DAZ Studio Pro BETA (4.6.0.81), Now Available!

Comments

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

XiMiX said:
    I don't really have time to beta test for Daz right now but I did notice something off the bat,

- first my personal layout and styles were not an available when changing the interface (ie. the ones I made with Pro 4.6.0.18) and

- the only plugin I had trouble with was Genesis Generation X. It was not even showing up in teh list of available plugins so I can enter a serial number. I uninstalled and re-installed 'GenX' and still had no luck after restarting my machine. I did this with both DS4_D3DGenX_1.1.0.0_Win64.exe and DS4_D3DGenX_1.2.0.0_Win64.exe.

Hope this info is useful and GL to the rest of you I have several pieces in mind and I just do not have the patience to work with a beta right now. If you feel the need to move this post or if you require a support ticket please take it upon yourself to do so because I will not be doing that.

Those issues are because it installed side by side and not connected to your release version, except for the Serial number. We are in the process of making 3rd Party Plug-ins available through Install Manager which will install to both the release version and the Beta version of DS.
  • DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

If it hasn't been said already, I think it needs to be said. There will be bitrock installers provided for the General Release of DAZ Studio. As has been mentioned before the reason the Beta version requires DIM is because it is now running parallel to the General Release of DAZ Studio. Using bitrock installers to do this creates a lot of problems. Is it possible to do? Yes. Is it worth all of the resources it would take? Absolutely not. If it was we would do it. Instead we want our software team focusing on developing the actual software rather than making it possible to run the beta in parallel with a bitrock installers.

TL;DR - Bitrock installers will be available for the General Release of DAZ Studio. They won't be available for the beta release.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited August 2013

I used to install beta over the existing version worse comes to worse you re install the stable version. The other pain about running 2 has its been mentioned is if one uses things lie the dark side and customized set up you need to set it all up again. Finally I could swear that it had been said that it's not a good idea to run multiple installations of Studio on the same machine unless I am mistaken.

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Finally I could swear that it had been said that it's not a good idea to run multiple installations of Studio on the same machine unless I am mistaken.

That used to be the case, however DAZ has specifically designed the newer beta to be able to run alongside the previously released version to eliminate that limitation.
    edited December 1969

Ha ok I just wonder if you overwrite a scene with the beta will it be prevented to be open with the current version? I guess the way around that would be to create a new folder to save the beta scenes into just in case..

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Finally I could swear that it had been said that it's not a good idea to run multiple installations of Studio on the same machine unless I am mistaken.

That's because the two installers would by default try to put the programs and their dependent system files on top of one another. Getting around this by installing in two different places involves a certain amount of "you shouldn't really be doing this" stuff done to your computer (otherwise it won't work). The workaround used here works only with this Beta because that's the way it's been set up. Once the final release is out, it'll install over and remove the previous version just like it always has.

What does work, though, is running completely different D|S versions on the same computer; this works because their default installation locations are all different. I have the last stable versions of D|S2 and D|S3 happily co-existing with D|S4.6 with no major problems (I just have to be a bit more careful how I install new content).

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Ha ok I just wonder if you overwrite a scene with the beta will it be prevented to be open with the current version? I guess the way around that would be to create a new folder to save the beta scenes into just in case..

Definitely keep your beta scenes saved separately from your non-beta scenes! I haven't tried what you mentioned, but that could be a concern either now or later, and of course if something changes in the Beta but is later removed, that could also be a problem if you didn't keep them separate.
    edited August 2013

Agreed I used to run DS3 & 4 I just no longer have use for 3 since the newer versions of Reality are compatible with 4 due to some displacement inversion lux bug that were fixed in more recent versions. One can use Reality & Lux with 3 but they would have to be older versions unless one wants to spend time manually removing all displacement maps.... I am going to just wait for the next stable version as a Lux user there really is no rush...

Edit let's just say Im a little less put off now that I understand about running parallel versions which actually could save a lot of frustration in the end so my apologies..

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

I still have and run Versions 2.3, 3.1 Advanced and 4.6 Pro. There are plugins for 2.3 and 3.1 that have never been updated. The Bryce Shaders for Example.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

It's always a good precaution not to overwrite scenes made with the general release with ones made in the beta, although the .duf format minimizes the risks.

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 554
    edited December 1969

Whilst I understand Why DAZ has taken this approach with this beta, from a customer perspective who doesn't use DIM or like it necessarily, its unfortunate that a separate installer isn't available. Some of us do like to have greater control over where things are installed and several people have advised of bug and glitches with the software.

Assuming that the beta could be installed as is, in place of current version without BitRock improvements to enable parallel install, it should be offered - Even if we had to accept a disclaimer that installing is at users risk and will overwrite current version and not be in parallel.

As a web developer I understand that controversial decisions have to made sometimes but to assume that investing time in getting BitRock installers to work in a parallel manner is not worth the effort without any consultation of customers (that I am aware of) is a little disappointing.

I will be waiting for general release as I don't really like to be forced to use something I haven't had to previously - sorry DAZ.

edited August 2013

I think the more of us voice our concerns the better. They do sometimes listen I was contacted and asked about my concerns which I found somewhat impressive and certainly got me to turn it down a notch LOL!

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • isymcisymc Posts: 36
    edited December 1969

I personally will not insist on exe-installers, but I want any kind of offline installing method.

Today everyone assumes that all people have broadband access to the internet wherever they are.

Even I'm located in central Europe I do not have DSL or cable at home. It's simply not avaliable.

Downloading hundreds of MBs via mobile will cost me hundreds of Euros and endless hours of time.

I need the option to download at my workplace and to install at home, anything else is a 'no go'.

I already cancelled my platinum membership because latest changes to the site and DS somewhat killed my mood and I quite sure will cancel my account and stop buying in the store if things go 'DIM only' in the future.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

DAZ 3D has always said that DIM was not going to be mandatory.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

You can download at work and install at home with DIM. Download the files through Product Library, once at home transfer them to the Download folder for DIM, start DIM and the files will be in the Ready to Install tab.

edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    You can download at work and install at home with DIM. Download the files through Product Library, once at home transfer them to the Download folder for DIM, start DIM and the files will be in the Ready to Install tab.

To download the file(?) DIM must be installed on the local computer otherwise Firefox does not know how to proceed the link.

As this is not my computer but a company owned I'm not allowed to install any personal software on it. I even can't because I do not have administration privileges on this machine.

(and yes, in any case of doubt I press the button to see what happens)

edited August 2013

Use the Download link, not the Download and install link. Then do as Jestmart has suggested.

Bring up your product libary, by clicking on your account (top right of screen) and then click on Product Library And use the blue button, not the green one to download

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Use the Download link, not the Download and install link. Then do as Jestmart has suggested.

Bring up your product libary, by clicking on your account (top right of screen) and then click on Product Library And use the blue button, not the green one to download

Thank you Chohole, I really appreciate that you and Jestmart want to point me to the right direction,

but there is no blue button on the DAZ Studio Beta dowload page.

There are 2 options green/blue on 90% of the download pages but Studio Beta and some bundles in my purchase history show up with only one, the green one.

edited December 1969

tigerste said:
    Whilst I understand Why DAZ has taken this approach with this beta, from a customer perspective who doesn't use DIM or like it necessarily, its unfortunate that a separate installer isn't available. Some of us do like to have greater control over where things are installed and several people have advised of bug and glitches with the software.

Assuming that the beta could be installed as is, in place of current version without BitRock improvements to enable parallel install, it should be offered - Even if we had to accept a disclaimer that installing is at users risk and will overwrite current version and not be in parallel.

As a web developer I understand that controversial decisions have to made sometimes but to assume that investing time in getting BitRock installers to work in a parallel manner is not worth the effort without any consultation of customers (that I am aware of) is a little disappointing.

I will be waiting for general release as I don't really like to be forced to use something I haven't had to previously - sorry DAZ.

It wasn't an assumption, it was based on fact. Our developers said "It will take x amount of time to get the bitrock installers to work for the beta." That was too much time when a simple alternative (using DIM) was already available. We are well aware that not all of our customers use DIM, but the decision has been made.

I do appreciate everyone's enthusiasm and desire to use the beta.

edited December 1969

jestmart said:

If anyone does this please keep in mind that you need to transfer the .dsx file that comes with the .zip. If you transfer the .zip only you will run into problems. This is true for anything downloaded with DIM on one computer and then installed with DIM on another computer. Always, Always, Always, Always, bring the .dsx file with the .zip.

edited August 2013

isymc said:
    chohole said:

Thank you Chohole, I really appreciate that you and Jestmart want to point me to the right direction,

but there is no blue button on the DAZ Studio Beta dowload page.

There are 2 options green/blue on 90% of the download pages but Studio Beta and some bundles in my purchase history show up with only one, the green one.

Yes unfortunately this is the one exception to the rule. There is no manual button for the New Beta, because it does absolutely need to be installed with DIM in order to preserve the integrity of the existing DS4.6 version you have on your computer.

With bundles, if you click on what is included in the bundle you should get the individual DL buttons.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Could you explain, "bring the .dsx file with the .zip". None of my products had a .dsx file to download, but it seems DIM generated it in the download folder after install.

edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    Could you explain, "bring the .dsx file with the .zip". None of my products had a .dsx file to download, but it seems DIM generated it in the download folder after install.

If you look in the DIM downloads folder you will see that each .zip file has a corresponding .dsx file. If someone wants to download using DIM on one computer and then transfer that download to the DIM downloads folder on another computer that is fine. I just want to make it clear that when you transfer the download you have to move both the .zip and the .dsx file. If you download from the Product Library you won't get a .dsx file. The .dsx files are only there if you download with DIM.

• AkhbourAkhbour Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Can anybody check if the UberSoftLightKit, UberHair and UberEnv works correctly?

I do have problems with them, i.e. the UberHair is lacking 90% of it's settings, UberSoft has no Light settings in the Parameters etc.

edited August 2013

Akhbour said:
    Can anybody check if the UberSoftLightKit, UberHair and UberEnv works correctly?

I do have problems with them, i.e. the UberHair is lacking 90% of it's settings, UberSoft has no Light settings in the Parameters etc.

Perhaps its Lux time again... I dont know how many times the ubdersoft lights have crapped out on me before

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,880
    edited December 1969

Akhbour said:

Have you checked that they are finding all of their files? The beta is a separate application from the release version, and shaders need files that are kept in the application folder. The log should tell you if something was missing, which by the description I suspect is the case.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

I've got the beta downloaded via DIM. Now if I let DIM install for me will it overwrite my current installation or will it create a new install folder? I really don't want the latter to happen, just makes a mess in the Programs folder.

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited August 2013

RAMWolff said:
    I've got the beta downloaded via DIM. Now if I let DIM install for me will it overwrite my current installation or will it create a new install folder? I really don't want the latter to happen, just makes a mess in the Programs folder.
    A new install folder, so it doesn't access 3rd party plug-ins in official install, so I haven't really tried it much myself.
    Post edited by Jabba on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

SIGH.. thanks Jabba!

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited August 2013

Okay, I'm not sure if this was already pointed out, and I don't feel like going through 6+ pages at the moment, so I'll present it, anyway. Long story short, all the product icons are corrupt and nothing will load right. And yes I made sure everything was directed to where I usually have all my content.

Untitled.png
    1600 x 900 - 278K
    Post edited by RCDeschene on