Anime Girl Kristin... WIP take 2

chrisschellchrisschell Posts: 267
edited October 2012 in The Commons

*I'm happy to announce that Anime Girl Kristin is now available for download as a free Public beta for community developement! See the latest post in this thread for details and you can find my release notes here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10352/ in the Freepository. :)

Edit* Important Update!!! I’ve posted a Figure Update in this thread to correct an oversight on my part… my apologies everyone… New downloaders won’t be affected by the issue I’ve fixed but those who’ve already downloaded my Anime Girl should grab the new file from the link in my post on page 4 of this thread…

Hey all... back some time ago I'd done a thread (in the old forums) for an anime styled figure i'd been working on... I figured I'd start a new thread here and show off some of the progress on the figure since that old thread.

Please keep in mind that the figure is still a work in progress and is also a very stylised body form that I've developed on my on my own over the years. It's influenced by anime artists such as Shirow, and also by styles such as seen in "Visions of Escaflowne" and "Macross Plus" amongst other anime movies and manga works.

The first few images are older ones... the last few are new, showing the latest tweeks and fixes...

Amongst other tweeks I added new materials for "pupils" and "lips"... also I've tweeked the shaping of Thighs, Feet, Head, Eyes, Chin/Jaw, Toes, and Cheeks. I've also tweeked the joints of the Knees to fix a few small bending issues that I wasn't quite happy with.

reshapes4.jpg
762 x 590 - 50K
reshapes3.jpg
762 x 590 - 48K
reshapes2.jpg
762 x 590 - 48K
reshapes1.jpg
762 x 590 - 45K
kristinheadfixes.jpg
600 x 600 - 52K
Post edited by chrisschell on

Comments

• chrisschellchrisschell Posts: 267
    edited July 2012

Here's a few additional images showing some of the clothing i've done for her so far... but these are on the older body before tweeks...

Kristin7.jpg
    590 x 1024 - 43K
    Kristin6.jpg
    590 x 1024 - 40K
    Kristin4.jpg
    590 x 1024 - 50K
    kristin1.jpg
    590 x 1024 - 53K
    edited December 1969

Hey All :)

Been working on my Anime Girl Kristin some more again... made some more small tweeks to the rigs (mostly the ankle and foot joints) and a few small tweeks again to the mesh... I think she's come a long long way from my starting point...

Here are some current renders of the figure with side-by-side toon and normal render styles for comparison...

comparison3.JPG
    590 x 1024 - 89K
    comparison2.JPG
    590 x 1024 - 100K
    comparison1.JPG
    590 x 1024 - 92K
  • booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

Unique, intriguing character. When I first saw your original work, I have to say, I wasn't that impressed. With the new improvements, I'm solidly liking this new figure. Keep up the good work. Is there a timeline for availability of this figure? Love to have her.

edited December 1969

I'd like to try and get atleast a beta release for possibly this fall... I'm currently working on inserting body morphs into the figure and still need to work on some basic head and face morphs as well...

Morphs for the Body so far include;

Nipple Size
    Large Breasts
    Small Breasts
    Fix Body Shape (this allows people that liked the older body form to use it while the new reshapes are available as well. The figure loads with this morph active but it can be dialed back to vary the over-all body shape...)
    Chubby Body

Planned Morphs for the body;

Thicken/Thin Legs
    Thicken/Thin Shins
    Thicken/Thin Thighs
    Slender/Thin Body
    Thicken/Thin Arms

I plan on doing some basic head morphs... such as a chubbier face, widder chin and nose and some other basics... plus a few expression morphs for the mouth but haven't gotten that far yet... Currently I'm working on getting the Body morphs list done and set up and after that will start on the head and face morphs. The body morphs will have to be transfered into the basic clothing as well before I can do a public release...

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
    edited August 2012

Hey.... I remember when you came in with her at the old site! Congrats on the progress!I really love the face updates! The clothes are really cute, too! Good job! :)

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
    edited August 2012

Ty Jasmine... :)

Over the last year or so since starting that initial thread I've been working on her off and on... alot of the changes were suggestions made in that old thread that I've finaly had time to incorperate into the figure in a way that kept my personal style intact whilst still improving the figure over-all... It's taken alot of time to figure out what to tweek and what not to and how best to include those changes...

Some changes like the shape of the face/head are permanent as are the changes to the foot shapes... while others like the over-all current body shape are done as flexible morph settings since some people liked the old body shape and simply wanted improvements to the head to match...

edited December 1969

I've finished the basic body morphs and am working on getting them inserted into the clothing now... In the meantime here's a quick render I did last night playing around with the figure...

real4.jpg
    590 x 1024 - 323K
    edited December 1969

Here's an example of the morphs I'm working on in action....

From left to right;

1)Chubby morph with Large Breast morph applied and Dark Skin alternate texture (Used Babydoll Hair with custom texture and bump)

2) Default Body as loaded with the Body Fix morph applied (Hair is my own creation) and Tanned Skin alternate texture.

3) Skinny morph and Small Breast morph applied with Light Skinned alternate texture (Hair is Twin-tails for Decoco by AKatora again with custom texture and bump)

comparison4.jpg
    590 x 1024 - 343K
  • blondie9999blondie9999 Posts: 771
    edited December 1969

Do you want honest responses, or just "positive" responses?

edited August 2012

I have no issue with honest feedback... as long as it's got something in the way of suggestions I can use and isn't just to run down my work or to tell me to educate myself... Alot of the changes and alterations I've already made have come from suggestions made in my old thread in the old Daz forums and I am perfectly willing to consider suggestions that will help me improve my character...

Please keep in mind that this is my own style and also a work in progress so I'm still tweeking things and adding improvements/alterations...

edited August 2012

Here's an up-to-date comparison of my anime figure to other figures available... I thought maybe this would help show some of the differences in Anime styles and where my own style fits in with it.

Used in this scene are; Hiro 3 and Aiko 3, Deco, Decoco, Maybe, Near Me, Chibi-Miku, Chibico Toon, Kururu, ChibiBel and my own Anime Girl Kristin.

As you can see she is quite different but not completely out of line with features and styles of other currently available figures (some of which are very popular) :) I put them all in the same scene and all with the exact same surfaces settings and materials so that the only differences come from the meshes themselves... All the figures are as loaded with no morphs or alterations of any kind except the surfaces settings...

animecomparison2.jpg
    729 x 590 - 231K
  • martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited August 2012

I've finished the basic body morphs and am working on getting them inserted into the clothing now... In the meantime here's a quick render I did last night playing around with the figure...

I supose she's standalone and not for genesis. I would like to see her head in genesis with more complex toon shaders. I like "Escaflowne flavor" in her fixed face.

I think feet in horizontal pose have some problems, but in heel position look very, very well.

More images from your hair, please.

Post edited by [email protected] on
    edited December 1969

Ty... I am glad you like her...

She's a standalone figure yes... though I'm sure if you wanted to there are ways to blend one figures body parts onto other figures... seems to me there was a tut around here or a forum thread about that (might have been in the old forums though).

I'm still using Daz 2.3 so I can't use Genesis... I have Daz 4 but found the interface a bit too clumsy after getting used to the old one so I don't use it... plus if I switched to the new format in place of the older cr2's then I'd have to make two versions of everything... one for Daz and one for Poser which would double my work load and would actually interfere with my workflow... lol

As it stands now, everyone can use what I create and I'm happy with what I have... which is really all that is important. :)

edited December 1969

I'd done this uniform for V4/A4 and was working on a version for M4 as well but never got around to finishing it... I decided to convert it for my anime girl to see how it'd look....

Lady_Katrine6.jpg
    590 x 1024 - 341K
    Lady_Katrine.jpg
    590 x 1024 - 104K
    Lady_Katrine_and_Galode.jpg
    590 x 1024 - 398K
    edited December 1969

Very interesting outfit. It fits her well.

edited December 1969

Ty... I think it works well... and i'm quite happy with the way the uniform has come out... :)

edited December 1969

Here are some pics of the 3 different hair styles I've created for her... I've done them in 3 basic textures; Blond, Redhead, and Brunette... the glossiness is intentional... (to match the anime sculpture type surfaces on the base anime girl figure...)

Lady_Katrine_Bobcut.jpg
    729 x 590 - 152K
    Kristin_Ponytails.jpg
    729 x 590 - 161K
    Jenn_Bun.jpg
    729 x 590 - 179K
    edited December 1969

Here are some pics of the 3 different hair styles I've created for her... I've done them in 3 basic textures; Blond, Redhead, and Brunette... the glossiness is intentional... (to match the anime sculpture type surfaces on the base anime girl figure...)

I like the last one. Pretty cool!

edited December 1969

Ty... I'll be doing a few more hairstyles over the next while and more clothing as well. Right now I'm just finishing up the last of the basic morphs for the base figure...

so far they are;

Body Morphs:

Large Breasts
    Small Breasts
    Nipple Size
    Fix Body Shape (switches between the initial body shape that some people liked and the new shaping fixes for those that prefer them)
    Chubby
    Skinny

Limb Morphs:

Thicken/Thin Legs
    Thicken/Thin Arms

Facial Expressions:

Grimace
    Sneer Left
    Sneer Right
    Smile/Laugh
    Mouth Round
    Pucker Lips

Head Morphs:

Elvaine Ears (The name I gave the Elfish races in my rpg that this character is based from)
    Jut/Retract Chin
    Lengthen/Shorten Chin
    Widen/Narrow Chin
    Nose Bridge Deep/Shallow
    Nose Bridge Wide/Narrow
    Nose Tip Long/Short
    Nose Tip Up/Down
    Nose Tip Wide/Narrow

... for an accumulated total of 23 basic morphs... :)

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited September 2012

You know, has anyone here ever played a game by Square Enix called "The World Ends With You"? The way how this anime girl is styled and shaded somehow reminds of the art style in that game.

Example Concept Art 1
    Example Concept Art 2

Maybe it's because she's supposed to be an "anime" girl with such a modern street look to her.

Post edited by RCDeschene on
    edited December 1969

Never played it... though I do have many titles by Square-Enix in my games library... I've had a huge number of influences in my style of 'anime' art over the years... the biggies are Robotech, Visions of Escaflowne, Anything Shirow (he's my favourite anime artist), and movies like Orguss, Macross, and Record of Lodoss War to name but a very small few... lol (I have a massive collection of imported comics and movies along with numerous how-to books). :)

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited September 2012

I can see you've made quite a few improvements to the figure, especially with the head. She looks a lot better now.

However, I still think the neck area looks wrong. It either looks like her shoulders are constantly hunched, or she has no neck whatsoever. If you could at the least add a morph that elongates the neck that would be a huge improvement. Heck, Escaflowne characters are well renowned for their nice necks.

http://static.zerochan.net/The.Vision.Of.Escaflowne.full.66184.jpg

Post edited by TheNathanParable on
    edited December 1969

I can see you've made quite a few improvements to the figure, especially with the head. She looks a lot better now.

However, I still think the neck area looks wrong. It either looks like her shoulders are constantly hunched, or she has no neck whatsoever. If you could at the least add a morph that elongates the neck that would be a huge improvement. Heck, Escaflowne characters are well renowned for their nice necks.

http://static.zerochan.net/The.Vision.Of.Escaflowne.full.66184.jpg

I shall take that into consideration... I had lengthened her neck a bit some like it some don't... I'll play around with lengthening it a bit more perhapse as a morph... and see if I can get some decent results... :)

In the mean-time, here are a few examples of some of the facial expressions possible with a combination of facial poses and the few morphs I've done... The Eyelids and Brows are actually rigged rather than morphing...

facial_expressions.jpg
    729 x 590 - 167K
  • TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 1969

The face is certainly looking a lot better. Perhaps you could include a morph to open the eyes a bit more, for shocked expressions?

edited December 1969

Opening the eyes wider won't need a morph... that's a simple adjustment of the min/max limit on the joints for the eyelids.. :)

edited September 2012

Figured I'd post an example of the various eye colours I've created as alternate textures... She also has 3 alternate skintones as well plus the default one....

eye_colours.jpg
    729 x 590 - 182K
  • RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited September 2012

Never played it... though I do have many titles by Square-Enix in my games library... I've had a huge number of influences in my style of 'anime' art over the years... the biggies are Robotech, Visions of Escaflowne, Anything Shirow (he's my favourite anime artist), and movies like Orguss, Macross, and Record of Lodoss War to name but a very small few... lol (I have a massive collection of imported comics and movies along with numerous how-to books). :)

You should look into it then if you're making characters like Kristin here. Perhaps playing it might help influence other characters in the same style, perhaps a male counterpart. ;)
    Post edited by RCDeschene on
    edited September 2012

I've actually had a few people ask if I have a male counter-part planned... I can honestly say I do yes... He'll be based on my own sketches and artworks the same as this figure is.... I also plan somewhere down the road on doing some monsters and animals from the same series of RPG game sketches as these have come from (I wrote my own RPG some years back and am now using the sketches I'd done for that as inspiration for my 3d work) :)

*Edit* We're talking a bit down the road for any of it... a male counter-part included... I still gotta get this one out yet.. lol ;)

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

I like 2 and 3.

edited September 2012

I'm actually happiest with the 3rd one... but the other two were early attempts at modeling hair from back when I started working on the Anime Girl figure... Much like on the figure herself, I still need to refine my hair modeling techniques... but as you can see I'm improving... :)