edited July 2016 in Bryce Discussion
  • 22nd Daz3D Bryce Render challenge

•  

• Now Sponsored by Daz 3D

•  

•  Theme for this challenge is ~~"LIGHT AND COLOUR"~~

• #################################################################

• Once again a theme that can be interpreted in many different ways

Can you think outside the box with this one? or would you rather be traditional. 

Your imagination is the only limit.

This thread is the WIP thread, so you can post here to show us how things are coming along before the render is transferred to the actual Contest thread for judging. You don't have to do that.we collect up all the finished ones and make the thread, with each render given a number and title, but no artist name shown, so it's a blind judging thread for the judging panel.

Rules

• 

All renders must be new renders.
  • 

You can enter up to 3 renders.
  • 

You must abide by the DAZ 3D forum TOS
  • 

Imported content is allowed, but the render must be obviously a Bryce render.
  • 

Post Work permitted, but please keep it to a minimum.
  • 

Rules may be changed for subsequent Challenges, depending on the theme and the person who has selected it.
  • 

The winner of the Challenge will get the chance to name the theme for the next contest.
  • 

This will then continue with subsequent winners choosing the theme for the next contest, which will enable a new contest to start with the minimum of delay between contests.
  • 

Whoever nominates the subject for the Challenge can modify the rules to suit that challenge.

Please don't post your entry renders anywhere else until after the Challenge is judged, as judging is done in a blind judging thread, so the Judges don't know who has done which image.

Challenge ends on 31st August :- Midnight DAZ 3D time

DAZ 3D Sponsorship, in the form of Store credit

Ist Place $30
2nd Place $20
3rd place $15

In addition DAZ 3D Store Credit will be given to the people whose renders are selected as the Honourable mentions,
$10 for each of 3 honorable mentions

We will also be offering a special prize for the render judged the best from a Bryce New User. DAZ 3D will add $10.

Judged by members of the DAZ 3D CV team and guest judges.

By entering this contest, you agree to allow DAZ3D to use any artwork you submit in any promotional materials they may choose.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 918

hey, nice theme Chohole... I'm sure  we can see many beautiful Artwork here smiley

And I'm sure I've Ideas....

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596

Did I miss something?, can't find the judging thread or results for the Storm challenge.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

No   sorry.   I did it different this time (slightly) and only copied the judging thread to a hidden forum for the judges.    Trouble is  I am still not thinking quite straight yet,  and also Judges keep going on holidays,   so collecting votes has been fun.    So far I have only had 4 judges vote,  time to roll in some emrgency judges I think

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596

Ok Chohole. Thanks for explaining.

• drachenlordsdrachenlords Posts: 821

What a nice theme. Then I immediately drop the lightsabers of the Jedi to a - light and color.
    My first attempt so:

Jedis.

Jedi 3.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 707K
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756

Ah, a theme that lends itself very much to an abstract!

But clearly also for all kinds of realistic or scifi work, as shown by the first entry of drachenlords!

• mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
    @drachenlords ...Jedi .. A wonderful start to this challenge..Very nice And...A great challenge theme...Here we go!
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited July 2016

Surprisingly I managed a render that didn't take weeks or months to finish rendering.  I'm a bit worried that I'm overlooking something important.  :-)  So here is my super-early entry, "specimens".  I took some liberties with the realities of mineral combinations, and unfortunately I don't see a way to get the smokey quartz to look totally accurate, but I'm still reasonably happy with it.

specimens.jpg
    1434 x 1007 - 1M
    Post edited by sriesch on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,997
    edited July 2016

A great start to this challenge – awesome entries by Drachenlords and Sriesch

I was going to post this in the Show us your renders thread, but saw the new challenge and decided to use it as my first entry. 

Starry Lights

lightcolor.jpg
    600 x 600 - 66K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited July 2016

#1 Crystal Universe

Click on image for full size.

crystal-light-01.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 560K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
    edited July 2016

Great renders, so far!

Here is my first one.  It has got six sphere lights, two spotlights and the sun. No atmosphere. Rendered in with regular AA. Pure Bryce, except for the transforming from Tiff to JPG. No other postwork, whatsoever. It did take some fiddling to get the background colours this way. They are caused by two similar spheres around the scene with similar, but slighly different textures that are also rotated compared to each other

Had to think of a wonderful song by Iggy Pop: "Turn Blue". It has the line: "Mamma, what colour will the lights be? Will they turn blue on me?" It is a sad song which ends with: "Mamma I shot myself!"

Now, my render was not inspired by this song, but somehow the render made me think of the song anyway. So, I'll call it: "What colour will the lights be?"

colour in the darkness.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 418K
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,099

Really nice renders so far !

• Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 918
    edited July 2016

Wow.... really nice renders here smiley

Here's my first entry:

the Brycer's Pub.

Brycer's Pub.jpg
    1400 x 787 - 717K
    Post edited by Yellow Pen on

@Yellow Pen, I love the glass on the windows of the pub.

edited July 2016

@Yellow Pen : very nice composition.

My first entry. Temple of Illumination.

The statues are downloaded from the net, the temple is modeled in Wings 3D.

The temple of Illumination.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 88K
    Post edited by adbc on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,120
    edited July 2016

drachenlords - great idea and superbly done.

sriesch - beautiful quartz selection.

Mermaid - great shapes, well done RGB render.

Fishtales - neat idea of a crystal universe, looks great.

Hansmar - very special and charming, the coloured object looks cool.

Yellow Pen - meet you at the pub, and the windows are great.

adbc - great temple model interestingly lit.

My first entry: Coloured Lights

Coloured Lights

ColouredLights.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 162K
    Post edited by Horo on

@Horo : an explosion of colours and lights !

Thanks for your comment.

edited July 2016

adbc - thank you.

My second etry: Angular Rubble

Angular Rubble

AngulaRubble.jpg
    1200 x 795 - 303K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited July 2016

Wow... Great renders so far... I've done the obvious (well I thought it was obvious).

Title: Prism

Prism.jpg
    650 x 650 - 381K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on

@Yellow Pen: Makes me thirsty; Great window indeed.

@adbc: Fantastic coloured lights in your temple render.

@Horo: Thank you. Very nice renders. Specifically the first one is a wonderful explosion of light and colours. Second one is a bit, how to say this, 'non-descript'. I think the colourd facets are beautiful, but there are so many of them, that there is no logical point of attention in your work, which therefore is less attractive.

@Dave Savage: obvious? Maybe. But certainly not very easy to create as succesfully and beautifully as you did!

Dave - cool render. That's what raytracing cannot do natively. Very well done!

Hansmar - thank you. You are right, there's no focus on the rubble render - but it was fun doing it.

• mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444

@sriesch... Specimens very nice... a lot of great reflections
    @mermaid... Starry Lights ... Just love the starry reflections (I presume) in the spheres coming from those 4 lights... very cool effect
    @fishtales... Crystal Universe has a lot of great crystalline reflections
    @hansmar...what colour will the lights be... is interesting...
    @yellowpen...Brycer's Pub.. very fun ... I like the light coming from the inside shining through the green beer bottles...showing their colours...
    @abc... your Temple of Illumination is very colourful, reminescent of some 1970's posters... get out your black light...
    @horo... Coloured Lights... I  enjoy the subtle shadowing of the overlapping spheres of light...  Angular Rubble is great... looking at it for a while... one can almost create figures like looking at clouds and seeing faces.... nice and fun
    @davesavage... Prism is great... and yes I thought of Pink Floyd but wasn't sure how to approach it... this is very nice...

• drachenlordsdrachenlords Posts: 821

Amazing works from everybody here. What a great Contest and thanks for the Comments.

Here ist my second Try:

Ghostbusters:

Ghostbusters.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 554K

@Hansmar and mtnmen : thank you for your comment.

@Horo : rubble it is, looks (to me) like a lot of blown up paper objects. Like the colours.

@Dave Savage : That's really good work.

@drachenlords: surreal, paranormal.... well done.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited July 2016

Thanks all. I'm sure there must be a better way of achieving the effect and I may rework it to see. It's very grainy at the moment.

Meanwhile, my second entry was a lot easier using David's Stained Glass material, Dan's Fog material and just one radial light.

Title: Church Cat

WindowLight.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 547K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited July 2016

@Dave Savage : nice image, cool reflection of the stained glass.

Time for my second entry, Just Looking ...

Just an abstract scene using spheres, tori and lights, imported a version of Genesis's head and textured it with Bryce.

Just looking ....jpg
    800 x 500 - 110K
    Post edited by adbc on
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited July 2016

Great images, everyone!  Looks like another fabulous contest.

Here's my first entry: Color of Music

All Bryce. No postwork.  I converted Horo's Neon Wires HDRI into a kaleidoscope HDRI and used it to light the scene..

ETA: Made into a full size wallpaper.

Color_of_Music2_Wallpaper.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Fencepost52 on
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited July 2016

Here's my second entry: Hippie Infinity Cube

I used Horo's Rad_back1a HDRI to light the scene.  A white radial light was placed in the throat of the infinity cube to provide highlights.

Hippie_Infinity_Cube.jpg
    800 x 800 - 807K
    Post edited by Fencepost52 on

Here's my first entry: Color of Music

Nice one!

drachenlords - Ghostbusters looks great.

adbc - thank you. Your abstract is nicely done. The hair is incredible.

Dave - very cool use of the stained glass material.

Fencepost - two great entries, difficult for me to decide which one I like better.