The Realism Challenge - Biased VS Unbiased Showdown

Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
edited February 2013 in The Commons

Hey guys and girls. The idea for this challenge came up in the Carrara section of the forums. Basically we have two groups of people around these forums. Those who swear by unbiased renderers like Lux (Reality) or Octane and those who are adamant they can produce the same results in their biased software of choice (Poser, Studio, Carrara, Bryce etc.)

So the challenge is simply this. Don't argue your case but render it. Show us that you are indeed better able to use your software of choice than the next guy is able to use his. There are no prizes, just an oppertunity to become a true champion for your clan. Everyone else is welcome to express their pleasure or dismay about the images they view but please do keep it polite and civil.

Only one rule - No Postwork!

On your mark, get set, render!

Post edited by Harry Dresden on

Comments

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Only one rule - No Postwork!

I agree with that rule. I think that the subject of the scene ought be similar. We shouldn't be trying to make exact duplicates, but there should be an over-arching theme.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Here is an idea, pick a scene from here so all the contestants need to do is texture and lighting

http://www.3drender.com/

I recommend the fruit bowl scene.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

The original challenge over at Carrara was on the subject of humans and skin but we can change that. Lol. :lol:

But seeing as I waited 1.5 hours for this render to finish I'm posting it! Grrr... :lol:

DAZ Studio 4.5 - Eat your hearty out Reality. :cheese:

V5DS.jpg
    1546 x 2000 - 2M
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Did this one awhile ago. Pretty simple scene. I wanted to test how minimal I could go.

Carrara 7.2 Pro render.

One light and a white background color. Partial GI- Meaning I only had the Skylight option enabled and not full Indirect lighting. Skylight allows for the white Background color (or anything in the scenes's Background actually) to act like an IBL. I simulated SSS by using the skin's color image map in the glow channel.

Sexy-A3-no-post.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 348K
    edited December 1969

go DAZ

posed-cylinder.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 355K
    edited December 1969

Go Carrara

fruitbowl-final_copy.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 301K
    edited December 1969

Go Bryce 7.1 Pro

bryce-fruit-Final.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 404K
    edited December 1969

Damn, sexy pic evil. Got a phone number? :lol:

Great image Rareth. I love the mood.

edited February 2013

The original challenge over at Carrara was on the subject of humans and skin but we can change that. Lol. :lol:

But seeing as I waited 1.5 hours for this render to finish I'm posting it! Grrr... :lol:

I'm pretty sure the discussion was about the render engine and not the subject of the render. The discussion was really about shaders/textures and lights. The argument being, it doesn't matter the engine, if you don't know what you're doing, then the renderer makes no difference. Conversely, if you do know what you're doing, then it would be difficult to say what render engine was used. That was my take away at any rate.

I believe that Carrara's render engine is still very capable and I have yet to see anything from the more hip renderers that couldn't be done in Carrara with the exception of GPU rendering. Carrara's renderer also appears to be a lot faster than Reality, which isn't meant to be a diss on Reality.

As to sticking with the same subject, you all can do that if you want, but if I conceive of a scene that I think shows off Carrara's renderer, then that's what I'm doing. Sorry.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Thanks!

edited December 1969

Thanks.. my "The Fantastic Art of Frank Frazetta" book is sending me subliminal signals, (that and its right next to my computer table) ..

edited December 1969

I'm pretty sure the discussion was about the render engine and not the subject of the render. The discussion was really about shaders/textures and lights. The argument being, it doesn't matter the engine, if you don't know what you're doing, then the renderer makes no difference. Conversely, if you do know what you're doing, then it would be difficult to say what render engine was used. That was my take away at any rate.

I believe that Carrara's render engine is still very capable and I have yet to see anything from the more hip renderers that couldn't be done in Carrara with the exception of GPU rendering. Carrara's renderer also appears to be a lot faster than Reality, which isn't meant to be a diss on Reality.

As to sticking with the same subject, you all can do that if you want, but if I conceive of a scene that I think shows off Carrara's renderer, then that's what I'm doing. Sorry.

I meant my challenge to carfor but agreed. Lol. We'll go with the fruit if everyone is happy with that. Downloading as we speak.

• Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

Carrara 8.1, IES lighting.

paladin.jpg
    800 x 600 - 114K
    edited December 1969

Nice image Kodiak. It will take me a while to figure Carrara's lighting out. Lol.

edited December 1969

I meant my challenge to carfor but agreed. Lol. We'll go with the fruit if everyone is happy with that. Downloading as we speak.

Go ahead with the fruit if you wish. I'm not using a still life to show off what Carrara's renderer can do versus another. I think if you want to show off your render engine of choice, you should find some gee-whiz feature that the other renderer either can't do, or can do, but with more difficulty. Otherwise this challenge is akin to seeing which car handles better in a school zone: The Prius or the Volt.

edited December 1969

Go ahead with the fruit if you wish. I'm not using a still life to show off what Carrara's renderer can do versus another. I think if you want to show off your render engine of choice, you should find some gee-whiz feature that the other renderer either can't do, or can do, but with more difficulty. Otherwise this challenge is akin to seeing which car handles better in a school zone: The Prius or the Volt.

Let's just stick to an open render challenge. Skin, cars, houses, smurfs...anything that's real man. Hmmm...should smurfs be in there? :lol:

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

I don't know how everybody else sees the world, but this comes close to what I see as Realism!

Cowrarra Froot! No lights, just glow channels.

froot.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 410K
    edited December 1969

I don't know how everybody else sees the world, but this comes close to what I see as Realism!

If you used IL then it would get real trippy!

edited December 1969

W0t?? No Cows?!

edited December 1969

If you used IL then it would get real trippy!

Hmmm...

OK, I'll bite.

What is IL?

I've heard of GI, and AO - even IBL and HDRI(L) but not IL.

I'm terrible with acronyms :roll:

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Gee really this again? I've always been of the impression that it's not the tools that create but the person using the tools. I'll link to two of my old ones and you figure out what they were done wih.
    http://jaderail.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/art/Bruuna-by-JJW-296745874?_sid=2bc68410
    http://jaderail.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/art/A-moment-in-time-316364781?_sid=4bf3f581

edited December 1969

W0t?? No Cows?!

What do you think is behind the blanket? ;-)

edited February 2013

W0t?? No Cows?!

Of course there's Cows in there. But they had nothing in the glow channel of their shaders, and are not showing because there's no lights.

EDIT - Yer too fast fer me, O Evil One!

Post edited by Sockratease on
  • Saba TaruSaba Taru Posts: 170
    edited December 1969

I'll play. I did have to add the sig (because this is for something else) to the image after rendering. The render itself is untouched, though (and man was it painful to leave it alone! So.... tempted....). Sorry if that disqualifies the image. :)

Rendered in PP2012 using IDL and SSS. Click for larger version, please.

Nile_Queen_Portrait_v1_small.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 513K
    edited December 1969

Hmmm...

OK, I'll bite.

What is IL?

I've heard of GI, and AO - even IBL and HDRI(L) but not IL.

I'm terrible with acronyms :roll:

If only your cow had top incisors!

IL= Indirect Light under Carrara's GI render settings in the Render Room. Skylight is also under the GI settings. I always assumed when someone said they used full GI that they had the Indirect Light and Skylight boxes checked.

edited February 2013

Jaderail said:
    Gee really this again? I've always been of the impression that it's not the tools that create but the person using the tools. I'll link to two of my old ones and you figure out what they were done wih.
    http://jaderail.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/art/Bruuna-by-JJW-296745874?_sid=2bc68410
    http://jaderail.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/art/A-moment-in-time-316364781?_sid=4bf3f581

When entering a pissing contest, it's best to wear a rain slicker! ;-)

Edited to add, that those are some beautiful images you've done.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

oh, well I thought the object was to show off the rendering aspecting of things, my bad.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,184
    edited December 1969

I'd probably fall into the "the artist's talent/craft is more significant than the tools used" camp because I've seen amazing renders with both biased and unbiased renders. Those are the images that are memorable, or strike a cord. Emotional impact of an image is usually more important than the technical achievement.

whatdoyousee.jpg
    650 x 500 - 354K
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

Not cool. If you don't like the topic then don't spoil it for the rest. And if you actually read the intro you'd have realised the point is exactly to prove that it's the artist that makes the tool.

edited December 1969

well everyone has their own toolbox and workflow.. you never know what will show up in a thread like this one..

obscureglow-cropped.jpg
    1087 x 987 - 269K