Is it just me or is Firefox having issues with the site lately?

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

With Waterfox, go to the plug in page on the site you downloaded it from and download and install those versions of Flash, Java and Silverlight. They should make a difference. Also, I've never, EVER used Symantec products. I use AVG and have never had any significant browser issues no matter what I've been using. Daz always loads perfectly for me.

Always check your plug ins to see what's installed and what's active or disabled.

CHEERS!

Thanks so much for the heads up on WaterFox.... downloaded that two of the 3 plugins (I have Silverlight installed already)

On the Anti Virus stuff... AVG is about as bloated as Symantic is these days. I uninstalled that from my friends older laptop because it was bogged down with crap. Turns out it was AVG and opted for MS Security Essentials, which is what I run on my Win 8 machine. His little laptop now fly's!

edited December 1969

WOW... it's just basically a 64 bit Firefox. All of my bookmarks, passwords and layout all work with this. Fast and so far everything is loading. Sending this link to my friends outside of 3D!

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Great!

I think you'll still need Silverlight for Waterfox as I think it's a special version just for Waterfox.

How good is Microsoft Security Essenetials? Does it catch as many things as AVG does? If it's as good as, or better than AVG then I might switch to it myself.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

I'm reading up on it right now and MSE and AVG are going at it like Clubber Lang and Rocky Balboa!

Interestingly, while doing this, AVG popped up to tell me that it had blocked a trojan on one of the pages I'd opened!

I'll see who emerges as the champ!

CHEERS!

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 2012

Because nothing else was working, I cleared my cookies and cache and now everything is loading correctly.

I guess I need to do it on a regular basis.

AVG is difficult to completely remove from your machine. There is a program that you will have to run and it still doesn't get rid of everything.

Post edited by ledhead on
    edited December 1969

I use Piriform CCLeaner, which clears out the cookies and caches for you, I find it a useful tool. Rocky and Clubber are still at it and neither one has totally come out on top yet!

I'm inclined to give MSE a whirl though.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

And BOOM, Rocky wins by a knockout!!

I took out AVG and put MSE in and everything is SO much faster. PP2012 likes it too, that is a lot faster to load now. I seem to remember, back in my P7 days that AVG's link scanner was causing problems with it.

So far, so good!

CHEERS!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

And BOOM, Rocky wins by a knockout!!

I took out AVG and put MSE in and everything is SO much faster. PP2012 likes it too, that is a lot faster to load now. I seem to remember, back in my P7 days that AVG's link scanner was causing problems with it.

So far, so good!

CHEERS!

Back when they first added the link scanner, a couple of the AVG devs hung out in a I chatroom I frequented. I argued with them until I couldn't see straight about the disadvantages of it scanning every link, every where (including local links) by default...their response was always...'Oh you won't notice the decrease in speed...'

Well, that's because it's so busy scanning and bogging your PC down so much, it's like sitting in Los Angeles traffic at rush hour...

That's the day I stripped AVG from my computers and pulled their banner from my site and quit recommending them....and it's been more than 5 yrs since that day.

Basically, the Library in Poser is a 'browser'...so, yeah, it falls under what gets scanned by AVG.

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Great!

I think you'll still need Silverlight for Waterfox as I think it's a special version just for Waterfox.

How good is Microsoft Security Essenetials? Does it catch as many things as AVG does? If it's as good as, or better than AVG then I might switch to it myself.

CHEERS!

I love MS Security Essentials. I can't say how it compares with any of the others out there but it does NOT bog my system down in the least and that's important.

I wasn't sure about the Silverlight plugin since according to the MS download page it checked my system and told me it was up to date.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,439
    edited December 1969

I love it to. I've used it for several years now and never had a single issue.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 2012

Does anyone know if Waterfox works on XP 64? I searched but can't find any mention of anything other than win 7.

Edit - Nevermind. I went to the download page and it says Xp 64. They really ought to mention that on the About page. I googled it too and got nothing for XP.

mac

Post edited by maclean on
    edited December 1969

I just found something else that helps to speed things up, kicking out all the manufacturer software that laptops and the like are preinstalled with. It's all bloatware and Windows takes care of most of the things they do anyway. All they do is hog RAM and disc space. I kicked out all the HP stuff and my laptop boots so fast now!

All I need to do now is defrag and I'm home and host!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

I just found something else that helps to speed things up, kicking out all the manufacturer software that laptops and the like are preinstalled with. It's all bloatware and Windows takes care of most of the things they do anyway. All they do is hog RAM and disc space. I kicked out all the HP stuff and my laptop boots so fast now!

All I need to do now is defrag and I'm home and host!

CHEERS!

Two things...run the 'make the rescue disk'/'install disk'/whatever your laptop manufacturer calls it, FIRST.

And...make sure you don't remove your printer controls, too...often times the Windows printer controls are just basic. Of course if your primary machine is a desktop, you could leave all the printer stuff on it and just use the basic on the laptop. But if you have an all-in-one that is network capable you will also lose the ability to scan to the laptop, without the manufacturer's utility...and in HP's case, these days it's often loaded with 'features' you don't need (autoupdates, direct buy from the HP store and a ton of other crap)...now if you don't need it...NUKE IT!

(Really ticked me off when I found that all that crap is bundled with the HP printer controls...but, since my wife makes regular use of it and it's her laptop...on it stays.)

• Gusf1Gusf1 Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

I've been having the problem of store images not loading for a long time now. I noticed today that whenever i roll the mouse over the "add to cart" button, the picture loads immediately. I just tried this on the new releases and i works like a charm. Anyone else try this? Maybe there is a problem with the buttons and not everything else.
    Gus

edited December 2012

mjc1016 said:

Two things...run the 'make the rescue disk'/'install disk'/whatever your laptop manufacturer calls it, FIRST.

And...make sure you don't remove your printer controls, too...often times the Windows printer controls are just basic. Of course if your primary machine is a desktop, you could leave all the printer stuff on it and just use the basic on the laptop. But if you have an all-in-one that is network capable you will also lose the ability to scan to the laptop, without the manufacturer's utility...and in HP's case, these days it's often loaded with 'features' you don't need (autoupdates, direct buy from the HP store and a ton of other crap)...now if you don't need it...NUKE IT!

(Really ticked me off when I found that all that crap is bundled with the HP printer controls...but, since my wife makes regular use of it and it's her laptop...on it stays.)

I have an Epson printer so I got lucky there. The only HP thing I kept was the software for the fingerprint scanner, I like that and it saves having to remember and type a password to get into Windows. I had a good old clean with CCLeaner, a defrag with Puran Defrag (highly recommended) and ran a scan with MSE. I have to say that my laptop purrs like a kitten now! It used to feel like Bagpuss!

I never had issues with the store here, maybe I just got lucky with that

CHEERS!

PS (One thing that did annoy me was that PowerDVD 9 came preinstalled on the laptop before this one, BUT, there wasn't an installation disc, so I couldn't put it on this one!)

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,202
    edited December 2012

I may have commented in this thread earlier but I have an itch so...

I popped in on the previous page and saw some comments about AVG scanning oodles of links and slowing down the system. Yep! I've had customers that try to tell me that they use AVG and and love it. So after removing the virus/trojan/goop that got in and boogered them I remove AVG and install MSE instead and they comment that the system runs faster than it ever did and think I'm god. (of course I'm not, but I don't discourage that type of thinking)

With MSE installed they may still get a virus but at least they can delve into the nasty parts of the web much quicker. 8-o

I install MSE for the people who want a freebie.

I install Norton InternetSecurity for those who pay. I'll install other A/V products if the customer already has it paid for, but mumble under my breath all the way.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited December 1969

I'll certainly never go back to anything else.

CHEERS!

• TomokatuTomokatu Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

First my purchases wouldn't download properly when I was still using IE8. I put up a support ticket and was advised that I should switch to FireFox (a whole new browser to install! - grumble)

Did that with all the inconvenience involved. (more grumble)

Now, I have the problem with product images not loading and to fix that i need to whitlist "cloud" something in "NoScripts" (wherever THAT may be hiding!)

Bottom line, for this Grumpy Old Man (who was last comfortable with DOS 5.0, not win95/98/XP) is that whoever is making it more difficult for me to spend money at DAZ has finally succeeded.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,439
    edited December 1969

It's a very random problem that is only effecting some people. I don't have any problems viewing anything in FireFox.

edited December 1969

Just out of interest, what hardware/software are people that are having issues using?

For all we know you may all be using something that is causing conflicts with Firefox or you may be missing a plug in or something like that.

For those of us for which it is working, do we have something installed that the others don't?

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Roger,

My quick count of the most common problem reports was Symantec or Kaspersky as an AV, FF and IE for browsers. Some version of Windows 7 or 8. With a large number of the problems coming after some updates (one regular Windows Update (there was another 'pushed' WU that some people got, that may be having an impact too), 2 NoScript updates and 3 of the most commonly subscribed block lists for the AdBlock family) not counting the regular AV updates. Those are updates on machines in my home, since this current round started, a couple of weeks ago.

FF was/is probably the most common 'error' producer, regardless of OS.

The actual cause is content from Cloudflare not reaching the affected user. How and where it's being blocked...???? Way too many configs to nail it down to just one thing, I think.

I can replicate it on command...one of several ways, all of which involve blocking cloudflare. I can do it in NoScript, AdBlock Plus, by IP at my firewall (no resident, always running AV on here...)

edited December 2012

So you think it's the AdBlock Plus extension that might be causing this from within FF or WF???

I just disabled it on DAZ3D and will see if that improves things. WaterFox is better in allot of ways but I'm still having page loading issues. Example. If I load an image heavy page it will stop loading about 2/3rd's of the way down. If I click the refresh button then it's all loaded just fine. If I just let it sit there waiting for it to get past it on it's own it never does. Very annoying!

Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited December 1969

Not sure exactly which is the problem, other than I can manually block Cloudflare and end up imageless..

edited December 1969

Well not sure if this is really making a difference but since I removed the option to block anything from DAZ3D seems a bit better or I'm just having a better session... lol

• Gusf1Gusf1 Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Not sure exactly which is the problem, other than I can manually block Cloudflare and end up imageless..

If you do that, try mousing over the "add to cart" button and see if the images load then.
    Gus

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,606
    edited December 1969

..if Daz goes totally into the cloud they lose me. I'm not rendering while online because it compromises performance, and I'm not leaving copyrighted material there either.

Those of us on DA with have already dealt with the issue of "art theft".

Hackers will do what ever they can to screw with people's livelihoods because we are "softer" targets than the big corps and government.

edited December 1969

It's odd you mention Adblock as causing problems, I have the Pop Up Add On and the updated Ad Blocker installed and they're all fine, as is DAZ..

Go figure....

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

It's odd you mention Adblock as causing problems, I have the Pop Up Add On and the updated Ad Blocker installed and they're all fine, as is DAZ..

Go figure....

CHEERS!

Most of AdBlock's problems would be from which blocklist you subscribe to...

The one I'm using had Cloudflare added to blocked stuff, by default...I had to disable the filter manually. I found that in about 5 secs the first time I saw 'no pics'.

One of the problems with things like Cloudflare is that they aren't too concerned about the content they distribute, so if someone takes exception, instead of blocking the specific provider, they opt to block the top level and then all the legit/non-advertising content also goes into the abyss. And then, it gets propagated among the block lists and takes forever to remove. (I remember a time when a certain group started actively working to get certain sites like MalwareBytes blacklisted on as many lists as they could...)

Using block lists sometimes comes back to bite you on the backside.

edited December 1969

I see,

So if I don't subscribe to any block list, does it still do its job?

CHEERS!

• TraceSLTraceSL Posts: 519
    edited December 1969

this is what I get, two diffent PC, one Vista and one Win7 both 64OS running IE8 & IE9, Chrome works fine. Cache clean and security setting played around with,

DAZ.JPG
    1111 x 818 - 79K