Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Fishtales said:

After having this for a long while I decided to try some hair experiments and exporting them to Fiberhair then set out to make a hair shader that looked good.

I'm not sure I succeeded with the wolf, it looks a bit mangey :)

Bat and Wolf

I find the wolf believable; foxes round here look mangy, we don't have wolves, unless some have escaped a zoo of course.

• I think the Iray shader settings for the fur, specifically the glossy ones should be tuned down (or zeroed) to get an opaque look. For the rest, it's a good composition, I like it.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,601
    nicstt said:
    Fishtales said:

After having this for a long while I decided to try some hair experiments and exporting them to Fiberhair then set out to make a hair shader that looked good.

Bat and Wolf

I find the wolf believable; foxes round here look mangy, we don't have wolves, unless some have escaped a zoo of course.

Agreed. nearly ran over a big coyote the other day and he was pretty mangy looking.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

Thank you for the comments. Those were my first attempts at fur, without DAZ Studio crashing, with LAMH and exporting as Fibermesh. The shader was also an attempt at getting some sense of what fur should look like from this paper Physically-Accurate Fur Reflectance: Modeling, Measurement and Rendering but using the Iray Uber Shader. The math in that paper is way over my head but I could follow the design concept and tried to emulate it as best as I could understand it.

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992

Can you map a texture map to the fiber hair ? Like a black & white kitty?

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995

Can you map a texture map to the fiber hair ? Like a black & white kitty?

Yes.  Set the texture onto the kitty BEFORE you generate the LAMH FiberHair, and make sure that the "mapped" button is checked and that the root color is set to "255".

Kendall

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Okay I think I need some help. For some reason I am unable to do much of anything anymore without it crashing Studio.  I was working on a fur for the fenris wolf and even just selecting sections to apply the fur to crashes it.  I then loaded the wolf2 with the preset fur to grow the hair a bit longer around the ruff of his neck and it crashes every time as well.  I think I may just need to uninstall and re install it at this point.  I haven't done anything differently and the last time I used it several months ago it was fine.

Okay I think I need some help. For some reason I am unable to do much of anything anymore without it crashing Studio.  I was working on a fur for the fenris wolf and even just selecting sections to apply the fur to crashes it.  I then loaded the wolf2 with the preset fur to grow the hair a bit longer around the ruff of his neck and it crashes every time as well.  I think I may just need to uninstall and re install it at this point.  I haven't done anything differently and the last time I used it several months ago it was fine.

What version of DS are you using (include the subversion and build numbers as well) and have you had a video card update recently? Kendall
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Sorry I seem to have come down with the flu so have been away from the pc.  No updates to the video card I never let anything automatically update. Ever.  I am running 4.9.1.30.  If I take awhile to answer back please don't be offended.  I can't do anything right now anyway since I can't seem to stay upright for more than half an hour.  So don't rush on this please.

Sorry I seem to have come down with the flu so have been away from the pc.  No updates to the video card I never let anything automatically update. Ever.  I am running 4.9.1.30.  If I take awhile to answer back please don't be offended.  I can't do anything right now anyway since I can't seem to stay upright for more than half an hour.  So don't rush on this please.

I can't be offended.  It probably isn't possible to do so.  As far as taking "extra time" to reply that is fine by me :)

Kendall

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,026

I can't be offended.  It probably isn't possible to do so.  As far as taking "extra time" to reply that is fine by me :)

Kendall

Even if I call you a silly billy?

Tjohn said:

Kendall

Even if I call you a silly billy?

I wear the label "RedNeck" proudly.  :-)

Kendall

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    edited August 2016

I just reloaded my raccoon scene and it doesn't appear to be saved as part of the duf file. You have to import as an OBJ or regenerate once you close the file.  Unless both the original character and the fiberhair are in exactly the same location, then trying to align it with the character after importing is tedious. And there aren't any materials so you end up with white hair.  Am I missing something?

And just to live dangerously, I decided to try importing the FiberHair into Poser.  However, the raccoon was posed in DS 4.9 and as best I can tell, there's no way to save a pose as a pz2 in DS.  So how am I supposed to get my raccoon into poser?  All I can think of is to load base raccoon, use the default pose I started with, import the hair and tweak raccoon pose as best I can until it (maybe) lines up.  Does anybody have any suggestions for how to handle this?

Post edited by sandmanmax on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

I just reloaded my raccoon scene and it doesn't appear to be saved as part of the duf file. You have to import as an OBJ or regenerate once you close the file.  Unless both the original character and the fiberhair are in exactly the same location, then trying to align it with the character after importing is tedious. And there aren't any materials so you end up with white hair.  Am I missing something?

And just to live dangerously, I decided to try importing the FiberHair into Poser.  However, the raccoon was posed in DS 4.9 and as best I can tell, there's no way to save a pose as a pz2 in DS.  So how am I supposed to get my raccoon into poser?  All I can think of is to load base raccoon, use the default pose I started with, import the hair and tweak raccoon pose as best I can until it (maybe) lines up.  Does anybody have any suggestions for how to handle this?

http://www.daz3d.com/poser-format-exporter-pfe

If you want the FiberHair to be saved, move it out from inside the LAMH group and into the scene list itself.  Then it will save and load.

Kendall

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,962
    edited September 2016

Wow, it took forever to find this thread.  I have had LAMH for some time but never used it.  I have the full player and I am trying to use Real Fur for DAZ Big Cat 2. I am following the youtube tutorial for the Wolf. Anyway when I get to the "to obj" process,which seems to complete but the Daz starts "reading obj" it seems to process as far as 99%, then it stops responding. Then after some time,  Does this process take a long time?  I am being patient and not clicking on anything but it has been about 20 mins and still at 99%

OK after about 20 min I get "unknown error while importing file" then DAZ crashes

Post edited by ALLIEKATBLUE on
  • Wow, it took forever to find this thread.  I have had LAMH for some time but never used it.  I have the full player and I am trying to use Real Fur for DAZ Big Cat 2. I am following the youtube tutorial for the Wolf. Anyway when I get to the "to obj" process,which seems to complete but the Daz starts "reading obj" it seems to process as far as 99%, then it stops responding. Then after some time,  Does this process take a long time?  I am being patient and not clicking on anything but it has been about 20 mins and still at 99%

OK after about 20 min I get "unknown error while importing file" then DAZ crashes

Hello, yes the export process may take quite some time according to the hair quantity specified. Usually for 500K hairs it takes an average 5-7 minutes; 1000K may go for 15-20 minutes. However there are some considerations and hints like temporarily setting DAZ Studio draw style to Bounding Boxes so that all the exported geometry doesn't immediately bottle up interface and video resources. When the export process is complete (in your case it seems to crash but please try again), if you want to render Iray as I believe, better to hide the exported geometry, set the Draw Style back to Textured mode, and do all the adjuments you need, like camera, adding more characters etc. At this point, since the fur geometry is hidden, the viewport will be responsive. When you are ready to render, switch back to Bounding Boxes again, so that we save all the possible VRAM and resources, make the exported geometry visible again and render. With these precautions, even with very large geometry export you will be able to render.

We are in the process of speeding up and automate the fiber to Iray conversions so that it will be less problematic.

• ok I will try and check back with you thanks so much

• ok I will try and check back with you thanks so much

If you are using the full version, then use FiberHair (Blue button) and the load will be MUCH faster,

Kendall

• If you are using the full version, then use FiberHair (Blue button) and the load will be MUCH faster,

Kendall

That's interesting, where is that button? The only blue button I see says :more presets" Could it be that I am not using the full version?

• If you are using the full version, then use FiberHair (Blue button) and the load will be MUCH faster,

Kendall

That's interesting, where is that button? The only blue button I see says :more presets" Could it be that I am not using the full version?

First thing is to use DIM to uninstall the Free Player.  Then use DIM to install the Full Plugin again -- there have been recent updates.  Then you can access the FiberHair from inside the UI of the Full version.

1) load and pose your figure

2) go into LAMH UI

3) load figure into UI (select figure from drowdown and click on button to the right)

4) Load preset onto figure (buttons below dropdown)

5) Click on Blue FiberHair button

6) Change settings (if desired)

7) enjoy your render

• Kendall, that's for this.  I am rendering a big scene right now but will do all this ASAP.  Obviously I have been using the free version. 

•  

Thanks for all your help. Got the fur on the big cat and it's rendering now.  Now, I'm addicted to LAMH. I purchased the Lord of Snow outfit by Lady Littlefox and others but never used the LAMH feature for the fur.  Could someone walk me through the process of using LAMH on this outfit?  Thanks

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944
    Fishtales said:

Bat and Wolf

Click on image for full size.

Those are nice. Bats are very interesting. I have had to chase them out of the house a few times. I once stuck my hand in without looking at a bluebird nesting box I thought was empty and the shock I had were a flying squirrel was in it. Well the flying squirrel was shocked too. Lucky it didn't bite my finger. They have the softest fur that I have every touched. Not that I've touched a lot of different types of animal fur to begin with.

•  

Thanks for all your help. Got the fur on the big cat and it's rendering now.  Now, I'm addicted to LAMH. I purchased the Lord of Snow outfit by Lady Littlefox and others but never used the LAMH feature for the fur.  Could someone walk me through the process of using LAMH on this outfit?  Thanks

It is the same as for any other figure - have it selected and then apply the preset.  However, remember to NOT PARENT the LAMH preset to anything, and it is best to not parent the clothing item either and let the "fit-to" do the work.

Kendall

•  

It is the same as for any other figure - have it selected and then apply the preset.  However, remember to NOT PARENT the LAMH preset to anything, and it is best to not parent the clothing item either and let the "fit-to" do the work.

Kendall

Sorry Kendall, but it's totally not the same.  I loaded the cape and the fur in DAZ, it already has the fur with the grren color. What do I do in the LAMH application?   When do I apply the fur shader?

•  

Kendall

Sorry Kendall, but it's totally not the same.  I loaded the cape and the fur in DAZ, it already has the fur with the grren color. What do I do in the LAMH application?   When do I apply the fur shader?

If it has the guides then the preset is already loaded.  To use FiberHair just go into the LAMH UI and make the clothing the active object.  The LAMH Preset will already be there and will turn green.  Then export the FiberHair by clicking on the blue button.

Kendall

•  

Kendall

If it has the guides then the preset is already loaded.  To use FiberHair just go into the LAMH UI and make the clothing the active object.  The LAMH Preset will already be there and will turn green.  Then export the FiberHair by clicking on the blue button.

Kendall

Thanks Kendall, you are very helpful

• Help!??  I'm stuck in the middle of making fur and I've lost my model.  It's not gone-gone, I just scrolled, zoomed, panned, something and now it's out of the window and I can't get it back. Is there any way to recenter the model?  I've tried closing it down and reloading it, I tried selecting the ground plane and then reselecting my animal.  But it's just not working.  And I"m not even sure what to search for.

•  

Help!??  I'm stuck in the middle of making fur and I've lost my model.  It's not gone-gone, I just scrolled, zoomed, panned, something and now it's out of the window and I can't get it back. Is there any way to recenter the model?  I've tried closing it down and reloading it, I tried selecting the ground plane and then reselecting my animal.  But it's just not working.  And I"m not even sure what to search for.

Double click the cube box to recenter. If it doesn't work save the preset, exit studio and load it again