Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Comments

• pdspds Posts: 593

For the curious, latest NVIDIA update seems to have opened up access to the Photoshop oil painting filter. Convoluted statement, but it's a really flippin awesome filter.

Why am I bringing that up here? Because the oil painting filter follows contours and gradients really nicely... and makes fur look AMAZING.

Hi Will! I'm not sure I follow...wouldn't you be applying the PS Oil Paint filter in post work, in which event, it wouldn't matter what engine was used to render the image?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

Oh sure. I'm bringing it up here more as suggestion of cool thing you can use with stuff made with LAMH. Not unique to LAMH.

Oh sure. I'm bringing it up here more as suggestion of cool thing you can use with stuff made with LAMH. Not unique to LAMH.

Oh, no, I was referring to the part where you said, "For the curious, latest NVIDIA update seems to have opened up access to the Photoshop oil painting filter." Are you doing something within IRay to "access" the PS Oil Paint filter? I'm not being argumentative--if there's something new and different, that sounds intriguing!

Oooh! No worries. No, from what I understand the oil paint filter in Photoshop relies on the graphics card and was previously unavailable if zerp springy doodad. I don't understand the details at all... but recent NVIDIA driver update done make the oil paint filter go zoom.

Oooh! No worries. No, from what I understand the oil paint filter in Photoshop relies on the graphics card and was previously unavailable if zerp springy doodad. I don't understand the details at all... but recent NVIDIA driver update done make the oil paint filter go zoom.

Nice. Thanks for clarifying. :-)

• I can not activate the program, when I go to follow the link in the popup it gives me an error web page.

Untitled.png
    1920 x 1031 - 250K
  • I can not activate the program, when I go to follow the link in the popup it gives me an error web page.

Please send me your registration data and order ID at [email protected] , I will take a look why that doesn't work.

• jpbbfjpbbf Posts: 8

Hi Alessandro,

I just bought LAMH yesterday and having a lot crashes during the process, this may includes following actions. 

1. Using "Select follicels from Services" when same item turn on both checkbox "Enable and Hide", then crash.

2. Export FabricHair and then move the avatar( figure) , crash

3. Export as an object, then manulipulate [To Obj] to make the hair object visable in iRay and Reality renderer; once I IK the figure, crash again..

The program keeps crashing for my circumstance, and I have been using Daz so for even manulipulating a figure for 10 hours continuously, I still never meet a crash so frequently. 

Using the latest Daz Studio Pro 4.9.2.70 Mac 64-bits; 6-cores Mac Pro Late 2013, 32GB RAM, ATI Dual-D300 2GB-VRAM, OSX 10.11 El Captain System. 

Please advise if there any fixes to my crash issues.

Thank You.

• his xhis x Posts: 866

So! I have found the official thread.  Hi!

This program, LAMH. fascinates me.  It is a much needed add-on to DAZ.  I expect I'll be buying it soon.  I have been reading the stability issues with interest, looking for a common thread.  I have read the minimum system requirements, but are these optimistic?  I would like to see the IDEAL system requirements.  Does it like threads?  Swap file size?  Does it like RAM?  Cuda cores?  If all it wanted was more hardware, I would provide it.

• Rottenham said:

So! I have found the official thread.  Hi!

This program, LAMH. fascinates me.  It is a much needed add-on to DAZ.  I expect I'll be buying it soon.  I have been reading the stability issues with interest, looking for a common thread.  I have read the minimum system requirements, but are these optimistic?  I would like to see the IDEAL system requirements.  Does it like threads?  Swap file size?  Does it like RAM?  Cuda cores?  If all it wanted was more hardware, I would provide it.

It is programmed for the "least common denominator" for DAZ Studio.  LAMH will run on very low spec machines as well as beefier machines.  ATM, it is not optimized for any specific machine layout -- with the exception that Intel Graphics Chipsets can cause problems due to incomplete openGL.  Either nVidia or AMD openGL is fine.  There are portions of the plugin that are multithreaded and there are portions that are not due to the nature of DS.  Very large presets (several million hairs) can be rendered in 6 gigs of RAM using 3DL, but it is possible to create presets that need much more.  LAMH FiberHair is very frugal with memory while RAW obj output can be a killer on memory.

Kendall

• his xhis x Posts: 866

It is programmed for the "least common denominator" for DAZ Studio.  LAMH will run on very low spec machines as well as beefier machines.  ATM, it is not optimized for any specific machine layout -- with the exception that Intel Graphics Chipsets can cause problems due to incomplete openGL.  Either nVidia or AMD openGL is fine.  There are portions of the plugin that are multithreaded and there are portions that are not due to the nature of DS.  Very large presets (several million hairs) can be rendered in 6 gigs of RAM using 3DL, but it is possible to create presets that need much more.  LAMH FiberHair is very frugal with memory while RAW obj output can be a killer on memory.

Kendall

Excellent.  Thank you Kendall.  I have just installed LAMH.  My adventure will begin now.  I have an older I5 quad with a mere 4 threads.  I've got 32G of RAM, but my goal is to render in Iray.  For this, I plan to install a 980ti today.  I'll be back.  smiley

Problems with trying to use instanced object stuff:

Make two sphere primitives. Instanced objects does not list the second sphere primitive as an option.

Make sphere primitive and then import a grass object. Attempting instanced objects hangs, even if the number of 'follicles' is as low as 50.

I have literally never gotten this to work and would love tips.

• Problems with trying to use instanced object stuff:

Make two sphere primitives. Instanced objects does not list the second sphere primitive as an option.

Make sphere primitive and then import a grass object. Attempting instanced objects hangs, even if the number of 'follicles' is as low as 50.

Will here is what I tried: made a plane, 8x8, loaded two props (a couple of ferns plants I've done). In LAMH, I selected all the (64) follicles, grew hair. In the export dialog asked to make 1000 instances. The routine produced 832 instances almost instantly, and ran a quick Iray preview. To start, try to replicate what I did, maybe using a simple cylinder as geometry to be instantiated. Try with little quantities, like 100 for example. And later on try to increase that.

LAMH instance options.jpg
    1132 x 643 - 51K
    instancesRender.jpg
    1791 x 1198 - 466K
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,154

Problems with trying to use instanced object stuff:

Will here is what I tried: made a plane, 8x8, loaded two props (a couple of ferns plants I've done). In LAMH, I selected all the (64) follicles, grew hair. In the export dialog asked to make 1000 instances. The routine produced 832 instances almost instantly, and ran a quick Iray preview. To start, try to replicate what I did, maybe using a simple cylinder as geometry to be instantiated. Try with little quantities, like 100 for example. And later on try to increase that.

wow thats looks awesome ,

• I have been working on various LAMH presets over the last few months.  I am considering making them available generally, but so far I have not been able to successfully name any of the shave groups.  They are always automatically numbered.  I know it is possible to have them named to something logical (such as the Wolf 2.0 shavegroups "body", "ears", and "tail'), but so far I have not been successful.

Also, I have not been able to use more than 3 shave groups.  The software will let me add more, but will not let me add follicles to the 4th shave group.  Is this a known limitation, or is there something I am not doing right?

And I have to confess that despite reading the User's Manual, somehow it never clicked that OBJ export isn't necessary to get the hairs to render in 3DL.  I've been exporting OBJ after OBJ, and it give my poor little computer a rough time.  Definitely won't be doing THAT again!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Is there a LAMH Preset somewhere for the old Millenium Horse LE?

• I have been working on various LAMH presets over the last few months.  I am considering making them available generally, but so far I have not been able to successfully name any of the shave groups.  They are always automatically numbered.  I know it is possible to have them named to something logical (such as the Wolf 2.0 shavegroups "body", "ears", and "tail'), but so far I have not been successful.

Also, I have not been able to use more than 3 shave groups.  The software will let me add more, but will not let me add follicles to the 4th shave group.  Is this a known limitation, or is there something I am not doing right?

And I have to confess that despite reading the User's Manual, somehow it never clicked that OBJ export isn't necessary to get the hairs to render in 3DL.  I've been exporting OBJ after OBJ, and it give my poor little computer a rough time.  Definitely won't be doing THAT again!

Shavegroups can be named. Click on the gear button to the right of the shavegroup dropdown.  This will put you in the material setup dialog. The name of the shavegroups can be set there.

If you're not able to select follicles for a shavegroup then you are likely out of memory, have an active selection going, or have set the facets "hidden".  In the 1.x series there is a 16 shavegroup limit.

Kendall

• Is there a LAMH Preset somewhere for the old Millenium Horse LE?

No one has ever submitted a preset for the old horse, LE or otherwise.

Kendall

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Kendall

OK, thanks.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Kendall

well damn that just sux!!!

• Thanks.  I'll have to look into that, if my current render ever finishes baking.  It's been going strong for two days now, and is now at almost 50%...

• I'm curious, has anyone else experienced in the last few days where LAMH reset the serial number and activation code? I opened it today, and that happened, but when I c/p the SN and AC into LAMH, it tells me they're saved and to restart DAZ. When I do, they're back to being blank and it asks me for it again. I uninstalled LAMH and deleted the package, then reinstalled and it's still not working.

• jpbbf said:

Hi Alessandro,

I just bought LAMH yesterday and having a lot crashes during the process, this may includes following actions. 

1. Using "Select follicels from Services" when same item turn on both checkbox "Enable and Hide", then crash.

3. Export as an object, then manulipulate [To Obj] to make the hair object visable in iRay and Reality renderer; once I IK the figure, crash again..

The program keeps crashing for my circumstance, and I have been using Daz so for even manulipulating a figure for 10 hours continuously, I still never meet a crash so frequently. 

Using the latest Daz Studio Pro 4.9.2.70 Mac 64-bits; 6-cores Mac Pro Late 2013, 32GB RAM, ATI Dual-D300 2GB-VRAM, OSX 10.11 El Captain System. 

Thank You.

For some reason, and I had used it on my iMac for a long time, LAMH doesn't seem to play well with it. I constantly experienced crashes using LAMH on my Mac, and could never nail down the reason it was crashing.

• SGatton said:
    jpbbf said:

Hi Alessandro,

Thank You.

For some reason, and I had used it on my iMac for a long time, LAMH doesn't seem to play well with it. I constantly experienced crashes using LAMH on my Mac, and could never nail down the reason it was crashing.

If you want you can send me the LAMH log file after a crash at [email protected]

I will take a look at what's going on. I use it on a Mac since years and besides the known issues it runs properly for me.

• jpbbf said:

Hi Alessandro,

Thank You.

SGatton said:
    jpbbf said:

Hi Alessandro,

Thank You.

If you want you can send me the LAMH log file after a crash at [email protected]

I will take a look at what's going on. I use it on a Mac since years and besides the known issues it runs properly for me.

Oh, I don't use it on my iMac anymore... not since iRay. I just remember that always happening exactly as jpbbf described it.

• SGattonSGatton Posts: 51
    edited November 2016
    SGatton said:

I'm curious, has anyone else experienced in the last few days where LAMH reset the serial number and activation code? I opened it today, and that happened, but when I c/p the SN and AC into LAMH, it tells me they're saved and to restart DAZ. When I do, they're back to being blank and it asks me for it again. I uninstalled LAMH and deleted the package, then reinstalled and it's still not working.

Disregard this. Windows update made me need a new Activation Key.

Post edited by SGatton on
  • Idle curiosity in passing, regarding the tufts on the tops of the ears on this cute little fella.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcNBvgC5jxA

A red squirrel that came up in idle chat with Kettu. In any case, the ears are quite different from the small round ear squirrel in the daz store (I don't have that yet), and I had a random thought that hypothetically LAMH may possibly be able to assist in correcting the ears, in theory? Or am I misunderstanding some things about how LAMH works.

It's just a curiosity, as I'm not sure how difficult the daz store squirrel will be to work with posing and such (or is there is a better one elsewhere) vs "the two cute ones" I have had considerable fun with in scenes by Dinoraul (ArchaeopteryxDR and MicroraptorDR).

• Idle curiosity in passing, regarding the tufts on the tops of the ears on this cute little fella.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcNBvgC5jxA

A red squirrel that came up in idle chat with Kettu. In any case, the ears are quite different from the small round ear squirrel in the daz store (I don't have that yet), and I had a random thought that hypothetically LAMH may possibly be able to assist in correcting the ears, in theory? Or am I misunderstanding some things about how LAMH works.

It's just a curiosity, as I'm not sure how difficult the daz store squirrel will be to work with posing and such (or is there is a better one elsewhere) vs "the two cute ones" I have had considerable fun with in scenes by Dinoraul (ArchaeopteryxDR and MicroraptorDR).

Hello, yes indeed you could use LAMH to create those long hair tufts on the squirrel ears, it shouldn't be too difficult. Since we are talking about squirrels, just a note the my new model is about done, should be able to hand it over to QA in the incoming week.

• Hello, yes indeed you could use LAMH to create those long hair tufts on the squirrel ears, it shouldn't be too difficult. Since we are talking about squirrels, just a note the my new model is about done, should be able to hand it over to QA in the incoming week.

New Alessandro squirrel, awesome!! Does it have "face morphs" to look like different squirrel species from various parts of the world?

• Hello, yes indeed you could use LAMH to create those long hair tufts on the squirrel ears, it shouldn't be too difficult. Since we are talking about squirrels, just a note the my new model is about done, should be able to hand it over to QA in the incoming week.

New Alessandro squirrel, awesome!! Does it have "face morphs" to look like different squirrel species from various parts of the world?

Yes it will allow for several breeds (actually already included in the main product).