How to set Camera with 1 point perspective?

What do I do to set the camera to 1 point perspective?

http://imgur.com/a/fBqEF

The pic above are random cubes/primitives.

You'll see that the vertical lines aren't parallel with each other. If you'll draw a line and extend them, there's a vanishing point down below. I just wanted all vertical lines to be straight. I've been doing some trial and error with the camera settings: Frame Width, Focal Length, Focal Distance etc. (I don't even know what they are for)

Comments

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557

The only way I know of that being possible in any 3D system is to have a camera-back offset that you can move up and down, while the camera is left completely horizontal. No idea how that could be done in DS.

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,311
    edited March 2017

select your camera (not the preview camera) and set 'Perspective' to 'Off'

see attached image

(Of course, this also means that 'objects' won't look smaller at distance)

camera-1point.JPG
    1379 x 849 - 132K
    Post edited by glaseye on
    glaseye said:

I don't think the OP's looking for an orthographic camera.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

Take a look at the OP's link. 

Jimbow said:
    glaseye said:

I don't think the OP's looking for an orthographic camera.

edited March 2017

Ah, yes, my bad.....

The only way I can think of to get a 'true' 1point perspective (as learned waaaaaay back by me with actual pencil and paper cheeky ) is indeed to make the camera 'level' (no x-rotation), adjust the camera position and make a larger render 1st, edit that with an image editor (in my example cutting of part of the bottom)

1point.JPG
    1389 x 867 - 121K
    1pointa.jpg
    600 x 600 - 61K
    1pointb.jpg
    600 x 450 - 33K
    edited March 2017

Also, there's this discussion about tilt-shift (no tilt in DS)

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2201896

• glaseye said:

The only way I can think of to get a 'true' 1point perspective is indeed to make the camera 'level' (no x-rotation), adjust the camera position and make a larger render 1st, edit that with an image editor (in my example cutting of part of the bottom)

camera 'level' means the horizon is at the center of your work area?

also, when vertical perspective happens. I edit them in photoshop by Transfom (ctrl+T) then manually pulling the 4 corners while holding ctrl to make the verticals parallel with each other. I don't know if it technically messes up the perspective.

edited March 2017

camera 'level' means the horizon is at the center of your work area?

Not sure; it isn't in my sample images. The 'x-rotation' needs to be zero. It is possible that it would work the best when the horizon is centered also.

I don't have photoshop (use gimp mostly), and personally did not yet had the need to correct perspective, so wouldn't know if and how it messes things up.

• gederixgederix Posts: 390

Not the center but the vanishing point has to be on the horizon line and you have to be facing it head on or its not one point perspective. Can be right in the middle of the image area or toward a corner, as long as the facing is head on. Shooting at an angle puts you in two (or three) point perspective.

fastbike1 said:

Take a look at the OP's link.

I did ;) What's being requested is for no perspective in the vertical, but one or two perspective points for the horizontal axes. As I commented earlier, this can be done in other 3D apps that have the ability to offset the camera back (I've used the techinique for setting up matte painting shots that require true verticals, but forced perspective).

I dare say that a working camera model could be built for use in iray (people already make lenses and the like), but it'd be a complex job.

• Thanks for the answer. Works great and has a variety of applications.