Let’s Make Clothing! Tutorial thread. Shoes too!

Comments

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

I now have my genesis all set to go, looks like fun already,.. just one welded mesh, and no hidden original with all the parts left intact for later reference, as when preparing the dummy with the older figures :)

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited May 2013

Okay ... Opening Hexagon [starts fresh, no memory of previous mats], import the new clothing dummy.

Freeze the dummy.

And let's take a look at a few different ways to start the mesh.

As the end result is basically the same no matter which way one starts an item, how one proceeds is basically personal preference.

005.png
    1008 x 565 - 104K
    004.png
    924 x 589 - 113K
    003.png
    1020 x 587 - 172K
    002.png
    907 x 586 - 122K
    001.png
    1215 x 600 - 109K
    Post edited by patience55 on
    edited May 2013

Rule number one with working in Hexagon is "save OFTEN". Can't be over emphasized.

Save As to start, and "save" to save.
    Save after any "hay I like" that moment.
    Save before answering the telephone.
    Incre save "very often".

When finished one part/section/item ... "save" ... do a little something/anything, "incre save" then start the next part/section/item and carry on.
    Why is so that if/when one wishes they hadn't changed something, one can always go back to the previous incre save and start again.

When nearing the end of a project ... learn from others and save yourselves some headaches ... "export out an .obj file" ... then in the worst case scenario, you can start off with that. Worst case scenario is when [not if sadly] "occasionally" Hexagon decides to "eat the file". Sometimes one can go back quite a few saves only to find that whatever was causing the problem, may have invalidated quite the collection. So don't be shy about closing Hexagon every now and then, opening it and opening up the last save. Be sure you're working on a good file.

One will find that many problems with Hexagon do subside as one learns what their copy of Hexagon will or won't do, and possibly why, on their system. So not to be discouraged, it has a user friendly interface for many people and providing one isn't expecting it to be what it isn't, one can model some very nice items with it. When one wins the Lottery, one can buy Max. [I can dream too]

009a.png
    510 x 489 - 49K
    009.png
    499 x 472 - 31K
    008.png
    770 x 484 - 91K
    007.png
    843 x 521 - 108K
    006.png
    920 x 469 - 107K
    edited December 1969

The cylinder is also a good shape to start modeling items with.

Was trying some ideas out for making V3 a triax model to see if we could get Hexagon to make the groups for us, but it doesn't look like it.
    Would be interesting if we could as most know, grouping for the older figures is a pain.

Okay ... there's a new release for D/S4.6 with a yucky splash screen - they refuse to comprehend the need to change it.
    So experience will be their teacher I am sure.

Also, pre-release Hexagon tutorials are being sold ... hmmm ...

Big holiday this long weekend.
    Enjoy the summer ;-)

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Dreamlight has a new Hexagon revisted class, includes how to model outfits for genesis.
    http://www.dream-lounge.com/dreamlightclub/hr/

edited December 1969

Not into prepaying for stuff not yet released myself. That plate that moved yesterday was pretty big you know. Somehow if I buy something, want it on my computer stat.

Anyhow ... onward and upwards ...

Ta-Dah!

I have a few images to edit ;-)

0091.png
    1357 x 790 - 127K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Looks great Patience! :-)

edited December 1969

Thank you. Did you notice the figure? That was made from the original free mesh!

edited December 1969

No, just assumed it was Genesis. I don't usually get into playing with other figures these days since Genesis is the main figure that can be just about anything.

edited December 1969

I made an English style waistcoat from about 1750, suppose it looks a bit like a simple dress :) I do not know how the buttons will work but am sure everything will all be fine in the end.
    I am not sure I understand about the figure you have got there Patience what is the original free mesh.

screen-0.png
    1260 x 788 - 459K
    edited May 2013

I made an English style waistcoat from about 1750, suppose it looks a bit like a simple dress :) I do not know how the buttons will work but am sure everything will all be fine in the end.
    I am not sure I understand about the figure you have got there Patience what is the original free mesh.

Nice waistcoat!

V3 ;-) As several people are rather attached to V3 thought I'd try something a little different. Certainly not a perfect solution but for the occasional still suppose it might be of interest at least that it can be done. I was working with the V3 blank and posed to make this. On another computer was trying with the full V3 but that computer doesn't have the Hexagon <>D/S4.x bridge and sadly all exports out of D/S were of the default "T" instead of some poses :-(

Anyway ... for buttons, underneath them, need lots of mesh! And the edge corners may require corner line extractions to keep their shape through the smoothing in D/S4.x

@ any/all Before agonizing over the final uvmaps and shading domains, it's a good idea to throw the intended clothing item over to Genesis and just make the clothing [not save it, just make it] and check for any mesh anomalies.

I'm about 1/2 way through editing a few images ;-)

edit to add: Just a thought.
    Haven't quite pegged 'what or why' but grouping .obj in Hexagon sometimes doesn't have the desired after effect in D/S.

For eg. with the buttons, one could weld them all together, even with the waistcoat so that there's only "1" clothing item to import into D/S.
    Using "Shading Domains", all the buttons could be each given their own space on the CheckerT as well as the back and front [however you were planning to flatten it out].

edited December 1969

Thank you Patience,
    Lots of mesh underneath the buttons, I had not thought about that, at the moment they are not solid, just half of a geodesic cube sphere, I thought that would be sufficient do you think They will be better as solid mesh, or do you mean that the coat has to be denser in that area. I will test it out now in Daz anyway as you suggest. I am not with it at all today.:blank:
    It took me a wee while to work out that by "own space on the CheckerT" you are talking about the UV Mapping :) I fear I am getting a little slow on the uptake lately :-S now where did I put my specs.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited May 2013

To stop buttons from sinking into the mesh, you need to make the underlying mesh much more dense than the rest. Ie the waistcoat part under the buttons need to be denser. Buttons don't need to be solid either.:-)

Post edited by Wilmap on
    edited May 2013

Ahh, thanks Wendy that will give me something to play with this evening, the mesh is a bit bent around the pocket flaps too and needs tweaking or separating or something :)

Post edited by TapiocaTundra on
    edited December 1969

Tried to get an example but Hexie crashed, the corner edges ... say one did an extraction all around and there's a line from the corner point to the inside lines; select that little diagonal line and extract edges around it. Then corners will hold through smoothing.

I don't know about buttons, but for some certain items wore on uniforms, they may need to be solid and certainly as well modeled as anything else just to hold their shape through various fits.

edited December 1969

Finally! New tutorial is uploaded: DA link

It's about 52mb in size. Lots of pictures as usual.

It does show how/where to add that tessellation so corners will stay sharp.

edited December 1969

Fabulous. Thanks so much Patience! Hugs

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Fabulous. Thanks so much Patience! Hugs

You're welcome. Hope it helps.

edited December 1969

HU for those watching for the Sickle Rigging and Morphing System. 60% off for a price of $11.98

Sickleyield's store is on 'flash sale' atm.

Hundreds of mb for the $, .pdf manual, forum support, great deal!

• drcharbonneaudrcharbonneau Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

These form fitting cutoff shorts were made by selecting the faces in that region, duplicating them, separating them to another object and layer, then adding edges, faces, extruding the loops and the fly. I don't have a good selection of textures built up and a few faces need to be tweaked out of the figure's surfaces, still, it does work for stretch fit clothing.

Disadvantage? Lots of hand work adding edges and faces.

Advantages? All the figure's basic contours match up.

The fly was made by deleting a strip of faces, then tweaking, transforming and extruding the two edges till they overlapped. Yes, I'll give the shorts a button and a zipper and some seams and pockets... maybe a few strands frayed from the cut-off pant legs... ;)

jennyshorts2.JPG
    497 x 630 - 37K
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

^Did you copy mesh from the base figure, or a quicksuit? If you copied from the mesh directly, I hope you don't plan on distributing as it would be a no no.

edited June 2013

I'm simply demonstrating that it can be done. I doubt if I'll ever distribute the model. It would make no sense anyway. In answer to your question, it is taken from a high res 1 mesh.

This is how I start. As can be seen, (someone mentioned before, too...) some faces are missed, especially where everything converges around the nipple. The edges start ragged. From this point, I'll delete unwanted faces till the top garment itself is aesthetically symmetrical. After that I'll repair any missing areas, then add verts, extrude them to edges and make faces.

I don't remember whether it was in DAZ forum or elsewhere that it is important to be certain double-face in object data is unchecked. Look at my performance meters to the right. I grabbed them in the shot so it is known that Blender is intensive with the CPU, the RAM or both. So far, the software hasn't crashed my machine and at worst-case-scenario, it bogs down to a near standstill for as long as an hour, then responds again. When I get the hair on the figure, other objects and the environment, I'm guessing this whole scene will be an hour or so to render on this machine.

jennytop1.JPG
    1195 x 627 - 118K
    Post edited by drcharbonneau on
    edited December 1969

What are your pc specs? Blender does nothing to my computer, and I've got double-sided normals on. This is just a straight DAE export from Daz of Genesis, imported to Blender. Ignore the armature, lol.

Genesis_blender.jpg
    1926 x 1080 - 560K
    edited December 1969

All I have in this laptop is 2.0Ghz CPU & 4Gb RAM, 500Gb HD. No video card or such. I've found workarounds to memory/performance constraints of the machine itself. For all I know there's a worm or Trojan somewhere in the background that's gone undetected. I'm not complaining...

As for Genesis, the way the User Agreement is worded involves the basic Genesis mesh. I believe it states that once the user changes it, especially to the degree of cutting out chunks and modifying those even more, there's no copyright infringement. If you morph Genesis significantly, it is no longer the same mesh. Once it is exported as an object, especially remodeled, it no longer has its DAZ characteristics. No rigging. No weight map. Maybe materials or a UV Map. In fact it's easier in Blender if materials don't come in the package.

As for me, I doubt if I'll ever distribute objects unless they are something modeled Open. Since I'm illustrating a novel I've written and making renderings for presentations, I'd be more apt to distribute those. If I'm not rendering in DAZ or using what they supplied in 4.5pro as a repertoire of library items, it would be absurd for them to claim any rights to my renderings any more than Grumbacher has any rights to my paintings because I use their paint or brushes or canvases.

That being said though, I'll be certain to rig in Blender and pose there for any renderings I'd make that would be subject to distribution. As of now DAZ Studio is a convenience of learning, but there may come a time when I buy their suite of products. For now, I've found this is an interesting way to make some simple clothes.

Next time I'm planning on trying some of Patience55's techniques, only applied to Blender. Eventually I intend to learn rigging in DS as well, but I think it wise for now to concentrate on the Blender...

edited June 2013

I don't think the EULA means what you think it does, but I could be wrong. You can't distribute any portion of the actual mesh, which include derivitives (which is what you're talking about- distorting the actual base mesh). What you can do is model something around the mesh (without using any form of shrinkwrap/re-topology stuff or w/e), bring your obj into daz, use the transfer utility to get a better fit against Genesis, then re-export your re-formed item out and keep working on it.

You're free to do what you want with your renderings and animations. There is no mesh being distributed in those cases.

If you plan on rigging clothing in DS, the store has Genesis donor rigs that come highly suggested. It cuts out a lot of middle fluff so to speak in transferring the Genesis rigging to your clothing. It comes with a tutorial as well.

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-basic-clothing-rig-kit

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Excuse me folks ... I am going to ask that we all refrain from using/showing/illustrating anything that can be construed as 'bending the rules'.

This is a thread for any and all, esp. beginners learning "how to make clothing" LEGALLY [for sure and for certain].

We do NOT use topology, shrinkwrap, as we are not GeoGrafting that's also not part of the discussion.

While laws may vary some from country to country ... generally speaking [and not as a lawyer], a derivative of anything carries the SAME copyright as the original. If one wishes to make derivative clothing items that belong to Daz3d ... let us keep that topic for between those individuals and Daz3d.com. Thank you.

edited June 2013

^Sorry. I only had Genesis in Blender as I was reading a process on getting Genesis into it using Collada for morphing purposes.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    ^Sorry. I only had Genesis in Blender as I was reading a process on getting Genesis into it using Collada for morphing purposes.

That's okay ... and good luck with the morphing. I've tried a few programs and no dice. Sticking with Hexagon for Genesis' morphs.

edited December 1969

Alright ... in the store is an item that is a MR. Puppet MR Resource Base

So for those wishing to start with a figure, not somebody else's starter suit, there is this figure.

n.b. no we cannot or do not make a new Genesis with it. Trust me, it's not that great a puppet.

Okay ... import the Genesis Dress Dummy and said Puppet Resource ... make the relevant parts to be where desired on Genesis and then delete the rest of the Puppet.

And as it's your puppet, one doesn't have to credit another vendor in their product readme.

002.png
    977 x 474 - 131K
    001.png
    859 x 547 - 88K
    edited December 1969

My apology, Patience.

This discussion has been closed.