What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• BIGGER TYPE that people can actually read.................

In WIndows DS 4.9.2.70+ will respect the system DPI settings, giving larger fonts. A more comprehensive solution, which will also work on Macs, is being worked on (as it has been for some time) but it isn't a trivial change.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687

How about the ability to tie render settings (dimensions, render-engines or scripts, et cetera) to particular cameras as needed?  So if I want to render here in 3Delight at 910 x 910, then from over here in Iray or Luxus at 1000 x 1300, I just need to lock the renderer to the camera (or vise versa) and when I'm ready, just switch cameras.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    Taozen said:
    Petercat said:
    Taozen said:

I'd like the Scene tab's selection to be fixed. It often selects tons of items my mouse wasn't even near. Not sure why it does that.

Have you check if ClickLock is turned on? You can find the option under Mouse Properties > Buttons. Otherwise you may have a problem with a hanging mouse button. 

Doubleclicking when you single click is another problem with some mice/trackballs, caused by bad or worn-out microswitches, dirt, or other things. There are long threads about it in the Logitech forums. The M570 trackball is often affected by it. 

Mine does this also, two different computers, 4.9 and 4.8, two mice, one <1yr, one <1mo, one Logitech, one Sharkk. Happens once or twice per session on either computer.

The Scene tab thing or mouse doubleclick?

I've written a small app that can test for double clicks to see if it's affected by how you push the buttons, it does seem to matter as far as I can see, at least with the M570. Especially releasing the button slowly seems to trigger it. There have been different suggestions in the Logitech forum for how to fix it, including replacing the microswitches, I'm going to try some of them to see if it helps. 

The scene tab thing. I don't have doubleclick problems with any of my mice in any other program on either computer.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    kyoto kid said:

...@ mork, Totally agree on a Linux version.  As Win7 is approaching it's EOL and Apple has shifted to AMD GPUs her needs to be another option to Win10.

This is a really great Idea but Iray is tied to MS and Daz is into Iray in a big way. If there was a way to get Iray without MS on Linux, then Daz could create a flavor of Unbuntu Daz with Installers for just doing graphics. Now that would be a great system to have for doing 3D. No more guessing if MS going to break something DAZ would be in control of the OS they support. Daz would have to invest into Open Source Linux thou and I don't see that happening. I could be wrong?

Wrong.  Iray is for Linux as well: https://developer.nvidia.com/iray-sdk  Iray server is recommended for Linux.

http://www.gpurendering.com/hardware/nvidiaIrayVca.html

Kendall

..thank you for the clarification. I figured it should have been.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Surface setting meant for Iray will not look as good in 3Delight and vise versa so don't see any use in tying render settings to a camera instead of the scene.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    jestmart said:

Surface setting meant for Iray will not look as good in 3Delight and vise versa so don't see any use in tying render settings to a camera instead of the scene.

Some will, and some won't.  Right now there are no shaders yet released that support both renderers directly, but even if I'm only using Iray, there are times when I want to switch render size or other "Render Settings" details in a single move when I change to another camera.  I know some of the Render Settings are scriptable:  why not make them linkable as well?

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    jestmart said:

Some will, and some won't.  Right now there are no shaders yet released that support both renderers directly, but even if I'm only using Iray, there are times when I want to switch render size or other "Render Settings" details in a single move when I change to another camera.  I know some of the Render Settings are scriptable:  why not make them linkable as well?

I would just make render presets for each type to switch between them easily ... Tying it to a camera would feel so backwards and awkward to me.

• bodzettebodzette Posts: 13

Soft Body physics on figures

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    Petercat said:

Again, a comprehensive detailed manual with all the bells and whistles with screenshots. Even things like how to create your own slider for a character, or how to save characters for redistribution. Also Mac user instructions included.  I've tried to watch the video tutorials but I like to watch on my iPad and the font size on the menus is too small to see in the videos and everyone has a different UI set up so I have no idea what is actually being clicked and I'd like something I can refer back to easily rather than remembering where in the video tutorial it was. Also hand and face cameras as part of the UI. A way to have parameter limits off by default instead of having to uncheck them individually each time. (Which may already be possible but without a manual I have no idea if it is.) Roll over pop ups wth everything in the menus explaining what it does in layman terms briefly with a link explaining more about it. I'd add more but I'm still learning the program and don't even know what I don't know yet to change because half of the usability of the program seems to be a well hidden secret and you have to dig deep to find out what everything actually does and you don't find out till later that some products you paid quite a bit for, you could have done yourself in minutes if you knew the program was capable of doing that i.e.: saving autofit clones... So, yeah, mostly a complete user friendly users manual with step by step screenshots and a lot of visual references when dealing with shaders, Iray and lighting, showing visually the differences each setting makes. Detailed instructions for the advanced capabilities, sub-d, geographs, shader baking, and so many things I haven't even found yet but I see mentioned in the forums by advanced users. I don't even understand what half the things are that people are requesting here, but I'd like to know what they are, what they do and how to use them. I feel like DS is part of a secret elite club and you have to go on a scavenger hunt to figure out how to get in... I suggested before in another thread, maybe making a manual available on Amazon if Daz wants to make money on it and is afraid of piracy of a PDF.  I have spent a lot of money on products, I would certainly pay for a manual on how to actually use them to their full capacity, I'd even buy a hard copy if that was available... If the program is expanding and adding more bells and whistles, great! But please have a way new users can actually learn the program. Thanks.

Yes!

Richard Haseltine could probably write the manual himself, given a year or so. Hey, Richard, start a Kickstarter! I'd buy in!

This.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,323

I'd like the Scene tab's selection to be fixed. It often selects tons of items my mouse wasn't even near. Not sure why it does that.

I would go for a lightwave import too. Especially for morphs. I would write one, but not sure if that's possible. I have all the code here for loading objects that I wrote myself. Is there an API for imports? I'd like the texture settings to be updated on export as well.

+ 1. laugh

Better .obj import would be nice. And a good dynamic clothes system (I think this has been said 15.000.000 times in this thread...). No Iray only; please keep 3DL. And the manual download.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    caravelle said:

I would go for a lightwave import too. Especially for morphs. I would write one, but not sure if that's possible. I have all the code here for loading objects that I wrote myself. Is there an API for imports? I'd like the texture settings to be updated on export as well.

+ 1. laugh

Better .obj import would be nice. And a good dynamic clothes system (I think this has been said 15.000.000 times in this thread...). No Iray only; please keep 3DL. And the manual download.

...+1 (so that's 15,000,001 votes for cloth dynamics).

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,559
    edited July 2016

I'm also longing for a Poser style morph brush to push a little bit of geometry around. It was awsome to be able to shink morph clothing and put in creases. And also morph depressions onto beds, pillows and chairs etc.

Post edited by fred9803 on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    caravelle said:

+ 1. laugh

kyoto kid said:
    caravelle said:

+ 1. laugh

...+1 (so that's 15,000,001 votes for cloth dynamics).

VWD currently available for Poser; it will be available for Daz soon; the bridge which takes the items into VWD from Daz is currently in beta.

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

I would like to see a way to connect actions within puppeteer. For example, each figure has its own layer in puppeteer. I want a way to synchronously plot those actions on the timeline between different layers or even different characters.

First off I don't use puppeteer in the traditional sense, I find it creates poor animation that way, instead I use it to create keyframes which I manually lay down on the timeline.

Often I will create a bunch of different keyframes within puppeteer for 1 character, and then for a 2nd character I will create corresponding actions mapped in a separate layer.

Then when i put the action on the timeline, I have to manually jump back and forth to put the keyframes down for each character. If there was a way to assign numbers to poses plotted in puppeteer, and then have an option to drop all of pose # 1 from all layers from puppeteer onto the timeline at frame 15 for example, and then drop all of pose #2 from all layers at frame 30, etc. It would make animating complex character interactions so much easier.

I could probably illustrate this much easier with a diagram. Essentially it would be like "onion skinning" within puppeteer, for anyone familiar with cell animation.

• A few things:

1. The 'Gray Box of Doom' (a.k.a. DS whining: 'I-I can't FIND it!): Could we have a button option on the gray box to FIND the Items that DS can't find? Please?
    2. Related to above: A 'Search selected folder' button/option. Point DS in the direction of where the missing items are, and let it search/locate.
    3. If certain items (say, something 'data' related) has been moved out of the correct folder, DS could give us a head's up after the Find...and suggest where it SHOULD be. "Do you want to move this here?" If the User says YES, it copies the misplaced item/folder to the CORRECT spot & then DELETES the copy in the wrong spot.
    4. As stated earlier, fix the drag/drop function in DS...would make it easier to organize content.

That's all that comes to mind for the moment. :)

Greg

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100

A few things:

1. The 'Gray Box of Doom' (a.k.a. DS whining: 'I-I can't FIND it!): Could we have a button option on the gray box to FIND the Items that DS can't find? Please?
    2. Related to above: A 'Search selected folder' button/option. Point DS in the direction of where the missing items are, and let it search/locate.
    3. If certain items (say, something 'data' related) has been moved out of the correct folder, DS could give us a head's up after the Find...and suggest where it SHOULD be. "Do you want to move this here?" If the User says YES, it copies the misplaced item/folder to the CORRECT spot & then DELETES the copy in the wrong spot.
    4. As stated earlier, fix the drag/drop function in DS...would make it easier to organize content.

Greg

4.9/Daz Connect actually solves those problems, for the most part.

If you are logged in and DS can't find an item, but you own it, then DS will offer to download it for you, if you don't own it, it will give you a list of products with that asaset in it, so you can get it. 

Daz Connect puts the content where it belongs so it won't get lost unless you intentionally lose it. You can organize your content through the database or by moving around shortcuts. Either way the content does not get lost. 

No reason to actually more the files so they no longer get moved out of the place where they belong. 

I haven't seen an issue with drag and drop, if there is a specific problem please file a support ticket so we can take a look. :) 

• A few things:

Greg

4.9/Daz Connect actually solves those problems, for the most part.

If you are logged in and DS can't find an item, but you own it, then DS will offer to download it for you, if you don't own it, it will give you a list of products with that asset in it, so you can get it. 

Daz Connect puts the content where it belongs so it won't get lost unless you intentionally lose it. You can organize your content through the database or by moving around shortcuts. Either way the content does not get lost. 

No reason to actually move the files so they no longer get moved out of the place where they belong. 

I haven't seen an issue with drag and drop, if there is a specific problem please file a support ticket so we can take a look. :) 

For the past few years, I've been trying repeatedly to organize things/folders in the DS interface so it's more logical to me.

I recently started to do a new, clean 'My Library' install (logging in and having DIS download & install things... I then tried to consolidate the different runtimes (For Sets, BelBel/ChibiBel, etc.) by copying thier contents BACK to the proper folders in 'My Library'...

It WORKED...to a DEGREE... but as I opened a few older scenes recently, I was greeted with a 'laundry list' of missing connections in the file. MOST of them were broken links to images used in the file. DAZ Connect would be able to help search my HD to find THAT? (If I'm understanding you correctly, I hope?) That would be a Godsend... :)

As far as Dragging folders in the GUI (I've got DS 4.9.0.63 Pro on a Mac)...It doesn't seem to work on my machine. The items, if dragged, seem to make a copy. :(

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    It WORKED...to a DEGREE... but as I opened a few older scenes recently, I was greeted with a 'laundry list' of missing connections in the file. MOST of them were broken links to images used in the file.

When you say "images used in the file" do you mean you've been moving texture files? You should only be moving files in folders that are visible and accessible in the Content Library tab — moving anything else is a waste of time and effort, since the non-content files can't be seen anyway. The only purpose of doing this is to break your content.

DAZ Connect would be able to help search my HD to find THAT?

That isn't how Connect works; it doesn't "search your HD" to find moved/missing files, it downloads a completely new copy of the product and installs it in a parallel content structure — your item is installed twice.

• LaughingVulcanLaughingVulcan Posts: 77
    edited July 2016
    When you say "images used in the file" do you mean you've been moving texture files? You should only be moving files in folders that are visible and accessible in the Content Library tab — moving anything else is a waste of time and effort, since the non-content files can't be seen anyway. The only purpose of doing this is to break your content.

That isn't how Connect works; it doesn't "search your HD" to find moved/missing files, it downloads a completely new copy of the product and installs it in a parallel content structure — your item is installed twice.

Yup. I was working on image maps in the past, and tended to put them in temp folders on the Desktop. Eventually, I moved the images into Runtime —> Textures and then deleted the Desktop folder they were in...so DAZ was still looking for the now-gone folder.  (If I was working with Poser CR2's & such, I'd likely go into a text editor and fix the links manually, if I needed to, but I'm still not totally sure on how the .DUF's are worded, so I'm not touching them outside of the program. sad )

I generally don't touch 'data', AGAIN since I don't know for sure how everything works and why, but I figure the problems I had with auto-adapted files showing up on the GreyBox as 'missing' may be due to the fact that I seperated my content for a while down into multiple Runtimes (in an attempt to organize/simplify...it didn't seem to work any better, so I was undoing it).

I likely DID break parts of it...but not intentionally. frown *facepalm*

Re: Connect — Oh, okay. I really didn't know anything about Connect, as I haven't used it. Thanks for clarifying, SpottedKitty. laugh

I just want DAZ Studio to give me an option in the 'grey box' so I can go search for the files it can't find...(however the links were broken). That 'find' function is available in
    a WHOLE bunch of programs: Adobe InDesign™...(it WAS available in Macromedia FreeHand™) I THINK it's available in Illustrator™, It's in Microsoft Word™...AND...most importantly, DAZ's competitor, Poser™. I think (hope) it would be a simple tweak to the DAZ Studio GUI to turn the 'Missing' grey box into a regular 'Find Links' box.

ORRRRR... wink

In LIEU of fixing the 'Grey box', maybe we could get an items palette, where we can go to to re-link textures or geometry? Sound good? :D

Be well and keep creating, guys. cheeky

Greg

Post edited by LaughingVulcan on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I'd like to be able to re-render only a select small area, to change one thing. I use canvas which is an improvement, but I'd like to just be able to say... Re-render a 1 or 2 inch sqare area I Can select.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

By not having your temp texture files in a mapped Studio library the path to them in the scene was absolute instead of relative.  Don't blame DAZ because you did something wrong.

• I'd like to be able to re-render only a select small area, to change one thing. I use canvas which is an improvement, but I'd like to just be able to say... Re-render a 1 or 2 inch sqare area I Can select.

You can do this with the Spot Render tool - use the Tool Settings pane to tell it to render to a new window.

• When you say "images used in the file" do you mean you've been moving texture files? You should only be moving files in folders that are visible and accessible in the Content Library tab — moving anything else is a waste of time and effort, since the non-content files can't be seen anyway. The only purpose of doing this is to break your content.

Yup. I was working on image maps in the past, and tended to put them in temp folders on the Desktop. Eventually, I moved the images into Runtime —> Textures and then deleted the Desktop folder they were in...so DAZ was still looking for the now-gone folder.  (If I was working with Poser CR2's & such, I'd likely go into a text editor and fix the links manually, if I needed to, but I'm still not totally sure on how the .DUF's are worded, so I'm not touching them outside of the program. sad )

I generally don't touch 'data', AGAIN since I don't know for sure how everything works and why, but I figure the problems I had with auto-adapted files showing up on the GreyBox as 'missing' may be due to the fact that I seperated my content for a while down into multiple Runtimes (in an attempt to organize/simplify...it didn't seem to work any better, so I was undoing it).

I likely DID break parts of it...but not intentionally. frown *facepalm*

Re: Connect — Oh, okay. I really didn't know anything about Connect, as I haven't used it. Thanks for clarifying, SpottedKitty. laugh

I just want DAZ Studio to give me an option in the 'grey box' so I can go search for the files it can't find...(however the links were broken). That 'find' function is available in
    a WHOLE bunch of programs: Adobe InDesign™...(it WAS available in Macromedia FreeHand™) I THINK it's available in Illustrator™, It's in Microsoft Word™...AND...most importantly, DAZ's competitor, Poser™. I think (hope) it would be a simple tweak to the DAZ Studio GUI to turn the 'Missing' grey box into a regular 'Find Links' box.

ORRRRR... wink

In LIEU of fixing the 'Grey box', maybe we could get an items palette, where we can go to to re-link textures or geometry? Sound good? :D

Be well and keep creating, guys. cheeky

Greg

It does exist in current versions of DAZ Studio, but it may not show up under some circumstances that I have not completely pinned down in my use of the software.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

A few things:

Greg

It is so frustrating to see the grey boxes of doom without a search option. Then I minimize Studio, and there are the files in an open folder on my desktop. I want to scream, "They're right there, you electronic idiot!" But my cat wouldn't like the noise.

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,559

I'd like to be able to re-render only a select small area, to change one thing. I use canvas which is an improvement, but I'd like to just be able to say... Re-render a 1 or 2 inch sqare area I Can select.

You can do this with the Spot Render tool - use the Tool Settings pane to tell it to render to a new window.

Here's a tip. If you want to do this properly and have your spot render ready to past exactly onto your initial render, then don't render to Active View. Set the render tool as Richard says and use it to render your entire original scene. Then use it to spot render for the area you want to change. This way your spot render will fit exactly onto you original pic when you cut and paste it.

If you render to Active View you spot render will not fit properly when you past it.

• Petercat said:

A few things:

Greg

It is so frustrating to see the grey boxes of doom without a search option. Then I minimize Studio, and there are the files in an open folder on my desktop. I want to scream, "They're right there, you electronic idiot!" But my cat wouldn't like the noise.

THAT'S me, too...Screaming/growling at the computer...

But without the cat to scare... wink

And without the loose hair all over the place. cheeky

(At least I'm not the only one this has happened to... sad )

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

It doesn't render it at the appropriate resolution though. The image res is 2000x1000; I want to render a part of that, it would need to render what I select at the resolution proportionate to the whole image.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    nicstt said:

It doesn't render it at the appropriate resolution though. The image res is 2000x1000; I want to render a part of that, it would need to render what I select at the resolution proportionate to the whole image.

If your saying what I think you're saying, spot render to new window does that automatically

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited July 2016

Very informative. Perhaps this ability should be something easier to use or this feature made more prominent. I had no idea spot render could render at the correct resolution. You have certainly saved me some time!

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

I have a couple of new ones.

If you have an object in the scene that's set to transparent (IE, you have a posing box with the front made transparent) and then you try to select the figure within the program thinks you want to select the posing box.  One of two things can be done about this... a Ctrl click directly on the figure should allow the user to select or set up DS to ignore the front most object if it's made transparent. 

I've had to reposition many premade emmisive light sets because they show up in the render as black ugly objects.  There should be a way to make those NOT show up in the render while still emitting light if the end user so desires.