Please help me about the !uber area lighting !

Comments

• edited January 2013

i try to revers a plane added uber area lighting
    and its succeed revers
    light will illuminate form opposite direction

and i try revers a cube , but cube is like sphere the normal vector still outside
    same as any closed geometric cylinder cone torus , normal always outside
    whats going on

Post edited by b9502032_f6fbea2931 on
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

I do not think it's the sphere. I think there's something else going on here...

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Subbing an uber environment sphere for the primitive didn't solve it. But the uber light shader itself is functioning properly on other primitive surfaces so that shouldn't be the core issue either.

edited December 1969

I tried a sphere with reversed normals I made in Hexagon... THAT did not work either.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

I suspect this may be related to the fix for models flipped by negative scaling them appearing black. It may come down to a choice of the lesser evil if that's so, since being able to reverse an item by scaling it to -100% is also a useful trick.

edited December 1969

That does not explain what happened for wancow though. Vexing when something works..but only sometimes.

• edited December 1969

OMG I need to sleep now
    i am from japan
    so whatever thanks you a lot

edited December 1969

Sorry it's still unresoved... hopefully by the time you wake up, someone will have figured it out...

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

No one has said if there tried a Shpere from the Create Primative menu and not Uber Primatives. I can't test anything as i don't have assess to Daz Studio at all. Last time I used this was 4.5.1.6 and it worked on a Pimative Sphere. This is not to say that the latest version hasn't go a bug regarding this. :)

edited December 1969

I did try with a sphere from hexagon with reversed normals... should that not have worked?

edited December 1969

No one has said if there tried a Shpere from the Create Primative menu and not Uber Primatives.

I did since that was the instructions in the tutorial. Also tried with a pre created environment sphere and that did not function either at 100 or -100.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited January 2013

Khory said:
    No one has said if there tried a Shpere from the Create Primative menu and not Uber Primatives.

I did since that was the instructions in the tutorial. Also tried with a pre created environment sphere and that did not function either at 100 or -100.

the regular Area Light Sphere worked for me when I scaled it negatively

incase you can't read it, the sphere is scaled -4000%

arealight-troll.jpg
    1442 x 810 - 241K
    Post edited by Rareth on
    edited December 1969

uber Area light sphere negatively scaled to 3800% (thats -3800%)

area-light-troll-uber.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 208K
    edited January 2013

ok just to be thorough, I ran through the tutorial the OP is attempting..
    nice tutorial wish I discovered it sooner..

anyway, no issues on my end, did everything step by step with the video.

area-light-troll-uber2.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 274K
    Post edited by Rareth on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Well...some interesting points.

Just to check, I created a sphere in Blender. I flipped the normals, gave it a material and UV mapped it before export. On import to DS I applied UA. Rendered...inside lit up, outside black

Back to Blender...chopped the sphere in half, created an integral 'floor' assigned two materials (dome and floor). Back in DS, assigned UA to the dome. Rendered...inside lit up, outside black.

Then I applied SubD to is...Rendered...inside black...outside lit.

Then I created a DS primitive sphere...and black inside, no matter what the scaling is/was...

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Hi...

Well I just finished running through a multitude of tests on the last 4 versions and confirmed what I suspected to be the cause and I believe Richard is correct...

A bug fix was added in the 4.5.1.49 Beta to correct reversed normals on models with negative scale values that are sent to 3Delight...

4.5.1.6 and 4.5.1.41 Beta both work as you would normally expect with negative scale... the light will emit inwards...

4.5.1.49 Beta and 4.5.1.56 no longer work because the normals are being corrected to face outward...

The results would be expected now since the AreaLight is a Surface Shader...

@Rareth... what version of Studio are you using?

While this is an unfortunate side effect of the fix... being able to invert a figure or prop is very useful...

Also it's not a total loss... the UberEnvironment2 sphere does work correctly, since it's a Light Shader and not a Surface Shader...

nicci... :)

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Hi...

mjc1016 said:
    Well...some interesting points.

Just to check, I created a sphere in Blender. I flipped the normals, gave it a material and UV mapped it before export. On import to DS I applied UA. Rendered...inside lit up, outside black

Back to Blender...chopped the sphere in half, created an integral 'floor' assigned two materials (dome and floor). Back in DS, assigned UA to the dome. Rendered...inside lit up, outside black.

That would be expected since the imported objects normals are pointed inward...

Then I applied SubD to is...Rendered...inside black...outside lit.

Now that's interesting... and I would suspect that Studios SubD is converting the mesh then...

Then I created a DS primitive sphere...and black inside, no matter what the scaling is/was...

Yep...

edited December 1969

Wierd things a foot. Sounds and smells like bug then probably a bug...has anyone reported it yet?

edited January 2013

Szark said:
    Wierd things a foot. Sounds and smells like bug then probably a bug...has anyone reported it yet?

Not a bug...but a BUG FIX!

Like Nicci and Richard, that's the conclusion I've come to...the fix for the old problem basically makes it so the normals are always facing out on negatively scaled items...

Now, if I can make an arealight shader that will emit in the opposite direction of the normal...or if there was a way to set which direction the normals pointed when creating the primitives. I wonder how hard it would be to write a script to invert the normals?

ETA:

I took the DZAreaLight (a DS3 SDK example light, recompiled in DS4.x) and inverted the normal, recompiled it and it works like expected with negatively scaled primitives. One more bit confirming that the normals are now always 'facing out' on them.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

niccipb said:
    Hi...

Well I just finished running through a multitude of tests on the last 4 versions and confirmed what I suspected to be the cause and I believe Richard is correct...

A bug fix was added in the 4.5.1.49 Beta to correct reversed normals on models with negative scale values that are sent to 3Delight...

4.5.1.6 and 4.5.1.41 Beta both work as you would normally expect with negative scale... the light will emit inwards...

4.5.1.49 Beta and 4.5.1.56 no longer work because the normals are being corrected to face outward...

The results would be expected now since the AreaLight is a Surface Shader...

@Rareth... what version of Studio are you using?

While this is an unfortunate side effect of the fix... being able to invert a figure or prop is very useful...

Also it's not a total loss... the UberEnvironment2 sphere does work correctly, since it's a Light Shader and not a Surface Shader...

4.5.1.6 Pro..

edited December 1969

Ok as I said last time i used it was with DS 4.5.1.6

Can someone try this.
    Load a Primative Sphere 1000 Mtr 24,24
    Apply Uber Area Base before rescaling
    Then rescale and reposittion and see if that works

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Ok as I said last time i used it was with DS 4.5.1.6

Can someone try this.
    Load a Primative Sphere 1000 Mtr 24,24
    Apply Uber Area Base before rescaling
    Then rescale and reposittion and see if that works

I'll give it a shot, but I don't think it will matter if UA is applied before or after scaling, because I think the 'fix' automatically' flips the normals...

Rendering...will post when before/afters are done.

edited December 1969

As I thought...no difference...

Image 1 Before scaling
    Image 2 After scaling

(yes, low q-render...speed over substance)

afterscaling.png
    800 x 1000 - 322K
    beforescaling.png
    800 x 1000 - 196K
    edited December 1969

Well I went and Installed DS4.5.1.6 on my Wife's Laptop and did a quick test myself. Though it runs terrible on this laptop I did manage it.

I got light inside. :)

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Well I went and Installed DS4.5.1.6 on my Wife's Laptop and did a quick test myself. Though it runs terrible on this laptop I did manage it.

I got light inside. :)

The fix is actually listed in the changelog...

This is the fix that did it...

Fixed #48488 : Fixed normals handed to the renderer to handle negative scale

Basically, it flips the normals out, from what I can tell, when you go to render. Yeah, it fixes a problem with black rendering when it's unintentional, but it breaks intentionally turning a mesh inside out.

I guess I'll go an upload a 24 x 24 sphere, I won't UV map it. I'll have it at 10m DS scale. The Normals will be pointing in...

edited January 2013

MJC, anxiously awaiting that! Thank you!

Post edited by wancow on
    edited December 1969

Sorry mjc are you saying it still won't work as it does in 4.5.1.6 everytime I tried. Just as the video describes.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Sorry mjc are you saying it still won't work as it does in 4.5.1.6 everytime I tried. Just as the video describes.

Right...light on the outside, only...after v 4.5.1.49 (.43, actually but that wasn't an 'available' beta), you can't turn an object inside out by using negative scaling. You actually have to flip the normals...somehow.

edited December 1969

Oh well what a stupid thing to do. :)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Oh well what a stupid thing to do. :)

As noted earlier, it helps if people want to use negative scale to make a mirror image of an item. There are competing desires here, so what we really need is some kind of property - perhaps at the object level, perhaps a material setting - that lets the user pick which way the mesh, or a material zone on the mesh, behaves.