Material preset incompatibilities are driving me crazy!

barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Warning: Frustration ahead...

I loaded a V4 UV material on Genesis 2 Female (I have the Victoria 4 for Genesis female 2 product). I made some changes to the material. I changed the teeth to V5 UV and loaded a diffuse tooth texture from another product. I saved the material preset. I can reload it on another Genesis 2 Female just fine.

Why can't I load that preset on the original Genesis? Genesis supports both V4 and V5 UV. When I try to load the material preset on Genesis, nothing happens. I even tried control clicking the preset to apply it to just one selected surface (the face). Nothing happened. The log doesn't indicate any unusual error, just good old "WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 3 unknown for QWidget)".

Am I doing something wrong? Why does this have to be so hard? Why do we have to have so many incompatibilities? Glad I haven't spent money on V6 yet. Is there a solution to this dilemma (other than giving up on G2)?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

I suspect you may need to set your materials up on the original Genesis, it may be that the additional material selection sets are stopping the preset from working on G1.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited June 2013

I'll try that in the future. Meanwhile, is there any reasonably easy way to recover the work I've done on the material on G2 in order to get it onto G1?
    Edit: I thought the additional material selection sets were a 4.6 feature, not something specific to G2. Is that wrong?

Post edited by barbult on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

You could load both G1 and G2 and use the Copy selected surface/paste to selected surfaces commands in the Surfaces pane option menu (note that it won't copy the actual shader in use, just the properties, so you will need to apply the base shader first). If you are in 4.5, not 4.6 then no, the surface groups should not be available in which case I'm not sure what the problem is - unless it is itself a limitation of the way 4.5 reads the advanced surface set up.

edited December 1969

I'm using 4.6. I just thought that if extra surface sets was a feature of 4.6, it should work for both Genesis and Genesis 2 in 4.6.

I'll try your surface copy method. Thanks for the suggestion.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

The problem is the base surface names for G2F are different. Even with copy selected surface, you'd need to do them one at a time, otherwise the surface names won't match up.

However, if you save out the DUFs using Genesis as your base, then the surface selection sets that G2F has programmed in for compatibility will allow the preset to also load on G2F. However, it will be missing the new EyeReflection surface, since Genesis has no such equivalent material.

edited December 1969

Jeez Louise (as my grandmother would say), what a PITA!!!
    Yes, I am having to copy one surface at a time from G2 to G1. For some reason the 2_SkinHead surface would not copy at all, even after being sure that the correct shader was applied first. I had to manually enter each value for every channel of the shader. I think I almost have it done now - just looking for any discrepancies. And of course, this is for just one material preset file.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2013

Read through this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24247/

Richard brought up using the Polygon Group Editor tool to rename the surfaces. It will not save them permanently, just for the currently loaded G2F, but rename the NEW surfaces (without the numbers) to match the legacy numerically. You won't have a number for the reflection surface, obviously, but you can just uncheck that surface when you save the preset.

I'm not sure how to rename the surfaces as there is no rename option when you right click the surfaces in the tools window when the PGE is selected. Depending on how hard/easy it is, renaming them temporarily might be quicker than doing what you're currently having to do.

Materials saving should allow for checking the legacy surfaces as well, but that would be too easy.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the reference to the other thread. I see these G2 surface problems even go way beyond what I am currently experiencing.

Well, back to my manual conversion. I'm still trying to resolve the last discrepancies in my shader setting/settings copying/manual fixing process on the same ONE material preset I started with.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Since .DUF files are really just XML, another approach is to use Studio to uncompress the .DUF and then do some search-replace operations in a text editor. I presume someone could also make a DAZ Script that would also do this automatically.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited June 2013

You can create surface selection sets with the same surface name on genesis without the number so that the preset will also be compatible.

A little trick for the eye reflection would be to use the polygon group editor to add a surface named eye reflection without anything in it for Genesis

I didn't do it myself but that should work

[EDIT] Did it on my Genesis and it works. I can load G2 Bree Preset on Genesis. I don't have the corret UV Set (Base Female) but all the surface settings are there. Saved Genesis as Figure/Prop Asset to keep the modifications

Genesis_Custom_Surface_Selection_28-06-2013_19-14-03.png
    1505 x 840 - 174K
    Post edited by Takeo.Kensei on
  • BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

Hi Barbult, fixed that for ya with a script : Genesis1 surfaces for G2F (DS Script)

edited December 1969

Hi Barbult, fixed that for ya with a script : Genesis1 surfaces for G2F (DS Script)

Oh, you are wonderful!!! I'm going to try this script as soon as I can get back home. I wrote a bug report about the problem, and DAZ immediately closed it and said it couldn't be fixed. Ha! I guess they didn't try very hard.
  • BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

barbult said:

Oh, you are wonderful!!! I'm going to try this script as soon as I can get back home. I wrote a bug report about the problem, and DAZ immediately closed it and said it couldn't be fixed. Ha! I guess they didn't try very hard.
    I have to agree with Daz on that. They can't fix that without having to recall and update all G2F/V6 products already in the store or being worked on now and then it would still render all user saved settings from before the update useless.
    My script actually makes G2F/V6 incompatible with it's own texture sets, although it has it's use in some cases. : - )

And i actually really like the way G2F's new surface tab is set up. Very clever and i think it's a huge improvement over Gen4/G1.
    Being able to dynamically switch between G1 and G2F surfaces would ofcourse be the best of both worlds.

edited December 1969

I used it again today. Works great!