Apparently the DAZ Install Manager is about ready

Comments

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the answer - seems like a bit of a big oversight

Yeah, I agree. Perhaps we can petition for the Read Me's, at least, to list the current version (as that's the sort of technical info that some people might need for business purposes.)

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the answer - seems like a bit of a big oversight

Yeah, I agree. Perhaps we can petition for the Read Me's, at least, to list the current version (as that's the sort of technical info that some people might need for business purposes.)

Nice thought, though for me, that's pretty worthless. If the Readmes were actually, you know, INCLUDED with the products that would be a good option, but these days readmes mean going to the wiki, and I know I'm not willing to bother doing that for every single product I download,....

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

Can someone please shed some light on what happens to all the products I have not been downloaded with the DIM. I have a ton of 3rd party content in my Runtime. So if I use the DIM to re-install everything I downloaded, will my other files be affected?

Thanks

• NakiloeNakiloe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    You can install your content anywhere you want.]

Can you elaborate on this?

You can install products managed with DIM where you want, and keep separate runtimes for V4/M4/Genesis/environments/... (It's the first thing I've tried, as it was my main concern :P )

It's not very easy but not overcomplicated :P :

- click on top right gear
    - in "installation" tab add all folders you need (new folders as DIM can only managed what it installs)
    - Back to main window, "ready to download" tab
    - Uncheck "Install after download" at the bottom
    - check items you want to download and "start queue"

Then the interesting part :P . You'll have to set a different install queue for each runtime you want :
    - In "Ready to install" tab, check products for the first runtime
    - There is a little arrow at the bottom right : "Install to where?". Click it. A combo with the folders you've selected appear! :lol:
    - Choose your folder and start queue
    - Repeat for other runtimes ^^

I've not yet checked how products appear in Daz Studio, or how it mix with products from other stores, but currently, DIM looks quite interesting ^^

• willowfanwillowfan Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

So, is this actually available now?

It seems some have started using it but I have seen no announcement or download link etc other than this thread.

Colour me confused??

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

It seems some have started using it but I have seen no announcement or download link etc other than this thread.

Colour me confused??

It was stated by DAZ that PC members would be given the DIM first, and a link has been snet to them, in batches. Not all PC members have it yet afaik, but everyone will get it sooon!

• willowfanwillowfan Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

Colour me confused??

It was stated by DAZ that PC members would be given the DIM first, and a link has been snet to them, in batches. Not all PC members have it yet afaik, but everyone will get it sooon!

Ah OK, I shall have to check my emails then. I don't look in the PC forum that often. :red:

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    Can someone please shed some light on what happens to all the products I have not been downloaded with the DIM. I have a ton of 3rd party content in my Runtime. So if I use the DIM to re-install everything I downloaded, will my other files be affected?

Thanks

Nothing happens to them. If you create a new runtime, then you'll want to un-install your DAZ products from your old runtime. If you install over your old runtime, your 3rd party stuff is untouched.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,870
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:

Thanks

The DIM does nothing to products you have installed by itself - it certainly doesn't touch content from other sites, or freebies. You may have a problem in a few cases if you point the DIM to a new folder and end up with twio versions of soem files, though for the most part that should be harmless (the biggest potential clash would be with multiple \Runtime\Libraries\!DAZ\Charactername folders if they were no in sync).

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282
    edited December 1969

Okay I will hold up my hand and say I *like* DIM. :-)

Downloaded and installed it last night and then downloaded the smallest 200 items (1Gb+) took nearly 3hrs. The files are smaller which helps allot. It is still going to take time downloading everything again, which I am still not happy about, I am near my 'month' end/limit.

I've seen some suggestions for downloading on more than one pc, might be okay for two but not so easy with four (two at work and I can't install DIM on them).

I can backup the downloads to my external drive if I install using DIM and I hope that means I could put it back in the DIM download folder but can I reinstall it through DIM if I do when it thinks it is already installed? If I come up with a better system later how can I reinstall in a different place?

Jury is still out on if I use it to install, and where too.
    My IT-brain says clean install is good, but my Artist-heart weeps at the thought of the wasted weekends re-categorising Content Library again when I should be creating pictures.
    . Clean install - lose categories
    . Overwrite - wont tidy up older copies
    . Copy from Clean to Original, DIM can't uninstall
    . Manual install as usual, have to keep downloads on pc so DIM will tell me about updates, using space.

Anyone any suggestions? (I'm at work so it will be hours before I can check back)

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited February 2013

3Ddreamer said:

My IT-brain says clean install is good, but my Artist-heart weeps at the thought of the wasted weekends re-categorising Content Library again when I should be creating pictures.
    . Manual install as usual, have to keep downloads on pc so DIM will tell me about updates, using space.

Anyone any suggestions? (I'm at work so it will be hours before I can check back)

No need to lose your custom categories on a clean install.

1. Export your userdata before you start installing with DIM. (Content Library > Context Menu > Content DB Maintenance > Export User Data).
    2. Backup User_Data.dsx files from your primary (first listed) DAZ Native content directory. They will be found in the ~runtime\support directory.
    3. Reset your Content Database (Content Library > Context Menu > Content DB Maintenance > Reset Database)
    4. Close DS.
    5. Install with DIM *over* existing content directories. (This leaves your content from other stores in place).
    6. Restart DS.
    7. Re-import User Data (Content Library > Context Menu > Content DB Maintenance > Re-import Metadata > Make sure UserData is checked).
    8. That should do the trick, although you may find you have two versions of some items on next scan. This will require manual cleanup as this is most likely caused by the location of something changing between the old installer version and the new DIM version.

In the end this is less work than recategorizing everything and/or reinstalling everything from other stores. IMO anyway. :)

Post edited by adamr001 on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited February 2013

Mari-Anne said:
    I 'm sure i will installi the Gen3 & 4 content into the C:\User\Public path as it becomes available and eliminate the old D|S 3 at some point.

I am just going to point out that virtually all of the Gen 4 stuff is already done. (Only exceptions should be Puppeteer Presets and RSL shaders that place SDL files outside the Content Directory path. (Yes, there are probably a few others that got missed, but that was not intentional and if you find one, please let us know through the bug tracker.)

Note this only applies to DAZ Studio and Poser Content, other content, plug-ins, software is not happening until we get the first bit done. :)

Currently there are just over 10,000 products done. That leaves us between 2000 to 3000 until we get to the vault. (And yes it is planned to get the vaulted stuff too.)

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
    edited December 1969

I sure wouldn't rely on this program at this point. The most recent thing I got a few days ago was the Urban Shabby Chic product

This SHOULD have
    Boho Chic
    Urban Fashion Trend
    Urban Shabby Chic for V4

When I originally got the exe products, all were there. I just went to DIM and the only part of it that's showing is Boho Chic.

That would be a bug, as those should all be there but for some reason the bundle is not entirely associated. Please report that to http://bugs.daz3d.com (Note that is a different log-in than the store. )
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    Download of content and installation of content are not limited to C:

At release we did not allow for an alternative installation path for the application because of a problem with allowing it on the Mac. We are, and have been, looking at ways to address this.

So does this mean that I can not use the Install Manager properly yet? I am running on MAC and have all of my content (Studio/My Library) on external drive. Based on all the documentation I have read, it appears that you need to install everything to a Shared folder on C. This is really not ideal for me. Furthermore, what happens to all of my 3rd party installs residing in Runtime folder?

Thanks.No, it means you get to use the equivalent location on the Mac for where Install Manager goes. Everything else gets to go where you want it. Nothing happens to your third party installs, though we do recommend letting Install Manager install to a clean, empty, Content Directory.

edited December 1969

Fauvist said:
    I'm really dismayed that another new DAZ product has so many questions and problems associated with it. I only read the first 10 pages in the thread - but come on! Stop innovating already. It's too much to keep up with. It's information/problem overload. I don't want to go through this any more. 500 questions, 500 problems, 500 fixes. When it works without problems for everyone, let me know.
    The first 20 pages are all from before it was released.

What problems are you experiencing?

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:

At release we did not allow for an alternative installation path for the application because of a problem with allowing it on the Mac. We are, and have been, looking at ways to address this.

I imagine the DIM was written in C++. I haven't done anything in that since 1991, but I do know there is a library that has functions to determine what OS we're running on. From there, it's a simple If...Else. If Mac, restrict install drive, else offer a list of available drives for installation. This should not have been an after thought, if it was known going in that Mac had restrictions.

DanaIt was not an afterthought. It is something we have been working on to give both Operating systems an equivalent experience.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Just to be sure I understand the whole concept before I start d/l my files

I want to download and install my files in groups depending on what type they are: V4, V5, Genesis, Props, Environments, Characters etc and install to separate folders on an external h/d...so I understand the way to do this is to download to the default folder with subfolders to sort contents into character, poses, V4clothing/ M5 clothing, props, environments etc

but I want to install to an external h/d so would my install path be

D;/Daz Studio/Props
    D:/Daz Studio/Environments
    D;/Daz Studio/Genesis

or would it have to be the same name as default just changing drive letter

D:/Users/Public/Documents/My Daz 3D Library

and then unmap my current content library in DS 4.5

edited December 1969

Kharma said:

I want to download and install my files in groups depending on what type they are: V4, V5, Genesis, Props, Environments, Characters etc and install to separate folders on an external h/d...so I understand the way to do this is to download to the default folder with subfolders to sort contents into character, poses, V4clothing/ M5 clothing, props, environments etc

D;/Daz Studio/Props
    D;/Daz Studio/Genesis

Your paths will work just fine.
  • Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

>>>>I'll tell you what I did just as an example. I am keeping my D|S 3.1.2.32 with all my Gen 3 and Gen 4 stuff. Basically, that's everything that is installed to C:\DAZ\Studio\Content. Then I also kept my D|S Pro 4.5.1.56 but I unmapped all my existing directories, including my Content directory, My Library as well as my Poser directories. Instead, I mapped my new C:\User\Public..... path. Then, I exported the user data I had installed via the DIM up to that point which was only the Genesis Starter Essential files. Then I reset the dabase, thereby wiping out all content. I closed D|S 4.5, opened it again, and re-imported my user data. From here on, I plan to install about 10 different items each time and categorize anew as I go along and only concentrate on Gen5 content. I 'm sure i will installi the Gen3 & 4 content into the C:\User\Public path as it becomes available and eliminate the old D|S 3 at some point.

Sounds like a great plan to me! I don't have DS 3 any more. It kind of went out the door when my last computer was stolen so I only have Daz 4.5 installed and about 1/2 of the original stuff. And with the mood I'm in tonight I'm find with leaving everything installed the way it is and just switch over to the new C:\User\Public...folder. I think I will create a new place for all of the non-Daz stuff though to help keep it straight. I don't think that will mess anything up or at least I hope not. Like you, I'm concentrating mainly on Gen5 stuff. I haven't used the other figures in a while. I haven't started Categorizing anything up to this point. I really need to though because I spend more time searching, trying to remember how it was installed then it takes to render a pic. LOL.

For sure - categories are a life saver. Couldn't live without them!!

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:

D;/Daz Studio/Props
    D;/Daz Studio/Genesis

Your paths will work just fine.

Sounds Awesome! :)
    I assume I wouldn't even have to put the Daz Studio into the directory name, just use D:/Props etc

edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    3Ddreamer said:

No need to lose your custom categories on a clean install.

1. Export your userdata before you start installing with DIM. (Content Library > Context Menu > Content DB Maintenance > Export User Data).
    2. Backup User_Data.dsx files from your primary (first listed) DAZ Native content directory. They will be found in the ~runtime\support directory.
    3. Reset your Content Database (Content Library > Context Menu > Content DB Maintenance > Reset Database)
    4. Close DS.
    5. Install with DIM *over* existing content directories. (This leaves your content from other stores in place).
    6. Restart DS.
    7. Re-import User Data (Content Library > Context Menu > Content DB Maintenance > Re-import Metadata > Make sure UserData is checked).
    8. That should do the trick, although you may find you have two versions of some items on next scan. This will require manual cleanup as this is most likely caused by the location of something changing between the old installer version and the new DIM version.

In the end this is less work than recategorizing everything and/or reinstalling everything from other stores. IMO anyway. :)
    Note that Userdata is based on relative paths, so even if you switch to an entirely new directory, userdata will still work correctly.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Question

So if I were to rename "My Library" to "Content" and pointed the DIM to that directory it would then overwrite all the stuff it found in the data and runtime:textures folder and then if I were to go in through DAZ Studio and move one folder at a time over to the Clothing:!Genesis Male and Clothing:!Genesis Female folders would it overwrite but retain the meta data info as discussed? I'm just trying to figure out a way to not have two whole libraries since the old "My Library" has SO much in it already and being THAT established perhaps it's best to just try to keep that going.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Question

So if I were to rename "My Library" to "Content" and pointed the DIM to that directory it would then overwrite all the stuff it found in the data and runtime:textures folder and then if I were to go in through DAZ Studio and move one folder at a time over to the Clothing:!Genesis Male and Clothing:!Genesis Female folders would it overwrite but retain the meta data info as discussed? I'm just trying to figure out a way to not have two whole libraries since the old "My Library" has SO much in it already and being THAT established perhaps it's best to just try to keep that going.

The name of your Content Directory makes no difference whatsoever.

As for the rest of it. Possibly, and probably. Remember the more manual work you do the more manual work you are going to keep having to do.

• nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,136
    edited December 1969

I'm going to give the Install Manager a try, but I have a question - what if I already have the installer for a product? I routinely keep all of the installers I download (the latest versions, anyway), so I don't have to re-download them if I need to re-install something.

Is there some way of pointing the IM to the existing installers?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,385
    edited December 1969

If you want Install Manager to manage/update your packs automatically then you will need to download the new one.

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

I sure wouldn't rely on this program at this point. The most recent thing I got a few days ago was the Urban Shabby Chic product

This SHOULD have
    Boho Chic
    Urban Fashion Trend
    Urban Shabby Chic for V4

When I originally got the exe products, all were there. I just went to DIM and the only part of it that's showing is Boho Chic.

That would be a bug, as those should all be there but for some reason the bundle is not entirely associated. Please report that to http://bugs.daz3d.com (Note that is a different log-in than the store. )

Will do. Hopefully I did the right thing and added to another already reported bug on the same type of issue.
    0049111: Bundle items not showing in Install manager

I do see that the only response to these types of reports, by the way, is "not everything has been added yet".

And I missed a part of this that isn't in the DIM - Urban Shabby Chic Unimesh fits
    Even weirder, the only item showing in DIM (Boho Chic) isn't even listed as being part of the Urban Chic product..

• nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,136
    edited December 1969

Is there some way to point the install manager to pre-existing installers? I've kept all of the installers for my DAZ purchases, and I don't want to have to re-download them.

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

not that i can see

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,385
    edited December 1969

Threads have been merged

edited December 1969

Is there some way to point the install manager to pre-existing installers? I've kept all of the installers for my DAZ purchases, and I don't want to have to re-download them.
    Nope, Sorry.