Garibaldi vs. Look At My Hair - which is better overall/better for an amateur?

Comments

• kreme_160ca55e9dkreme_160ca55e9d Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

We test LAMH on a single core Windows XP machine with 1.5G of RAM.

Kendall

Would it be correct to assume this doesn't run on a Mac?

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

kremesch said:

Kendall

Would it be correct to assume this doesn't run on a Mac?

LAMH runs perfectly on a Mac. My partner does his development for LAMH on the Mac. :-)

Kendall

• kreme_160ca55e9dkreme_160ca55e9d Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

LAMH runs perfectly on a Mac. My partner does his development for LAMH on the Mac. :-)

Kendall

Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply.

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

joea64 said:
    I decided to go with Taozen's suggestion, so I bought both LAMH and Garibaldi - on a trial basis, mind you! Whichever one I like better before the 30-day period runs out, I'll keep; the other goes back for a refund. So I'm going to put them both to the acid test and see how well they do on a Gibson-girl hairstyle.

Hey Joe, since it probably doesn't come all the times with the readme (after the installation process), I'd like to remind (also to other new users of course) that we have a large collection of presets available on our LAMH blog site, at the following address: http://www.furrythings.com/presets/

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 463
    edited May 2013

I have both Plugins and I use them both...

Either one can do what I need done...

As I have said before the first one that comes out with a full Rig attached Basically to the Nodes will have the upper hand...Or automatically attach Morphs to the Hair when you go back and forth between stylings and DS...!

Can you say animatible hair....(WORD)

Post edited by foleypro on
  • joea64_bdfaa5ca94joea64_bdfaa5ca94 Posts: 298
    edited May 2013

joea64 said:
    I decided to go with Taozen's suggestion, so I bought both LAMH and Garibaldi - on a trial basis, mind you! Whichever one I like better before the 30-day period runs out, I'll keep; the other goes back for a refund. So I'm going to put them both to the acid test and see how well they do on a Gibson-girl hairstyle.

Hey Joe, since it probably doesn't come all the times with the readme (after the installation process), I'd like to remind (also to other new users of course) that we have a large collection of presets available on our LAMH blog site, at the following address: http://www.furrythings.com/presets/

Thanks for the reminder! I'll start the proving-grounds tests sometime this weekend. (Not tomorrow, though; that's reserved for Star Trek.)

Post edited by joea64_bdfaa5ca94 on
    edited December 1969

foleypro said:
    I have both Plugins and I use them both...

Either one can do what I need done...

As I have said before the first one that comes out with a full Rig attached Basically to the Nodes will have the upper hand...Or automatically attach Morphs to the Hair when you go back and forth between stylings and DS...!

Can you say animatible hair....(WORD)

Request noted!

edited December 1969

joea64 said:
    joea64 said:

Thanks for the reminder! I'll start the proving-grounds tests sometime this weekend. (Not tomorrow, though; that's reserved for Star Trek.)

Oh the new Star Trek movie... I'm eager to watch it too, hopefully will arrive here soon as well :)

• joea64_bdfaa5ca94joea64_bdfaa5ca94 Posts: 298
    edited May 2013

joea64 said:
    joea64 said:

Oh the new Star Trek movie... I'm eager to watch it too, hopefully will arrive here soon as well :)

I know who John Harrison really is, but I ain't tellin'. ;) Can you check the manual PDF link on your features page? It's not working for me. (EDIT: Strike that - it worked OK when I downloaded it instead of trying to open it right there.)

Post edited by joea64_bdfaa5ca94 on
    edited May 2013

joea64 said:
    joea64 said:
    joea64 said:

I know who John Harrison really is, but I ain't tellin'. ;) Can you check the manual PDF link on your features page? It's not working for me. (EDIT: Strike that - it worked OK when I downloaded it instead of trying to open it right there.)

Sorry, please try again, it should work now (since I updated to latest WordPress version, I noticed some flaws).

If you have troubles, the direct link is:
    http://www.furrythings.com/LAMH.Manual.1.0.pdf

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • SaiyanessSaiyaness Posts: 715
    edited May 2013

I've used both when they were first released and unfortunately returned both because they kept crashing Daz, and even with the wonderful help from Kendall, still had the problem. Now I'm regretting it, because I downloaded the fantastic LAMH player the other day to see if it crashes and it works perfectly (about 95% of the time, unless I do something silly) and being able to tweak some of the presets would be a huge plus.

That being said, the Human Hair Shader is AWESOME guys!

The thing that attracted me to Garibaldi was that I thought the hair looked better. It also didn't crash as much as LAMH. (But I never had much luck getting it to look good...) I found LAMH easier to use though.

Anyway, the LAMH presets look great straight out of the box. So much so I totally want it again. How long does the sale go for?

What is the difference between Garibaldi and LAMH anyway? Does one have more features than the other?

Having the hair not push through the skin would still be a huge plus.

Here's a quick pic of the Dog preset on the Millennium Dog LE with the HHS applied. It's probably not supposed to be used on fur, but I like it more.

dog_big_HHS.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 317K
    Post edited by Saiyaness on
    edited December 1969

Saiyaness said:
    I've used both when they were first released and unfortunately returned both because they kept crashing Daz, and even with the wonderful help from Kendall, still had the problem. Now I'm regretting it, because I downloaded the fantastic LAMH player the other day to see if it crashes and it works perfectly (about 95% of the time, unless I do something silly) and being able to tweak some of the presets would be a huge plus.

That being said, the Human Hair Shader is AWESOME guys!

The thing that attracted me to Garibaldi was that I thought the hair looked better. It also didn't crash as much as LAMH. (But I never had much luck getting it to look good...) I found LAMH easier to use though.

Anyway, the LAMH presets look great straight out of the box. So much so I totally want it again. How long does the sale go for?

What is the difference between Garibaldi and LAMH anyway? Does one have more features than the other?

Having the hair not push through the skin would still be a huge plus.

Here's a quick pic of the Dog preset on the Millennium Dog LE with the HHS applied. It's probably not supposed to be used on fur, but I like it more.

The sale duration is controlled by DAZ, we have no idea how long it will last.

As for the differences, while both can do hair/fur, LAMH can be used for much more than just hair/fur. The 1.0 version can be used for grass, vegetation, condensation, sweat, and much more. The 1.06 version of the full plugin is imminent (now everyone knows one of the reasons for the delay) and as soon as we can get an "OK" from our testers, LAMH will do even more.

Kendall

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 463
    edited December 1969

Thats awesome Kendal..Instances...So cool...

edited December 1969

Wow...sweat? How does that work?

edited December 1969

Saiyaness said:

Select the area for the sweat as a follicle set. Assign guide hairs.
    Upon export to studio, select the option to use instances.
    Select your favorite droplet prop.
    Set the number of "Export Hairs" sufficiently small for your area (this will take experimentation)
    Export. Set the shader for a liquid (or blood, or....)

Render.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Saiyaness said:

Select the area for the sweat as a follicle set. Assign guide hairs.
    Upon export to studio, select the option to use instances.
    Select your favorite droplet prop.
    Set the number of "Export Hairs" sufficiently small for your area (this will take experimentation)
    Export. Set the shader for a liquid (or blood, or....)

Render.

EDIT: You can create a forest in a similar way. Just use your favorite landscape object as the object to use LAMH on.

Kendall

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,497
    edited December 1969

Yeah, i love instancing! I've used it to put leaves on a tree (in my case i put clover on the tree) and feathers on something. I also made the feather using LAMH, with just a skinny cube primitive and LAMH.

LAMH has so many functions and, with the right application of the tools, handles long hair pretty well. I love making hair. You can see all the long hair styles I've done.

edited December 1969

Awesome! Where can I beg Daz to keep the sale until Thursday? :p

Has the full version been updated with the Human Hair Shader?

edited December 1969

Saiyaness said:
    Awesome! Where can I beg Daz to keep the sale until Thursday? :p

Has the full version been updated with the Human Hair Shader?

Hi, based on the way previous sales went, I think it will be on sale for another day or two.

edited December 1969

not yet, when the new full version update comes out it should have the human hair shader, but for now just in the player. :) SOON (i hate to say tha but it will be there soon)

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 1969

i too have issues with the player crashing, i'm not sure if maybe it has to do with windows 8 or something else, my drivers i believe are up to date, the drivers were all downloaded online in march wheni buit the pc, but I have no internet where I live so there may be updates i should install

edited December 1969

dkgoose said:
    i too have issues with the player crashing, i'm not sure if maybe it has to do with windows 8 or something else, my drivers i believe are up to date, the drivers were all downloaded online in march wheni buit the pc, but I have no internet where I live so there may be updates i should install

What graphic card, drivers version you have? When you get a chance, if you can email me the log file, I can take a look at what's going on (info_at_alessandromastronardi.com) .
    BTW, new player update coming very soon with several fixes...

edited May 2013

BTW folks, if you like to try how Look at my Hair works instancing props, here is a tutorial that explain how to do it.

I hope my english is quite understandable there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd9EO7nCopA

The video shows how to populate a terrain with several instances by mixing flowers and plant props.
    As has been said also by Kendall, you can actually use any prop you like and thus 'fur' any object and replace hair with any geometry you like... endless possibilities...

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited May 2013

I wish I could use LAMH, but for some reason (which I assume is caused by the fact my computer isn't exactly built for 3d art creating but rather bought for gaming/some photo/music etc and it's not tailorbuilt either) Lamh keeps crashing Daz when I tried to use the free version, and the few times it didn't crash I got some strnage result with only part of the hair showing.

But as I said, I assume that is because my computer probably can't handle Lamh, so perhaps one day I be able to look into that program again :)

If you are using a machine with Intel Graphics, make sure that you have drivers newer than Dec 2012 installed.

The "only part of the hair showing" is probably that the hair counts (set in the Look at mt hair pane) are too low.

Feel free to ask questions, we're here to help

Kendall

I'm actually not sure if it is intel graphics, I'm having one of Nvidias graphic cards but that's about all I know. And I always try to keep the drivers somewhat up to date so yeah, they are newer than dec 2012 :)

However, my RAM is only 8gb which I would assume is a tad bit too low, since everything slows drastically when I tried to use Lamh.. and than it usually ended up crashing or not responding at all.

I do however like what I have seen when it comes to Lamh, but until I am able to get a better machine I think I will have to look from the distance, for now atleast :)

/C

Kendall

Hadn't seen that when I sent my response.. hmm, I'll see if I can find the info about the full spec of my computer and graphic card :)

edit 2 - this is what I can find, and I'm sorry for the sucky translating.. my system is in swedish so I am hoping I managed to translate things into understandable english *blush*

Classification - 5.9 Prestanda classifaction

Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90 GHz

RAM - 8,00GB

Systemtype - 64-bit OS Windows 7 Home Premium

Graphic card - GeForce GT 530 version 314.22

But yeah, when I tried using the free player it slowed the machine even more than when I use several lights in scene. And either it crashed on the spot or the hair came out as not existing and than it crashed. I'm sorry I don't have any log files to send, but as I assumed it was my machine that couldn't handle the program I just uninstalled the Lamh palyer and decided to try it out again once I had a new machine

/C

Post edited by Carola O on
    edited May 2013

Hi Carola,

in the upcoming LAMH update (both player and full version) we've spent lot of time optimizing memory consumption and how data is used and released. I'm confident that it will certainly run faster and use resources more wisely.
    You might want to check out the new player update, which will be released soon, I believe with 8G you'll be good to go with it...

edited December 1969

I will give it a go, and if it doesn't work out I will try to remember to keep a log file so we can figure out what I (or my computer) is doing wrong ^^ any idea when soon is? *whistles innocently*

edited December 1969

I will give it a go, and if it doesn't work out I will try to remember to keep a log file so we can figure out what I (or my computer) is doing wrong ^^ any idea when soon is? *whistles innocently*

If all goes as planned, we should be able to pull out the new player within a week.

edited December 1969

If all goes as planned, we should be able to pull out the new player within a week.

I'll be picking it up and giving it a go than :) thanks for taking the time to respond and trying to figure out things *hugs*

edited December 1969

if you have trouble figuring out how to do something just ask! :)

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 1969

I went ahead and purchased it, I will try getting a log file when I get home, if i get one with the plugin like i did with the player, and put it on my laptop so i can send from work tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to play with it when i get home tonight, are there any text tutorials for the plugin or just the video ones?

dkgoose said:

What graphic card, drivers version you have? When you get a chance, if you can email me the log file, I can take a look at what's going on (info_at_alessandromastronardi.com) .
    BTW, new player update coming very soon with several fixes...