(Solved- works!) Move presets folder out of Bryce folder and add symlink.

Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
edited October 2013 in Bryce Discussion

One of these days I'll stick with Bryce. Take 3..

I read through Horo's PDF and what goes where, and it says to backup the Presets occassionally and to be sure to back them up if you have to re-install Bryce. To save myself the accidental goof-up of forgetting to back things up, could I just move the Presets folder altogether and create a shortcut to the new location, also named Presets, in the Bryce folder?

Will Bryce be fooled by that and not blow up? lol

If a standard shortcut wouldn't work, has anybody tried it with a hard symlink?

/edit
This works. Directions: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/31430/#466463

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,109
    edited December 1969

@Vaskania - neat idea but the location of the presets are hard-coded into Bryce. There are a few things like tree presets or HDRIs that pop up an open dialog and you can navigate to things. In Bryce 4, the presets were all together in a common presets folder. With Bryce 5 came the sub-folders. It would have been a nice idea at the time to remove the hard-coding. This was also missed when the libraries were improved and a sky library added with Bryce 6.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited October 2013

I might actually be able to get away with the symlink then, since it goes beyond a basic shortcut and tricks the system into thinking the folder contents physically exists where the link is, even though it doesn't. A symlink would actually make it look like I had the Presets stored in 2 separate folders since it doesn't redirect like a shortcut.

Only one way to know for sure, lol. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and post back what I find.

edited October 2013

Symlinks are so simple I just went ahead and did it now. It works.

Link was created, and Bryce is fooled. Huzzah.

Here's how (use an elevated cmd prompt). Hit enter after each line (your directories will differ). The folder created will look like an average shortcut, but because it's on the system level and doesn't add a redirect the way a standard shortcut does, it works.

*note*
    If you try this, move your Presets folder first so the mklink function can create the new Presets folder in its place.

WorkingSymlinkBryce.png
    692 x 438 - 174K
    SymlinkBryce.png
    837 x 366 - 32K
    edited December 1969

Interesting! And how can such a sym-link be removed? Would that be with /H?

edited October 2013

Just delete it through explorer like a regular shortcut.

/H is for creating hard links to files (/J would be a hard link to directories/folders). /D, like I used, is a soft symlink.
    Here's more on symlnks: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

The only difference I see is that site says soft symlinks will redirect to where the files are stored, like a regular shortcut; however, the one I created is acting like a hard link and not redirecting (unless he means on some underlying level and not a visual path redirect in the url bar)

edited December 1969

Thank you, I'll have to try this. No need for it at this time, but it might come in handy later, and not only for Bryce.