Star Trek Builders Unite 4 : In a Runtime Darkly!

Comments

• edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    ~~~ DAZ Studio Users Question ~~~

As many of you have noticed I use Rduda's sets often! (18 of 36 pages in the next MU novel takes place on the TNG bridge!)

But there is a problem, and it's either me and I'm big enough to admit it, but do any of the other DAZ Studio users have problems with any of the bridges, engineering, ready room, conference room, jail, transporter room, or medial DOORS?

Not his freebie sets, those miraculously work.

The reason I ask is upon reading the readme file of the sets and from Rduda himself, someone other than him is packageing up the sets with obscure and incompatable doors for DAZ Studio. I've asked about this and he's pointed out I'm the only one complaining.

So, I'm asking is it my DAZ Studio setup? I do my renders on two different computers and have troubles on both systems (but then both are pretty much mirror images of each other.)

I'll be the first to acknowledge there is a huge red POSER written on the site's sales page. I have some personal feeling on that but that is beside the point.

(Stay on target!)

I want to know if any other DAZ Studio user is haveing problems with the doors?

If not PLEASE tell or show me how you made them work (ie slide side to side.) If you're able to help me out of this Cranal-Anal inversion I'll put a massive credit to you in the next book to helping me. (I know it's a meager consolation prize but it's the best I can do.)

-Paul

Paul recently told me about this issue and I think I've found a solution. :)

As other people are saying, DAZ Studio welds vertices that are close to each other, which results in parts becoming welded together, which results in parts warping when they're moved.
    The solution I've discovered is to build the model with the doors in the open position instead of the closed position. The ERC dial is then reversed so the doors close instead of open.

Paul has been good enough to test the Starship Bridge 14 and he confirms that DAZ Studio isn't warping the doors. :)

Over the next few days, I'll make updated versions of all of Richard Duda's sets, including all the bridges, the sick bay, and the engineering rooms.

I'd like to offer these updated versions to all previous customers, as a free update. Just send me your name or e-mail and the transaction ID or a rough purchase date (so I can verify your purchase). I'll then send you the zip file as an attachment (around 2 to 3M in size) or a link to download it.

Many thanks. Purchased two of the bridge sets via Rendy. PM sent with details.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited August 2013

Okay I'll try this here ... if you want some nice free sets this is a temporary offer from Dreamlight.

thank you Dreamlight.

"no complaining", we give the man an email address that he can send many emails to until such time as one politely unsubscribes from said service.

There are 7 plus 1 sets ... 11 zips to download ranging in size from about 38 to 187 mb.

click here [and may need to have addblocker or things like disabled to see signup text box].

Post edited by patience55 on
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582
    edited December 1969

Love your current avatar, Druw!

Sincerely,

Bill

100 x 100 - 27K
  • PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

Just finished testing out the doors for Voyager Medical and Bridge 8.

Voyagers's doors have a slider in the parameters tab that work perfectly. Seeing if those doors can be repeated with the rest of the sets. As it stands the doors must be moved via the Translate Took (Alt Shift T).

And a bit of eye candy for the girls to show off the doors (since all we seem to post images of waaaaay more women than men.) (eh-em....that includes me too I guess).

-Paul

medical_doors_work.jpg
    686 x 887 - 315K
    Bridge_8_doors_work.jpg
    695 x 900 - 274K
  • edited December 1969

I haven't forgotten this Transporter Room model.

I added some more details to the walls, made a turbo lift, finally got started texturing the screens on the transporter console. The gym needs some exercise equipment or mats or something, to indicate it's supposed to be a gym.

Render_30.png
    1200 x 900 - 991K
    Render_27.png
    1200 x 900 - 408K
  • Eric WaltersEric Walters Posts: 233
    edited December 1969

Nice! Thanks-the Zachary Quinto Spock!

aki3 said:
    hello everyone. incase anyone missed this one :

http://www.sharecg.com/v/67243/view/11/Poser/Spock-for-m4-basese-description

jepe's Enzo textures used for this one and free skin shaders :) mylocka spock hair used too.

• edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    Love your current avatar, Druw!

Sincerely,

Bill

TY - been meaning to update it for a while :)

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186
    edited August 2013

I have updated the freebies list with the new Spock morph for the JJ Abrams Trek movies, the TMP EVA suit pack and the G2 Female Navigation poses.

Post edited by shadowhawk1 on
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251
    edited December 1969

I added some more details to the walls, made a turbo lift, finally got started texturing the screens on the transporter console. The gym needs some exercise equipment or mats or something, to indicate it's supposed to be a gym.

wow

edited December 1969

Excellent looking work! :-)

• GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,048
    edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    Just finished testing out the doors for Voyager Medical and Bridge 8.

Voyagers's doors have a slider in the parameters tab that work perfectly. Seeing if those doors can be repeated with the rest of the sets. As it stands the doors must be moved via the Translate Took (Alt Shift T).

And a bit of eye candy for the girls to show off the doors (since all we seem to post images of waaaaay more women than men.) (eh-em....that includes me too I guess).

-Paul

Thanks for the eye candy... LOL

• rdudarduda Posts: 579
    edited August 2013

Found a concept picture of the voyager bridge and thought I would give it a shot, so here it is so far... What do you think? I took a lot of liberties with the front of the bridge, since it wasn't shown in pict.

01.jpg
    776 x 769 - 40K
    02.jpg
    776 x 769 - 39K
    03.jpg
    776 x 769 - 11K
    Post edited by rduda on
    edited December 1969

Rduda said:
    Found a concept picture of the voyager bridge and thought I would give it a shot, so here it is so far... What do you think? I took a lot of liberties with the front of the bridge, since it wasn't shown in pict.

Love the way it looks so far! Can't wait to see more of it.

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited August 2013

Rduda said:

Love the way it looks so far! Can't wait to see more of it.

Bad post- skip it.

Post edited by mdbruffy on
    edited December 1969

Anyone know where I can find a font simular to the one used for the shuttlecraft in TOS and the movies?

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Anyone know where I can find a font simular to the one used for the shuttlecraft in TOS and the movies?

Maybe something here ... talshiar's zip folder has many fonts in it.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek_fonts

http://www.dafont.com/search.php?psize=m&q=federation+classic [not exact but close]

http://www.talshiar.org/Fonts/

edited August 2013

mdbruffy said:

Maybe something here ... talshiar's zip folder has many fonts in it.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek_fonts

http://www.dafont.com/search.php?psize=m&q=federation+classic [not exact but close]

http://www.talshiar.org/Fonts/

Trekker Two on the talshiar site looked close. I'll go with it. Thanks, Patience!

Post edited by mdbruffy on
    edited December 1969

You've got to me kidding me. Out of all the ships on the freebie list, we don't have a TOS Movie-era shuttlecraft?

edited December 1969

Lack of choices....

The_Shuttlecraft_George_Washington-_Phase_2.jpg
    1263 x 873 - 69K
    edited December 1969

Update:

The_Shuttlecraft_George_Washington-_Phase_3.jpg
    1263 x 873 - 73K
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    mdbruffy said:
    You've got to me kidding me. Out of all the ships on the freebie list, we don't have a TOS Movie-era shuttlecraft?

Are you talking about one of these?

That damn dashboard again!

That's oneof the 2 I found. But when I loaded it, the textures reversed. The other one I found applied the same texture to both sides.

edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    mdbruffy said:
    ssgbryan said:
    mdbruffy said:

Are you talking about one of these?

That damn dashboard again!

That's oneof the 2 I found. But when I loaded it, the textures reversed. The other one I found applied the same texture to both sides.

This one doesn't actually have textures (other than the front window), it is one of Dave Metlesits' ships from his deviantart page. I exported the .max file to the obj format. As built, one is stuck with all the lettering. I could delete all of that in Hexagon (it's how I go about kitbashing all of my ships), but I don't actually know how to go about retexturing it, since it didn't come with any textures.

Once you had the letters and numbers removed, it would have to be mapped in UV Mapper. Let me see what I can do first. The hull itself is done, I just have to build engines, a viewport and hatches. Then I can take the sections into UV Mapper.

edited December 1969

DAZ Studio Bridge updates:

Just finished testing the DAZ Studio versions for the following.

Battle Bridge
    Bridge 3
    Bridge 4
    Bridge 10
    Teleporter Room
    and Starship Medical Lab.

for those that have the JJbridge, I did some digging into the set and all the controls and doors work perfectly, they are just buried.

Once you have the set loaded, click on the set in the scene tab. Now go over to the Parameters tab and look at 'Controls'. there they are for the doors and captain's chair. the individual chairs are turned locally by clicking on each one.

I've offered to do an image tutorial for each set since us DAZ Studio users can't read...ie....we still don't have a manual!
    (Laugh it up fuzzball!)

-Paul

On a side note: just learned this and thought I'd share with the class for the D|S users. Want to up the quality of your renders? (this will add time to the render, but quality over quantity is best right? Well here goes. Go to the Render Settings, advanced tab, click on Gamma Correction, turn it on. then change the Gamma to 2.20 . From what I've tested today, I've taken my render quality in 3Delight to a few steps closer to LuxRender quality. There will be a hit in light and some other settings but with time and futzing things will look better.

As I said I just learned it today....I'm the kid that sat at the back of the class so don't pick on the slow kid please... :-)

edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    DAZ Studio Bridge updates:

Just finished testing the DAZ Studio versions for the following.

Battle Bridge
    Bridge 3
    Bridge 4
    Bridge 10
    Teleporter Room
    and Starship Medical Lab.

for those that have the JJbridge, I did some digging into the set and all the controls and doors work perfectly, they are just buried.

Once you have the set loaded, click on the set in the scene tab. Now go over to the Parameters tab and look at 'Controls'. there they are for the doors and captain's chair. the individual chairs are turned locally by clicking on each one.

I've offered to do an image tutorial for each set since us DAZ Studio users can't read...ie....we still don't have a manual!
    (Laugh it up fuzzball!)

-Paul

On a side note: just learned this and thought I'd share with the class for the D|S users. Want to up the quality of your renders? (this will add time to the render, but quality over quantity is best right? Well here goes. Go to the Render Settings, advanced tab, click on Gamma Correction, turn it on. then change the Gamma to 2.20 . From what I've tested today, I've taken my render quality in 3Delight to a few steps closer to LuxRender quality. There will be a hit in light and some other settings but with time and futzing things will look better.

As I said I just learned it today....I'm the kid that sat at the back of the class so don't pick on the slow kid please... :-)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• jaguarry3jaguarry3 Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

My latest Little project in Hexagon . Klingon Kestral Class circa 2157

Kestral.jpg
    911 x 729 - 285K
    edited December 1969

Lookin good Jag!!

edited December 1969

Some time in the next few day's I'll also be posting some free poses for the new Chris Creek character. Most of them will be for the Bridge sets I've been helping with. Hope you like them. And I'm still trying to figure out how to port them over to Poser so both sides of the house can use them.

-Paul

This discussion has been closed.