13»

Comments

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,333
    edited November 2013

edited and removed by user

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,510
    edited December 1969

Is there any country in the world where it is actually possible to block phone numbers?

- - -

This is one of the things that keeps puzzling me.

It is possible to put e-mails in the junk folder or to block them completly, we can ignore people on websites and in forums but when it comes to phones we still have to accept that anyone can call our number.

In Sweden you can block you private numbers via a blocking service, and if you still get calls they are frauds or you can sue them for calling you.

Btw, I've got lots of those fraud calls from Pakistan/India with someone introduce them self with the following phraze (picture a very bad indian English accent) "Hello, my name is John Smith and I'm calling from the Windows Operating systems corporation and we see that your license has expired...."

The two last times I've told them "Thanks for calling this number, you've been pinpointed, the missile will strike your building in five minutes".

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited May 2013

Is there any country in the world where it is actually possible to block phone numbers?

- - -

This is one of the things that keeps puzzling me.

It is possible to put e-mails in the junk folder or to block them completly, we can ignore people on websites and in forums but when it comes to phones we still have to accept that anyone can call our number.

...which like I mentioned earlier, is one of the reasons why I haven't had a phone for years.

Paid extra for an unlisted number, still got pestered, Went on the No Call List when that first started up, still got pestered, Then there were these calls from people who sounded a lot like like drug dealers which made me wonder who had the number before it was assigned to me?

Then out of the blue came a 140$ "mystery charge" (on top of my monthly bill) that the phone company wouldn't give me any details about in spite of repeated requests.

Closed my account unplugged the phone put it back in the box where it sat for ya few years before I donated it to a charity organisation.

My email. No issues. Save for Dreamlight promos, I maybe get a couple emails a month I have to label as "Spam".

I have no accounts on any of the social media sites, links to them are removed from web pages through browser plugins, and have them blocked by my Security suite.

I like my privacy and having control of when I want to be "sociable" so I can work on other things without interruption.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited December 1969

Btw, I’ve got lots of those fraud calls from Pakistan/India with someone introduce them self with the following phraze (picture a very bad indian English accent) “Hello, my name is John Smith and I’m calling from the Windows Operating systems corporation and we see that your license has expired….”

Funny you mention that, I've received four calls from a guy with a similar accent saying he's from a computer center with a name that I still cannot understand wanting me to turn on my PC so he can prove that it's loaded with viruses and that he can fix it. He just called for the fourth time about 10 minutes ago. I was nice the first two times, but I told him not to call again on the third call and again this time.

If he calls a fifth time, I'm going to tell him HE better have good anti-virus protection. ;)

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,510
    edited December 1969

Btw, I’ve got lots of those fraud calls from Pakistan/India with someone introduce them self with the following phraze (picture a very bad indian English accent) “Hello, my name is John Smith and I’m calling from the Windows Operating systems corporation and we see that your license has expired….”

Funny you mention that, I've received four calls from a guy with a similar accent saying he's from a computer center with a name that I still cannot understand wanting me to turn on my PC so he can prove that it's loaded with viruses and that he can fix it. He just called for the fourth time about 10 minutes ago. I was nice the first two times, but I told him not to call again on the third call and again this time.

If he calls a fifth time, I'm going to tell him HE better have good anti-virus protection. ;)

They want you to go to a site and enter your creditcard number, just tell him the call is being traced and the call will be cancelled faster that Lucky Luck draws his gun.

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Personally I like telemarketers. I have no friends or a social life. It is welcoming to hear the phone ring. I pretty much give all of them money or buy whatever they are selling. I even give them my SSN# if it is needed. If I were a millionaire, well, I wouldn't be. I can't wait for the next person to call me. I just need to be accepted and have love in my life. The phone is ringing, gotta go. I sure hope it is another telemarketer so I can give them some more of my money. Damn, it was just my wife asking if I spent any money today. She's always hounding me over money for some damn reason. Like I have any money to give her. The drawbacks of marriage. Well all of you have a nice day and remember telemarketers are people too.

Update: I just give away my house, so we have to move now. At least we still have one of our cars left.

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

That is the Microsoft scam. As I understand it, they talk you into opening some ports on your computer and then remotely install spyware to steal your financial data. They want to you to do a windows key + r (opens the run command window) and then type in stuff.

They have called me a bunch of times. If I have nothing better to do, I will waste their time by acting computer illiterate. I figure wasting these thief's time is my duty. It keeps them from getting someone who does not know what they are doing.

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...getting an error screen on this end.

Search 'Tom Mabe telemarket prank' on Youtube.

On another hand, maybe I should learn Klingon.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited May 2013

...got things working again, that was absolutely hilarious.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

JHoagland said:
    I use a device called a Telezapper which sends out the "disconnected line" tones whenever someone calls. This is usually enough to stop most telemarketers since the tones tell their computers that my number has been disconnected so it's a waste of time to keep calling me.

One panelist at a convention I recently attended demonstrated her favorite technique, which is just as effective when dealing with human callers. She simply picks up the phone and says "The number you have dialed is no longer in service..."
    This is very convincing when she does it, since she happens to be the voice artist who recorded the automated messages for one of the major phone companies.