Carrara Challenge #31 Music For My Eyes

chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,016
edited February 8 in Carrara Discussion

The challenge this month is to create an image Based on Music

-  The intent is to make a image representing music for you.It could be an image of a band like Black Sabath, The Clash, Men With Out Hats, Josie and the Pussy Cats, It could be and individual playing in a Bar such a local talent or someone like Lenard Cohen. How about Boy Goerge or any of the newer performers. It could also be a portrait of them performing.

 

The intent is to allow some of the newer users to Carrara to create and display thier artwork from Carrara

-  Feel free to interpret the theme broadly.

 

Basic rules will be:

1. - Participants must use the Carrara to set up and render the Image. 

2.- Must be Musically based.

3 - Modeling an object is not required but if you have ths skills or desire give it a whirl.

4.- Postwork is allowed, but must not be the highlight of the image.

5.- Images must be new (previously unpublished).

6 - Images must be rendered in Carrara or in an external renderer for which there is a Carrara plug-in (e.g. LuxRenderer, Octane).

7 - At least one WIP (work in progress) image must be posted to the WIP thread.

8 - Screen shot of the scene in Carrara to be included in WIP 

9 - Each participant may submit up to 3 images into the Challenge.
 

Please note, there is no requirement for the winner to host the next challenge, unless they want to.

 

We love our wonderful sponsors   heartheartsmiley

Once again Daz will generously sponsor the monthly challenge with the following prizes:

1st Place: $100.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
2nd Place: $ 50.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
3rd Place: $ 25.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
Honorable Mention (4th place): $10.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s) ( may be used for best new comers).

Dates to Remember:

WIP Thread Opens: Tuesday 7 Feb 2017

Entry Thread Opens: Sunday 5 March 2017

Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: 12.00 Midnight Eastern Sunday 12 March 2017

Voting Ends: Sunday 19 March 2017

 

As with the last challenge because we are having up to three images an entrant we WILL judge the winner by their scores combined. ie if their image 1 gets 24 votes, their image 2 gets 12 votes, and their image 3 gets 12 votes then they score 48.

2nd and third and HM would be as per usual - ie based on votes for one image.

 

Link on the Commons to try to attract new commers. 

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/147131/carrara-challenge-31-music-for-my-eyes

Post edited by chickenman on
«13456710

Comments

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 6,157
    edited February 8

    Thanks, Chickenman

    This should be fun.  How many of the bands will PhilW have met personally?  yes

     

    Post edited by Diomede on
  • head waxhead wax Posts: 5,619

    Thanks Chickenman,

    good choice, apologies I need to sit this one out,

    but I am sure Dart will put an entry in, given that he can make posters for his band etc ;)

     

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 13,534

    Cool subject yes

  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 4,244
    diomede said:

    How many of the bands will PhilW have met personally?  yes

    He He!  In around 2001 I discovered the Classic Rock Society and found that it was based only an hour's drive from me, and that it supported music from many bands that I loved in the Classic and Prog Rock fields.  The first gig I went to was by John Wetton (King Crimson, UK, Asia - he wrote and sang "Heat of the Moment") - fantastic gig with no more than 200 people, all standing, but being like a club, what I hadn't realised was that it was normal for the band to come out afterwards, meet people, sign stuff, have photos taken and all that.  I was thrilled to meet John that night, and met him several times since - he sadly died last week and I am still in mourning.

    But it is through the Classic Rock Society that I got to meet many of my musical heroes over the years and attend intimate one-off gigs that would be unthinkable for them to play normally.  The president of the society was Rick Wakeman, and every couple of years he put on a special gig just for members. At one with his full band, they couldn't fit his grand piano on the stage so they put it in front of the stage in the audience, so I was able to stand right by him as he played - and as a keyboard player myself, it was a huge thrill.

  • MistaraMistara Posts: 25,175
    edited February 8

    shake the bootehsmiley

    Post edited by Mistara on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 13,534
    PhilW said:
    diomede said:

    How many of the bands will PhilW have met personally?  yes

    He He!  In around 2001 I discovered the Classic Rock Society and found that it was based only an hour's drive from me, and that it supported music from many bands that I loved in the Classic and Prog Rock fields.  The first gig I went to was by John Wetton (King Crimson, UK, Asia - he wrote and sang "Heat of the Moment") - fantastic gig with no more than 200 people, all standing, but being like a club, what I hadn't realised was that it was normal for the band to come out afterwards, meet people, sign stuff, have photos taken and all that.  I was thrilled to meet John that night, and met him several times since - he sadly died last week and I am still in mourning.

    21st Century Schizoid Man!  Bill Bruford on Drums!!! Oh yeah!  I Love all these guys and their works!

  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

    Kewl!  Rock On!

    I've been wanting to model some music notes and bars... even before I found something at DAZ like what I wanted... didn't buy it since I want my own.  Will have to look through props to see if I have any musical instruments... that would be faster than modeling a radio or an instrument.  Better be off to the Vertex modeler.

    Chickenman,  Great topic!  As you said "The intent is to make a image representing music for you."  I assume that I don't need to have band characters... please let me know if I'm wrong.

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 13,534
    head wax said:

    I am sure Dart will put an entry in, given that he can make posters for his band etc ;)

    I probably shouldn't due to:

    The intent is to allow some of the newer users to Carrara to create and display thier artwork from Carrara

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 6,157

    I think you probably should put an entry.  I think that quote is referring to the fact that there is no modeling requirement in this challenge. 

    "3 - Modeling an object is not required but if you have ths skills or desire give it a whirl."

    head wax said:

    I am sure Dart will put an entry in, given that he can make posters for his band etc ;)

    I probably shouldn't due to:

    The intent is to allow some of the newer users to Carrara to create and display thier artwork from Carrara

     

  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,756

    I made these for the "Nostalgy" challenge, but no idea for this one...

    Jimi.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 1M
    Percu.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 648K
    Woodstock v17.jpg
    2000 x 1200 - 2M
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,016
    diomede said:

    I think you probably should put an entry.  I think that quote is referring to the fact that there is no modeling requirement in this challenge. 

    "3 - Modeling an object is not required but if you have ths skills or desire give it a whirl."

    head wax said:

    I am sure Dart will put an entry in, given that he can make posters for his band etc ;)

    I probably shouldn't due to:

    The intent is to allow some of the newer users to Carrara to create and display thier artwork from Carrara

     

    Diomede is correct i am tying to get more people to participate and by removing the modeling criteria I hope that it will give others more confidence to enter something. i would love to see and entry by the Old Gaurd of Carrara who are insperations to those of us who frequent the forum as well as all new comers.

    The more we can interest the new commers and inspire them to use Carrara the better it is for all of us.

    DUDU I love the images they are very in line with the topic.

    WDGJohn You are correct it is a representation of music to you so It could be Music notes floating in clouds as I said feel free to interpret the theme broadly I do not want to impeed anyones crativity but to inspire it.

    For some people for them the sound of gunfire and explosions may be the sound  of music for them.

     

  • MistaraMistara Posts: 25,175

    music to the eyes could be interpretive dance poses?

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 6,157
    edited February 9

    Early WIP but I like where this is taking me.  Expect more instruments.

    So, I've been trying to think of a band that Phil hasn't met.  I don't know how old Phil is, but my guess is he won't have met the people who made the music I'm interested in at the moment.  I did some research on ancient Egyptian musical instruments. I found some reference images.  There seem to be several kind of harps.  I loaded one of the reference images in the vertex modeler front camera view.  I then used polylines to outline the basic shape of the frame.  I inserted vertex cylinders to be the strings and modeified spheres to be the top knobs.  The wood grain and the wood hieroglyphs are from pics, that I will replace.  I threw in a G2F Monique with Carrara dynamic hair (diversity corn rows by Naomi).

    Reference image

    .

    Model and UVMap

    .

    WIP test render

    .

     

    aa ancient egyptian harp.jpg
    700 x 933 - 43K
    thccccccccc.jpg
    299 x 300 - 14K
    kk04 harp model and uvmap.JPG
    1895 x 1063 - 278K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,016
    MistyMist said:

    music to the eyes could be interpretive dance poses?

    Yes it could be in this instance

     

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 24,436

    ...count me in on this one.

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 6,157

    Excellent!  Come on in, the water is fine.

    .

    kyoto kid said:

    ...count me in on this one.

     

  • StezzaStezza Posts: 2,825
    edited February 9

    This one I did this morning before me and LSW went shopping..

    You only need Carrara and a paint program like PSE or GIMP to do this.

    In the modelling room create an oval for the record shape.. I then used a resized cylinder and used the boolean to create the hole in the oval.

    Then into UV editing mode for the texture settings.. I used box then top for this one.

    Then into PSE to create the record jpg using the exported UV map I made as the guide and creating a transmap using Ron's Apocalypse Brushes. ( you can use anything you like )

    Back into Carrara applied the texture and transmap I made to the oval.

    I then duplicated the oval and applied an explode modifyer to it.

    Added a simple cloud and adjusted the colour and opacity.

    Used  one of Ron's Space Brushes for the background in the assembly room Scene Properties.

    Rendered and posted here. All up it didn't take much more than 30 minutes to do.

    Not an entry but just an example of how easy it is to come up with something simple.

    Have fun and enjoy wink

     

     

     

    WiP steps.jpg
    800 x 1500 - 746K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • Wow, cool Stezza! 

    Diomede, that's a great concept. It's going to be an awesome entry!

     

  • stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited February 9

    Early WIP. Those fire primitives are definently not going to work as pyrotechnics!  Interestingly they are not affected by raytraced camera blur. 

     

     

    mjwip.png
    1388 x 862 - 925K
    mjwip2.png
    925 x 835 - 84K
    Post edited by stringtheory9 on
  • head waxhead wax Posts: 5,619

    wow that really does look like Johhny Cash!

  • head wax said:

    wow that really does look like Johhny Cash!

    I was just looking for a country song aniblock to animate him when you posted that!

  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 865

    Chickenman, thank you for the inspiring theme!

  • head waxhead wax Posts: 5,619
    edited February 9
    head wax said:

    wow that really does look like Johhny Cash!

    I was just looking for a country song aniblock to animate him when you posted that!

    :0 so you could do both kinds of music?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqESx05OuCA

     

    Post edited by head wax on
  • head wax said:
    head wax said:

    wow that really does look like Johhny Cash!

    I was just looking for a country song aniblock to animate him when you posted that!

    :0 so you could do both kinds of music?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqESx05OuCA

     

    And a few more!

  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 3,797
    edited February 9

    Here's an old render for inspiration:

    band5.png
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 4,244
    diomede said:

    Early WIP but I like where this is taking me.  Expect more instruments.

    So, I've been trying to think of a band that Phil hasn't met.  I don't know how old Phil is, but my guess is he won't have met the people who made the music I'm interested in at the moment.  I did some research on ancient Egyptian musical instruments. I found some reference images.  There seem to be several kind of harps.  I loaded one of the reference images in the vertex modeler front camera view.  I then used polylines to outline the basic shape of the frame.  I inserted vertex cylinders to be the strings and modeified spheres to be the top knobs.  The wood grain and the wood hieroglyphs are from pics, that I will replace.  I threw in a G2F Monique with Carrara dynamic hair (diversity corn rows by Naomi).

    Reference image

    .

    Model and UVMap

    .

    WIP test render

    .

     

    Really nice work - and no, I'm not that old!!

  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 4,244
    Stezza said:

    This one I did this morning before me and LSW went shopping..

    You only need Carrara and a paint program like PSE or GIMP to do this.

    In the modelling room create an oval for the record shape.. I then used a resized cylinder and used the boolean to create the hole in the oval.

    Then into UV editing mode for the texture settings.. I used box then top for this one.

    Then into PSE to create the record jpg using the exported UV map I made as the guide and creating a transmap using Ron's Apocalypse Brushes. ( you can use anything you like )

    Back into Carrara applied the texture and transmap I made to the oval.

    I then duplicated the oval and applied an explode modifyer to it.

    Added a simple cloud and adjusted the colour and opacity.

    Used  one of Ron's Space Brushes for the background in the assembly room Scene Properties.

    Rendered and posted here. All up it didn't take much more than 30 minutes to do.

    Not an entry but just an example of how easy it is to come up with something simple.

    Have fun and enjoy wink

     

     

     

    That's amazing, let alone that it only took 30 mins!

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 13,534

    Wow! Very cool... all of you!!! 

  • StezzaStezza Posts: 2,825

    Spent a few hours on this one in the arvo.. longest part was finding props to use and posing!

    Unfortunately I wanted to do some more on it this morning but it won't load.. gets to 31% and just stays there.. #$%#@$%^

    Used LoRenzo and duplicated him four times, used a black metal shader on all of them used Carrara text tool for the FAB and used the Union Jack to texture it.

    Used two lights.. one behind the group and one in front for only the text.

    Not an entry.... but it may give some more ideas on how only a couple of props and figures can make an image.

  • StezzaStezza Posts: 2,825
    PhilW said:
    Stezza said:

    This one I did this morning before me and LSW went shopping..

    You only need Carrara and a paint program like PSE or GIMP to do this.

    In the modelling room create an oval for the record shape.. I then used a resized cylinder and used the boolean to create the hole in the oval.

    Then into UV editing mode for the texture settings.. I used box then top for this one.

    Then into PSE to create the record jpg using the exported UV map I made as the guide and creating a transmap using Ron's Apocalypse Brushes. ( you can use anything you like )

    Back into Carrara applied the texture and transmap I made to the oval.

    I then duplicated the oval and applied an explode modifyer to it.

    Added a simple cloud and adjusted the colour and opacity.

    Used  one of Ron's Space Brushes for the background in the assembly room Scene Properties.

    Rendered and posted here. All up it didn't take much more than 30 minutes to do.

    Not an entry but just an example of how easy it is to come up with something simple.

    Have fun and enjoy wink

     

     

     

     

     

    That's amazing, let alone that it only took 30 mins!

    I didn't stop for a coffee laugh

    I was surprised how quickly it came together as well, I had an idea of exactly how I wanted it and knew the steps to get there and didn't want to upset the wife by delaying shopping heart yes

Sign In or Register to comment.