Carrara Challenge 3: PARADISE LOST AND FOUND. Work In Progress (WIP) thread.

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited August 2013

Hey Dart, I think he said the volumetric clouds don't work in the Non-Photor real renderer (NPR), which is why I provided the link to the vertex clouds.

The other thing I think he's doing with the clothes is attaching a standard, non-rigged mesh clothing item to his character by attaching it to the hip under the animation menu. It works well except for long skirts. I could be mistaken on that one though.

Right. I was just adding stuff that I thought might instigate some fun experimentation. I tried to mention that I was not really being very helpful toward the end of the post - but was just interjecting.

But Gawd Dammit Dart, that would mean I'd have to read all the way to the end of your post! :lol:

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224
    edited December 1969

Really?
    I thought you were totally used to me by now!
    These contest threads were the best dog gone thing, eh? Frickin' Head Wax... Thank You Very Much!
    So fun to see all of the WIP. I agree with your sentiment: All participants are winners - and we are. Much is learned all the time - and all of this sharing of "what we're doing in order to try and win the contest" is so oddly wonderful for contestants to do! Look at Fractal Dimensia giving away his secrets to making such a stunning sea scene! Well and 0oSeven, Diomede, Antara, Wendy, You, BooksbyDavid... you know... the whole crew (I know i'm missing people - sorry... typed too much already) it's true magic. It's community fun. Very cool prizes to be had - even going through at the end and bashing my head against the wall to determine which image I'm voting for... It's just down-home coolness! And I love it! :)

HarpoonStarships.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 174K
    edited December 1969

Really?
    I thought you were totally used to me by now!
    These contest threads were the best dog gone thing, eh? Frickin' Head Wax... Thank You Very Much!
    So fun to see all of the WIP. I agree with your sentiment: All participants are winners - and we are. Much is learned all the time - and all of this sharing of "what we're doing in order to try and win the contest" is so oddly wonderful for contestants to do! Look at Fractal Dimensia giving away his secrets to making such a stunning sea scene! Well and 0oSeven, Diomede, Antara, Wendy, You, BooksbyDavid... you know... the whole crew (I know i'm missing people - sorry... typed too much already) it's true magic. It's community fun. Very cool prizes to be had - even going through at the end and bashing my head against the wall to determine which image I'm voting for... It's just down-home coolness! And I love it! :)

Dart, are you going to try one this month? I can understand if you're not able to, due to your beautiful new granddaughter.

edited December 1969

I love content! Here is a classic example. I see the above "Harpoon Starships" and I get a feeling in my gut. That feeling tells me that I really like the shape, the style of the model, along with the craftsmanship that went into it. So I buy it. If I set out to build an exploration-class starship, it wouldn't turn out looking like that. Simply because I wasn't the one whom had the vision to make it. Harpoon isn't really an explorer, I don't think. But that's how I have them outfitted. If the pilot finds something worth exploring, the ship can function as a long term home, complete with (albeit tiny) sleeping bunk, water restoration, survival gear and maintenance/mechanic tools... he or she could just 'set camp' where they are - dig in and survive/explore.

edited December 1969

Dart, are you going to try one this month? I can understand if you're not able to, due to your beautiful new granddaughter.

Yeah... I'm hoping to. Got another stonework job to finish. Well... I have to start it, too! :)
    But I'm hoping to get started tomorrow (Sunday). You?
    edited December 1969

...and we have to try and get Gars Man to pop one in, too. But he has to use Carrara!

edited December 1969

...and we have to try and get Gars Man to pop one in, too. But he has to use Carrara!

Damn straight!

edited December 1969

Yeah... I'm hoping to. Got another stonework job to finish. Well... I have to start it, too! :)
    But I'm hoping to get started tomorrow (Sunday). You?

You must have missed my WIP. I figured you would at least get it, since you're a fellow Cheesehead and live in, or near Door County. ;-)
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/26828/P105/#405426

edited December 1969

Oh! No I didn't miss it! As a matter of fact I responded to it but got kicked out, like what has been happening so often lately. Don't worry. The new forum gurus will fix it. DAZ_jared and DAZ_Jon are quite passionate at getting our forums fixed - you'll see.

No... I love the image and the concept! Boy oh boy is that ever a fact in my neck of the woods. Not quite so close to the border... but....
    Great stuff! Sorry I forgot that was in this thread. We've both been busy thread hopping today, and I'm getting dizzy! ;)

• GarethGareth Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This challenge is looking great, i think i'll participate :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,821
    edited December 1969

my WIP might just appear final day when entry does.

edited December 1969

This challenge is looking great, i think i'll participate :)

The more the merrier! It's great to see another Carrara user!

edited December 1969

This challenge is looking great, i think i'll participate :)Awesome! How's it going, Gareth? Good to see you again!
    my WIP might just appear final day when entry does.
    let me guess... all cores rendering night and day - pushing Carrara to its limits and your computer even harder? ;)
    Yeah.. I really have to get my tail into gear too. I've been rendering animations non stop when I have time to set them up and batch queue them. Aside from that, it's been solid research and development for me. Stonework job starts tomorrow - which will help my mind stir. Assembling dry-laid stone walls always relaxes me and pulls my best creative juices to the forefront - so I'm fortunate to have found this job when I did - and should only take two to three days to complete. I hope that leaves enough time. If so... I'll drop what else I'm doing and get my entry together.
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

Great to see some new faces :)

Welcome back Roygee, Bathroom tiler extra-ordinaire :)
    and Gareth Davies, looking forward to seeing your images!

Here's something from Joni Mitchell's Put up Parking Lot

Just thinking on my wacom out loud :)

BigYellowTaxi.jpg
    893 x 2000 - 526K
    edited August 2013

Oh I forgot Joni Mitchell's song

They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot
    With a pink hotel *, a boutique
    And a swinging hot spot

Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you've got
    Till it's gone
    They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot

They took all the trees
    Put 'em in a tree museum *
    And they charged the people
    A dollar and a half just to see 'em

snip

Late last night
    I heard the screen door slam
    And a big yellow taxi
    Took away my old man

Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you've got
    Till it's gone
    They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot

They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot
    [/size1]

doordecaforwebl.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 207K
    Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

That's excellent, as always!
    Well, I might have to try and kill two stones with one bird for this one - otherwise, if I can find more time, I'll try for a second entry as well.

Although neither of these shots are destined to be actually 'in' the final work, they 'are' part of the same scene, Image 2 being four seconds after Image 1, which is eight seconds through the scene, Image 2 being the final frame of twelve seconds. This is the only 'content' being used and the two images not only help to show that that camera is now zooming away from my favorite subject to render, but it should also be clear that the illumination is changing color. However, the lights remain unchanged from frame 0. The color variations are the new experiment I'm trying in my ongoing study of the 'linear workflow' I've begun due to a simple request by Phil Wilkes - to just try it. Well it has really become an interesting study for me because the whole experiment has (pardon the pun) shone a new light on rendering animation sequences for me. In this test, I am using two lights, full GI and full Indirect Lighting, but with fairly meager settings - and it's giving me render times nearly half what I am getting without the GC=2.2 method. That's substantial when rendering animations!

The Scene contains a Bi-Gradient Background for actual surrounding colors, with a black Backdrop, to keep the Bi-Gradient from showing up in the render. Each of the four colors used in the Bi-Gradient are shifted forty-five degrees in the last frame, and then an oscillating tweener is applied to that. Her robes are flowing about and her hair is blowing around wildly throughout the sequence.

It is all also part of an experiment I am conducting for the up and coming PD Pro: Howler 9, who's current beta version already includes a feature that I requested only days ago - Thank You So Much, Dan Ritchie!!!

The rest of the scene is coming... but I thought I would toss these initial test renders up as a WIP type of thing, and so I can explain where I'm going with all of this.

TranEx1AE2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 83K
    TranEx1AE1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 345K
    edited August 2013

First Carrara element added - an animated glowing volumetric cloud that, too, changes color and is nearly dispersed by the twelfth second, but I haven't seen a test of that frame yet. Time for bed, and work tomorrow - so I can just let Carrara Pro crunch on these animations all night and tomorrow - so that I can then test the new Howler features! :)

edit:
    the effect is done by really driving the brightness on the cloud as time passes. I have parented a bulb to the center of the cloud and when the burst effect of the cloud is at its prime, the bulb gets up and over 250 brightness, I believe... can't remember the exact setting.

TranEx1VCF4dw9a.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 301K
    TranEx1VCF6dw9a.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 407K
    TranEx1VCF32dw9a.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 259K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

The Scene contains a Bi-Gradient Background for actual surrounding colors, with a black Backdrop, to keep the Bi-Gradient from showing up in the render. Each of the four colors used in the Bi-Gradient are shifted forty-five degrees in the last frame, and then an oscillating tweener is applied to that. Her robes are flowing about and her hair is blowing around wildly throughout the sequence.

Just love that bit of data, thank you. The lightning in that last render you posted is transmofraphicalwonderful :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802
    edited December 1969

My second try at this will be trying to transform an isuzu 3ds model into a carrara textured and hopefully something resembling a fire truck that is used in my area by the bush fire brigade..

Always saving Paradise during bush fire season..

Hopefully I'll be able to get it finished and rendered... satisfactorily..

Here is a WIP

wip_isuzu1.jpg
    679 x 572 - 272K
    wip_isuzu.jpg
    874 x 692 - 140K
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Hi head wax

Yep, making a bit of progress on the WIPs in between re-doing the kitchen :)

My entries were also inspired by song - "Aquarius" from Hair and "Where Have All The Flowers gone " by Peter, Paul and Mary. I did consider "Parking Lot", but couldn't figure how to pull it off. Guess this ages me, no? :)

Been having fun creating smoke - finally figured out how to do it from scratch with the help of PhillW - thanks, Phill:)

Well, her'es Sheba - She Who Must Be Obeyed, "suggesting" I get off that computer and grab a paintbrush - cheers:)

composite2.png
    640 x 480 - 292K
    wip3.png
    640 x 480 - 404K
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    My second try at this will be trying to transform an isuzu 3ds model into a carrara textured and hopefully something resembling a fire truck that is used in my area by the bush fire brigade..

Always saving Paradise during bush fire season..

Hopefully I'll be able to get it finished and rendered... satisfactorily..

Here is a WIP

Stezza, that's a seriously professional presentation you have there/ Almost like it's for clients.!

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Hi head wax

Yep, making a bit of progress on the WIPs in between re-doing the kitchen :)

My entries were also inspired by song - "Aquarius" from Hair and "Where Have All The Flowers gone " by Peter, Paul and Mary. I did consider "Parking Lot", but couldn't figure how to pull it off. Guess this ages me, no? :)

Been having fun creating smoke - finally figured out how to do it from scratch with the help of PhillW - thanks, Phill:)

Well, her'es Sheba - She Who Must Be Obeyed, "suggesting" I get off that computer and grab a paintbrush - cheers:)

Ah yes, you are showing you are as old as me. I love the flowers in the hair, flowers everywhere :)
    Water looks great!
    You going to throw Mama Cass on the fire ? :)

• Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

First Carrara element added - an animated glowing volumetric cloud that, too, changes color and is nearly dispersed by the twelfth second, but I haven't seen a test of that frame yet. Time for bed, and work tomorrow - so I can just let Carrara Pro crunch on these animations all night and tomorrow - so that I can then test the new Howler features! :)

edit:
    the effect is done by really driving the brightness on the cloud as time passes. I have parented a bulb to the center of the cloud and when the burst effect of the cloud is at its prime, the bulb gets up and over 250 brightness, I believe... can't remember the exact setting.

Your girl there is really pretty :) loving her hair and her facial expression.
    Is that one Vicky or Genesis?

edited December 1969

Thanks for all the welcome backs :) i have been pushing my PC to the MAX with Carrara for the past few years (and totalled a few keyboard doing so) :lol:

edited December 1969

Man, a lot of awesomeness on this forum. :)

edited December 1969

Been working on my entry, there's still a lot to do and i deer press the render button... so here's a quick snap :)

wip_2.JPG
    1866 x 959 - 333K
  • Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

Now that looks promising. A place where I would love to drive along on my bike.

edited December 1969

Rhiana said:
    Now that looks promising. A place where I would love to drive along on my bike.

Thanks:) hopefully everything goes smoothly on the final render.

edited December 1969

This is one of the characters i will be using in the scene, i might have to render the characters and the scene separately to save my computer from overheating. :lol:

WIP_girl.jpg
    1620 x 962 - 131K
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Here's my final (?) layout.
    I have spent way to much time trying to create a city in ArchiTools.
    But somehow I was not really satisfied with the outcome. (I might have to come back to that later)
    So I put together a little monastery instead.

So now I'm wondering if I should put in a little river/stream, with a bridge and a yellow brick road.
    The grass does also need adjusting...

Doc1.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 463K