Luxus for Carrara alpha release available - Luxrender in Carrara

Comments

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

In fact, lets just go ahead and make it available. I am in the middle of doing adding the LuxRender special textures, but stability of Load and Save is important.
    -> http://sphericlabs.com/carrara/Luxus.zip

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

in the shader room,. you should select the "top level" of the shader,. and change it to (Lux Surface)

Once you've done that,. you can select the next level down, and add a Lux Material from the menu list.

In any Diffuse, or Colour channel,. you can select "Texture map" from the menu, and then browse to load your textures.

Carrara saves the location of the texture maps used in shaders,. then tries to load them from that location when the scene is loaded.
    So,. for my little test scene ZIP,.. i just dumped the texture maps into the Zip file, along with the carrara scene file.

This means that wherever you unzipped the files to,. is where you'll need to browse to, to find, and load the textures.
    My bad :(

The shader preview doesn't work very well with Lux shaders right now. hopefully that's something which can be worked on.

There's also some info for setting up the shaders a few posts back in this thread.

pics....

lux_shader_setup2.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 235K
    lux_shader_setup1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 224K
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the update Spheric Labs

I also managed to download the zip this time :)

Apologies to all for the scene / shaders,,
    setting them up again should be relatively easy, ..most of them were "Lux matte" which should be the same , and you should be able to load the texture maps from wherever you've unzipped them.

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

@ 3DAGE

Thank you for the test scene files
    I'm not sure about those whit dots tho

5th_test.PNG
    1913 x 818 - 1M
  • rk66rk66 Posts: 433
    edited December 1969

Hi,

Luxus has received a little update (the missing map field for Lux Infinite).

http://carraracafe.com/forum-3/#cid=1,tid=30

rk.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited December 1969

Issues with white dots is called fireflies and common with unbiased renderers, usually a problem with the lighting or the settings.
    Sometimes post processing is needed to fix it, but in this case, the unrealistic sharp shadows indicate unrealistic lights that may be the issue.
    Or the choice of "path" instead of "bidir" surf integrator with the glass.

edited December 1969

Fireflies .. PITA,. but endemic to these render engines,....
    Given enough time,. they'll fix themselves,. but depending on your system, and settings, it can take hours to get a final render without fireflies.

checking / changing lights and shaders setting can help too.

have a look at the noise reduction setting in the Lux render GUI

noise.jpg
    1208 x 862 - 269K
    edited December 1969

Something to try on later builds maybe:

Fireflies

With regards to fireflies, a new setting has been added for firefly rejection. This setting should be available in your exporter, but if it is not, you can add it manually to the scene file. This setting goes in the "Film" area of the .lxs file and shouldn't need to go over 10. In fact I found that even a setting of 1 produced great results. There is a speed hit but if your scene has fireflies in it, this is worth it.
    "integer outlierrejection_k" [1]

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/New_User_Tips_and_Tricks#Fireflies

• jimmytshirtjimmytshirt Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

I appear to be losing my UV coordinates when I export to Lux. I've been sticking with OBJs, mostly Poser/DAZ stuff.
    I'm starting the trees with Lux Surface, then Lux Matte with the corresponding texture map plugged into the color channel.
    Am I missing a step???

• rk66rk66 Posts: 433
    edited April 2013

Hi,

new build online.

Link: http://carraracafe.com/forum-3/#cid=1,tid=30

Spheric Labs writes:

"Changes:

- All options for materials should now be visible.

- All the texures of the 1.0 spec implemented (exception band and multimix)

- Added Mac Build. Install/Copy LuxRender such that there is a folder right next to your Extenstions folder called LuxRender that contains the LuxRender application.

Win64 - http://sphericlabs.com/carrara/Win64/Luxus.zip

Mac64 - http://sphericlabs.com/carrara/Mac64/Luxus.zip

Todo:

- Bump, Normal, and Displacement maps.

- A decent autotranslation

- some error checking before handoff to LuxRender. For example, you can plug a float texture into a color slot.

- Carrara Instances as LuxRender instances

- Various UI and workflow improvements including choosing where LuxRender is."

rk.

Post edited by rk66 on
    edited April 2013

I appear to be losing my UV coordinates when I export to Lux. I've been sticking with OBJs, mostly Poser/DAZ stuff.
    I'm starting the trees with Lux Surface, then Lux Matte with the corresponding texture map plugged into the color channel.
    Am I missing a step???

Can you please show some screenshot to describe the problem and/or try with a test texture like this?
    http://s183.photobucket.com/user/meo3000/media/UV_mapper.jpg.html
    First a Carrara render, there a Luxus render.

Maybe a bug, maybe a difference between Carrara and Luxrender, maybe...

Post edited by 3drendero on
    edited December 1969

Here's a quick example of the issue I'm running into.
    For the Lux export, I converted all domains to Lux Surface with Lux Matte as the material. I plugged the corresponding texture maps into the Color channel of the Matte material.
    I should probably try a simple object modeled and mapped right in Carrara, huh!

MappingEx1.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 300K
    edited December 1969

Yes, a simple model to would be easier for trying to find the bug.
    Updated the diagnostic texture link http://s183.photobucket.com/user/meo3000/media/UV_mapper.jpg.html

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,240
    edited December 1969

I tried messing with this. I was truly determined that I was going to try it out.
    As simple as the instructions that I've found here at at the Cafe seem... it was still to vague unless I had a lot more time to dedicate to experimenting with the new entire shader setup. I simply don't have enough time without a complete explanation of each of the shader enrties... including which I have access to, and what they do compared to Carrara's shaders so I can set something up.

Frankly, I'm not going to set a ball on a plane. I'm going to render a person with a small scene at the very least - otherwise it's not really a test for what I do.

Please understand that I am very interested. I'm just too busy to spend this much time guessing.
    I do want to try it. But I just don't know what all works - and what I really need to do.

What I DO know:
    Go through every shader in the scene and set up a Lux shader at the top level, and make sure that the first material is Lux Matte with a texture. Beyond that, I don't know where to go from there to set alpha or transparency, bump texture, highlight or specular texture and the angle which the effect takes palce (Shininess in Carrara). And there's a word in there with a slider... what do I do with that? Like the Lux Matte... you ad a texture and there's some word that I don't recall ever seeing before... with a slider from 1-100 underneath the texture map.

edited December 1969

Hi JimmyTshirt :)

what program are you exporting the OBJ from. ?

The OBJ's UV's shouldn't be effected by importing into Carrara,. or changing the shaders to Lux,.. but what may be happening is that the UV Tiling for that texture map is wrong.

edited December 1969

I tried messing with this. I was truly determined that I was going to try it out.
    As simple as the instructions that I've found here at at the Cafe seem... it was still to vague unless I had a lot more time to dedicate to experimenting with the new entire shader setup. I simply don't have enough time without a complete explanation of each of the shader enrties... including which I have access to, and what they do compared to Carrara's shaders so I can set something up.

Frankly, I'm not going to set a ball on a plane. I'm going to render a person with a small scene at the very least - otherwise it's not really a test for what I do.

Please understand that I am very interested. I'm just too busy to spend this much time guessing.
    I do want to try it. But I just don't know what all works - and what I really need to do.

What I DO know:
    Go through every shader in the scene and set up a Lux shader at the top level, and make sure that the first material is Lux Matte with a texture. Beyond that, I don't know where to go from there to set alpha or transparency, bump texture, highlight or specular texture and the angle which the effect takes palce (Shininess in Carrara). And there's a word in there with a slider... what do I do with that? Like the Lux Matte... you ad a texture and there's some word that I don't recall ever seeing before... with a slider from 1-100 underneath the texture map.

Sounds like I need to get auto-translation working next.

edited December 1969

Not necessarily - if theres a read me someone could link me to? I love setting up shaders. I'm just a bit lost right now. Like... out of all of those channels... do they all work? If so... which does what.
    I did peruse to find stuff... but I'm just dead by that time of day. A single list - even in text form would help someone like me tremendously.
    Well I haven't looked at the Lux Render site yet... do they explain what these channels do? Sorry... new to this. I'm a huge Carrara render engine fan and have been engrossed in it since I bought it.
    edited December 1969

Not necessarily - if theres a read me someone could link me to? I love setting up shaders. I'm just a bit lost right now. Like... out of all of those channels... do they all work? If so... which does what.
    I did peruse to find stuff... but I'm just dead by that time of day. A single list - even in text form would help someone like me tremendously.
    Well I haven't looked at the Lux Render site yet... do they explain what these channels do? Sorry... new to this. I'm a huge Carrara render engine fan and have been engrossed in it since I bought it.

Sounds like some explanation is next :)

Let me write a very long post.

edited December 1969

I like those... especially writing them.
    No. Really. Ask anyone! ;-)

edited December 1969

---- Lux Surface ---
    This is the top most surface. Its purpose is to provide a place for the various inputs that can affect a LuxRender mesh.

Inputs
    - Material
    - Interior
    - Exterior
    - Area Light

Material is by far the most commonly used input. Stick a Lux Material into this input. If the material is entirely opaque, then Interior and Exterior wont really matter. For an idea of what each of the different type of materials are capable of see
    -> http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Materials

Interior defines what happens to the light as it travels inside the mesh. This can happen if the material is something that is transparent or translucent to some degree. The most common use here is glass. Although you can specify glass in the material, the better approach is to use glass2(newer) and then specify the volume on the interior. At this time there are only two recommend types for volumes
    -> http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Volumes

For clear glass, set your Material above to Lux Glass2, and set your Interior to Lux Clear, and then set your index of refraction of your Interior to common glass. Luxus supports Carrara's way of settings index of refraction, so this should help. This will cause the light as it passes through the glass to be affected as real glass would.

Exterior is used when you have a "volume inside a volume" or a "volume partially inside a volume". I have yet to use it, but its there.

Area Light is a slot for the Lux AreaLight material. It causes your surface to truly emit light. Any mesh is capable of become a light. As of the time of this writing, I forgot the gain option on the light, but this can be adjusted in the LuxRender GUI as it renders.

---- Lux Cloth ------------
    The best explanation is here
    -> http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9149

Inputs:
    - Warp Diffuse
    - Warp Specular
    - Weft Diffuse
    - Weft Specular

Cloth simulates threads woven according to the pattern(not visible in the UI. so you are stuck with denim). Warp threads go one way, Weft go the other. Normally you only need to set colors on the Diffuse Channels and a little specular on the others.

---- more to come --------

edited December 1969

Thank you for the update.
    Made a new article/blog to collect all the info in one place:
    http://carraracafe.com/luxus-the-luxrender-plugin-for-carrara-developmentdocumentation-blog/

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Hi JimmyTshirt :)

what program are you exporting the OBJ from. ?

The OBJ's UV's shouldn't be effected by importing into Carrara,. or changing the shaders to Lux,.. but what may be happening is that the UV Tiling for that texture map is wrong.

This is just a .CR2 loaded directly into Carrara 8 from the content browser; didn't change a thing :)
    edited December 1969

---- more to come --------

This is beautiful, Thank you very much!
    You nkow... I do believe that you have just sold to me your plugin as soon as it hits official status. And by then I'll be well acquainted with how it works. This sort of support from a single person asking for help reminds me of the owners of Dogwaffle and P3dO Explorer (SENO Software - "Yarp"), and folks like that. And you haven't even released it yet. The way you approached this project and documented your way though is really above and beyond. But to tke the time to do this, just because I say I'm busy... and you don't even know me from the next person... That's the mark of a passionate developer. I will definitely support your endeavors on the Carrara front for sure. You wanna make more Carrara plugins after this one? I'll likely jump on whatever bears your name.

Dartanbeck

edited April 2013

------- Glass ------

We are skipping this one. it actually works great, but Glass2 is better.
    -> read more about glass here http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Materials_Glass

----- Glass2 -------
    On the surface its simple. 2 inputs that are simple check boxes
    - Architectural
    - Dispersion

BUT, this is just a wrapper to the volumes. Or in other words, all light hits the surface, some reflect and some refract. The look of the glass is largely determined by the Interior volume set on the Lux Surface.,

Enable Architectural if you want the light that goes through the glass2 to act as if you have an IOR of 1.0. The reflection stuff will be as normal and will reflect according to the volume IOR

Dispersion is chromatic dispersion? Something about how a prism makes rainbow colors. Normally his is off.

Always setup an Interior Volume when using glass2. Those volumes probably need alot of explaination, but start by use the Lux Clear and set your Fresnel IOR. If you want it colored, try a Lux ColorDepth texture plugged int the Absorption Color. The idea here is that light will be that color by that depth of penetration into the volume. To my technical mind this seems weird to me.

Or setup a carrara multiply in the Absorption slot of your Lux Clear that has a Color(not texture) as Source 1 and a 10000% value as Source 2. This represents a density of particles that absorb light. Set your color to pure green and amp up the your source 2 and your volume will take out green light. The idea being the denser the particles, the more that light(in this case green) is removed. You will be left with purple light eventually.

Read more here
    -> http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Materials_Glass2

------------- Glossy ----------------------
    I short novel could be written about this material.

Inputs
    - Diffuse
    - Specular
    - Index of Refraction (this overrides Specular if not 0)
    - Roughness U
    - Roughness V
    - Absorption
    - Depth
    - Sigma
    - MultiBounce (supposedly for a velvet effect)
    - Separable (never used it)

As a way to get going.
    1) Set the diffuse as you normally would.
    2) Specular, you probably just want dark gray. Like 32, 32, 32.
    3) Roughness U and Roughness V is how rough the surface is and affects glossiness and reflection. Luxus will pay attention to a texture map that has inverted color checked. So you could use a a shininess map and invert it on this one.
    4) Absorption and depth? I've Never used it on Glossy
    5) Sigma, never used this either.

Best information is here
    -> http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Materials_Glossy

Post edited by SphericLabs on
    edited December 1969

Hi Dartanbeck .:)

This is what I used as a basic reference for the shaders types,.. and how they function,.

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Materials#miscellaneous
    the Luxrender Wik

So far, there doesn't seem to be a simple way to handle applying multiple shaders to a single object with multiple shading domains
    unless I've missed that somewhere...

• Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited April 2013

Maybe I'm doing something way wrong---I load V4 into Carrara and change the default light to LuxInfinite. I have no other lights and I didn't touch any of the textures. V4 renders grey (see below). Is this because I'm not fiddling with the textures? Lux is image 1, normal Carrara (with default light unchanged) is image 2.

Doc7.png
    640 x 480 - 62K
    luxout.png
    640 x 480 - 100K
    Post edited by Salem2007 on
    edited December 1969

Salem2007 said:
    Maybe I'm doing something way wrong---I load V4 into Carrara and change the default light to LuxInfinite. I have no other lights and I didn't touch any of the textures. V4 renders grey (see below). Is this because I'm not fiddling with the textures? Lux is image 1, normal Carrara (with default light unchanged) is image 2.

The autotranslation of Carrara Materials was put off to get something in the hands of Carrara user's faster. The autotranslation will be quite a bit of work.

• Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

Salem2007 said:

The autotranslation of Carrara Materials was put off to get something in the hands of Carrara user's faster. The autotranslation will be quite a bit of work.

Ahh--sorry, "autotranslation" didn't click with me until now. I image that it will be quite a bit of work. When you get the Carrara version working as well as the DazStudio version, there will be many happy people!

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Hi Dartanbeck .:)

This is what I used as a basic reference for the shaders types,.. and how they function,.

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Materials#miscellaneous
    the Luxrender Wik

So far, there doesn't seem to be a simple way to handle applying multiple shaders to a single object with multiple shading domains
    unless I've missed that somewhere...

That's what really caught me off guard, I think. I'm used to filling in several channels. This is simply set up an entirely different way. Pretty cool, I think.
    edited December 1969

------- Glass ------
    Thanks, again! :)