December 1969

Critters, I dunno about critters, but I am having fun putting hair on people

MIchael-Beard1.jpg
    1356 x 1017 - 231K
  • smoke14smoke14 Posts: 245
    edited December 1969

Hey Alessandro, I really want to thank you for this plugin. I'm just starting to try it out and so far its awesome. Just wanted to show a pic I did of the MilCat with the long hair preset. It is amazing the difference it makes to have the cat to have "real" fur. I'm really looking forward to seeing just what I can do with LAMH.

cat_02a.jpg
    1000 x 722 - 97K
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

I can promise you, folks, that it's only going to get better.

Kendall

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254
    edited December 1969

Okay, that feeds right into my question: how do you apply the presets? I've installed and activated, adn it seems to be behaving itself. But although I downloaded most of the presets for animal fur, there don't seem to be any instructions for applying them. There isn't anything in the interface which referred to or obviously related to presets.

The manual doesn't get into that, either. Needs an addenda which does, since I gather that quite a few people are likely to be building and distributing presets for different models before much longer.

Which brings up my 2nd question. Where do we store the presets? Anywhere we please and just point the plugin at them, or do they need to be in a specific place.

This discussion has been closed.