BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ►►►YEAR END EDITION◄◄◄ Theme is ░░░░☼ FROZEN ☼░░░░

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,122
    edited December 1969

Looking nice, Bruce. Bryce 7.1 can use up to 8 cores to render. And if you need a bit more memory than 2 GB, you can always make Bryce large address aware and get to about 3.2 to 3.5 GB.

• GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Looking nice, Bruce. Bryce 7.1 can use up to 8 cores to render. And if you need a bit more memory than 2 GB, you can always make Bryce large address aware and get to about 3.2 to 3.5 GB.

Hi Horo - Thanks. I did see your info on the LAA program and did use it with Bryce in this render. Maybe my issues lie with my graphics card as I do run into issues when I set it to True Color so I have to always set it at High Color. I noticed some threads regarding setting up number of rays in Bryce settings. Maybe I will play around with those settings and see if it helps render speeds.

Bruce

edited December 1969

@Bruce - As far as Bryce is concerned, the graphics card doesn't matter - it does only how your render is finally presented on screen. Bryce renders using only the CPUs, no GPUs are used.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,998
    edited December 1969

Hope everyone had a lovely holiday and best wishes for an awesome 2014 Brycing year.

My second entry before the deadline. Doodling in Bryce and the result “Frozen Flight”.

A simple setup done entirely in Bryce with a sphere and terrain.

frozen2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 43K
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756
    edited December 1969

@Horo and Jamahoney: Thanks! And I could have mentioned much more, but was getting tired %-P

@goshtac: Wow, great work. Really glad not to live there!

@mermaid: interesting render. Kind of a flying frozen fountain.

Maybe I can cook up just one more before the deadline...

edited December 1969

Hi folks:

I knew I had said I was done on this challenge, but had some time on my hands and really need to get back into my artwork so I did a 3rd entry for the FROZEN challenge. This one I call "CONTAINMENT TEAM ON SCENE" My version of a military containment team that is responding to the site of a crashed UFO out in the frozen wasteland.

Pretty straight forward render using Bryce - UFO is made from sphere primitive and only commercial model in scene is Blackhawk Helo from DAZ.

Some minor post work done with PSP 9 to add some blowing snow from copters and to add a few more rocks to debris on ship.

Some purists might argue the fact that prop blades aren't blurred - I realize it might have added a bit more to the scene, but on the other side of the coin I had been a military and police photographer at one time and depending on shutter speed, you can actually pretty much freeze the movement of the blades if shutter speed high enough. I think there might be blurred blades with this model, but my DAZ content files are a mess so I could not find any and I don't like to try blurring the blades in post as I have not been real happy with the results in the past.

Have a Great Weekend ! Bruce

Containment_Team_On_Scene.jpg
    1514 x 857 - 363K
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - that looks like a huge chunk of ice in the air. Looks rather frozen.

@Bruce - nicely done. Blurred blades on chopper photos are a myth. Good photographs of flying choppers don't show blurred blades. As you say, it's a question of shutter speed - and of distance, too. Google Helicopter and look at the pictures. Yours are accurate as they are.

edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Second entry...before the deadline. Wouldn’t want be a judge there – what with all the wonderful works so far.

Title: “Lost Horizon”...haven’t seen that film for ages – all about ‘Shangri-La’; a wonderful, mysterious place somewhere in the snowy Tibetan mountains.

Jay

Fabulous image Jay - you really captured the feel for "Lost Horizon" Hmmm - Like you I haven't seen either version of that movie in a very long time although I must have a VHS tape of it somewhere.

I agree with your comments on being a judge here - Some really great works in this challenge. Best of Luck to everyone !

Bruce

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2013

Well what I do with the judging is make a thread, with just the entries in it, with a title and a number. That way my judges can't play favourites, although they wouldn't do that anyway.

All of them have used Bryce at some stage or the other, but don't use it regularly.

What I do is ask the CV team to be my judges, so that actually includes the moderators as well (except me of course) as we are all CVs as well as mods. I don't vote, because I do sometimes put a render in, as I have done this time, plus of course I am watching this thread all the time.

The CVs don't monitor this thread, so they don't know who is doing what.

In case any of you don't know what the CV team is, it is a team of people who got together, primarily at first to put together the New Users Area, with help from DAZ 3D. DAZ allowed us to do that, and it has been a resounding success, as many new users get very daunted by the mainstream forums, and really like the New Users Area, because it is moderated much more strictly, so they don't get any hassle for asking questions that have been asked before and so forth. CV stands for Community Volunteer.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@hansmar: Neat looking scene.

@Bruce: Both of those images are great. And both look too cold.

@mermaid: You've created a cool looking scene with the frozen flying crystal structure.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 846
    edited December 1969

I had the idea to build a window with ice pattern on it for quite some time. But I did not found the right idea how to do that. Last friday I found a solution.

The scene is mainly lit with the Bryce sun and TA. There are two distant lights to brighten up the foreground. I only used a bit of postwork with Photoshop to emphasize the whole in right window pane.

I called the scene "north window". (Okay, good observer recognize the position of the sun, which may rather speak for a title like "east window")

NordfensterV3.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 502K
    edited December 1969

@electro-elvis - cool idea and superbly done.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I agree with Horo. Would love to know how you did the frost pattern on the window.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

elvis: yes please tell how you did the frost....

Well I just wanted to wish everyone good luck in Frozen.....and I am sure glad I don't have to judge....beautiful things everyone!! Trish

edited December 1969

I'm of two minds, I see crystals but I also see where something came through that one pane. I'm like the others, how'd you achieve the ice crystals? Really looks good, electro.

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

Some mighty good images this time around!
    Here's my entry, "Back to Base"
    Credits:
    Genesis male/Wolf - DAZ3D
    Clothes - DZFire
    Flyer from Poser 3 included content
    Tower created with the Modo Bashing kit - custom UV mapping and PS texturing
    Trees - Abaro, poly reduced in Modo
    Rendered at 144RPP, TA enabled. A little over 7 hours render time
    Thanks for looking!

back_to_base.jpg
    1600 x 600 - 263K
  • AllegraAllegra Posts: 405
    edited December 1969

So many wonderful renders and concepts!
    Best of luck to all with the challenge, I was going to try to enter but it's NYE here so perhaps next year my skills might be ready for public viewing.
    Happy New Year to all and thank you for your help and guidance:)

edited December 1969

@dan: Nice looking scene.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,099
    edited December 1969

@electro-elvis : yep the frost, how to ? this is very well done.
    @dan whiteside: great landscape
    Wonderful entries every one.

Happy New Year !

edited December 1969

@Dan - very special and very nice.

edited December 1969

Great scene Dan !!

edited December 1969

@electro-elvis. What a wonderful scene. Very well done. Me too, I would like to know how you made that frost on the window!

@dan whiteside: wonderful scene with great detail.

Finally, I decided to create one more. I wanted something different. Not a frozen landscape, but a frozen element standing out from a warm environment. I thought about fires etc., but decided to keep it more simple.

I used elements from older scenes (the standing lady, the houses) and created one more element: the sitting, frozen lady. She is so cold, she even freezes the air around her.
    In total, my workflow was rather complicated: Standing lady is a variant on Stephanie from DAZ3D, posed in DAZ Studio 4.6 and clothed in Marvelous Designer. Houses made in Bryce, textured in Bryce too. Sitting lady is Jessi from Poser, posed in Poser 9 again clothed in Marvelous Designer. I used Hexagon to create the frozen air around her. Texturing in Bryce.
    Rendering in Bryce 7.1 pro, this time without true ambience (to safe time).
    After rendering, I exported to Tiff (thanks for the suggestion, Horo!) and changed contrast and saturation a bit in Picturenaut. I added my signature afterwards in Photoshop Elements.

There must be a story here too. Have to think of that. But Stephanie is saying (to someone not in view): "Oh, look at that poor girl. Looks like she is totally frozen. Even the air around her freezes! What happened?"

What do you think happened?
    a. an angry wizard cast a horrible spell
    b. some criminals put her in a deep freezing room, where they tend to keep beef, etc.
    c. her lover did something so terrible that her heart froze and resulted in this effect.

You can vote if you want to!

Hansmar

Frozen3.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 782K
    edited December 1969

It has to be ...(A) it was a hard choice though

• KerynaKeryna Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

Help - where do we post our final renders? Its midnight 31st here in Africa hope Im not too late

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

keryna said:
    Help - where do we post our final renders? Its midnight 31st here in Africa hope Im not too late

post them right here in this thread. Chohole will take them from here to present to the judges in a new thread for judging. Good luck with the contest everybody!
    edited December 1969

Ok Here goes my final submission - a minimalist alternative - Black Rhino in an ice cube, melting (but still FROZEN!) [no postwork except the name/title/date)

ICE_RHINO-sg_SML.jpg
    965 x 885 - 470K
    edited December 1969

Hope everyone has a Very fine and Bryce-filled year ahead.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 846
    edited December 1969

Hi everybody

Sorry for my delayed answer. I am happy to answer the question, how I made the frost pattern on my window. Actually it is not very difficult, but my problem was, that I not believed it would be possible to achive it, the way I finally made it. Therefore it lasted quite a bit of time, until I even tried it.

Ok, It is mainly a bump, that comes from a photo, I found in the internet. In the beginning the structure was too big, therefore I changed the picture in a seamless texture with photoshop. I removed the colours and adjusted black and white. Then I added it as an image texture to the glass material I used for the window. The only value is bump heihgt of 3. Mapping mode is parametric.

I hope it is okay, that I have added the picture to my post. Feel free to experiment with it.

eisblumenhochformatendlos_dunkler.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 590K
    edited December 1969

Elvis: Thanks so much for explaining that...the effect you got was wonderful.....Trish

edited December 1969

@bullit35744: thanks for chosing.

@electro-elvis: Your explanation is much appreciated. Something to remember!

@keryna: Wonderful cubes!

@ALL: Happy New Year!!!