BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ►►►YEAR END EDITION◄◄◄ Theme is ░░░░☼ FROZEN ☼░░░░

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,156
    edited December 1969

@JStryder - quite a hot-blooded lady to face a dragon in those garments in that season.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@JStryder: Horo took the words right out of my mouth. But facing something so menacing I doubt she feels the cold. Love the colors.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

JStryder: the colors are super

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,112
    edited December 1969

Very beautiful renders everyone !
    My contribution to the challenge :
    1. Frozen fantasy.
    A vision of a glacial dream.
    2. Frozen insect.
    Imagine a delicate insect, a million years old, frozen in time.
    3.Winter landscape.
    A cold, icy view.

winter_landscape.jpg
    872 x 600 - 137K
    frozen_insect.jpg
    872 x 600 - 61K
    frozen_fantasy.jpg
    872 x 600 - 116K
    edited December 1969

@adbc - very nice renders, the last one is really striking.

edited December 1969

Thanks horo for your comment.

edited December 2013

adbc: My favorite is the middle one looks like a bird of prey with the claws out ...ready to scoop something up...Trish

Post edited by Trish on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,764
    edited December 1969

OK, I've seen some very great renders already. So, no chance of winning at all, but who cares. Making the renders is all the fun.

This is my first contribution. Actually an oldy, totally changed in appearance by modifying the sky and all textures (except some on man, stairs and rope).

"Didn't I tell him that it was ridiculous to climb in this cold, wearing shorts and short sleeves?
    Yeah, guess he will be all frozen before he reaches the top!"

Hope you like it!

Hansmar

canyonfreaks8.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 1007K
    edited December 1969

@adbc: Like all of those images, but more partial to the last one. Overall effect is really neat

@hansmar: That's a cool looking scene when the larger image is viewed.

edited December 1969

@bullit35744 and @ GussNemo : thank you for your kind comment.

@hansmar : I like your picture.

edited December 1969

@hansmar - very special. Well done!

edited December 2013

hansmar: nice image your right he would get kind of cold in shorts...LOL.. and it is about having fun that is the main point...I am glad you entered Trish

Post edited by Trish on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Second entry...before the deadline. Wouldn’t want be a judge there – what with all the wonderful works so far.

Title: “Lost Horizon”...haven’t seen that film for ages – all about ‘Shangri-La’; a wonderful, mysterious place somewhere in the snowy Tibetan mountains.

Jay

losthorizon1.jpg
    1498 x 795 - 633K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Second entry...before the deadline. Wouldn’t want be a judge there – what with all the wonderful works so far.

Title: “Lost Horizon”...haven’t seen that film for ages – all about ‘Shangri-La’; a wonderful, mysterious place somewhere in the snowy Tibetan mountains.

Jay

Yes my judges do struggle sometimes, I often have to go out and kidna.......... I mean enlist guest judges to help them make up their minds. Last month I had so many dead heats at first it was confusing, even with the scoring system we use.

edited December 1969

OOOHHHH good one Jay

edited December 1969

@Jay: Nice scene, windy looking also.

edited December 1969

@Jamahoney - that's a beautiful scene.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Yes my judges do struggle sometimes, I often have to go out and kidna.......... I mean enlist guest judges to help them make up their minds. Last month I had so many dead heats at first it was confusing, even with the scoring system we use.

Dead heats?
    As a non native English speaker, I would like to know what that is????

Great renders, everybody!

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969
  • Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    chohole said:

Dead heats?
    As a non native English speaker, I would like to know what that is????

Great renders, everybody!

Dead Heat...it's an old saying left over from horse racing. It means that two or more horses are running evenly, side by side at the same speed. Also referred to as "neck and neck". Races like this are too "close to call" (determine a winner) so a photo-finish might be required. Literately, a photograph is taken at the finish line, at ground level, to see which horse has won. On many occasions, a horse's muzzle might be ahead over the finish line over the other and will win the race "by a nose".

I'm just a wellspring of useless information...I'm glad I'm not judging. There's been some pretty spectacular stuff posted!

edited December 2013

Cheers, Trish, Guss and Horo...and all - there's something about mountainy scenes that Bryce is extra-suited to, I think, than other 'wares in the CG community.

As for the judges...let's hope they're all sober around deadline time....hic ;)

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Dead Heat...it's an old saying left over from horse racing. It means that two or more horses are running evenly, side by side at the same speed. Also referred to as "neck and neck". Races like this are too "close to call" (determine a winner) so a photo-finish might be required. Literately, a photograph is taken at the finish line, at ground level, to see which horse has won. On many occasions, a horse's muzzle might be ahead over the finish line over the other and will win the race "by a nose".

I'm just a wellspring of useless information...I'm glad I'm not judging. There's been some pretty spectacular stuff posted!

Your information is not useless! Thank you! :)

edited December 1969

@bigh: Neat video, and thanks for the wish. Same to ya.

edited December 1969

@gusnemo, adbc, Horo, bullit35744: Thanks for your positive comments. I really struggled with the texture on the hill up close. Still not completely happy, but more or less gave up on this one.

@Jamahoney: Wonderful scene. Very nice use of fisheye, although it stretches the sun a little. Only issue is for me that the snow (in the larger view) is very smooth. Might have used some phase, I think.

@adbc: all three renders are wonderful. The last one is the most 'frozen' to me. Now this one looks a tad too grainy, however. Did you use True ambience with a rather low number of rays per pixel, by chance? As a general render, I prefer number 2: great point of view and vision of speed!

@chohole: I wish you and your judges the best of wisdom with such great and highly diverse frozen wonders!

edited December 1969

@adbc: all three renders are wonderful. The last one is the most 'frozen' to me. Now this one looks a tad too grainy, however. Did you use True ambience with a rather low number of rays per pixel, by chance? As a general render, I prefer number 2: great point of view and vision of speed!!

Thanks, yes a low number rays per pixel, I kind of had to because otherwise the render would have taken ages and after a few
    bryce crashes.... In a way it was supposed to look grainy, especially the ice.
    The second one took me a lot of adjusting and tweaking but in a way the simplest scene in regard to composition.

edited December 2013

bigh: cool video !!! you are just multi-talented....Trish

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Hi all,

Here is a new entrance from me. Too late I considered that I might have put a 'Grinch' in the scene instead of the robot. However, that would take me a little too much time.
    This actually is a quicky. Robot, eggs and jewel in the sky created in Hexagon 2.5. Landscape made in Bryce 7.1 and everything textured in Bryce as well. Of course the render is in Bryce (premium quality, true ambiance with sky as IBL). I did pump up the contrast in my old version of Photoshop Elements, since I accidentally did not use the correct Tiff for output to do some slight work in Picturenaut.

Of course, there is a story to this render. Actually, it could be made into a story with a number of other robot renders I made in the past (mostly on Renderosity).

Here goes: "The surveyor robot was put on the very cold planet, to check for lifeforms. He had not encountered any yet, but did found a strange set of 'eggs' in the sky, apparently forming a guiding path to somewhere behind this pass. When he almost reached the top of the pass, he noticed another strange item in the sky. It looked like a kind of gem, with a light inside. Could it be a natural phenomenon, like a strange moon? Or did it indicate there must be intelligent creatures somewhere around? Or maybe they had also frozen when the planet drifted away from its sun? Would he ever find out? Contemplating the options he stared at the thing for a while, when........."

OK. Someone can think of the follow-up and render it!

Greetings from rather un-Chritsmas-like 'warm' Holland.

Hansmar

frozen2.jpg
    695 x 695 - 406K
    edited December 1969

That's a nice one, good story, too.

• GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi folks: Hope everyone had a Great Holiday ( I ate too many Christmas cookies myself)

My 2nd and final entry into the FROZEN challenge is "Dawn Of A New Ice Age"

Rendered in Bryce ( Almost 3 days to render this and tied my computer up - Wish Bryce was 64 bit as I am running a 8 core system with WIN 7 Pro and 16 gigs of RAM but it doesn't help with a 32 bit app )

With the exception of two foreground buildings which I had made from primitives, the other buildings are modified terrains. Majority of the textures are my own imported into the material lab. 2 commercial models - the hummer and car are the only commercial items in the scene.

The snowdrifts in the scene are modified rocks and the stop sign was one of my older Bryce props made from primitives.

Minor post work done with PSP to adjust brightness as well as soften some hard lines on the snowdrift. I also added some minor wisps of blowing snow across the landscape.

Have a great day and stay warm - I have to go out and plow snow shortly..

Bruce aka goshtac

A_New_Ice_Age_3.jpg
    1514 x 857 - 290K
    edited December 1969

Hansmar...nice one, and very surreal-like, too, but you forgot to mention in your story that the mountains were purple and skin-like in texture ;)

Goshtac...a lot of work there - looks better in the larger view.

Jay