DSON for Poser - Whats YOUR verdict ?

SasqwachSasqwach Posts: 25
edited October 2012 in The Commons

Just curious as to what everyones user experiences have been so far with the DSON importer for Poser ?

I spent best part of the weekend trailing the DSON importer and my opinion would be "not yet".

I'm an ardent supporter of both Daz and Poser...Sadly tho my work flow is often split between the two, least it gives me a different approach and choice.

-The beauty of P9 is WM, SSS, ease of animation, the morph brush and Posers vast array of lighting options available (IBL, IDL, Gi Zone, etc)

-The ugliness of poser is its outdated UI, its horrible poke through issues with clothing

On the other hand...

- The beauty of Genesis is its autofit tool; Nothing better than to use Genesis with GenX and have a M4 / Genesis shape hybrid, load up an old piece of M3 or M4 or even V4 clothing and autofit does its business, smoothing and calculating the morphs to have " near perfect" clothing.

- The ugliness of Daz is its next to useless animation system and poor choice of lighting options (UberEnv is getting there but...)

My thoughts on the whole "Genesis in Poser"

- The beauty of having Genesis is the ability to use all your old content flawlessly, its great to be able to morph up a total unique character and have old clothes fit it. At the moment only solution I can see is use the DSON importer to load up genesis, morph it, save, then use "conforming clothing by D3D" or XDresser or Wardrobe Wizard for the clothing in doing this it takes away from the whole beauty of autofit having to jump out of one app to fire up a converter.

- Sadly with this release you have to generate poser companion files or thanks to Dimension 3D with a handy script this may not be the case, I have yet to try but here's hoping it works

- The Separate runtime is horrible, I could live with it if it was JUST for the Genesis figure, but as above splitting off two runtimes just for "poser comanion" content is a total time drain, if like me you have a huge library and pride yourself on keeping it tidy and organised, this will drive you insane.

My hopes would be in future an inapp autofit / conforming util is released alongside the DSON importer and the possibility of a shared runtime.

I'm gonna keep my eye on this as certainly having the choice to use Genesis in Poser is a real boon, as so far Daz allows alot of backwards compatibility with content, here's hoping the same can be made with Poser.

Oh and if anyone does have handy tips for a) bypassing 2 runtimes b) conforming clothing nicely please let me know !

What's your user experiences so far in terms of workflow ?

Post edited by Sasqwach on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,858
    edited December 1969

Why do you need 2 Runtimes? I have both the core files and the companion files in the same directory - the .duf files do, however, get duplicated (though with the addition of a DS companion file to load the .duf you coul access all the content from the Poser libraries in both applications - and I may well do that once I get around to creating or downloading companion files for non-core content).

• nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

I'm a Poser only user. And not a terribly experienced one. The only problem I had with installation was my incorrect reading of the directions. I am always leery of trying the first version of any software, but I came off quite well. Still waiting for some of the content I purchased to be converted. Interesting to see what the future brings. It is true that Daz is trying to get my money. It's nothing sinister. They're a business. That's what businesses do. They went out of their way to make a product that caught my attention. Interesting to see what the future brings.

• hal1hal1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

there is an easier way to use your old Gen4 clothes on genesis in poser : load it in DS and autofit them to genesis base first. Save them in duf format (with the sace/assets/figure command) and then generate your poser companion files.

Then you can use it in poser and it will conform right on genesis. You'll need transfer Genesis morphs to clothing with the transfer active morph like any other genesis piece of clothing.

The only things you will loose in the process are the ghost bones since they aren't conserved by the autofit.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

The documentation has really confused the DS owners! A lot of Poser owners don't sound like they've read it!

I actually got on very well with it once I realised that I hadn't installed the core content. It's a fantastic tool and one which I feel was long overdue. Now it's here and Poser users can use Genesis, V5 and M5 it's made the whole experience a lot more satisfactory and nobody feels like they're missing out. Once Reality for Poser gets here we'll have a level playing field again. The competitiveness between the two platforms got a bit self destructive. But hey, that was then and now looks good, as for tomorrow......

CHEERS!

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

Although, I've not been able to spent a lot of time at my computer for the last month because of a serious case of cellulitis and reactions to the antibiotics, I did spend some time working with the DSON importer. As usual, trying to find solutions to problems requires wading through too many threads/posts. It would be helpful to have a FAQ thread for DSON Genesis in Poser as there is for DS4.

I read through the instructions several times before attempting the install, then followed the instructions step by step. There are discrepancies between what the files are named in the instructions and what they are named in the order/downloads. This caused me a lot of confusion ... perhaps more than normal because of lack of sleep and the near constant itching from that antibiotic rash.

Genesis in Poser has some serious crumpling issues with the shoulders in poses I don't consider extreme or uncommon. This happens even with the Genesis poses.

Crumpled Genesis Shoulders

Using anything but the basic body man/woman shapes caused serious poke through with the base Genesis clothing.

The Poser morph tool doesn't work well ... at all ... with Genesis or Genesis clothing.

It's not clear how to change UV maps, so I've been limited to V4 textures.

While the DSON importer is a big step up from the previous process of getting Genesis into Poser, and I'm glad to see a solution that doesn't require DS4, it's not yet at a point where I am comfortable spending money on Genesis products. I may pick up a few PC clothing products, but Genesis in Poser doesn't yet compare favorably to the Gen 4 figures for me.

Hoddie said:
    Just curious as to what everyones user experiences have been so far with the DSON importer for Poser ?

I spent best part of the weekend trailing the DSON importer and my opinion would be "not yet".

I'm an ardent supporter of both Daz and Poser...Sadly tho my work flow is often split between the two, least it gives me a different approach and choice.

edited December 1969

To switch UV's you can get this:

http://www.mec4d.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=86

For getting Genesis clothes to fit, as far as I know, you can look up the DSON scripts in Poser's scripts dropdown, there's one for Transfer Morphs. If you select the clothing and run it this should make it fit.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

LOL! I put up a link to that Mec4D product in my previous post.

I know what you mean about Gen 5 looking like Gen 4 though, the other Gen 5 Elite textures, aside from the ones you get with V5 and M5 haven't been DSON'ed yet.

CHEERS!

• SasqwachSasqwach Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

Just a quick one sssgbryan and other users of GenX

http://d3d.sesseler.de/index.php?software=poserpython&product=dson_loader

"This simple Python script allows you to load DSON files for DAZ Studio 4 and up in Poser without requiring Poser companion files. Of course, you still need to install the DSON importer for Poser from DAZ 3D.

In particular, this script can be used to apply DSF/DUF shaping presets generated by Genesis Generation X to Genesis in Poser."

Free too

edited December 1969

After hiccups with AVG Anti Virus cutting in and crashing Poser and corrupt preferences, my final verdict is "YAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!"

The render below is V5 with Danae's Dublin texture via Mec4D's UV script, enjoy!!

V5-Dublin.jpg
    588 x 600 - 40K
  • estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

It's a little slow to work in poser and a bit of a fiddle. the clothing autofit is hit and miss in poser too. The zillions of morph dials make it hard to find stuff in the figure in poser. GenX is good and enables previous characters to be used again.
    But I'd say it is still a good thing. I will be happy when more daz files are converted for us to DSON. They have not added any new ones since the release really.
    Love esther

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

esther said:
    It's a little slow to work in poser and a bit of a fiddle. the clothing autofit is hit and miss in poser too. The zillions of morph dials make it hard to find stuff in the figure in poser. GenX is good and enables previous characters to be used again.
    But I'd say it is still a good thing. I will be happy when more daz files are converted for us to DSON. They have not added any new ones since the release really.
    Love esther

Tricks to get it faster:

If anybody has had problems with PP2012 becoming unresponsive when Genesis is loaded, go into your General Preferences and see if Multi-threaded Bending is checked. If it is, uncheck it. I had it checked and didn’t notice much when other figures were loaded as I have a quad core laptop. Since unchecking it I haven’t had any issues. (Touch wood!)

What Else is in the DSON Support Menu?

If you have looked at the DSON Support menu, you will have noticed two more options:

Preferences - This allows you to set the following:
    Copy Shader Tree on Material Change
    Set the Cache Folder
    Select the Writable Runtime Folder
    View the Log File
    Subdivision
    Set SubDivision Level 0
    Set SubDivision Level 1
    Set SubDivision OFF

If your viewport is moving too slowly, you can set the figure's subdivision to “OFF” while you work within the scene. Turn it back to its previous value before you render. Genesis defaults to SubDivision Level 1. (This can also be set in MeshResolution > SubDivision Level in the Parameter Pane.)

edited December 1969

Regarding the Mutli-threaded Bending issue, I was only going by my own experiences. It probably depends on the specifications of your computer. If you only have a dual core then definitely don't use it.

CHEERS!

• GregoriusGregorius Posts: 397
    edited December 1969

I just got a new computer, and as I thought it might, this enabled me to FINALLY install and run DSON without any errors! Here's a comparatively quick dial-up character (I must admit, I splurged on some morph packs). He's half Basic Male, half M5, and all awesome (with a sprinkling of Gen4 morphs thanks to GenX)!

Also, here's his female counterpart, appropriately named "Genni." I was originally going to post her here, but I'm having some difficulty getting her bikini top to fit her dialed-in bosom, so for now, and I don't think a topless female Genesis would be permitted here, so for now, we'll have to settle for a link via Rendo.

Mike5Small.jpg
    600 x 600 - 157K
    edited December 1969

Well done!

Glad it all worked for you.

Regarding the bikini top issue, did you use the Transfer Available Morphs script in the scripts menu? That usually sorts things out.

Merry Christmas!!

CHEERS!

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

Still having some issues with Genesis in Poser. My opinion, DSON is a step in the right direction, but still not quite there yet. Right now it feels like every time I fix something 2 more issues pop up.

edited December 1969

What are the issues?

I'm sure most of us will have had the same ones by now. Turning off 'Show progress on load' often helps.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

well the most recent one i have had is M5 just won't seem to work in PP2012. i've tried everything, when I dial up M5 or M5 Heroic, he just gets taller, no other changes

edited December 1969

Is he installed in the same place as Genesis? V5 and M5 are essentially part of Genesis and need to be in the same folders as it is.

If you open Genesis, are there morphs for M5 there? If there are and they don't work then M5 hasn't been installed properly. There should be folders in the runtime where Genesis is installed for M5.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

yup, he is installed right, the M5 morphs are in the same folder as the V5 morphs, Evolution, Creature, Troll etc, those all work, the M5 dials show up in Genesis but dialing them up only change his height, no other changes, he just looks like a taller version of basic male, i have redownloaded and reinstalled him numerous times, i even reinstalled DSON, no joy

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,836
    edited December 2012

I am just wonder, if you have installed the latest service release for Poser Pro 2012:
    http://poser.smithmicro.com/pro2012-updates.html
    I have just tried Michael 5 in Poser Pro 2012 SR3.1 and it works properly.
    Below are the two renders of him wearing Journeyer Scout clothes and Wild Mane hair. Default Poser lights.
    Click each of the images to see them enlarged.

M5Pose01pic01.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 75K
    M5Pose01pic02.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 147K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited December 1969

yes i have the latest SR for Poser, Remember V5, Evolution, Creature Creator, Troll, thosr all work perfectly, M5 is the only morph set not working

• GregoriusGregorius Posts: 397
    edited December 2012

Rogerbee said:

Well done!

Glad it all worked for you.

Regarding the bikini top issue, did you use the Transfer Available Morphs script in the scripts menu? That usually sorts things out.

Merry Christmas!!

CHEERS!

Thanks for the tip, but I actually did try that script. It works great for any kind of pants and any kind of male shirt! Female breasts, on the other hand, are still a challenge. It helps, but depending on the morphs dialed in, there's sometimes some poke-through left over. My next step is to try bringing my morph settings into DS4.5, use Daz's native fitting mechanism, and then export the resulting top. First, however, I need to figure out how to get my morph INJ pose to work in DS. Any tips in that regard?

Will I need to purchase a separate Auto-Fit plugin to do this, by the way?:

Post edited by Gregorius on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

LycanthropeX: it is not much help, but it works for me.
    The Michael 5 installer should be version 1.1.

edited December 1969

Kerya said:

yup, that is the one i installed

edited December 1969

Gregorius said:

Thanks for the tip, but I actually did try that script. It works great for any kind of pants and any kind of male shirt! Female breasts, on the other hand, are still a challenge. It helps, but depending on the morphs dialed in, there's sometimes some poke-through left over. My next step is to try bringing my morph settings into DS4.5, use Daz's native fitting mechanism, and then export the resulting top. First, however, I need to figure out how to get my morph INJ pose to work in DS. Any tips in that regard?

Will I need to purchase a separate Auto-Fit plugin to do this, by the way?:

Sounds like Auto-Fit would be needed, it's free right now too. I plan on trying DS out soon myself.

CHEERS!

• KalypsoKalypso Posts: 208
    edited December 1969

I found DSON very easy to work with although on my old system it can get a bit slow if I'm constantly trying out textures or clothes. I assume on a 64bit system it will probably be much smoother.
    Here I've used the default Genesis female with morphs by DieTrying converted by Sickle Yield and the free faces by Lully. The outfit is by Mada from the Winter Solstice freebies this year - thank you all, amazing stuff!
    Hair is Mitchell hair by SAV and textures by FWArt. I also used Mec 4d's uv switching script and used addy's Rayven character textures.
    I haven't actually bought anything for Genesis yet as I'm hoping to see more products supporting DSON and including Poser companion files - still waiting for the Lily Nymph dress to get updated :(
    On the other hand I'm still perfectly content using V4 for which I've got an extensive library of clothing, characters, textures, etc. And with the Perfect V4 system she bends just as well if not better than Genesis.

genny.jpg
    700 x 787 - 288K
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:

yup, that is the one i installed

Do you have the right verision of DSON installed? That could make a difference.

I got M5 and DSON working almost right off the bat, it was only realising that I hadn't installed the core content that held me up any.

I do also still wonder if you have all the files for M5 installed. You can go back and reinstall what you have a dozen times, but, if you didn't have all the files in the first place then that won't make any difference. There should be 2 installers:

13976_Michael5_1.1_trx

13976_Michael5PoserCF1.1_dpc

Install those and he should work.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

yup, i got the right version of DSON installed, and those 2 are the files i have installed and reinstalled nearly 100 times now. V5 and all other Genesis morphs are working perfectly, M5 does not work in Poser, M5 does work in Studio

I'm completely lost as to what the issue is.

edited December 1969

As are we,

I'd file a a bug report and see if anyone has any ideas.

CHEERS!