New User’s Contest - January 2013

DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,816
edited February 2013 in New User Contests and Events

New User's Contest - January 2013
Sponsored by DAZ 3D and Cliff Bowman

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest contest...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Past and Present"

This month’s contest is about taking inventory of your growth as an artist. As this is a New Year and a time of reflection and new beginnings, we thought it would be fun for you all to take a composition you have created in the past (your very favorite) and re-create/ re-render it now to see how your perception, artistry, and skills have grown from then to now.

When doing this, you do not need to "Copy" your exact image but rather recreate the image using different aspects you have learned since creating your original work. That may mean the posing changes, the lighting, the environment. It could mean you approach this image from a completely new and fresh perspective or it could even mean taking something you have hand drawn and translating it to 3D using new tools you've discovered.

For this contest, we ask that you post both the original image (you can post scans or photos of things done in hard copy that may not be on your PC) as well as your new version of it. We will be getting back to tutorial and concept based contests starting next month but we thought there was no better way to start a new year then with reflection on just how far you all have come!

Intent: To look at your previous work, apply new skills you've learned, and be able to visually see the growth you have accomplished from when you created the original to now.

*PLEASE NOTE: This does not mean your original was poorly done by any means. Art is something that is always evolving and changing based on changes in the artist over time. There is a natural progressions to anyone's work, it's a wonderful thing to be able to compare and contrast how things have changed whether it be based on new techniques, technology, or even your mood between then and now.

I will be checking in on the WIP THREAD as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need.

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3440/

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When working on your submissions, if you would like to get feedback as you work or before posting your final image, please post your image to the WIP THREAD. People will be popping in to the WIP THREAD to give you some critique and advice on your entry and help along the way. Please keep all comments on entries etc to the WIP THREAD as well because comments or requests for help/feedback/advice will be removed from the contest thread and merged into the WIP THREAD. This thread is only for posting final contest submissions.

For those veterans of the forums that would like to help, because this contest is designed for the beginner to learn from, we will be randomly selecting posts offering helpful tips and/or critiques to receive a special voucher as well so whether you are a seasoned artist or an aspiring one, there is fun for everyone!

"We would like to thank Cliff Bowman who has graciously decided to sponsor this month’s contest" He will be awarding a special prize to the winners of this month’s contest. To view some of Cliff Bowman items please see their store front here Cliff Bowman's Store

Closing Date: January 31st 2013

Post edited by adamr001 on

Comments

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited January 2013

POWER FIST
    Daz Studio 4.5

Original on right. I apologize for the size but wasn't sure about resizing it since I wanted to make a point of not editing the original image.

Power_Fist.jpg
    1949 x 1900 - 128K
    Power_Fist_New_3.jpg
    600 x 800 - 60K
    Post edited by ZamuelNow on
  • CyonixCyonix Posts: 210
    edited December 1969

Title: Phantasie Redux
    Software Used: DAZ Studio 4.5

First image is the contest entry, second image is the original for reference.

Phantasie_Original.jpg
    560 x 800 - 290K
    Phantasie_Redux_Final.jpg
    560 x 800 - 325K
  • gp139gp139 Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

title hover tank pilot
    software DAZ PRO
    no post work
    the top image is the first one I ever entered for the July contest

imagestank_p4.jpg
    800 x 800 - 352K
    hovertank_pilot_[1].jpg
    800 x 800 - 253K
    Post edited by gp139 on
  • pfmnelson2012pfmnelson2012 Posts: 11
    edited January 2013

Didn't realize I had to post my entry here! Matted one is entry, Bar on torso is original attempt

Goth_Dress_0_-_the_beginning.JPG
    254 x 399 - 12K
    Goth_Dress_Anchored.jpg
    540 x 844 - 450K
    Post edited by pfmnelson2012 on
  • ud09ud09 Posts: 7
    edited January 2013

Until now, I've been using the Poser2010, use a DAS Studio 4.5 recently to start.
    I ask a lot of advice in the future, many things still need to study.
    I think this contests will help a lot to study. Thank you forward.

First image is Past, and second image is Present.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title : In Lightroom

I worked with DAZ Studio 4.5, Photoshop and Painter.
    * hair retouch (highlighting + drawing detail)
    * eyelashes retouch (drawing detail)
    * flim texture and optical effects
    * color correction

03.jpg
    800 x 600 - 289K
    01.jpg
    779 x 584 - 227K
    Post edited by ud09 on
  • Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

Title: Down the Toilet 2013
    Software Used: DAZ Studio 4.5
    Postwork: Photoshop CS5
    Additional Credit: Killzones The Bathroom

I just started using DAZ back in November so I think I am still fairly new to 3D artwork. I also have never entered a contest before, but this one seemed to be a good fit for the category.

The first image is my original airbrush painting that is roughly 20 years old now. The second is my contest entry done using DAZ. Thank you to those in the WIP forum for their feedback on fixing the hair. I have also added a more dramatic Depth of Field camera and a soft glow effect today, so I think this is as good as I can get it.

Thanks.

Down-the-Toilet-v2-800.jpg
    565 x 800 - 201K
    Down-the-Toilet-v1-800.jpg
    578 x 800 - 313K
  • kittenwyldekittenwylde Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

Title: cover image for ebook "Happily Ever After?"
    Software used: DAZ Studio 4.5

First image is original, second is contest entry.

contestleena.jpg
    600 x 800 - 241K
    leena_original.jpg
    533 x 800 - 194K
  • kittenwyldekittenwylde Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

Second contest entry

Title: cover image for ebook "In Service of the Light"
    Software used: DAZ Studio 4.5

First image is original, second is redo.

jancontest2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 304K
    light_original.jpg
    533 x 800 - 404K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,395
    edited December 1969

Contest is now closed

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,395
    edited February 2013

The Winners are

1st - Phantasie Redux by Cyonix
    2nd - Down The Tolit 2013 by Geminii23
    HM - In Lightroom by ud09

Congratulations to the winners. Good job everyone who took part in this months contest.

Will the three winners please PM me a link with there choice of pack from Cliff Bowman's store. Also include your DAZ email so the packs can be added to your accounts

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to everyone--and especially to the winners! This was a really fun month...thanks for hosting, Ann!

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to the winners and not forget the other people in the contest.
    You did all great work. :-)

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to the winners but for me you all improved your images it was that some improved more than others but you all did well IMHO.