Hexagon Crashes Constantly

2»

Comments

• GhostmanGhostman Posts: 215
    edited December 1969

Hi Ghostman,

Ghostman said:
    2.0 was the one I first bought when it was released. The 2.1 fix was the last one that the Eovia team made before Daz took over it all.
    2.1 is more stable then the 2.0 one. And it is also the only version I'm using that don't crash.

Thanks for the info.

When I purchased Hexagon, it was already 2.1 (not 2.0 + 2.1 patch). It is the version I use, as the later versions I find more problematic/buggy. (although 2.2 did fix some issues, it also brought in other bugs).

I think the main problems came in 2.5 when they added the DS Bridge (which appears to be the only upgrade they have ever made to Hexagon (in 6 / 7 years), well, apart from the sculpty primitives ROFLOL).

Yeah that sculpty addon is a joke in my eyes. Would have been better if they focused on the bugs.

• RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hear,hear. :)

• Sky HndxSky Hndx Posts: 142
    edited December 1969

I use 2.5 and whenever I make changes in the preferences and use the program heavily I eventually begin getting XML parsing errors. I have no clue what an XML editor is but figured I'd have to learn to use one. I found the XML doc titled "preferences_save". When I opened it there was an error messaged that said it had white spaces in it which were not allowed. (no clue what that meant).

I went back in the preferences and set the Open GL to none and tried a few other adjustments. When I opened the preferences save doc again it opened with no error. Not certain what I stumbled upon but I'm thinking it may be the GL, for my issues anyway. Searching the forums here regarding Hexagon XML errors turned up posts in the archives with mainly glib replies and wasn't very helpful.

I'm more accustomed to Hexagon. Its the only program of it's kind I've ever used. But I'm becoming more and more curious about Zbrush.

• GhostmanGhostman Posts: 215
    edited December 1969

Sky_ said:
    I use 2.5 and whenever I make changes in the preferences and use the program heavily I eventually begin getting XML parsing errors. I have no clue what an XML editor is but figured I'd have to learn to use one. I found the XML doc titled "preferences_save". When I opened it there was an error messaged that said it had white spaces in it which were not allowed. (no clue what that meant).

I went back in the preferences and set the Open GL to none and tried a few other adjustments. When I opened the preferences save doc again it opened with no error. Not certain what I stumbled upon but I'm thinking it may be the GL, for my issues anyway. Searching the forums here regarding Hexagon XML errors turned up posts in the archives with mainly glib replies and wasn't very helpful.

I'm more accustomed to Hexagon. Its the only program of it's kind I've ever used. But I'm becoming more and more curious about Zbrush.

I can nothing but talk positive about Zbrush. I use it almost daily together with Hexagon and it's a neat workflow.

• rol3drol3d Posts: 40
    edited December 1969

Had the crashing problem when I sent to UV seams. Appeared to occur when I move the cursor. Tried all kinds of stuff with no success. Then upgraded video driver -> no more shutdown!

• ausairausair Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I've picked up these tips from the forums which may help stabilize hex on modern operating systems

Tip 1

One caution - do NOT install to Program Files or Program Files (X86)! In Win7 those are write-protected directories, and Hexagon tries to save a number of its components in its home directory when you use it. Just install to C:\Hexagon or some other such (I used C:\DAZ-3D\Hex, but that’s just me being me).

Tip 2

There is a bug/problem with Hexagon attempting to use multi-processors.
    Please try:- Open nVidia control panel-> Managed 3d settings. Change the option:- “Threaded Optimization” to “Off”

Tip 3

Turn off triple buffering in video card settings.

Hope these tips help you stabilize Hexagon.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Tip 4
    If you have a 64 bit Windows, use Large Adress Aware and give Hexagon 3GB RAM
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556

• edited September 2013

Hi all, same problems here, when use Genesis 2 in DAZ Studio, bridge to Hexagon and try to do anything with UV and Paint tools ALWAYS appear the message "An internal error has ocurred" (HEXAGON 1 IMAGE) tried everything i think, disable openGL optimization, apply "laa_2_0_4" to use more RAM, reset preferences, also installed in c:, have the latest drivers for my card, make a PC format, have Windows 7, 64x and 8g ram, upload any images and dxdiag.

Anyone knows how disable the error messages in Hexagon? because if i continue pressing the left mouse button when the error message appear (HEXAGON 2 IMAGE) can deform the model and also send back to DAZ3D and the morph run perfectly, of course isnt the solution because cant rotate the camera or do anything more in hexagon to obtain a decent morph in DAZ Studio...

Also have problems to import modified .obj models from Hexagon to DAZ Studio, i receive always the same message "Warning: Geometry did not match, failed to create morph" checking alot of tutorials but nothing run, use subdivisión level 0 and also resolution level base, also select the Hexagon (1unit=1cm) option. Even tried without modificated models just send the .obj back to DAZ Stuido intact but the error message is the same... With Zbrush have no problems to work with objects and send back to DAZ Studio to make morphs, but the bridge is another history, tyvm.

HEXAGON_2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 436K
    HEXAGON_1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 411K
    Dxdiag.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 399K
    Post edited by shambleresp_eb83ebd029 on
  • kokorosenshikokorosenshi Posts: 23
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Tip 4
    If you have a 64 bit Windows, use Large Adress Aware and give Hexagon 3GB RAM
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556

I know this thread is old but kerya's help with hexagon helped a ton, not only did it stop giving an internal error with shaping tools but it also helped hexagon stop crashing when i was extruding with a different file that wouldn't stop crashing, i'm about to share this with the entire world

edited December 1969

It helps to remove all textures from the model before sending it over the bridge ...

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Hi Kerya

I was going to suggest that, but couldn't find a method to do it in Studio (not a regular Studio user) - could you explain, please :)

edited December 1969

Load Genesis2Female or Male (Genesis1 loads without textures) - Select her/him in your Scene Tab - Go to the Surface Tab - Select the uppermost Genesis 2 Female or Male - Click on every little grey square in front of Diffuse, Opacity Strength and so on - set to "none".
    Or use this one:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/77641/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Genesis-2-Grey-Material-Presets
    :)

edited December 1969

shambleresp ... a bit late, maybe you are still reading here?

I just set the Subdivision Level to Zero and sent G2F over the bridge.
    I used the Soften, Pinch and Inflate Tools in UV & Paint, I selected facets and translated them ...
    Sent her back over the bridge and my morph was created.

edited December 1969

Load Genesis2Female or Male (Genesis1 loads without textures) - Select her/him in your Scene Tab - Go to the Surface Tab - Select the uppermost Genesis 2 Female or Male - Click on every little grey square in front of Diffuse, Opacity Strength and so on - set to “none”.
    Or use this one:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/77641/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Genesis-2-Grey-Material-Presets
    smile

Thank you, Kerya :)

I'll go for the second option :)

• Sky HndxSky Hndx Posts: 142
    edited April 2015

...nvm, its still borken. Really thought I had something there for a moment.

Post edited by Sky Hndx on
  • LegalizeAdulthoodLegalizeAdulthood Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

Also have problems to import modified .obj models from Hexagon to DAZ Studio, i receive always the same message "Warning: Geometry did not match, failed to create morph"

OK, still a n00b here, but I think this means you've changed the topology of the model: added or removed points, edges or faces. A morph only translates the points on the existing topology, it isn't an arbitrary geometry change. If you change the topology, then it won't match up and the bridge won't be able to make sense of it and give that message.

I hope that helps!

• alantialanti Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Resetting your Preferences works for a lot of people.

Increasing the number of Undoes to say 60 might help too. Set OpenG optimisation to 'No Optimisation'.

You could try some of these to see if it helps, but what OS are you using? If it is a Mac, Hex never worked well on most versions.

Worked for me,as Hexagon had suddenly stopped displaying objects .:-)

• garbanzolasvegasgarbanzolasvegas Posts: 53
    edited December 1969

a lot of these issue can betaken care of by disabling dynamic geometry, or setting it to a different setting.

Also if you leave any object with dynamic geometry engaged, i.e. SMOOTHED then saved then close then reopen.. you will loose everything in the enter file when you try to reopen it

edited December 1969

Also if you leave any object with dynamic geometry engaged, i.e. SMOOTHED then saved then close then reopen.. you will loose everything in the enter file when you try to reopen it

Not really - open the "Baby face" model supplied with Hex content. It has smoothing and DG active and opens without problems. The problem comes in when you export as .obj without collapsing DG.

I do agree that a lot of problems can be solved by correctly using DG - for instance, don't try to do an operation with a spline that has DG without out first verifying and collapsing DG.

• esapesaesapesa Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

Hi guys.

I am trying to weld text together, following TapiocaTundras' tutorial (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19196/).
    However... Every time I try H2 crashes.
    I've changed the preferences and set the system to dedicate 3 gig to H2. And still it keeps crashing.

I'm on a 64b Windows 7.

It really starting to annoy me.

I've read through this thread and I can't figure out where the issue with H2 and how I fix it.

Help?
    Please?

edited December 1969

Is it only when following the tut that Hex crashes, or is this common? At what point in the tut does Hex crash?

Taking another look at that tut, it seems overly complex and very poly-heavy to me.

A simpler method is to make your text - no need to push the tessellation to the max - 3 or 4 is good enough for nice smooth text.

Ungroup, then, selecting each letter, triangulate the n-gons. You can then either weld the lot together if you want the text to stay as one word in Studio, or leave them as separate letters if you want to move them as separate items. Do your materials and send to Studio over the bridge.

edited December 1969

Here's what worked for me:

1) Create 3D Text in Hexagon from the 3D Primitives tab
    2) In the Scene panel, select the Scene Tree tab. Right click on the text object (should be named 'Text0') and select Ungroup to the root.
    3) Select all the letters in your text that are not space characters
    4) Select Triangulate n-gons from the Utilities tab
    5) Send to DAZ Studio

If in step 3) you accidentally selected any of the nodes in the scene tree that were generated for 'space' characters, you will get an error "No facets with more than 4 points or no object selected".

Once in DAZ Studio, the quadrilaterals still seem to be a little weird in the shading, but the normals look correct in Hexagon. I'm not sure what the problem is there.

spaces_selected.png
    350 x 150 - 3K
    edited December 1969

I also get some artifacts rendering in Studio and to a far lesser extent in Carrara and Blender - it is as if the sides of the letters are non-planar and make strange shadows and highlights. Improved somewhat by unifying the normals in Hex, but still unacceptable.

I would still recommend using Elefont - it does a great job

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

Just hoping in to say I still use hexagon and occasionally find Roygee's tips when I search google when I run into issues. I know initially some tricks found here help me get Hexagon to be a bit more reliable. Glad to see this trustworthy thread still on the first page :)

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    I also get some artifacts rendering in Studio and to a far lesser extent in Carrara and Blender - it is as if the sides of the letters are non-planar and make strange shadows and highlights. Improved somewhat by unifying the normals in Hex, but still unacceptable.

I would still recommend using Elefont - it does a great job

Yeah, I think this is a problem in DAZ Studio. If you go to the surface properties and turn off smoothing, then the artifact disappears, but of course you're stuck with a faceted look at that point.

I think if you chamfer the text before sending across the bridge, it might work better, but I haven't verified that yet.

edited December 1969

Just had another play with it - found that if I triangulate the edges of the letters, so there can't possibly be any non-planar facets, it renders without artifacts in Blender, Carrara and Bryce - still a couple of unexplained shadows in Studio.

Got me beat - can't chamfer after triangulation of n-gons. Tried chamfering before triangulating, but Hex crashes on some letters. Not worth bothering further :)

• XadeXade Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

One thing that I tried and seems to work is compatibility mode, it settled on xp sp 3 and it has been working much better. for the past 10 minutes or so. Runs smoother and less hang. I dont know if this was solved, I didnt feel like wading through 4 pages.

I leaned Blender from www.blendercookie.com. I plan on building in Blender, exporting to hexagon to make sure everything is right then on to daz studio, for my props and stuff :P

• JalnorJalnor Posts: 5

Very old thread to revive, but it popped up on a Google search and seems to be my only hope. I've tried a few things from the thread but, if they were solutions to my particular problem, updates since have rendered the advice deprecated.

So... I have a twofold problem, creating relatively simple 3D objects. No dynamic geometry, no complicated UV issues, nothing particularly big. First problem, sending brand new objects across the Daz bridge never gets anywhere. Edited Daz objects, yep, they go through fine, but any new geometries seem to fall off the bridge half way, with no error messages. (Hexagon acts like it did everything it was supposed to and passes me over to Daz, which just sits there like "what do you want?")

So I tried exporting as .obj files. That *was* working for a while, but has suddenly stopped: when I accept the options in the export dialogue, I get the "system busy" cursor for 3 or 4 seconds and then Hexagon just vanishes. I turned off OpenGL (took me more seconds than I'd like to admit before I realised that "OpenG" was just short for OpenGL) and nothing changed. Using Hexagon 2.5.2.109 on Win10. Anyone have any idea what might be going on here?