Animated Textures Script for DS3 and DS4 [Commercial]

DraagonStormDraagonStorm Posts: 748
edited December 2013 in Daz PA Commercial Products

Animated Textures Script for DS3 and DS4 Now Available.

Add Animated Textures to your renders! This is a script were you will be able to animate any mappable property of your scene. Not just surface properties, but also lights and the backdrop. It is easy to use, with minimal setup and constraints.

The Constraints:

Animated textures must be sequential files named in alpha order.
All sequential texture sets must be within thier own folders.
All sequential texture folders must be located in the same folder for the current render set.
The texture sequences are not keyframed, so if you change the starting frame number, the textures will not set to then advanced sequence. You will need to set that up before starting the script, if neccesary.

The Setup:

When you want to assign a mappable property to be animated, you select a texture file from within the folder of the animated texture set. The script will use the selected file as the starting point and then step thru the rest of the files in alpha order. When it reaches the last file, then it will return to the first file in that folder (of the same filetype).

When you are ready to start rendering, you will then use the Animated Textures script to render your animation.

View some example animations here

GUI.JPG
608 x 601 - 66K
Post edited by DraagonStorm on

Comments

• ReisormocapReisormocap Posts: 146
    edited December 1969

Excellent. This is something that I can make a lot of use of right out of the box. Expect me to be among the first customers when this is available.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 2013

if this really works: happy-happy-happy-in the cart

Post edited by Ruphuss on
  • DraagonStormDraagonStorm Posts: 748
    edited December 1969

And one more example of an animation using this script (which has passed QA)

RawArt's Genesis Brennan Morphed to Garoul

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited December 1969

Animated Textures Script for DS3 and DS4 is in DAZ QA testing.

Add Animated Textures to your renders! This is a script were you will be able to animate any mappable property of your scene. Not just surface properties, but also lights and the backdrop. It is easy to use, with minimal setup and constraints.

The Constraints:

All sequential texture folders must be located in the same folder for the current render set.
    The texture sequences are not keyframed, so if you change the starting frame number, the textures will not set to then advanced sequence. You will need to set that up before starting the script, if neccesary.

The Setup:

When you want to assign a mappable property to be animated, you select a texture file from within the folder of the animated texture set. The script will use the selected file as the starting point and then step thru the rest of the files in alpha order. When it reaches the last file, then it will return to the first file in that folder (of the same filetype).

When you are ready to start rendering, you will then use the Animated Textures script to render your animation.

This looks great, I have dreamlights animated texture plugin http://www.daz3d.com/animated-textures-plug-in-for-daz-studio
    does it work similar?

edited December 1969

Ivy said:

The Constraints:

The Setup:

This looks great, I have dreamlights animated texture plugin http://www.daz3d.com/animated-textures-plug-in-for-daz-studio
    does it work similar?

Yes and No.... First of all, this is not a plugin, so you will not have to be concerned with newer versions of DAZ Studio like you do with plugins.

With this script you will also be able to animate light textures and the backdrop. (Not sure about cameras... don't know if cameras even have textures files assigned them, I wasn't able to find any that did to test with)

The only thing to consider when setting up your animation, is that when you select an image sequence, is that it is located within the Folder that you will select in the script GUI. (If you are animating more then one property with different image sequences, you should create subfolders within that folder)

The image sequences are not keyframed to the timeline. So, for example, you would not see the textures advance when reviewing the animation from the timeline... What this script does is checks to see if the image file in the property is located within the folder you have selected the image sequences to be in. If it is, then as the script renders thru the frames, it gets the next image file in alpha order, starting at the image file that is assigned to the property.

For example: Let's say you have an image sequence named image_000 to image_100, with an animation with 400 frames. You set an image property to image_000, and your render range starting at frame 150, ending at frame 300. The image files would not start at image_150... It would start at image_000 and when it reached image_100 it will loop back to image_000 for the next frame.

I don't remember if Dreamlight lets you select 'Movie' as an output.... But with this script that is not an option. The output will be an image sequence, using the name you input, with the frame number sequence concatenated. But you can select a valid file type.

I hope this is not to confusing.... Sometimes I have a hard time putting into human words something I have coded in a program.

edited December 1969

Ivy said:

The Constraints:

The Setup:

does it work similar?

Yes and No.... First of all, this is not a plugin, so you will not have to be concerned with newer versions of DAZ Studio like you do with plugins.

With this script you will also be able to animate light textures and the backdrop. (Not sure about cameras... don't know if cameras even have textures files assigned them, I wasn't able to find any that did to test with)

The only thing to consider when setting up your animation, is that when you select an image sequence, is that it is located within the Folder that you will select in the script GUI. (If you are animating more then one property with different image sequences, you should create subfolders within that folder)

The image sequences are not keyframed to the timeline. So, for example, you would not see the textures advance when reviewing the animation from the timeline... What this script does is checks to see if the image file in the property is located within the folder you have selected the image sequences to be in. If it is, then as the script renders thru the frames, it gets the next image file in alpha order, starting at the image file that is assigned to the property.

For example: Let's say you have an image sequence named image_000 to image_100, with an animation with 400 frames. You set an image property to image_000, and your render range starting at frame 150, ending at frame 300. The image files would not start at image_150... It would start at image_000 and when it reached image_100 it will loop back to image_000 for the next frame.

I don't remember if Dreamlight lets you select 'Movie' as an output.... But with this script that is not an option. The output will be an image sequence, using the name you input, with the frame number sequence concatenated. But you can select a valid file type.

I hope this is not to confusing.... Sometimes I have a hard time putting into human words something I have coded in a program.

It does not sound confusing at all, this sounds much better than the Plugin I have for d3a, in fact it actually sounds like you have the file system set up better .
    Thank you very much to take the time to explain it to me. This sounds like something i would be very interested in.
    I look forward to its release,

• jaebeajaebea Posts: 454
    edited December 1969

This sounds totally amazing! I hope its not too much = $$ It still stings a bit that I bought the Dreamlight plugin and can't use it! They don't even seem interested in updating it for their customers. Anyway, I will be watching for it!

edited December 1969

still waiting

edited December 1969

ruphuss said:
    still waiting

Rumor has it... that it will be next week. :)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 2013

HAPPY DANCE!! So needed, and coming at just the point when I could really put it to use. JOY! think of Stimpy from Ren and Stimpy for the JOY part.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • omradiocomomradiocom Posts: 66
    edited December 1969

sorry if this has been answered or addressed:

What video file types and resolutions are to be used?
    This looks to be a good script to add. I tried one a couple of years ago that we found to be less useful than the time to put into project.

Thanks for your creativity.

edited December 1969

csampson said:
    sorry if this has been answered or addressed:

What video file types and resolutions are to be used?
    This looks to be a good script to add. I tried one a couple of years ago that we found to be less useful than the time to put into project.

Thanks for your creativity.

This uses image series files of any type that DAZ Studio will accept. If you have a video file you will need to convert it to an image series.
    I use Adobe Media Encorder. You can also use VirtualDub (which is free)

edited December 1969

Thanks DraagonStorm
    I just purchased it , I look forward to trying it out I know this will be very useful tool once i learn how to use it.

edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    Thanks DraagonStorm
    I just purchased it , I look forward to trying it out I know this will be very useful tool once i learn how to use it.

I look forward to seeing the results :)

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Does "animate any mappable property" mean that this can animate the texture map, trans map, and displacement map of a figure from three separate image sequences?

edited December 1969

wiz said:
    Does "animate any mappable property" mean that this can animate the texture map, trans map, and displacement map of a figure from three separate image sequences?

Yes.

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Thank you. Just purchased it.

edited December 1969

Silly question from a possible user, not leaped yet. If the script needs a rendered sequence, I understand that for TV and other items, just how was the man to werewolf change done? Was it a sequence of textures blended over time? I have a character that Morphs in my comic work, this if easy could bring that project into full motion instead of a comic format.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Silly question from a possible user, not leaped yet. If the script needs a rendered sequence, I understand that for TV and other items, just how was the man to werewolf change done? Was it a sequence of textures blended over time? I have a character that Morphs in my comic work, this if easy could bring that project into full motion instead of a comic format.

I used Photoshop and it's Animation timeline and to blend the textures.

(note: did these steps for each 'group' (torso, limbs, head, etc))
    1) Loaded RawArt's Brennan texture as the base and then layered RawArts Garoul texture over the Brennan texture.
    2) Select the Garoul texture layer, and go to the Animated Timeline
    3) Set to the first frame, and click on the 'clock' to the left of opacity and set the opacity of the layer to 0%.
    4) Set to the last frame and set the opacity of the layer to 100%

5) Convert to frame animation (little film clip button lower right hand corner)
    6) Select File->Export->Render Video

And now you have an image series from one texture to another.

edited December 1969

You rock TY very much. Off to buy now.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    You rock TY very much. Off to buy now.

Your Welcome.

I'm looking forward to see the results :)

edited December 1969

dear draagonstorm
    can you make a simple step by step example of your script pls
    just bought it

edited December 1969

ruphuss said:
    dear draagonstorm
    can you make a simple step by step example of your script pls
    just bought it

First: Have you checked the user's guide that was installed with the product? It will be in the subfolder ReadMe's of your (Content or My Library) folder. It is called 17918_animated-textures-for-ds3-and-ds4.pdf

If you still have questions after reading that, then please post.

edited December 1969

I read it
    just need a simple example for the workflow

I often work with image series in studio
    I use them in sony movie studio platinum
    what I did till now
    created a plane in szene tab
    on diffuse map I got the first image
    then started rendering to another folder
    now how do I get the pictures to run?

edited December 1969

ruphuss said:
    I read it

what I did till now

I think the best way is for me to make a video of an example... I'll try to make one today and get it up on YouTube.

One question.. When you say "then started rendering to another folder"... Are you using the script to do the render(s)? That is when you will see the image series progress (If you have selected an image series from within the folder you selected in the UI of the script.)

edited December 1969

ruphuss said:
    I read it

what I did till now

I think the best way is for me to make a video of an example... I'll try to make one today and get it up on YouTube.

One question.. When you say "then started rendering to another folder"... Are you using the script to do the render(s)? That is when you will see the image series progress (If you have selected an image series from within the folder you selected in the UI of the script.)

Here's the link to the YouTube Demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv00E4OqoRk

edited December 2013

thx at first for your video
    I did everything like you except using Sony movie studio

but I didnt see in the video the plane animated in the dazstudio szene with the movie on it
    or what are you doing with the imageserie from Virtual Dub

Post edited by Ruphuss on
    edited December 1969

ruphuss said:

thx at first for your video
    I did everything like you except using Sony movie studio

but I didnt see in the video the plane animated with the movie on it
    or what are you doing with the imageserie from Virtual Dub

As the script steps thru the frames it gets the next image in the series and assigns that image to (in this case) the diffuse surface of the plane.. And then renders that frame to the folder selected in the script, using first the name I typed in "RingOfFireDemo_ and then concatenated to the file name, the frame number(formatted) and the file type as selected [ie: RingOfFireDemo_0005.jpg for the frame #5]..... Starting at frame 0 and ending at frame 170. So I finished with 171 images in series. You can clearly see as each frame advances and then renders, the image is changing on the primative plane in video.

I used VirtualDub to show the image series that was created, as an animation, for an example. Since I really didn't want an actual animation file I didn't go forward with saving the image series as an animation using VirtualDub.

You will not see an animation in the DS4 users interface. You will see the animation of the textures after you have rendered all of the frames to an image series, and then create an animation file (.wav, .avi or whatever) using your software of choice (ie: VirtualDub)

edited December 1969

now you have an animation file: what to do with it that it works like an animated texture ?
    what I want to see in my animation in dazstudio is a changing texture
    how do get this to the timeline or cant I?
    do I missunderstand the whole thing?
    I thought of something like Nerds fireanimation which could be seen animated in the szene
    http://www.daz3d.com/smoke-and-flames-tool

edited December 1969

ruphuss said:
    now you have an animation file: what to do with it that it works like an animated texture ?
    what I want to see in my animation in dazstudio is a changing texture
    how do get this to the timeline or cant I?
    do I missunderstand the whole thing?
    I thought of something like Nerds fireanimation which could be seen animated in the szene
    http://www.daz3d.com/smoke-and-flames-tool

You will not see the animation in the scene. As stated in both the description in the store and in the user's guide. The image series assigned to a mappable surface is not key-framed. You will not see the image progress using the timeline. It is the script that advances the image series as it steps thru the frames and renders the scene.

Nerd3D's method is very unique and quite good for a specific setup of a specific product... It would be 'very' cumbersome to try to replicate that method to be able to use any image series for all mappable surfaces.