Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 5

Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
edited November 2013 in Bryce Discussion

Part 4 is here

Dave: You are getting very cool results using metaballs. The last image is really awesome.

Thanks Mermaid.

And just to show that multi-replicating metaballs doesn't have to result in a pretty and delicate result... Here's one I left cooking today when I went out.

I don't know which part of the animal it is, but it looks like it's been there a while.

OldBone.jpg
850 x 650 - 282K
Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• M1chaelFrankM1chaelFrank Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Dave: You are getting very cool results using metaballs. The last image is really awesome.

Thanks Mermaid.

And just to show that multi-replicating metaballs doesn't have to result in a pretty and delicate result... Here's one I left cooking today when I went out.

I don't know which part of the animal it is, but it looks like it's been there a while.

Wow, this is great.

edited December 1969

Well I didn't like the multi-replicate of the flower stalk and head... eventually it took just over 36 hours and I just deleted it.
    So here is the simplified version.

Forgive the pun, but these are really taking shape.

edited December 1969

Thanks Rareth.

Final one for a while... Still trying to get more flow and finesse going on.
    The green shoots I didn't turn into metaballs in the end because I liked the scaly appearance of them as regular spheres.

You're getting some good results, and I'm glad to see you're concentrating on the environment too... it's coming together as a whole image, very neat to look at.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Dave: You certainly are getting nice results using metaballs. The last image really looks nice.

@David: You are getting some nice results with your experimentations.

@Rareth: Second gas cloud really is a keeper.

I started playing around with metaballs but progress is slow. I can get a circle of metaball objects but am still trying to come to grips with adding offset and rotation. Plus it doesn't help as I play with them I suddenly get an idea from those I'm playing with, and end up trying to create something from them. Below are just an experiments.

You're certainly getting the hang of it! With a bit of finessing of the controls, your objects are going to be spectacular. I really like these.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Thanks Mermaid.

Not only an interesting shape but also, excellent use of DOF, light and materials!

New videos

Extreme materials - a specular neon effect via IBL - by David Brinnen
    Extreme materials - a specular neon effect continued - by David Brinnen

These materials experiments are wonderful.

Thanks Michael. Still yet to find that perfect electron microscope effect...

edited December 1969

Thanks Mermaid.

Not only an interesting shape but also, excellent use of DOF, light and materials!

New videos

Extreme materials - a specular neon effect via IBL - by David Brinnen
    Extreme materials - a specular neon effect continued - by David Brinnen

These materials experiments are wonderful.

Thanks Michael. Still yet to find that perfect electron microscope effect...

You and I both! I'm still trying to as well.... one of these days, we'll figure it out.

edited December 1969

a few more examples of metaballs and replication. Some older work, but stuff that I'm still quite happy with.

The-Tale-of-Loversz.jpg
    600 x 750 - 237K
    ROILz.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 136K
    UYDFtestz.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 408K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Thanks David... I do have my moments.

Thanks also to you Micheal, not only for your supportive comments, but also for sharing more of your wonderful artwork and not least for sharing some of your techniques and providing some pointers as to how others can develop their own. It's what we like most about our Bryce community.

Meanwhile, I've made some purchases in the DAZ store today and have invested in some of David's products.
    Here is my first play with the "Bryce 7 Pro HDRI Captured Volumetric Skies 1"

It's a great product and certainly improves skies to volumetric standard without the increase in render times associated with using volumetric clouds. And even though the bulk of the effect does come from a pre-rendered sky saved as an HDRI, you can still edit the Bryce sky elements and customise them all to suit your scene. Loving it David, you can now expect to get fed up with seeing your skies in Show Us Your Bryce Renders 5. :+)

So just a very quick test render, with sky made orange and sun edited slightly, model of freebie ship added and rendered at Premium at 9RPP (to get all the rigging to render properly). Rendered in 20 minutes.

OrangeSky.jpg
    1100 x 650 - 374K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

ah the fun one can have with Volumetrics..

I call it Planet in Peril

*the heck 10 tries to post a friggin picture..not to mention logging off clearing cache and history, logging back on

Planet-Peril.jpg
    875 x 875 - 357K
  • TLBKlausTLBKlaus Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Some very impressive metaball work there... I may have to revist them soon.

Here are some older things I made with them, a Vulcan-inspired bomber and an abstract.

metaplexity2wp.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 1M
    flybynewwp.jpg
    1360 x 757 - 804K
    edited December 1969

Nice planes TLB.

This one, same HDRI as the previous one, but this time edited more for desert colours and one cloud layer removed.

DesertRocks.jpg
    1100 x 650 - 294K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited July 2013

@mermaid: And here I thought I was the only one who thought Ctrl-Z was my six finger. I've been using that combination quite often while coming to grips with multi-replicating. It's much easier to delete, or Ctrl-Z, the newly multi-replicated portion than scrap the entire document and start over. This way the original object is maintained for further experiments.

@Rareth: Those additional nebulae really look nice. Adding the planet is a real nice touch.

@Horo: Thank you. Right now experimentation is the order of the day.

@M1chael: Thank you. I'm still plugging away trying this and that in order to understand the effects. As I am with the affects metaballs have on each other. Those earlier works are great looking. I just wonder where the rest of the octopus is hiding in that black and white scene.

@Dave: I'm needing a thesaurus in order to continue complimenting you on your fine work. All three of those outdoor scenes are wow. I especially like the atmosphere you've created with the water scene.

@TLBKlaus: Both of those images are terrific. I agree with Dave about the planes, they're great.

Well, I fired Geller because what I had in mind wasn't going to look right with a bent handle spoon. I also thought the butt end looked a bit bare so I added a little embellishment. If you'd like to see why I straightened the spoon handle, look in the beating the heat thread.

Spoon_5.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Post edited by GussNemo on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,056
    edited December 1969

This thread moves fast ...

@Dave - skeleton looks good, front part reminds me of a patato.
    Thank you for purchasing our product. The scene with the ship loks very palusible. The desert scene looks really great.

@Michael - oldies but goldies ... I would also be happy if I could accomplish this. The sphere in the first image, are they made with metaballs too? It appears so to me. The main shape reminds me of arms of an octopus with the sucking cups.

@Rareth - another nice space cloud. Nice planet, too.

@TLBKlaus - aeroplanes look good, I like the urban area below. Abstract reminds me of a ring of bulbs.

@GussNemo - the spoon handle straightened. Are you the real Uri Geller? :lol:

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,940
    edited July 2013

This thread is moving very fast .
    Dave – the skeleton looks good, so do all your other renders.
    Michael – thanks once again for sharing your awesome inspiring work.
    Rareth - another nice space cloud.
    TLBKlaus – both your renders are great.
    GussNemo - the spoon is looking great now

I spent the last few days playing with metaballs trying to make ice cream. I found a cool program in Horo’s site Spiralizer – its under Tools.

Thanks Dave and Rareth for your input in the challenge thread.

ice_cream_cone.jpg
    600 x 600 - 18K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

Thanks also to you Micheal, not only for your supportive comments, but also for sharing more of your wonderful artwork and not least for sharing some of your techniques and providing some pointers as to how others can develop their own. It's what we like most about our Bryce community.

Meanwhile, I've made some purchases in the DAZ store today and have invested in some of David's products.

It's a great product and certainly improves skies to volumetric standard without the increase in render times associated with using volumetric clouds. And even though the bulk of the effect does come from a pre-rendered sky saved as an HDRI, you can still edit the Bryce sky elements and customise them all to suit your scene. Loving it David, you can now expect to get fed up with seeing your skies in Show Us Your Bryce Renders 5. :+)

So just a very quick test render, with sky made orange and sun edited slightly, model of freebie ship added and rendered at Premium at 9RPP (to get all the rigging to render properly). Rendered in 20 minutes.

It's my pleasure... I'm very happy to help. I'm eagerly anticipating your new scenes; very nice work!

edited December 1969

TLBKlaus said:
    Some very impressive metaball work there... I may have to revist them soon.

Here are some older things I made with them, a Vulcan-inspired bomber and an abstract.

I'm equally impressed with that great cityscape/buildings in the background.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    This thread moves fast ...

@Dave - skeleton looks good, front part reminds me of a patato.
    Thank you for purchasing our product. The scene with the ship loks very palusible. The desert scene looks really great.

@Michael - oldies but goldies ... I would also be happy if I could accomplish this. The sphere in the first image, are they made with metaballs too? It appears so to me. The main shape reminds me of arms of an octopus with the sucking cups.

@Rareth - another nice space cloud. Nice planet, too.

@TLBKlaus - aeroplanes look good, I like the urban area below. Abstract reminds me of a ring of bulbs.

@GussNemo - the spoon handle straightened. Are you the real Uri Geller? :lol:

Thanks, Horo! The sphere was created with nothing but a replicated torus, actually. I made a ring, and then replicated the ring.

edited December 1969

Nice planes TLB.

This one, same HDRI as the previous one, but this time edited more for desert colours and one cloud layer removed.

Great composition! And I love those clouds.

edited December 1969

This thread is moving very fast .
    Dave – the skeleton looks good, so do all your other renders.
    Michael – thanks once again for sharing your awesome inspiring work.
    Rareth - another nice space cloud.
    TLBKlaus – both your renders are great.
    GussNemo - the spoon is looking great now

I spent the last few days playing with metaballs trying to make ice cream. I found a cool program in Horo’s site Spiralizer – its under Tools.

Thanks Dave and Rareth for your input in the challenge thread.

Your "ice cream cone in the sky" is very tantalizing.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the free advertising Dave! I think I can cope at the moment. Not fed up yet.

Still playing with outlines here...

Plan9_outline_glowing1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 191K
    edited December 1969

Another early image from a few years ago...
    The models are made out of basic replicated elements. The render, rather predictably, was ridiculously long.

LIOex._.jpg
    1760 x 1042 - 451K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Uri Geller? Me? No, blame it on Brycing, and an idea for beating the heat.. :lol: (wow, smileys are back, nice.)

@mermaid: Thank you. Retrofits and additional ideas seem to arrive slower this time of year.

@David: Your latest image reminds me of years gone by neon art, where glass tubes were used to create, well, scenes like you've created. Really like this one.

@M1chael: That one is indeed a keeper. Reminds me of the finds treasure hunters have in adventure movies.

edited December 1969

... Still playing with outlines here...

I feel a new competition coming on here: The DB Guess What the Heck it is Competition.
    My answer: A gaggle of hippies hugging a broken Joshua tree? :-)

It's a good effect non the less.

edited July 2013

... Still playing with outlines here...

I feel a new competition coming on here: The DB Guess What the Heck it is Competition.
    My answer: A gaggle of hippies hugging a broken Joshua tree? :-)

It's a good effect non the less.

Thanks Dave! I did nearly say when I posted this image that I thought it was just on the border of abstraction. Knowing what it is of, I can only see my original idea as opposed to the acid flash back to the 60's. That has given me an idea though... not to rush out in search of LSD... but I'll see if anything comes of it before I say more.

Thank you also Jamie. Are you seeing hippies? Or are is everything still cubes as a result of a Minecraft OD?

Michael, yes, all those transparencies... you are not afraid of long renders, that is clear! Metaspheres and transparencies, CPU's must tremble in terror when then they see you approach the keyboard!

Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969
    super_reflection1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 456K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

THats one of those images that moves when you use the scroll wheel

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Not on my screen. Maybe it depends on your wheel action or the zoom level of your browser? Or even on the web browser you are using? Or my eyes? Anyway, given the potential of this approach I've made another video to show how this method can be expanded upon to get some cool effects fairly easily.

Extreme materials - creating an abstract pattern with super reflection 2 - by David Brinnen

super_reflection5.jpg
    850 x 850 - 532K
    super_reflection4.jpg
    850 x 850 - 584K
    edited December 1969

Thanks Dave! I did nearly say when I posted this image that I thought it was just on the border of abstraction. Knowing what it is of, I can only see my original idea as opposed to the acid flash back to the 60's. That has given me an idea though... not to rush out in search of LSD... but I'll see if anything comes of it before I say more.

Ooooo, the anticip.....

.... ation. :D

In other news: I'm still having loads of fun exploring David and Horo's HDRI sky pack... Later today, I may start looking at gritty ground textures, which I also picked up at the same time. :)

PalmShoreTA.jpg
    888 x 500 - 152K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Not on my screen. Maybe it depends on your wheel action or the zoom level of your browser? Or even on the web browser you are using? Or my eyes? Anyway, given the potential of this approach I've made another video to show how this method can be expanded upon to get some cool effects fairly easily.

Extreme materials - creating an abstract pattern with super reflection 2 - by David Brinnen

Wow nice abstracts.

This discussion has been closed.